Cover Image: Work It, Girl: Michelle Obama

Work It, Girl: Michelle Obama

“. . . ‘as women and girls, we have to confront those negative voices — the ones in our head and the ones from people in our lives — telling us what we can’t do,’ Michelle said in an interview in 2018.”

This is another from the Work It Girl series of books for children. This one is aimed at older children rather than little kids, although the little ones will like the pictures and might enjoy a briefly edited version read to them by parents. There is a lot of text.

I included a few of the interesting collage illustrations in my Goodreads review. They vary greatly, so some don’t look as much like Michelle as others, but they do represent her attitude.

First illustration is of Michelle as a student, loving to study and learn

There’s a lot here – how she grew up on Chicago’s South Side; how she skipped second grade; and how a college advisor crushed her dreams by saying ”I’m not sure that you’re Princeton material.”

He brother Craig was already at Princeton, and Michelle had her heart set on going there, too. Did I say crushed? Only briefly. Her neighbour was the assistant principal and knew her well. He wrote a letter of recommendation, and she was accepted!

“Michelle said that she and her fellow black peers ‘stuck out like poppy seeds in a bowl of rice.’”

She made friends, faced family tragedies, and was then crushed once again when a professor said he wasn’t sure she could make it into Harvard Law School, where she had set her heart on going. Ah, but she’d learned one important lesson! See above – don’t tell her what she can’t do!

Second illustration of Harvard Law graduate, Michelle Obama, dreaming of superpowers

Of course it would be remiss of me to overlook her rather famous husband. The book discusses their history of working together to improve the lives of others and how he ended up in politics.

Third illustration is of Barack Obama courting Michelle with ice cream

She was nearly crushed again, when her adored father died of MS at the age of 55. He’d been ill for a long time, but it was still a blow. He was so proud of her, that she couldn’t help but carry on.

Fourth ilustration is of Michelle breaking through a brick wall, creating a heart

These are the words on the illustration of the wall.
“You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage. Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages.”

After she and Barack were married, she found the perfect job, working for the Chicago Mayor, running Public Allies, which found, mentored, and inspired promising young kids, and gave them “apprenticeships”. Barack, meanwhile, was working with Project Vote, encouraging people to register and vote. They were both working for public community service and loving it.

They went on to have two daughters, spend eight years in the White House as President and First Lady, and they aren’t finished yet. She is determined to continue helping kids be the best and healthiest that they can be and to keep her own self fit.

“I have never felt more confident in myself, more clear on who I am as a woman. But I am constantly thinking about my own health and making sure that I’m eating and getting exercise and watching the aches and pains.

I want to be this really fly 80-90 year old.”

There’s not a doubt in my mind that she will be!

Thanks to NetGalley and Frances Lincoln’s Children’s books for the copy for review.

p.s. I should mention all the teaching resources at the end!
My Thoughts
The Work It Girl series is a wonderful series of biographies featuring inspiring and empowering women. They are a great way to introduce young audiences to all of these women and learn from their lives.

This book takes us on a journey through Michelle Obama’s life from the day she turned eight up until the current day (a post White House life where she wrote Becoming). We get a lovely and inspiring peek into her life – family, friendships, love, school, career, and more. I enjoyed reading about her Princeton and Harvard times, and about how she met Barack Obama, as well as their life from a law firm to the White House and beyond.

Caroline Moss’ writing makes it appealing and accessible for a broad range of readers, while Sinem Erkas’ 3D-paper illustrations for this book pop with color across the pages. The book also has quotes from Michelle Obama and a few photographs.

I also enjoyed the 10 Lessons, a quiz based on the book, and further reading resources included at the end of the book. All of these make this book (and this series of books) a valuable learning resource.

In Summary
This book is informative, and more importantly, inspiring! So – go get it, girls and boys!

“Don’t ever underestimate the importance you can have because history has shown us that courage can be contagious and hope can take on a life of its own.” – Michelle Obama (Work It Girl: Be a Leader Like Michelle Obama)

Check my blog - LadyInReadWrites - for more reviews

Disclaimer: Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for the digital ARC of the book; these are my honest opinions after reading the book.
This was quite an enjoyable and informative read on the former First Lady. I can't say I didn't know a lot about Michelle Obama previous to reading this book, but it was still a great read! I absolutely loved the art of illustrations as well.
I really enjoyed this biography of Michelle Obama, written for readers around 8 to 12. What an inspiring life to read about! The book is put together well, with great 3D papercut  artwork, quotes from Michelle throughout, and good life lessons about believing in yourself even if others don't, and working hard to achieve your dreams. It was interesting learning all the different roles Michelle had been in before she became the First Lady, and how her experiences affected her life and work in the White House. The ten key life lessons at the end was a nice touch, as were the essay-type questions that encouraged the reader to write out what they would do in situations similar to some Michelle had been in. Also included was a bibliography for further reading. This series, "Work It, Girl," features modern women working in different fields, and I wish it had been around when I was a kid!

