The Rogue

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 18 Mar 2020

I cannot put into words exactly how this book went. I love Bible prophecy and to read this fascinating story on how one major prophecy can play out left me excited! I immediately purchased and read book 2 in this series and now I'm on pins and needles waiting for the next installment.  The characters are amazing and very realistic. I get absolutely wrapped up in their stories like they are my own. I cannot wait to read more from this author. If you're looking for a christian thriller then read this book.
This was a interesting book and it’s one that you can read in one afternoon. If you like science fiction then you will like this book

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and BooksGoSocial for my honest review.
I was bored beyond belief.   This was more of a "prepper" book for a Millennial.  Who thinks they honestly know how to wipe a drive.  Not having a clue about key stroker programs.  If the government was watching her this closely... She would have been caught immediately.  It just went downhill from there.  I finally hit a point that it was getting obvious that it was going to be a series I would not be interested in reading.  I read over half the book and finally just skipped to the end to see if I'd already guessed where the book was going... and I had.  The younger readers may enjoy and believe the character.  But, adults.  MAJOR FAIL.
I really enjoyed this novel centered around biblical prophecy and an approaching asteroid. The U.S. government silences anyone reporting on the approaching and very dangerous object under the guise of preventing panic while preparations are made. The stakes are high as one evangelical feels she must make the asteroid's approach public. She may be incarcerated in a FEMA retention camp for her efforts. The narrative follows two other people subsequently involved in her dilemma.

There are some interesting explorations of controversial astronomical ideas, such as false  assumptions regarding the red shift and the expansion rate of the universe. There are also interesting ideas about biblical prophecy and the possible role of an asteroid. And there is plenty of secretive action and subsequent suspense.

There is much to think about in this novel. Just what responsibilities do Christians have making sure the truth is known? When is disobedience to the government right?

The novel is informative too. I really liked Brainard's attention to detail, including topics of astronomy and prophecy and even fly fishing and mountain camping. His writing style is very good. Even though there were long passages of prose in between the action or dialogue scenes, they were very interesting.

This is a good novel for readers who enjoy possible narratives of the coming end days. The novel leaves us hanging so I will be looking for the sequel.

I received a complimentary egalley of this book through NetGalley. My comments are an independent and honest review.
With lots of reviews from readers smarter than I, I'll just say that this is pretty good. If you like espionage and some technical aspects, and astronomy, this is probably for you. A little cliched at times.

Thanks very much for the ARC for review!!
An asteroid is on a collision course with earth and the government is trying to cover it up.

This plot line has been done many times before, but it’s still an interesting idea. Brainard’s take is just fresh enough that my interest was held throughout.

Unfortunately, cliched characterization, information dumping, and writing style fought the interesting idea my whole way through. My rating declined as I went. It’s too bad because I want to see how things turn out...I just don’t think I’ll feel it was worth my time in the end.

I received a copy of Rogue from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
This was an enjoyable and suspenseful read that will leave you wanting more. The plot is well developed. The book is well researched; but often goes too far sharing the technical data about astronomy and other things. The excess data sometimes bogs down the story. I do realize this is the first book in the series and a lot of this background information is necessary to the overall plot. The book is classified Christian science fiction and does a good job of subtly working in characters who pray and discussions of prophecy. There are characters of different faiths and some who proclaim as being atheist.
The really frightening aspect of the book is the seeds of doubt it sows that this situation could be a reality. It seems possible that a massive comet could be headed for earth and possible that the world governments would  silence and cover up the knowledge of it to avoid panic. It is horrifying to think that people could be put away in camps to keep them silent with all their possessions confiscated and no further contact with the outside world. These ideas are what make this an intriguing read and I look forward to the next book in this series.
The Rogue by Lee W Brainard, a fun engaging book that helps to highlight the terror behind comets and how helpless we all are.
Once you start reading this book, you will be unable to put it down.  I thought Brainard's writing style was excellent.  He knows how to keep the reader engaged.  The book was very believable.  I am definitely looking forward to the sequel.