Cover Image: Her Broken Wings (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 8)

Her Broken Wings (Detectives Kane and Alton Book 8)

Her broken wings by D.K. Hood.
Jenna and Kane are back. Rowley is called to a shooting.  Lucas Robinson is killed and a black feather is left. Who is the killer? As the killer escalates leaving bodies can Jenna catch the killer or will he/she outsmart her?
Another brilliant read by this author.  This is book 8 in the detective Kane and Alton series. I love each one. What a twist.  I didn't expect that.  Wow. I really hope there is more to come.  5*. Highly recommended.
Wow! Another cracker read in a . Although I am concerned with the number of murders in a small country town!!
I did not see this one coming. I am always very happy to be on the adventure with this author. Never disappoints.
Detective Jenna Alton is called to a secluded house where a man has been shot dead and his wife is in shock.
While looking into this murder they find out he has been having an affair did the wife arrange to have him killed ?
The another killing happens is this the same killer or is there two killers on the loose.
Absolutely love this series
Thanks NetGalley
This is the eight book in the series featuring Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy David Kane who police the quiet community of Blackwater Falls, who have more than their fair share of killings.  The book opens with a woman, Carol, witnessing an intruder shoot her husband Lucas, in cold blood.  Jenna and Dave are called in to investigate and when they discover that Lucas was having an affair they don’t believe Carol’s story and think she may have been involved.  A black feather was found near the body and it is obviously the work of a serial killer as more bodies start to turn up with the same black feather and one of them is Lucas’s mistress.  Jenna is convinced that the murderer is living in the community and finds that similar murders have been committed in Baltimore and they have nicknamed him the Chamelon Killer.  Jenna and her team have a race against time to solve the case before even more bodies are discovered.  This book is addictive and gripping with twists and turns and a completely unexpected ending.  This series just gets better and better and I can’t wait for book number nine.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for giving me the opportunity to read and review this book.
Well that escalated quickly!!!! I have been a huge fan of D.K.Hood’s ‘Kane and Alton’ since the very beginning, however I dont think my heart has raced as much as it did with ‘Her Broken Wings’. Bloody heck! If those wings weren’t broken, I reckon they would have taken off by now!

Black Rock Falls has had more than enough murders to last a lifetime, but they kept on coming in this book! I have no idea what the population of the town is – surely they havent got more random people to kill off! Honestly, the murders in this book were like a box of chocolates, they just kept happening until one minute they stopped and you are left wondering what’s going to happen next.

Kane and Alton have their work cut out, however this time round they have assistance from the FBI to help lighten their load. Or will it be a case of ‘too many cooks spoiling the broth’? I adore the rapport that Kane and Alton have, especially the way that they always have each others backs in whatever situation they find themselves in. On the other hand though, I cant help but think to myself ‘will they just get together already!!!’.

So, the reason why my heart was racing a lot more with this book was because of the storyline was dark. Jet black dark. It was sinister. Unforgiving. Dangerous. Eventful. Race car suspenseful.

Basically, I loved it. D.K.Hood is absolutely brilliant at creating the tension that made my heart want to beat out of my chest. I was completely blindsided by the turn of events and the way that the storyline unfolded. I have no idea where the author gets her ideas from, yet I know that she delivers every single book in this series in an expert manner.

‘Her Broken Wings’ kept me hooked and left me gasping in shock – an all round, suspenseful and bloody brilliant addition to a series that just keeps on getting better and better!
Absolutely cracker of a book. Edge of the seat stuff all the way through. This series just gets better and better. DK Hood certainly knows how to bring her characters and the scenes alive. You feel as if you are there in the pages. An absolute page turner. Totally gripping and altogether fantastic.
Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture..
This series is incredible. There isn’t a bad book amongst them. One of my all time favourite crime series. It features a great team with amazing chemistry and I really enjoy getting to know all of the characters. It does seem like their little town is cursed though. I can always rely on these books to be fast paced, gruesome and keep me guessing.

My only issue with this book is I found that Jenna was treated a bit like a child in some places. It’s like even she thinks that she’s not as good as Kane and Wolfe which is kind of sad because she’s a badass in her own right. I’m also not a huge fan of the mental health cliche that was used but I did still love the book and I highly recommend this series to anyone who loves gritty crime thrillers.

