Cover Image: Safe

Safe

This was a fun read. Well written. Held my interest. Just an enjoyable read overall.

I would recommend this book to my friends and family for sure!
Loved this book . It was exciting and very fast paced. The plot had me hooked from the off. I couldn’t put it down. Could feel my heart racing at time’s.
Safe by S.K. Barnett is a tense and exciting psychological thriller that drew me in from the very first page and didn’t let go until the final, exhilarating page had been turned. I knew very little about this book going in and I’m so glad I didn’t, as this is a story you need to experience for yourself. It’s dark, twisted and not always an easy read, but is one of those tales that I know will stay with me for a long time to come.

Twelve years ago, six year old Jenny Kristal was snatched in broad daylight as she walked to a friend’s house, only a short distance from where she lived. But now, after escaping from her kidnappers, Jenny is back. But as she settles back into a life she barely remembers, questions begin to mount. Where has Jenny been all these years? How did she find her way back home?  Why has she suddenly resurfaced now? And the most important question of all…

Is she safe?

This is not an easy review to write, as it’s difficult to say too much without giving something away. But suffice to say this is a book that took me by surprise more than once as the story unfolded and the truth of what had happened to Jenny finally began to be revealed. The tension is palpable as the suspense ratchets up to breaking point, the cleverly woven plot making my pulse race and keeping me on my toes throughout.

There is no doubt that S.K. Barnett knows how to write a superb psychological thriller. I was blown away by the strength of his writing, and found the story so compelling that once started I could not put this tense and suspense filled thriller down.

A must read!
Gosh this story kept me gripped from the beginning to end! With so many dark twists, completely unpredictable turns and a massive dollop of deception. So many disturbing yet incredible moments. I think if you love the genre, you need to read this!
This was flipping brilliant, I could not put it down. I loved the twist at the end and really didn't see that coming. Great suspense all the way though, good strong characters and you would never guess where it was going at the beginning.
Aged 6 Jenny disappears without a trace walking from her home to her friends house a few doors down. 12 years later Jenny reappears and returns home. Her parents are ecstatic, her brother Ben is suspicious.

As I read this book I thought I know exactly where this is heading. I couldn’t have been more wrong! This psychological thriller  is full of suspense. The ending was unexpected.
Jenny is 6 years old when she goes missing on what should have been a very short walk from her house to her best friends a few doors down. Her parents are frantic, her brother traumatised and the neighbours all grateful it didn’t happen to one of their children.

12 years later and Jenny stumbles into her old neighbourhood ... it’s a miracle, a dream come true for her parents Laurie and Jake. Her brother Ben maybe not so much but then he has never been the same since Jenny’s disappearance.

Once I got a third or so into the book it really picked up the pace and I didn’t want to put it down. I was a bit uncomfortable about some of the ‘themes’ running through the book but it all added to the story.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an advanced read copy of this book in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.
With plenty of twists and turns throughout, this book is one to read if you want to be kept on your toes.

Following the disappearance of 6 year old Jenny she reappears 12 years later. Her family are over the moon aside from her brother, Ben. As things start to unravel, we learn that things are not as they seem and as the book progresses, you see cracks appearing and secrets start to emerge.

The themes are dark and disturbing but have been woven in to the story well and respectfully.
The ending is explosive but quick; certainly not what I was expecting and left me shocked.

There were times I found myself a little confused as to which character perspective I was reading and what the time frame was, however this did not distract too much from the overall read.

Thank you to Netgalley and Random House UK for the ARC. One to read if you like plots with twists and turns.
WHAT. THE. FREAK!! The book should come with its own personal warning - Prepare to get shot and brains splattered everywhere. I tell ya... It was that good. Author S. K. Barnett with the sleight of his hand was quite a magician. He twisted the story in such a way that a GASP was all I was left with.

Jenny, a lost child came back home after 12 years. The parents were ecstatic, but questions soon arose. Where had she been? Expect the unexpected.

A ride the book was, the debut by the author, it was beyond all the realms that I had read so far. Just when I thought I knew where the book was heading, the author would turn it in different direction.

The prose at first didn't seem friendly, but there was a haunting quality to it that caught me in its snare. A need to know soon built up. The curiosity and suspense that evaded my being left me shell-shocked with the reveals. A master hand was this author who knew how to pull me into the book with his mini reveals.

A true psychological thriller this was. The final twists...yes, there were multiple...left me completely sideswiped. I thought I had read it all, but the author proved me quite wrong.

A MUST READ!!
I really enjoyed this book it has tension, red herrings and a storyline that’s like peeling an onion with new layers revealed throughout.  I always try to guess the ending of books as I read them but this one had me going in many different directions, which just added to my enjoyment and appreciation of the writer’s craft.  Can’t wait to read another one from this anonymous author!
Whoa!  What did I just read?  How on earth am I going to review this without giving anything away?