#WorkItGirlMichelleObama #NetGalley
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for granting me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This would make an excellent classroom or school library resource, giving pupils the opportunity to become more aware of Michelle Obama. Easily accessible and attractively presented, this is definitely one to read!
Work It Girl: Michelle Obama is a great introduction to the former First Lady for young readers. I would suggest this book was aimed at older primary students and Michelle Obama is a great role model, particularly for girls around this age (9-11). Separated into short chapters, this book taught me lots about her early life and humble beginnings. This book would be great to remind young people that they can be and do anything if they put their minds to it.

I really liked the format of the book. With lots of facts, but told as an easy to read story and clear pictures in a style that children could try to replicate with layers of felt or material. With top tips and questions to think about, this book could keep young readers engaged for long after they have closed the final page.

I received an eARC of this book from the publishers via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review
The book is beautiful and simplified version of Michelle Obama's Becoming, for the young readers among us. The author and illustrator did a great job of taking important information related to Michelle Obama's life and putting it here in very subtle yet understandable way. The author also did a great job of letting the readers have a thought and ponder upon the things they have read in between the reading. The illustrations were really colourful and vibrant to match with the children's idea. Really cute book! Adored it! It would make a perfect gift for a child :)
I loved illustrations in this book.The story of Michelle is already very inspiring and it should be told and what better way than this amazing book .
This children’s book is about Michelle Obama’s life. The first half of the book covers her childhood and young adult life. She was very focused on school and continued to follow her dream of going to Princeton, even when her school councilors said she wouldn’t get in. In the second half of the book, Michelle meets Barack Obama and they raise their family.

I didn’t know anything about Michelle Obama’s childhood, so it was interesting to learn about her. She is even more inspiring after hearing that she was discouraged from following her dreams, but succeeded anyway. This book has made me want to read her memoir, Becoming.

The books in this series are beautifully illustrated. The graphics look like cut out pieces of paper, layered to make pictures. That technique makes the pages look textured. The illustrations are brightly covered, which is uplifting.

I really enjoyed this book!

Thank you Frances Lincoln Children’s Books for providing a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This is a perfect children's version of Michelle's adult biography Becoming. This book includes many of the struggles and achievements Michelle had growing up but told in an age appropriate way. The including of lots of inspirational quotes on beautifully illustrated pages was another wonderful touch within this book. This is perfect for anyone who wants to learn a bit more about the inspirational Michelle Obama. I love this!
Work It, Girl: Michelle Obama by Caroline Moss was a "Bright and wonderful illustrated book". It may be a small book about Michelle Obama who is a very strong woman and a role model for so many people. But full of so many things about her.
This book tells the story of Michelle Obama life, where she was born etc...........I loved it it was a Happy book full of Michelle's big smile.

I'd highly recommend for young middle grade and teen readers.

Big Thank you Netgalley and Quarto Publishing Group for providing me with an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review
I thought this was a cute little story of Michelle Obama’s life. I thought it was fun and easy to understand for younger readers. The art was colorful and interesting. I do feel like some of the writing was talking down to the reader instead of talking to the reader on their own level. I did like the little extras in the back and the further reading suggestions. Overall, really cute!

*eARC provided in exchange for an honest review*
I love this book. Heartfelt, empowering, and courageous. This title encourages girls of all ages to be the best she can be.
"You should never view your challenges as a disadvantage.
Instead, it’s important for you to understand that your experience facing
and overcoming adversity is actually one of your biggest advantages."

Michelle is such an inspirational woman. I absolutely look up to her.

Definetely gonna purchase this book for myself (and my future children).

The art was stunning, beautiful and colorful and the whole writing was on point.
Unfortunately this book was archived on the same day I was approved to review it. Feedback in lieu of a review.
Very well written and illustrated. After reading becoming it is almost like a smaller version of it - condensed with amazing and inspiring illustrations. Highly recommend for Michelle fans. Or people that want to be inspired. I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
Thank you to the author and Netgally for the free review copy.

This book was definitely different than I thought it would be. I was expecting a fast easy read. What I got was loads of information and full pages with pictures (adorable pictures) and loads of text.

I can't see it being a all in one night bedtime story but I can see it inspiring children. Even myself as a adult was inspired!
*received for free from netgalley for honest review* I read Michelle's book Becoming (Michelle Obama) and this is a really good "kids" version of it! I really like this series so far!
Thank you netgalley for providing this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Inspiring short book for middle school children, packed with pictures and inspiring quotes and anecdotes from Michelle Obama. Includes snippets of her life and the people who inspired her to be a strong leader. Really enjoyed it!
The “Work It, Girl” books are amazing resources for kids. They are detailed and don’t talk down to the reader like many children’s books do.

The Michelle Obama editionn of the series did not disappoint. The narrative really puts the reader in Michelle’s shoes. The questions at the end were very thought provoking.

And, thank you, Caroline! For not focusing on Michelle’s value in relation to Barack. Thank you for letting young readers know that you can be a fully formed person BEFORE you find your partner.