Cover Image: Madame Fiocca

Madame Fiocca

A wonderful historical novel based on the true story of Nancy Wake, a journalist who fought against the injustices done by the Nazis in occupied France. I enjoyed this story about a fascinating and brave woman, who I had never heard of before.
Thank you for the opportunity to read and review this book! I received a complimentary copy of this book through Netgalley. The views and opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
I couldn't resist this one. First the cover and then the story itself.

The story follows Nancy Wake who started out as a traveler and journalist. She catches the eye of the wealthy industrialist Henri Fiocca and they eventually marry. As the clouds of war start to swarm over Europe and Paris falls, Nancy finds herself being drawn into the heart of an escape network and plays the deadly game of espionage.

I had heard of Nancy Wake but I really didn't know much and any real details. I was excited to read this and then do some googling afterward ;)

Part 1 was okay (a little slow paced - if I am to be honest here), but part 2 was AMAZING. I was hooked and couldn't put this down.I had no idea how this was all going to end. I was so worried about all of Nancy's friends, hubbie, and her little dog. It took all my power not to look at google and find out the answers before finishing this. LOL.

This was well written and seemed well researched. Lots of details and lots of info. Sometimes it felt a little like a history book here and there. However, I did really like this and I was hooked. I do want to read more by this author!

I loved Nancy. She is a true hero! I really enjoyed her story and I want to read more/watch about her. Made me tear up a couple of times.

Can I just say how beautiful this cover is??? Lovely!

Overall, I really adored Nancy and her story. She is a real hero! This was well written and it seemed pretty well researched. Made me curious to learn more about Nancy! I'll stamp this with 3 stars.
I really liked it! I love books in this time period. It kept my attention from beginning to end. The characters are interesting and keep developing through out the story! :)
Thank you NetGalley for a complimentary copy.  I voluntarily reviewed this book.  All opinions expressed are my own.

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
I always like discovering historical figures of significance previously unknown to me, even better if it's a woman. Nancy Wake was one of the brave women doing her part for WWII victory. She was remarkable and inspiring. I recommend reading this book to learn more. It's informative, compelling and insightful with a heroine to remember. Great overall!
Wow, this was a great read. I really enjoyed the story of Nancy Wake, an Allied spy in WWII. Great read!

Many thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
This is a great piece of historical fiction based on real events.  Nancy Wake was an inspiration.  Not only did she assist others in escaping the Nazis, but she was able to continue on after losing her husband to them.  The independence and courage this hero displayed is admirable and the author did a brilliant job of showcasing it
Simply, superb.  Enjoyed every minute of this well-written, fantastic book.  I thoroughly enjoyed the World War II facts.  This book was obviously well-researched.
Thank you to Netgalley and Books Go Social for this advanced reader's copy. This book was an account of the life of Nancy Wake, someone I hadn't heard of before but definitely am keen to know more. It took me a little while to get into the book but I'm glad that I stuck with it. A very enjoyable read.
Nancy Wake wants more from life than to stay in her homeland of Australia.  After receiving some money from her Aunt, Nancy travels the world and lands in Paris.  Nancy finds work as a journalist in the 1930's as Hitler's rise to power overtakes Europe.  During this time Nancy meets Henri Fiocca, a wealthy French industrialist and known playboy.  Nancy and Henry eventually fall for each other's charms and settle in Marseilles.  As Hitler's influence encroaches on France, Nancy knows she can not sit back and do nothing.  Together, Nancy and Henri join the Resistance to help people escape and then, after eluding capture Nancy joins the Special Operations Executive and is training in everything from parachuting to weapons and hand to hand combat becomming one of the most valuable members of her team as well as one of the most hunted by the Gestapo.

I love when books introduce me to real women whom I had never heard of before.  Nancy Wake was truly an extraordinary woman who made brave choices in order to help the Allies win World War II.  From the beginning, I knew that Nancy was going to be an amazing character.  She clearly knew what she wanted in life, had strong opinions, was able to teach herself many things and was not afraid to add her voice.  Nancy also had the opportunity to witness first hand the terrors that Hitler's rule forced upon other people.  I think this was a large influence upon her actions.  I was constantly amazed at Nancy's ability to keep going and do whatever it took to help with efforts during the War.  I do wish that the writing gave a little more insight into Nancy's inner thoughts and feelings to really give it a personal feeling.
This book was received for free in return for an honest review.
This book was received for free in return for an honest review.
This book is based on the amazing life of Nancy Wake. It would've been a 5 star read for me if the beginning hadn't taken so long to get into, but the rest keeps you very interested!
My thanks to the Publishers via NetGalley for the opportunity to read this in exchange for an honest review. I gave this a 4 stars or 8/10.

