I Made a Mistake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

A chance meeting with a past lover. Our chief protagonist  dissatisfied with her life but unable to put a finger on the reason. A fatal error of judgment on her part and a series of events are put into place that will culminate in a murder . A much loved mother in law who observes this series of events uses her own backstory and tragedy from several decades in the past to be relived in an effort to allow understanding of this family destroying situation. A court case, two generations of family reliving the harrowing events of their lives and the ultimate denouement defining who did what to whom. A well crafted story, a believable and familiar situation followed by a complex and terrifying set of events, culminating in a surprising conclusion. Many thanks to publisher and NetGalley for ARC.
We all make mistakes. Some large, some small. Many do not have long lasting repercussions. However, sometimes a seemingly small decision or a choice can lead to far reaching consequences that can have a lifelong effect. In ‘I Made A Mistake’ choices are made that are devastating to all concerned. Poppy is a happily married, mother of two with a thriving business. A chance meeting with her first love threatens everything. Can she resist him? Her Mother-in-Law, Betty is her rock and helps with her family, even holds them all together. She however, has her own story to tell and the book alternates between her early years as a young wife and mother and Poppy’s own life. Secrets and lies gradually catch up with the characters as lives unravel amid the resulting devastation. A well written story that developed as a slow burn rather than one with plenty of high drama. However, it was a definite page turner and as the startling truths were revealed, I was hoping somehow for a happy ending. Whether there was or not, you will need to read it for yourself.
A fun easy read. Brilliant twist at the end - I did not see coming!
I'm a big fan of Jane Corry will be recommending this to others.
4 stars.
This is a story full of people making mistakes told by Betty (the mother-in-law) and Poppy. It's a domestic thriller that examines what happens when love dies between a married couple and the consequences this can have. For Betty, married in the 1960s, the consequences of a loveless marriage and fling were different from the consequences encountered by Poppy, but as the book draws to a close, no less detrimental. It is an interesting read from a social perspective, particularly Betty's situation as a young married mother, but unfortunately, I didn't really gel with either character. Poppy is a busy theatrical agent, harried and constantly flying by the seat of her pants. But this was presented as a given, I couldn't actually see any evidence for this stress. Nor could I understand why she and her husband didn't tackle the distance in their relationship long before events forced them to.

It's a shame because the book started off with a bang, but very quickly ran out of steam, and the ending seemed to drag. The catalyst for all the events in the book is Poppy's meeting with Matthew. However, this was so briefly mentioned, and Matthew as a character had no agency, so I didn't ever feel any tension or threat.

My thanks go to the publishers and Net Galley for the advanced copy in return for an honest review.
A big mistake and you will pay for it. A lovely heartwarming story told by two women. Poppy in the present and Betty reminisces about her past. Both stories are engaging but Betty’s story shows how much women’s lives have changed in such a short time. An eye opener and a must read.
In a nutshell Poppy has a loving yet lacking in lust marriage. She bumps in to her first love she has never gotten over at a work event and soon finds herself having an affair. This prompts her to realise how much she loves her family and ends in murder. Cliched in every way possible but thoroughly enjoyable.

This is the perfect 'wrap yourself in a blanket with plenty cups of tea' read for a relaxing weekend.
This was an enjoyable thriller. I loved the way the story unfolded and was somewhat intertwined. Although it wasn't particularly fast paced, it kept me engaged.

A recommended read.

Thank you Penguin Book UK and NetGalley.
There’s not just one mistake here, there are several. Poppy Page is a character I enjoyed but I loved her mother-in-law Betty.  To be fair, all her characters are skilfully drawn, even those I did not like.  The book is full of twists and turns, some which I guessed and some that shocked me into a scream (or two).  The book begins gently, then speeds up until you can’t escape.  Even if you wanted to, which I’m sure you would not.  Lots of emotional depth in this book.  The storytelling is wonderful.  I loved reading the letters from Betty, my favourite bit of the book.

This book was expertly plotted you realise once you have finished, but you aren’t aware of it as you read, which is a skill indeed.  I loved thinking back to the 60s with Betty’s letters and knew I would forgive Betty anything as I loved her character and her story.  Betty struggles in a dreadful marriage in which she stays because of their son Stuart, the dentist husband of Poppy.  Poppy and her husband’s marriage is wilting at best, as they are both so involved in their careers to the detriment of their relationship.  So when Poppy meets up with an old love, it isn’t surprising that the mistake of the title happens.

This is a great read, and thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy.  It will keep you up reading until the early hours to finish, so please time the ending well!
I really enjoyed this book!  A great story line that kept me hooked and excellent main characters.  I would highly recommend this book.
Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for letting me to review this book.
A bit long winded in some places but overall a well written story.
This is the first Jane Corry book I have read and I will look out for her previous novels. An interesting tale about all aspects of life, post natal depression, bullying husbands, adultery etc - I do feel that the whole gamut of problems was included into this story. It is told by two parallel stories that show that nothing is new, it has all happened before. Lots of twists and turns in the plot line, some well telegraphed, some not. A good read.
Thank you to Net Galley and the publisher for the ARC of this book
"In Poppy Page's mind, there are two types of women in this world: those who are faithful to their husbands, and those who are not. Until now, Poppy has never questioned which she was.

