Cover Image: The Summer We Ran Away

The Summer We Ran Away

Turning her back on everything, from her marriage to her interfering parents, Julia escapes with her feisty, carefree neighbour Amber to the hot and sunny climate of France, where she soon finds herself reevaluating everything she thought she knew about herself.
Great story, easy to read, a little amusing in places. I liked the characters. This was my first book by this author.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
One Night, One Party....
One night, one party - one huge consequence. When the secrets are out, the chips are down - what’s to be done? Uplifting escapism, amusing and engaging in equal measure. Entertaining and enjoyable reading.
I really liked the way this story started and the dynamics of those friendships. It was a great story which was easy to read. I enjoyed following their adventure and in particular, the descriptions.
it tells the story of Julia who would like nothing more than to be accepted as one of the ‘in crowd’ of Cedar Road. So when her less than favourable WhatsApp messages fall into the wrong hands, Julia does the only thing she can think of to do. She runs away.

I loved this book, it was so good I finished it very quickly I was eager to find out how it would end and I wasn’t disappointed. I’ve read other books by this author and they almost always are very readable. I found myself wanting to keep reading when I should have been doing other things which by my standards means it a brilliant book. My thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for giving me the opportunity to read this book in return for an honest review.
Found the heroine rather pathetic in her attempt to be accepted, and thus unlikable, pandering to a passive-aggressive bully in the form of her neighbor, and lusting after the neighbor's husband who turned out to be an even more aggressive bully. That she tried to push her husband by goading him and making him feel bad for not giving in to the peer pressure she willingly bowed to just proved further that she was not someone whose story I wanted to read and care about, unfortunately
This book is quite simply the  perfect summer read!
I loved how unique the characters were in this story, each of them having their own flaws and obstacles to overcome. The author really did bring these characters to life wonderfully.
The friendship between Julia and Amber was an absolute joy to follow, they were different in so many ways, yet a true bond blossomed between them.

Beautifully written, perfect characterisation and a dreamy story line to go with it all... absolute perfection.
I listened to this on audiobook.

As a fan of Jenny’s books, I couldn’t wait to give her latest book a try and total bonus that I got to listen to it on audiobook which made it much more enjoyable as the narrator did a really good job, although sometimes one of the female characters voices that she did, sounded like a male at certain intervals, but it didn’t put me off.

Anyway, the story was highly enjoyable and entertaining, there were even a few laugh out loud moments, especially when Charlie had his moment on the doorstep waiting for Julie, I’ll not say anymore as wouldn’t want to ruin it for anyone.

I loved getting to know each and every one of the characters, discovering their journeys and seeing the paths they each took throughout the story, it was certainly exciting and plenty of drama all round.

So if you haven’t discovered Jenny books yet, then don’t delay any further as I can highly recommend her books as great, fun and delightful reads.
Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an ARC.

I loved the opening to this book and found it beautifully described. I liked the idea of this story but for me it just didn't quite deliver.

I did enjoy the character development throughout the story. It was really nice to see the relationship between Julia and Amber grow and turn into a beautiful friendship and to see how their personal lives changed throughout their adventure through France.
Another perfect summer read from Jenny Oliver. Superbly captures the pitfalls of focusing on social media to the detriment of living in the moment, of savouring life, adventure and friendshIp.
Loved it & couldn’t put it down!!
I absolutely loved this , pure Escapism!
It was a great read, laugh out loud funny at times . Real life was put on hold!
It was extremely well written, entertaining, a book I didn’t want to end!
Descriptions of locations were so realistic the reader thought they were there
I would recommend this book
Thank you to Netgalley, HQ, and Jenny Oliver for letting me read this book in exchange for an honest review
An amusing light read, just the thing for chilling out.  It has a bit of fun, a bit of romance, the dangers of modern social media and a bit of the days of Lovejoy and antiques.
This book was such a surprise. From a person who clearly hero worshipped her neighbour, Julia turned into a fascinating character. One moment of poison on social media and coincidental timing from Amber turned into the adventure that she’d been dreaming of which changed her life.

I loved this. The subject matter showed how social media can be used for good or bad and can change your life either way.

The adventure and mad dash across France was enjoyable and fast-paced, pushing everyone’s comfort zones out of the water.

The conclusion was even more delicious and not what I was expecting at all!

This has to be read and be appreciated!
An enjoyable bit of escapism. Shows how caught up in life people get from What’s App to trying to keep up with the neighbours. This book is warm and funny and takes you away from the harsh realities of life.
Wasn’t expecting this at all from this book - I envisaged something bland and predictable about a woman running away from the mean girls and finding life after Instagram. There is a nod to that, in fairness, but it’s amongst storylines focusing on Amber - her relationship with her ex, her son, her job that we learn more about Julia and Charlie. A really great read that I flew through.
I really enjoyed this book. It shows that what is on social media isn’t always the truth and you shouldn’t follow the crowd! Be yourself and you’ll be happier for it. I’d definitely recommend this for a lovely lighthearted read
I loved this book. It really makes you realise that you shouldn’t follow all the popular people and that sometimes you need to re-evaluate what you have in life. Highly recommend.
This book highlights the flaws of people and the dangers of technology. I loved the start of this story, reading it was horrifying totally but enjoyable at the same time.  I thought it was going to be very similar to Queen Bee by Jane Fallon, but then it took a totally different turn as Amber and Julia went off to France for the weekend. It was quite interesting following Lovejoy and Amber as they made their purchases.

Whilst it was a light read, I actually found it pretty sad in places - the hurt that Julia caused Charlie, the falseness of Lexi and her crew and Amber's deceipt to her son.
I struggled to get going with this book i think there was to many unlikable characters for me and a slightly farfetvhed story.