Cover Image: Love and Marriage at Harpers

Love and Marriage at Harpers

Oh another absolutely stunning book by Rosie Clarke. I have loved this one even more than the first. The suffragette movement is talked about in this book and I’ve found myself completely pulled in and unable to put this one down. I’m so excited for the next book now.
I would like to thank NetGalley and the publisher for a copy of this book to read and review.
Returning to a setting is always a treat when you have loved the first book in the series and with Rosie's warm traditional writing style is is a pleasure.  The characters become friends and you cannot help but be drawn into all the emotions the plot expects.
I perfect way to escape. Loved it.
This was a new author for me. The plot and storyline were very well done.  the author kept me guessing. Such a wonderful story. I would definitely try another book by This author.
I loved this second book in the series adn can't wait for the next book.
We meet up with the girls from book 1 as they find their feet working at Harpers and look to find love. The characters are all beautifully written in a way that makes you genuinely care for them
Love and Marriage at Harpers by Rosie Clarke is the second novel in Welcome to Harpers Emporium series.  This is a series that needs to be read in order. I thought this historical novel contained good writing with engaging, developed characters.  The story flowed beautifully thanks to Rosie Clarke’s warm writing style.  I felt like I was joining the ladies in 1913 London.  The hats, jewelry and clothing descriptions allowed me to visualize them.  I could tell the author did her research for this series.  Women’s suffrage was a hot topic at the time especially Emmeline Pankhurst’s exploits.  The author included arrested suffragists going on hunger strikes, the “Cat and Mouse Act (horrible law), and the rumblings around Europe that will eventually lead to war.  Rachel Craven, Maggie Gibbs, Beth Grey and Sally Ross met when they applied for employment at Harper’s Emporium before it opened.  They became friends while working in the store and then roommates.  As they live and work together, they become a family.  The ladies are dating and falling in love in this story.  Ben Harper finally returns and tells Sally why he was away (he still should have written).  Jenni Harper visits and adds liveliness to the story.  Your emotions will run the gamut while reading Love and Marriage at Harpers.  I was sad when I reached the last page.  I am eager to find out what happens next to these ladies.  Love and Marriage at Harpers is a charming historical novel with suffragette supporters, a hectoring husband, sedulous salesgirls, a lively London, beloved beaus, and notable nuptials.
Rosie Clarke is one of the most talented writers of historical sagas writing today. Her stories are not only wonderfully vivid and immensely moving, but she always makes her readers feel every single emotion her characters are going through and we laugh, cry, despair and rejoice with them. Whether we are with the residents of Mulberry Lane or getting to know the Shop girls at Harpers, Rosie Clarke never fails to make us care about what her characters go through and that is certainly the case with her second novel in the Harpers series: Love and Marriage.

Life for these girls couldn’t possibly get any better. Not only are they extremely happy with their jobs at the Harpers Emporium on Oxford Street, but they are living under one roof as they find themselves united by their interest in women’s suffrage. In 1913, the time has come for women to start enjoying the same privileges and freedoms which men have taken for granted for so long and this fight for women’s rights has united these four girls and enabled and encouraged them to be stronger individuals, even though they are very much living in a man’s world where the opposite sex holds all the power.

Amidst all this uncertainty and upheaval, Sally, Beth, Megan and Rachel’s lives will continue to flourish and change as the world changes with them. With the gathering clouds of war fast approaching, the girls find themselves thrown headlong into new adventures and new challenges. But there is light at the end of the tunnel and as love and marriage come along to change their lives, the girls find themselves getting ready for a brand new chapter whilst also navigating through the many obstacles and dilemmas that will trouble their every day lives.

But throughout it all, their work at Harpers and their friendship and support will see them through even the darkest and most devastating of times because you never know what is around the corner and in times of great uncertainty, it will be your dearest friends who will be there for you with multiple cups of tea and shoulders to cry on.

