Cover Image: The Girl You Gave Away

The Girl You Gave Away

This was a super intense book at times but unfortunately it just didn't do much for me. I think the issue for me was I couldn't find a connection with any of the characters. It's hard to read through long bouts of subplot when you don't really care about any of the characters.

I did appreciate the new ending Ryder wrote and that alone makes this one worth a read. Just don't go into it expecting the next best mystery.

Thanks so much to NetGalley and the publisher for my ARC. All opinions are my own.
I’m such a big fan of Jess Ryder books. I like that they keep me guessing and twist the story round perfectly until it all comes together in a nice neat knot by the end.

The Girl You Gave Away was no different, a fantastic piece of writing that made me panic for the main character the whole way through the story.

The only problem I have was the ending. I read an ARC of this and received an email from the publisher saying the ending had been changed. I honestly am not sure which was the original and which was the new one... so what I’ll say is that the ending with an epilogue from Jade... while the ending I wanted... didn’t sit right with me. In fact, it felt forced and too tidy and neat. Just wasn’t keen.
I wouldn’t really classify this as a thriller.  It was a suspense, but it felt disjointed.  I hated the fact that literally every character in the story blamed a 14 year old girl for all the mistakes.  What a group of self righteous pigs.  I read it in one sitting, because I wanted to see how it ended.  I believe I read the new “revised” ending.  I was given an advanced e copy in exchange for an honest review by NetGalley and Bookouture.
I think we all know the feeling of hiding things were are ashamed of or fear the reactions of loved ones. You can keep secrets for a number of years, but not forever.

In this story we see that it would have been better to fess up and face the music straight away, because when you have to come clean later on the music only got louder and louder with time going by.

I do understand Erin and where she is coming from. She did not get a lot of understanding before, so she thinks she won't get any later on either.

On the other hand, I understand her family's point of view too.

I was disappointed when the book ended. I was not ready to say goodbye yet. The author created some intriguing characters and I would not mind a sequel to find out where she would take us next.

I was captured by the writing style and the heartbreaking story that kept me up till 2 am. 5 stars

I confess this Jess Ryder novel disappointed me. It’s about compulsive lying, duplicity and secrets - Erin is ridiculously gullible, and she and Jade have the compulsive lying gene. After a disgracefully disastrous sluttish youth, Erin finally finds respectability until there’s a blast from her past and a well-kept secret is exposed. The scenario when the secret is revealed sat badly with me. Wrongly or rightly, I believe Tom would have frozen into dumb silence, then hustled the children brusquely to their rooms and demanded an explanation from Erin. I didn’t think he would have a low mentality to hurl expletives at her in front of their children and crash out to the pub. That’s not who he was. The first Epilogue was fine but needed feedback on Jade. The second Epilogue would not have passed scrutiny during its journey to its destination as it exposed the real truth, which would have had severe repercussions for the writer and the recipient. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
So I didn’t really like this one found it a bit hard to get along with and ended up did not finishing it in the end sadly !!
My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for my copy of The Girl You Gave Away. The premise for the plot is a really good one and the author has a really good writing style; this is a dual narration but not at all confusing.

However, I just didn't like a single character in the book, not one, and having no empathy meant for a very tedious read.
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley. I wanted to like the book. Parts of the story were choppy and a little busy with subplots . The ending seemed rushed. The plot of the story at times was confusing with the different characters views and perhaps it might have been better including additional character narrations that might have made it more suspenseful and Interesting  book was drawn out
Thank you @netgalley and @bookouture for the gifted copy. This book was an easy read, however it gave me mixed feelings. I enjoyed the concept-hidden past, deceit, suspenseful characters. It is certainly very intriguing but there were a lot of gaps in each characters stories and backgrounds. It was a great suspense-filled read but there was never a “height” of the book for me and I was left with more questions than answers!
Thank you @Netgalley for my ARC.

Erin was a wild teenager and ended up having a baby at the age of 15 and forced to give her up for adoption. Years later, on her 40th birthday, her daughter (Jade) sends her a birthday card, setting off a series of events one would find in a Lifetime movie.

We learn the story in alternating viewpoints between Erin and Jade in both the present and Erin's past. It's a bit predictable at times with one twist I did not see coming.

The story moves along at a good pace but I found myself frustrated or annoyed with most of the characters.
Thank you @ NetGalley for my ARC.

It took me over a week to finish this book. Which is completely unheard of. However, it took that long because I did not like this novel. I was looking for a thriller and The Girl You Gave Away fell flat. So. Dang. Flat.

