Cover Image: Crocodile's Crossing

Crocodile's Crossing

Crocodile has a nice home and everything he needs until things start getting bad and he has to flee. No matter where he tries to go, someone doesn’t want him. Until finally, he finds a place. He learns to love his new place, even though everything is so different.

A beautiful book to open the conversation about immigration. Crocodile, with his big green body and scary (although not too scary) white teeth, has a hard time getting accepted in safe places because he looks big and scary. But Crocodile has feelings and hopes, just like everyone else.

As an educator, I’ll use Crocodile’s Crossing to open a conversation about immigration, hosting, and colonialism with my high school history class. Parents will love the questions Crocodile’s Crossing brings up and fitting in and accepting others.

The illustrations are bright and delightful and full of talking points.
Crocodile’s story begins with a rocket’s eye view of planet Earth and this line... “Everything will be better where I’m going, he thought. But where is that?”

Crocodile must leave his home behind due to misfortunes and food shortage.

Crocodile’s journey across the sea takes him to towering cities, arid deserts, and lovely countrysides. All are beautiful and unique, but each is more unwelcoming than the last. Crocodile is told over and over that this is “NOT YOUR LAND.”

Frustrated, he decides to nap and dreams of safe and happier times when he was with friends and family. He wakes to a community of nice mice who are happy to take him in even though he is very much unlike the mice. Crocodile slowly learns the ways of the mice and begins to build fresh, and happy memories. He’s happy, yet something is missing. Enter the family and Crocodile’s joy is complete.

There are a few messages here... acceptance, rejection, Immigrants, perseverance, family.

The art work was my favorite. It is very detailed and I enjoyed studying the illustrations especially Crocodile’s expressions.

This would be a good thought provoking book to introduce the topic of refugees and immigrants.
Staying home is not always a choice, but HAVING a home may not be a choice we can make for ourselves. Written and illustrated by YOERI SLEGERS, this recent release blends recognizable global spaces with human attitudes and issues and emotions regarding a surprising central character: Crocodile.
Questions arise on the cover, continue throughout each spread, and resonate with an essential question on the back cover.
This engaging and hopeful tale is a parable for our modern world. Crocodile's colorful cover image brightly hints at his isolation and desperate journey, including continental geo-markers and, if you look closely, a lurking shark.  Then endpapers instantly imply the stark reality of Crocodile's situation, overlaying global maps slashed with random arrows and routes, evidence of attempts launched and halted sporadically and unsuccessfully.
My reaction to this effective shift in tone was the thought: Where IS home?

The title and credits spread reveals Crocodile fishing to survive, alone, in a makeshift vessel of hope. I was especially taken with the thought that his natural traits (those many sharp teeth, for example) were not softened, yet his expressive eyes, body language, and circumstances made me care about him.
The first page turn echoes the cover but provides a more ominous perspective: a vivid awareness of his failure to find a safe harbor, more sharks, and a pulled-back perspective that isolates him even further. And yet the opening text of that first page reveals his resilient nature:

"Crocodile was on his way.
He was tired. Scared. Hopeful.
Everything will be better
where I'm going, he thought.
But where is that?"

Throughout this and every page that follows the minimal text is suffused with charm and wit, despite Crocodile's escalating struggles. Nuanced and detailed illustrations confirm that Crocodile's original home was once a safe and sociable place, until "trouble" suddenly makes it unsafe, threatening life and limb. With a sad farewell and wearing a red backpack, Crocodile is forced to seek a new HOME. Within the space of a few pages and words, his search is rejected, his identity assaulted, and his intentions are challenged. His resources depleted, his empty nights are filled with dreams of the home he left behind.
Then the mice discover him.

Interior: Crocodile's Crossing: A Search for Home (Flyaway Books)

I particularly loved this aspect of the story: this is not one compassionate mouse pulling a thorn from a lion's paw, but an advanced community of mice who recognize a wandering soul in need of a home. (By the way, the pages with mice provide an open invitation to explore each and every little mouse, their expressions, roles, and relationships to the others.)

I've already revealed far too much, but I hope you trust my promise that the ending is satisfying on every level. There is nothing about it that is trite, but everything about it is universal.
The subtitle, A Search for Home, says it all.
This is an entertaining story with delightful characters and visual appeal. The essential theme elevates it from general appeal to a book of lasting value. We can all learn something from Crocodile and the community of mice who recognized and empathized with another creature in need.
Even one with very sharp teeth.
Even when the seeker didn't look anything like them.
Insert one adjective into that essential rhetorical question from the back cover:
"What happens when MY home can't be home anymore?"
I received an ARC through NetGalley from Flyaway Books. My son said this was a sad book even though it had a happy ending. I think that was really perceptive and demonstrated the impact of the book’s message. Things aren’t going well and Crocodile leaves his home. He can’t find a place where he is accepted, finally some mice are kind to him and he learns their ways. At the end Crocodile’s family comes to be with him. Ultimately, this is an immigrant or refugee story. It is hard to miss your home and not go back, even if you find a new place that works for you. The illustrations were good. The ending felt a little abrupt. There is definitely room to talk about Crocodile’s experience with children. Recommended ages 4-7.
This is a story of a crocodile whose home is no longer safe for him and his family, so he begins a search for a new one.  It's a gentle and touching story about a refugee.  Children will feel empathy for the plight of Crocodile, and he's also a hero to root for. I highly recommend this story.