I’m a huge fan of Rosie Clarke’s and with Love and Marriage at Harpers, she once again kept me absolutely glued to the book’s pages. A wonderfully written tale of friendship, romance and the ties that bind, Love and Marriage at Harpers is saga writing at its finest and readers looking for a vivid, enthralling and captivating read to lose oneself into, need look no further than this first-rate tale!
I have been a fan of Rosie's work for quite a while now.  I have tried to read as much of her back catalogue as I can, whilst at the same time keeping  pace with her new releases.  'Love & Marriage At Harpers' is Rosie's latest book and it was released on 3rd March 2020.  I thoroughly enjoyed 'Love & Marriage At Harpers' but more about that in a bit.
It didn't take me long at all to get into this story.  In fact by the time I got to the end of the first page, I felt as though I had been reunited with old friends.  Reading 'Love & Marriage At Harpers' was certainly addictive.  I would pick the book up only intending to read a couple of chapters but I was still sat there reading over nine chapters and a couple of hours later.  I totally immersed myself in the story and my sole focus was on the book and on the book alone.  Usually I have the attention span of a gnat and I am easily distracted but not in this case.  I got through the story far quicker than I had either anticipated or expected.  When I got to the end of the book I felt sad because it meant that I had to say goodbye to the staff of Harpers again.
Rosie Clarke has one of those warm and genuine writing styles that reads more like a chat between friends than an actual story.  I know that might sound silly to some but I know what I mean.  Rosie grabs your attention from the synopsis alone and the story contained within the pages of the book just seal the deal as it were.  Rosie uses such vivid and realistic descriptions that I felt as though I had been plucked from 2020 and transported in a time machine back to 1913, which is when the story is set.  I also felt as though I was part of the story myself and admiring the fashions and grandness of the Harpers Store.
I loved the way in which the girls had become involved in the Suffragette movement, which is a cause close to my heart, as I had a Granny who was a Suffragette.  I also studied the Suffragette movement and the 'Cat & Mouse Act', as part of my 'A Level' Modern History course.  Rosie has clearly done a lot of research into this time period and this shines through in the quality of her writing.
In short, I thoroughly enjoyed reading 'Love & Marriage At Harpers'.  It's another cracking read from Rosie Clarke and I heartily recommend that you read her books.  In fact I can't think of one of her books that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed.  I will definitely be reading more of Rosie's work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
Sally, Beth, Maggie and Rachel are enjoying living together and working as Harper’s girls. Harper’s is going well and keeping all the girls busy especially Sally who’s keeping everything ticking over  in the absence of Ben who is still in America. Beth is worried about her Aunt who definitely isn’t herself since her recent marriage. I really enjoyed catching up with the girls and recommend this book.
Exactly what I expected from this talented author: a wonderful second book in series!

Life at Harpers department store is busier than ever, and our four women are kept on their toes all day long. Now that they are sharing a home, their friendships are sealed and life is moving on for all of them . . .

I love Rosie Clarke's series'; I adored The Women of Mulberry Lane and, as I settled in to read this second book I realised that I cherish the characters in Harpers every bit as much. Each one is skilfully crafted, all with completely separate identities and yet they meld together beautifully. As time moves on, it's only natural that love and marriage will enter the equation but there is so much more to this book. Each woman's life is different to the other, and the author doesn't shy away from including the realities of life in the period setting. If ever women should be grateful to the Suffragist Movement, then this book will bring home exactly how much they could NOT do for themselves and how important using our vote is. With the story moving along at a scudding pace, there is also plenty of scope for a third novel and I find myself looking forward to it already. A superb read, as always, fully earning all five sparkling stars!

My thanks to the publisher for my copy via NetGalley; this is - as always - my honest, original and unbiased review.
If you love sagas you will love this book.The girls from Harpers Emporium are grown up and part of the Suffragette movement.Loved reading the history of that time and era.Celebrates the strong bonds of female friendships.Thoroughly enjoyed reading this book.
Thankyou Netgalley for this ARC
The beauty of this saga continues (book 2) The ladies join the suffogate movement, deal with love and marriage and of course continue to work at Harper's. This historical saga was very well researched and you feel like you are a part of these ladies clique. An extremely enjoyable read and can't wait to get the next book! Highly recommended!
I do hope there are more to come in the Harper stories!  The research that had gone into the historical side of the book is great and truly represented.
Great continuation of a good series.  Love the descriptions of life in London and the happenings in Harpers.  The girls are growing into smart women who are poised to take their places in a more modern world.  Cant wat=it  to see what happens to them next.
Was so pleased to be granted this book and then realised I had not read the first book - The Shop Girls of Harper’s.  So had to read that first this second book followed on very easily - enjoyed it throughly and although it involves quite a few characters they are so connected and the author reminds you or the past so you could easily enjoy as a stand-alone story of you wished.  Loved that all the girls worked in Harper’s and followed their stories of love and relationships and it was very interesting and I was totally absorbed.   if you love a proper conclusion and want to “escape”then I highly recommend you  read this book.    Rosie Clarke is an amazing talented author.
This book is as good as the first one in this series.
I was happy to keep on reading this saga and I found it entertaining and engrossing.
A good read, recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
Love and Marriage at Harper’s.   Another good job by Rosie Clarke   by the 2nd page I was back with the Harper girls.
Following the lives of each of the girls separately and as a team kept me reading on and finished in no time.
Thoroughly enjoyed it. Worth all 5stars.
Thank you to Net Galley and Boldwood Books for the chance to read and review this book. I really love this series-the author makes you feel like you know all of these women. I really like the setting of Harper's Emporium at Oxford Street. It is so fun to learn about how stores use to cater so much to their customers. I read the first book in this series, and really enjoyed it. The story continues with the ladies becoming involved in the suffragette movement as well as dealing with love and marriage. Highly recommend! I can't wait for the next installment in this series!
Love that the Harpers book has now moved on to the suffragettes. If you love family sagas this is a must for you. Cant wait for more to come
Rosie Clarke has done it again, what a lovely novel back with the Harper girls. This follows on from her last book about the London store and leaves you wanting even more. I was so sorry when the end came but I am hoping that we are going to hear more of the store and the girls who have become great friends. Work, loves, lives, happiness and sadness makes for this lovely great novel. This should be a 10 star book but I am only able to give it 5. Great work Rosie Clarke.
This was a lovely book to read. It had a good set of characters, mostly ladies who worked at Harpers. This was a large department store. There was one horrible character but he did not get away with his crime. The story was simple and not overcomplicated, keeping me interested until the end . I recommend that you read the book.