But when handsome, charming Matthew Gordon walks back into her life after almost two decades, that changes. Poppy makes a single mistake - and that mistake will be far more dangerous than she could imagine."

This book is told from two different narratives :
Poppy Page an unfulfilled actress who runs an Extras Agency and lives with her dull dentist husband and 2 children and is stuck in a rut.
We also have letters from Betty, her mother-in-law who explains to Poppy about all the mistakes she has made in her life and her loveless marriage to Stuart's Dad, Jock.
The third interjection in the story is details of a Criminal Court murder case taking part, but that is all we know.

Enter Matthew, an old actor flame of Poppy's and sparks begin to fly and mistakes are made.  Then follows the inevitable secrets and lies, but Betty's letters keep on coming into the story to reassure Poppy that we all make mistakes.

The story was a bit muddly and confusing in places and I felt it went on a little too long for my liking, but it was a great book to get stuck into and wonder what you would have done in Poppy's or Betty' shoes.
This is the first book of Jane Corry's that I have read and she really is a wonderful story teller. I was really pulled in from the beginning and found it quite addictive.

For me Betty was the main character although she was introduced as an also ran, she was also the only character I actually liked as the rest were so selfish or weak,  it was also her story that was the most interesting and viable.

I plan to keep an eye out for other works by this author.
Another fantastic Jane Corry book. I couldn’t put this book down. Poppy Page is drifting apart from her husband and meets her ex-boyfriend at a party. The story is told from two perspectives-Poppy’s and that of her mother in law Betty who has her own story to tell.
A fantastic read and I can’t wait for the next Jane Corry.
I have loved Jane Corry's previous books but this one had me confused with the different story lines. Maybe it is just me, but I didn't enjoy this as much as Jane's previous work
It has been such an honour discovering Jane Corry. Her storytelling capabilities are out of this world. When I saw that this book was available on Netgalley, I just had to request and was OVER THE MOON when it got accepted.

So firstly, thank you to Netgalley and Penguin UK for the eArc of 'I Made A Mistake' in exchange for an honest review. I have read three books by the author so far and all of them are unique and addictive; all have electrifying plots and storyline with such interesting and complex women protagonists. Although this is not my favourite out of the three, I enjoyed it nevertheless. I loved how the story unravels! It was a tad slow for my liking but I find that books written by the author have such satisfying twists and ending.

If you're looking for a new thriller author to root for, please look out for Jane Corry.
Kudos!
I think the story line is good.  I like the main themes: how little people know about those they share their lives with, and how people hide their weaknesses and insecurities.   There are some interesting twists and turns and some surprises, but I found that I couldn't really believe in the characters.  Poppy is annoying, Betty is just unbelievable, the others are one-dimensional.  I kept asking myself if Betty could really have emerged from her terrible marriage to become the perfect mother, grandmother, mother-in-law, pursuing all her self-improvement activities?

Frequently too I was irritated by statements of the obvious tacked on to the ends of paragraphs, and descriptions of the characters repeated many times, e.g. Matthew with his 'dark hair swept back ... and a determined nose'.  What precisely is a determined nose?

Finally, before publication, please correct the few words in French which are grammatically incorrect!
I was expecting a rather standard psychological thriller when I began this book.  However, it is actually a taut story with a distinctive narrative arc and some really interesting characters.  Following the events which hit Poppy Page, owner of an Extras Agency, after she re-encounters an old boyfriend, this book is gripping and interesting.  Highly recommended.
A thriller this is not. It has to be the most clichéd book I have every read.
Domestic abuse, post natal depression, abortion, infidelity, suicide, murder, the list goes on.
The story is told from two points of view, and this is getting tiring, everyone is doing it and most times it drags out a book as the story repeats.
Poppy is weak willed and spineless and I have no sympathy whatsoever with her. Betty her mother in law isn't much better. Her story of going around to her friend's house every day to help just doesn't ring true. She didn't live next door. She would never have had the energy, especially as she had a husband who did nothing about the house.
A really laborious and dull read. Not an author I will be reading again.

Thank you to NetGalley and the Publisher for my ARC in return for an honest review.
Poppy, who runs and "Extra agency" and Stuart, a dentist have been married for 20 years and have 2 daughters.  The couple are becoming more and more distant as both their careers and the stress of raising a family mean they are spending less and less time together.

Poppy attends an event for extras where she meets up with her first love Matthew, from Drama school. As the story progresses, Poppy has a one night stand with Matthew which she regrets immediately.  Matthew then through various nefarious ways and lies makes Poppy's life a misery.  The story switches between this storyline and a court case for a murder which come together at the end.

Another compelling character and storyline running through this book revolves around Stuart's mother Betty who is writing a letter to Poppy giving her story from teenage to present day relating her troubled life with her late husband Jake and a troubling guilty secret she has been keeping.

There are many twists and turns in this book and several reveals that took me entirely by surprise and that is no easy fete.  Jane Corry has done it again.  I highly recommend this book and this author as she never fails to deliver.

Thanks to Netgalley and Publisher Penguin for allowing me an ARC copy of this book for a fair and honest review.