Thanks to #netgalley and #flyaway books for the advance reading copy.
I found the story to simplistic and the pictures to detailed to be part of the same book for my younger students,
Crocodile's Crossing is a sweet little book that opens up the discussion on what it might be like for a refugee who must leave his home. I was confused about the crocodile's age as I thought he was a child throughout the book but at the end he was wearing a tie and greeting his family?
Just read a heartwarming new book #CrocodilesCrossing #NetGalley by Yoeri Slegers, an immigration story that shows how hard it is to leave a place you love and find your place in a new community.
I received an ARC of this book though NetGalley, and boy, am I glad I did. Through the eyes of Crocodile, this book so lovingly and carefully portrays what life would be like for an immigrant child (interestingly, at the end of the book in the illustration, it appears that Crocodile is a Dad.  My impression throughout the book was that he was a child on his own, but that may be because it's a children's book and he is the main character). This book would be a wonderful way to introduce students to what life might be like as an immigrant, why people feel the need to leave their homes, and the importance of welcoming others even if they don't look exactly like you.  I loved this book.
Immigration is an hot issue. Kids might be negatively affected. Crocodile's Crossing has explained very neatly for immigrant and host country children. A definite bestseller nominee.
I received an electronic ARC from Flyaway Books through NetGalley.
Slegers has created a relatable story for elementary level readers. Crocodile has to flee his home for reasons beyond his control. He finds new places but doesn't feel at home. Then he faces nastiness from those who live there. Finally, he finds a place and people who welcome him even though he's different. He tries new foods and adapts to the new environment. Finally, he's at peace when his family joins him there.
The illustrations are meaningful to support the story. My heart broke on one spread where all he faced were literal signs of anger and hate.
Lovely way to describe what so many are going through in our world. Plenty of discussion topics for a family or class to compare and contrast their own and others journeys.
This book touches my heart as I work with so many who met this type of reaction on top of the emotional and physical damage done in their homelands. This book will be an excellent tool for helping younger readers share their emotions and responses.
I really enjoyed this picture book. It would be a great resource to young children to help explain immigration and refugees.  It also helps to show that people should not be afraid of someone different. I will purchase this for my elementary library.
An engaging story that explores what it means when home is not home anymore and life has thrown a curve.  Applicable to immigration certainly, with a crocodile who must search for a new home among places that are not immediately welcoming while leaving his family behind, this story could also open conversations about friendship, homelessness, and perseverance.  The handling of this tough subject matter is done in a way that feels safe for very small readers and listeners, as well as sophisticated enough for deeper conversation and themes of older readers as well.

Thank you to NetGalley for the opportunity to review this book as a digital ARC in return for a fair and honest review.
I requested and received an e-ARC of this book from NetGalley and Flyaway Books in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book, but I wish it had been slightly longer with a few more details about Crocodile’s journey and how he and his family reunite.  That being said, this book would help parents and teachers begin the conversation about immigration and refugees with children.

#CrocodilesCrossing #NetGalley
Crocodile is searching for somewhere to call his home. He loved his last home but it became too dangerous to stay, so he set out in search of safer shores. New places meant new words, new foods, and, of course, new problems. Many places he traveled to would not accept his big scary teeth or tough green skin and shooed him on his way. Eventually, Crocodile runs out of supplies and is so tired of searching, but he awakes in a new land with a community that accepts him and changes his life.

This is an immigrant story for children, with a crocodile as the main character, fleeing his home and the bad things happening there, including a lack of food. He has a family and friends just like him but he stands out in the new places he travels to and isn't always welcome.

There's a great lesson within this story. We see the very real issues that immigrants face all over the world while looking for a place to belong to. It's something that could happen to any of us. Luckily, Crocodile finds his happy ending in a place where he is valued and can contribute to the community!

The full-spread illustrations are fantastic, with great bird's eye perspectives to show Crocodile's travel around the world and fun, emotive animals. I love how the cover tells us exactly what the story is about. The end pages similarly seem to tell us how chaotic and confusing it is to not know where to go or where you are going.
What happens when home can't be home anymore?

Crocodile's home is no longer safe and livable. He is out to search for a new place to live. He searches far and wide but no one seems to welcome him because he is too green or scary. In his continued search, he finds mice that welcome him and help. He finally feels safe.

A great read to talk about what home means and how we can make others feel safe. The illustrations are kid friendly and the message is one that will last a life time.

A Special Thank you to Flyaway Books and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
This is a lovely book about a crocodile who must leave his home because it is no longer safe and he travels all over looking for a new one. People in the places he travels to judge him as scary and make assumptions about him. It's clearly an immigration metaphor but it is a subtle one that works well. The art is beautiful and the tone hopeful. This is a book that can give children subtle insight into what it's like to be a refugee and how people (and crocodiles?) all just want a place where we can be safe and happy with those we love. Recommended.

I read a temporary digital ARC of this book for the purpose of review.
This is a sweet story that can be used to talk about immigration and what the new students might be going through. It manages to tell about leaving your home forever without being sad or maudlin.
This is a simple little story about a crocodile searching for a new home after trouble comes to his homeland.

It's basically a metaphor about refugees, told in an accessible way with a nice crocodile as the main character. After leaving his home, he finds it difficult to fit in anywhere. Others judge him for his appearance, and he struggles to find his place. Eventually, some mice open their hearts to him and he finds what he's been looking for. Only one thing is missing: his family.

The story is very simple, but effective. I was a little confused about Crocodile's age, though. I assumed, since this is a children's book, that he was young. But then he left his family behind and set out on his own. (I know this happens, but it's kind of a scary concept, especially since he's depicted as sort of floundering without any support or kindness shown to him.) At the end, though, it appears that he has a wife and child. I'm not sure if kids are going to be able to relate to that; perhaps it would have been better to tell the story from his child's point of view.

This would definitely be a good book to start a conversation about refugees and the reasons they might have for leaving their homes behind. Overall, it's a solid book (if fairly forgettable).