What made it hard to read was 1) I didn't like a single character in this novel 2) there were so many mistakes - either names being misused, details that didn't add up, that I can't believe the book made it to print/ebook with such obvious errors and 3) the ending was thrown out there, with little to no real finesse, causing it to be a bit abrupt.
It is impossible to suffer without making someone pay for it; every complaint already contains revenge.

Fourteen-year-old Erin found herself in a very peculiar situation. Typical teen looking for parents attention gets involved with a sketchy crowd. As a result, Erin develops a drinking habit, and the biggest surprise of all - falls pregnant. Underaged teen is unable to keep the child, and without her parents' moral and financial support is forced to place her daughter for adoption.

Twenty-six years later, Erin receives a birthday card, signed "the girl you gave away". From that moment forward - her life is flipped upside down and very quickly fills with lies, betrayals, blackmail, and revenge.

"The Girl You Gave Away" is full of twists that make the reader glued to the pages, absorbing narrators, and entertaining and mysterious characters. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an advanced and free copy of the novel, and Jess Ryder for another phenomenal thriller.
3.5 stars (rounded up to 4)
This was a story of Erin and her daughter, Jade, who have reunited 25 years after Jade was put up for adoption. There are many twists that kept the story interesting, and it’s hard to look at any one character and say, “This is a good guy. 100% innocent. There is the bad guy. So guilty.” Makes you reflect on what you would do in similar situations and putting yourself in the characters’ positions.
I thoroughly enjoyed the storyline but had a serious issue with the main character. Tell the truth. Why bother lying about it? Have you ever watched tv/movies?? Don’t you know you’re just going to regret it and they’ll find out anyway?? Would recommend to anyone looking for an easy mystery read.
This book had all the subplots of a thriller with attempted murder, kidnapping, revenge, false identity, secrets, lies, infidelity, teenage pregnancy, blackmail. I was quite taken aback at the roller coaster that these subplots converted the book into. I had fun with it.
This book started slow for me. The ending left me hanging—I like when everything is tied up and I felt like this wasn’t.  I liked the character development, the addition of the friends were a nice touch. I enjoyed this book!
Very well written. The storyline was so enticing that there is no surprise and the author sucks you in. I read this book in about two days. I can not wait to read another story by this author.
I really enjoyed this book, a good and gripping thriller. Although, for me ..:a little predictable in some places.

The story is told from 2 different people, Erin and Jade and in Erins past and the present. Which surprisingly works really and links the story.

Erin is fourteen when she becomes pregnant by older and troublesome Dean.  An embarrassment to her parents, and scared she gives birth to a daughter, Jade and has to  immediately her up for adoption.  Erin eventually moves on in life, gets married and has two other children. On the day of her big 40th birthday party, she receives a card from the daughter that she had given up many years before.

It appears that Jade, is back, but all is not what it seems and is too good to be true and then sinister things start to happen to Erin and her family is driven apart by Jade!

Being on strict bed rest due to illness, I needed something to distract me from the aches and pains. And Jess Ryder helped me forget all that. I enjoyed the absolute change in direction thus book would take in every chapter. I even wanted to tell the characters not to bother fighting with what Ms. Ryder had in store. Let it happen. And it did.

Erin became pregnant at 14 and had a daughter at 15 who was given up for adoption. Cut to 20 years hence, she had a loving husband and children. On her 40th birthday, a hand written noted arrived on her doorstep from the girl she gave away. About whom the new family especially the husband knew nothing about. The fun began.

I have read nearly all of this author’s books, and each one was fun. This too rocked me up with the different directions it pulled me into. I didn't like any of the characters, but felt a sadistic pleasure at the way they treated each other. OK some part of me was horrified too. The masks worn by the righteous were removed at the right time which shocked me completely. I too wanted to kick asses. Literally.

The book distracted me, was easy to understand, even with different characters, I never had a problem keeping them in track. The writing was choppy as it needed to be, the dark psyche of all the characters was shown. I don't think the author soared any. Let me think if there was a kid in the book.... Hmm nah nada... The only time anyone was innocent in this book was at birth...

Soem parts of its especially Erin with her best friends Holly and Asha felt like Desperate Housewives but more wicked. So I liked the series, I liked the book. Fun times.
Erin is celebrating  her fortieth birthday  and receives  a  red envelope with a birthday  card  with a chilling  reminder that should  would  rather forget. Lots of twists start to happen as you  read this book. It will blow your mind away. It will be a book you will never forget  with chilling  chapter's.  A fantastic  suspense  thriller to keep  you turning every page. A bit of a slow  start but still i found  it fantastic  once i got into it.
This is a forward and backwards narrative about a woman who gave up her baby when she was fifteen years old.  It's also about that daughter.  The plot was weak.