This is a story woven around the true story of Nancy Wake, one of the Gestapo's most wanted during the second World War. Suzy Henderson has woven a narrative that has been researched by her well. It's quite clear that she has done the research as she includes some Author's notes and references factual books on the true story of Nancy Wake.

I enjoyed reading about Nancy aka known as Madame Fiocca among other names, she was a woman that had a mission to do her best to help others during the war, she worked as a spy and aided the escape of service men. It's made me want to read more about her life. At times you could almost imagine that you were there with them in occupied France. We can only imagine what it must have been like to be frightened for your life and the chances of being caught by the Germans who had no problem at all carrying out extreme measures on the people that they caught and imprisoned.hanks to the Pub
I truly enjoyed this book. I had heard very little about Nancy Wake and this story made me want to read more about her. As a new citizen of Paris, Nancy has a successful career in journalism and ends up meeting the love of her life, Henri. When Nancy begins to understand the atrocities that are being committed by the Germans, she vows to do everything she can to defeat them. At the outset, she is a courier for the Resistance but is then forced to leave France due to the Nazi's looking for her. Her time away just reaffirms her devotion to ridding the world of Nazis and becomes more embedded in the workings of the Resistance.

This was my first book by this author and felt that she did a wonderful job. I can't wat to see what she comes up with next.
What an incredible story that becomes almost more unbelievable when you realize that this is based on the true account of Nancy Wake, a reporter for the Hearst Newspaper. The author has done a fabulous amount of research to bring this history alive. Certainly the actions of those in the various Resistance groups are not unknown to us, but this is the first time I have read such an in-depth account of one who helped fight the Nazis in the only way she could. The White Mouse, the name the Gestapo gave her, was on their most wanted list. Somehow she continues her dangerous work right under their noses. Her courage and fortitude certainly are worth remembering.

Reading this book is time well-spent! I learned so many more details about the horror of WW2 and how we must all pray and be vigilant that this atrocity should never be repeated.

Thanks to NetGalley and Avis Press I had the opportunity to read this memorable book. My impressions and comments were in no way solicited.
Great story. I really enjoyed the story. The author does a wonderful job of describing the era and capturing the essence of the characters. I'd read non fiction accounts of Nancy Wake, but to read about her in fiction was another way to enjoy her amazing life. She was such a hero of her time.
Found it difficult to read, Have read much historical fiction and did not finish this book. I would not recommend this book for purchase or a book club.
As this book was based on a real person I was excited to be given the chance to read it .The book is well written, keeping me in suspense wondering if Nancy is going to survive. She was a really brave person during the second world war working against the Gestapo. I did not realise how brave she was and learned a lot about the war.. I recommend that you read this book.
I have just finished Madame Fiocca, and I'm stunned. There are some books that, when you've finished them, you pick up the next one and start reading.
This is not one of those books.  I'm going to have to sit with it and mull it over for a week or so, just to take it all on board.  I suspect I'll go back and re-read it several time, in order to do it justice.

I wanted to read this book because as a woman in New Zealand, I've grown up hearing about Nancy Wake and her work with the French Resistance in World War Two. In fact, when I mentioned the book while I was reading it, every single Kiwi knew exactly who I was talking about.
What I didn't realise was what an amazing woman she was before the war started. And of course the sheer magnitude of what she'd done and survived during the war.

Suzy Henderson has done a great job of portraying Nancy - to the point where I was surprised to learn that the author wasn't Australian or a New Zealander.

Usually I skip over the battle scenes - I struggle to picture what's going on and follow along with it. But the way this book was written, it was as if I was right there, looking over her shoulder and seeing everything firsthand.

I can't recommend this book highly enough.  But I will recommend it far and wide.
A stunning novelized bio on Allied spy Nancy Wake, once #1 on the Gestapo’s most wanted list.

What sets this apart from all the other books on Wake is the author’s engaging writing style and her imagined take on Nancy’s rich inner life. Henderson adds emotional depth that endears Wake forever to us.

You will be inspired, heartbroken, and left asking the question: “Could I do what Nancy did?”

Pub Date 13 Dec 2019

Thanks to BooksGoSocial, the author and NetGalley for the review copy. Opinions are mine.

#MadameFiocca #NetGalley
Based on a true story, the life of Nancy Wake is well explored in this historical book. Working against the Nazis during WWII, she was a freedom fighter for the French Resistance, a journalist, and so much more. Well written and compelling.
Fascinating story based on the life of Nancy Wake, the resistance fighter. A British journalist who covered stories throughout Europe and met people involved with the French resistance against the Nazis.

"Nothing was certain, but the present moment was perfect."

Brave, independent woman. This was another late read until the end! Suzy Henderson did a fantastic job on this must read novel! I will be reading more from her.

Thank you to publisher and NetGalley for the eARC