Cover Image: Shadow Play

Shadow Play

Don't you just love to begin reading a book and feel that you've slipped right into it in a comfortable, natural way? That's what it's like for me with a Detective Chief Inspector Bill Slider book from Cynthia Harrod-Eagles. This time a dead body has been found outside a motor repair business that is so isolated you have to be from that part of town to even know it exists. So who is the dead man and is there any significance for his body being dumped in Jacket's Yard? No way to identify the man so Slider's team has to begin this one with old fashioned methods of investigating.

All the crew is back in this story. I always look forward to finding out how Detective Superintendent Porson will mangle common sayings, but it's done in such a low key way that I enjoy the humor without feeling the boss is being poked fun at. Slider's family is always percolating along in the background but never to the extent that they take over the story and shove the mystery into the background. I also enjoy watching out for the vocabulary words I have to look up. Thanks, Ms. Harrod-Eagles for adding to my word cache. Although I'm having a hard time working crepuscular or uxorious into casual conversation.

For me, once again, a superb reading experience. I need to check over the past titles in this series because I have a feeling I've missed one or two along the way. Thank you to NetGalley and Black Thorn for an e-galley of this novel.
Bill Slider is a great character and I have enjoyed reading the books in this series. Good read and the author is good at describing the scene - I felt like I knew the part of London the book was set it. A fine installment in the series
Although part of a series this can be read as a stand alone, Fsi Slider and Ds Atherton are the 2 main characters and seem to work really well together with no upper handness

An unidentified man is found in a bidy repair shop and with no identification they need to learn the identity before the discover what lead him to being there and who had the need to kill him
Shadow Play by Cynthia Harrod-Eagles is a well written British police procedural. The story starts right out with the crime and slowly unfolds. I enjoyed the characters and how their stories were weaved into the storyline. The mystery kept me guessing, and the writer's humor was a nice touch throughout the book.

This book can be read as a standalone. I didn't feel I missed out on anything from not having read previous books.
I read the Kindle Edition.

4 stars

DCI Slider and DS Atherton respond to a body in a broken-down auto repair shop. The deceased is a well -dressed man completely out of place in that neighborhood. He has no identification on him. The shop owner says he does not know the man.

They begin the investigation by interviewing the local citizenry. They learn some interesting facts and local history about the owner of the shop but little else. They talk to Eli, the shop owner’s, wife and she basically unloads on them. Eventually, the dead man’s girlfriend comes in and identifies him. He is a Mr. King. She doesn’t know exactly who he worked for or what he did for a living.

The autopsy reveals many old fractures of Mr. King’s bones and other wounds that indicate that he has had a rough life. DCI Slider and his team begin to wonder if this guy was someone’s enforcer – like a crime boss.

This is a true police procedural. The story develops slowly and through patient and professional police work. They interview witnesses, follow clues and are proactive in identifying the man and seeking his killer.

This book is very well written and plotted as are all of Cynthia Harrod-Eagles’ novels. The suspense begins immediately, but builds rather slowly as the police investigation proceeds. I liked the way DCI Slider’s team pulled together at their mutual tasks. DCI Slider himself seemed a true professional. I have not read very many of Ms. Harrod-Eagles’ novels, but I am re-committed to reading more of them.

I want to thank NetGalley and Black Thorn for forwarding to me a copy of this great book to read and enjoy.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Severn House for an advance copy of Shadow Play, the twentieth novel to feature Bill Slider of The Met.

Bill and the team are called out to a suspicious death. The body of a man in his 50s has been found near a rundown backstreet garage but with nothing in his pockets to identify him the team have difficulty knowing where to start and Superintendent Porson wants them to keep it low key i.e. low budget. That changes when they identify the corpse and discover that he was positioning himself to blackmail a senior politician.

I thoroughly enjoyed Shadow Play. It is a straightforward police procedural where the slow uncovering of facts leads to the solution. It could be regarded as old fashioned but I prefer the term traditional in the sense that the narrative is told wholly from the investigators' point of view and it is up to the reader to try and get there first. I guessed bits of it but nowhere near the whole so it is an engrossing puzzle. I really like this approach and enjoy trying to work out the story of the murder. I also like the marrying of the traditional investigation with the latest technology where CCTV, ANPR and phone data play a large part.

As fits a more traditional novel characterisation plays second fiddle to plotting. The reader never really gets to know Bill Slider whom I suspect of being a bit bolshie under his calm exterior. The rest of the team are fairly interchangeable and I still had difficulty separating one from the other by the end of the novel. It's mostly unimportant as they work as a cohesive team although their bickering can be amusing.

Shadow Play is a good read which I have no hesitation in recommending.