I was sent a copy of the ebook via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
8th in the series and another belter. Kane & Alton in serial murderer central. Gripping main plot with lots of twists and turns and lots of false leads. Really enjoyed this and the twist at the ending is so clever
Great sub plot development too and the introduction of two new characters which I just know will have lots to give. Excellent stuff
This is my first book by this author and it won't be my last. I enjoyed getting to know gritty Sheriff Jenna Alton and her deputy Dave Kane. They make a great team as they get to grips with some gruesome murders in the small town of Black Rock Falls, Montana.
This is a fast paced story with plenty of murders and plenty of action. I especially enjoyed the final scene with Jenna and her new FBI buddy Jo when they come up against the killer.
The Halloween setting also worked well with the killer creating some grisly scenes to keep the cops guessing.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an opportunity to read this book.
Kane and Alton's latest case sees them teaming up with FBI agents to investigate a mass murderer with a multiple personality disorder. The case has them confused: some murders are quick like professional hits, others sadistic and designed to prolong the torment before death occurs. What is the significance of the crow feather left at the scene...?
The action is fast paced and there is plenty of anticipation and tension as the main characters are in danger. The body count is high: the forensic detail is unpleasant but not gratuitous. It is presented factually rather than to shock and fits well with the clinical nature of the medical examiner Wolfe.
As with D.K. Hood's other books, we see the viewpoint of the murderer in Her Broken Wings in order to gain an insight into his actions. I enjoyed the psychological detail about the murderer's split personality but felt that it could have been expanded a little and the history of the character explored to provide further depth to his motivation, however this did not spoil my enjoyment of the book.
Alton's relationship with Kane doesn't seem to have progressed much but they are obviously secure and comfortable with each other. Their personal and professional relationships merge seamlessly.
Once again, another excellent thriller from the wonderful D.K. Hood.
I really enjoyed this book!  A great story line that kept me hooked and excellent main characters.  I would highly recommend this book.
Even though I came in new to this series with this book, the author had enough references to past books that kept the plot moving without making me feel lost. I liked how the author wove some folklore into the story. I thought that the characters were realistic, and the law enforcement techniques were accurate. I look forward to reading more of this series. For a full review, please visit my blog at Fireflies and Free Kicks. Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for a digital ARC of the book.
I have read and enjoyed every book in this series and I was happy to read this one as well.

Dave and Jenna are tasked with keeping Black Rock Falls safe, and that isn't easy with the number of murders that seem to occur there! This book is full of quite gruesome murders and I like the way the team solves them. I wish Wolfe had a bigger part to play, and his daughters too, but that is ok.

A good, solid book, yet again.

4.5 stars from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the read. All opinions are entirely my own.
Book eight opens up with a murder, a 911 call by a wife saying her husband has been killed. What looks like a murder turns into more murders and actually a serial killer. Jenna and Kane are working the case when they are sent help from the FBI agents Jo and Ty. Hopefully, they will show in the next book they were good characters and added to the story.
Getting into the story you find the person they are looking for has been around for 20 years and has changed his M O so it has been difficult for people to find him now that he is in their neck of the woods they have a chance to catch him hopefully before more bodies show up. Some twists will keep you going with the story and the characters will also are from the other books and because of that, the story flows though it is a mystery, suspense. A very good book once again.
The sound that wakes her from sleep is unmistakable—someone is in their house. She listens as heavy footsteps start up the stairs, and as the bedroom door is flung open, she doesn’t even have time to scream…
Following a frantic emergency call in the middle of the night, Detective Jenna Alton arrives at a secluded family home to find the body of Lucas Robinson lying in a pool of his own blood in his bed. His wife Carol, shivering in shock, has just watched an intruder shoot her husband in cold blood.
As Jenna investigates the murder, she soon discovers that Lucas was having an affair. And when his mistress is also found strangled to death in the center of the small town, Jenna is convinced that the murderer is living amongst them.
When the killer escalates with a mass murder at a remote ranch on the outskirts of Black Rock Falls, Jenna knows for sure that she’s dealing with a murderer more twisted than any other she’s faced before.
As the town begins to fill with revelers for the annual Halloween festival, Jenna has to work fast to stop any more lives being taken. But as the killer always seems to be one step ahead of the investigation, has she finally met a murderer who can outsmart her?

This is a wonderful addition to this thrilling series!
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with that adds so much to the story.
Such a thrilling read that I couldn't put it down.
Can't wait to read more of these.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
'Her Broken Wings' is the eighth book in the bestselling series featuring Detectives Alton and Kane.  I have read, reviewed and absolutely every book in the series to date.  I read the synopsis for 'Her Broken Wings' and it certainly sounded like another cracking read.  I must by psychic because that's exactly what it is- an absolutely cracking read, which I thoroughly enjoyed but more about that in a bit.
It didn't take me long at all to get into this story.  In fact as soon as I glimpsed the title and the cover that was it I had to get a copy of the book, which sounds really superficial I know.  For me, 'Her Broken Wings' was the definition of an unputdownable page turner of a read.  I picked my Kindle up only intending to read a couple of chapters to fill in the odd half an hour, but I immersed myself in the story so fully that I was still sat there reading well over two hours later.  I just couldn't bear to put the book to one side for any length of time for fear of missing out on some vital clue or on some crucial information pertinent to the investigation.  I tried to pace myself as to how quickly I read the book but my attempt at pacing was soon thrown out of the window because I was enjoying the book too much to put it down.  I soon reached the end of the book which I was disappointed about because it meant that I had to say a goodbye to Detectives Alton and Kane.
'Her Broken Wings' is superbly written but then I think that to be true of all of the books in the Alton & Kane series.  The author has one of those writing styles that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with.  She writes so realistically that you begin to feel as though you are part of the story yourself and an extra member of the investigative team.  I even found that I began to interact with the book in the sense that I 'talked' to the characters as if they could hear me.  Yes I know that sounds silly and that this is a work of fiction but I find that if I enjoy a book to the extent that I enjoyed this book then I tend to 'live' the story as if it were real.  I was gripped by this story and on the edge of my seat throughout the story.
For me, 'Her Broken Wings' was another cracking addition to the series featuring Detectives Alton and Kane.  This series just keeps getting better and better.  I definitely recommend this author and this series to other readers.  I will definitely be reading more of D. K. Hood's work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
“he owed it to the people of this fine county, the very best in murder and mayhem.”

