NO SIGNAL

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

No Signal by Jem Tugwell is the second book in the iMe series, I admit I haven't read the first one but you can definitely understand the storyline without having done so. With iMe peoples every need are met, their every move and action measured and stacked against a model citizen. Tugwell builds a future that feels more like looking at a new article from a few years from now. Very surreal and the characters are brilliantly written.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book
Overall I was disappointed with this book. The story is based on futuristic technology that is embedded into the characters. Although about big issues such as privacy and the government having access to all the details I found the details a bit too far fetched and distracting from the storyline. I haven’t read the first book in the series and perhaps this affected my enjoyment of the book as this was second in the series.
As an avid user of an Apple Watch, I can very easily empathize with the people of Jem Tugwell's No Signal - their every need met through their iMe, their every move and action measured and stacked against a model citizen.  Tugwell builds a future that feels more like looking around the next curve, rather than straining to catch a glimpse through fog.  This nearness ramps up the realism, creating a setting for a story that feels like it could be a news article from a few years from now.  His characters feel real, with their struggles sometimes outweighing their better natures, and the actions they take make sense (to them).  Easily read as a stand alone novel (I haven't read the first in the series, Proximity), Tugwell does a nice job crafting a pleasant story- while he moves to tackle issues currently facing society, those issues (privacy vs control, government overreach, technology in every-day life, religious overbearance) serve more as the backdrop for our actors, rather than the focus of the story.  As part of a series, No Signal sets up a sequel nicely, with many loose ends ready to be knotted and woven together.  I'll definitely keep my eyes out for the next one.