Yes I’m back in Black Rock Falls for another brutal case for Jenna Alton, Dave Kane and the team. And as the quote above suggests, it’s a case packed with murder and mayhem but as this is my eighth trip to Montana, I expect nothing less from D. K. Hood!

The randomness of the killings really pushes the team to their investigative limits. There is no logic or pattern to the choices the not-so-friendly killer is making. But as the reader of this dark work of crime fiction, I get an rather entertaining insight to the killer’s logic…

she’d become almost a cult figure among men like him.

I love the sporadic chapters featuring the killer. Once again, Black Rock Falls is at the mercy of a serious bloodthirsty psychopath … and this one is worse than the last one! This is one manic person on the edge!

And then oh the descriptions! …blood had matted her blonde hair into red dreadlocks.…” the imagery! Hood totally immersed me into life in Black Rock Falls, I always feel I’m there with the team and Her Broken Wings is no different. It’s like I’m on holiday but it’s not really a holiday with the horrific crimes set out before me!

There are a few different characters to mention… one character who made more of an appearance was Duke, Kane’s canine sidekick. Despite the harsh weather, he played his part on more than one occasion. he seriously protective of our Jenna and I love him for it! And then there is the new additions. I’m looking forward to getting to know Jo and Ty better… hope they are a firm fixture in the series. They are an interesting pairing to add to the already diverse team but they both bring plenty to the Black Rock Falls table.

Yet again Hood has written a brilliantly dark and twisted crime thriller. The mayhem that plays out on the page is addictive to say the least. This Black Rock Falls addict is well and truly satisfied by the hit she’s received…. big question is…. when do I get my next one?!?
From the beginning this books engages the reader, a suspected hit on Lucas Robinson while asleep next to his wife, next two men gunned down after their truck crashes, only evidence linking the crimes together, a crow feather found at each crime scene.. Jenna and Kane realizing they have serial killer in their midst call in FBI profiler Jo Blake to assist. Pooling their resources together, it now becomes a race against time to catch the killer before he strikes again.
This is an edge of your seat gripping suspenseful novel that keeps the reader guessing, the next chapter in the Anton and Kane series is a must read for D.K Hood fans. FYI, I thoroughly enjoyed it,couldn't put it down, only at the end did I understand why the title was chosen.

Thank you NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to review this book.
This is the eighth book in the Detective Alton series by D.K. Hood. They are written so that they can be read as a standalone book but I would strongly recommend reading them all as the characters grow and develop as the books go on and, if you didn’t read them, you would be missing out on some great reads.

I love the two main characters, Detectives Alton and Kane who make a great team, together they manage to find themselves desperately hunting a crazy killer who is once again terrorising Black Rock Falls.

The setting that these books take place in is very much a character of its own and I can picture the main settings clearly in my mind. I love reading these books because I know that I will enjoy it, I know that the author will have found some more warped ways of killing people and Her Broken Wings does not disappoint.

These books are fun to read, I love catching up with the characters as they grow and it was nice that Her Broken Wings featured two new characters who teamed up with Alton and Kane to hunt the killer.

I’m not going to give the story away, but if you have read any of the previous books in this series then I’m sure that you will be reading this one, and if you haven’t then you will enjoy the rollercoaster ride. Hold on tight!
It seems that Black Rock Falls, Montana, must be a sociopathic serial killer magnet and, this time at Halloween, another has found his way to the small town by the mountains. The bodies are coming fast and furious and Sheriff Jenna Alton and Deputy Dave Kane enlist the help of FBI operatives in a nearby town to help them nab this one known as the Chamelon Killer. Lots of grisly murders and a host of suspects keep the detectives busy. This 8th book in the series has lots of action and many different characters to keep readers fully engaged and rapidly turning the pages. Even though the outcome is predictable, it was an entertaining police procedural and crime thriller.

I've read all the previous books in the series and will continue to do so. Kane and Alton have a work partnership as well as an obvious personal connection. Their relationship is a co-dependency and they certainly have plenty to do in "Serial Killer Central" as the crime rate in Black Rock Falls is off the charts!

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read and review.