This is one of the books that had me gasping out loud and saying “no way” loudly several times throughout.  There are twists, red herrings galore, unreliable narrators, a shocking storyline, a truly unique and clever plot and some very, very, very dark and disturbing topics.

This is NOT easy reading – there are topics which are definitely “triggers” for many readers including child abduction, grooming and child abuse and it takes a LOT to upset me and this did upset me.  The dark and disturbing scenes are NOT graphic, but that’s what probably upset me more because the readers imagination is left to fill in the blanks and believe me when I say it’s not a pleasant experience.

Safe is the story about a sweet, adorable 6 year old girl, Jenny who goes missing one afternoon on the way to play at a neighbour’s house.  The family are distraught and in pieces but miraculously twelve years later Jenny returns, having escaped her captors.  Her parents Jake and Laurie are over joyed at her “safe” return, however her older brother Ben is suspicious immediately.

I can’t say much without giving anything away now – except I absolutely raced through this book, I thought the storyline was clever, original and very, very twisty and one I highly recommend to fans of dark, psychological thrillers.
My thanks to Random House U.K. Cornerstone-Century for an eARC via NetGalley of  ‘Safe’ by S K Barnett in exchange for an honest review. It was published in various formats on 11 June.

In 2007 six-year old Jennifer Kristal disappeared from her neighbourhood. She was only going two doors down the street to her best friend’s house but never arrived. Missing posters were put up everywhere. There were search parties, appeals, and hotlines. The case went cold. The family hired a PI. Yet there was no trace.

Twelve years later Jennifer comes home or rather walks into the local police station and announces her identity. So what happened to her?

Now as this is a very twisty psychological thriller I will say no more about its plot. I read it ‘cold’ and I feel that it is the best way to approach this kind of novel for maximum enjoyment.

Jennifer narrates most of the novel with occasional chapters presenting the viewpoints of family members Laurie and Jake Kristal, and their son, Ben.

I read a fair few domestic noirs/psychological thrillers and this one impressed and surprised me. It was dark and twisty and proved extremely engaging with plenty of genuine OMG! moments.

Recommended.
Safe’ is the latest book by S.K Barnett.

Your child is missing. She was only six years old when she disappeared. Posters went up, the police investigated. But no one could find her. Now, twelve years later, she’s home. And knocking at your door. You’re so happy to see her. But soon you start to wonder why she can’t answer your questions. Where has she been? How did she find her way home? And who is she?

This is a genuine suspenseful story that leaves the reader wondering who’s telling the truth.

When a young woman turns up to a house claiming that she’s the same child that disappeared many years ago, the family are elated that she’s returned, but the older brother can’t seem to join in with the joy of the happy reunion.

The story is mostly seen through the narrative of Jenny and she’s an interesting character, who’s been through quite the ordeal whilst she was taken away. Her story makes for graphic and heartbreaking reading and it really did strike a chord with me, that a child would be treated in that way.

As the story progresses and Jenny begins to settle into the Kristal family, she can’t help feeling that something is amiss and starts to do her own research in the years that she was gone and finds herself wondering what she had returned after she begins to receive chilling messages.

It’s hard to say a lot about this story, as you could easily give something important away but this really was a rollercoaster of a story. Riddled with suspense had plenty of unreliable characters, this claustrophobic tale had me gripped from with the first page, no sooner had I thought that I had figured it out then the author would throw another curveball twist. A haunting and chilling story about disappearance and discovery, ‘Safe’ is a twisty and complex story that will you guessing throughout.

You can buy ‘Safe’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops.
A kidnapped girl survived twelve nightmarish years.
Now she's safely back home . . . or is she?

Jenny Kristal was six years old when she was snatched off the sidewalk from her quiet suburban neighborhood. Twelve years later, she's miraculously returned home after escaping her kidnappers—but as her parents and younger brother welcome her back, the questions begin to mount. Where has she been all these years? Why is she back now? And is home really the safest place for her . . . or for any of them?

This book is a really good read.  When I first picked up the book and started reading it, I felt that it had some familiarity to it, but that soon disappeared and I saw this was completely different read! I did feel that the book was far fetched in places, but it did not take away the suspense and the originality of the book.  I had so many theories, but the author shocked me with the ending.
With thanks to NetGalley and Randon House for thr ARC.

Jenny Kristal was six when she vanished from her quiet, safe, neighbourhood.
Twelve long years later she walks into a local Police station...
...or does she?

Who is the young woman who claims to be Jenny? Is she Jenny? If not, what possible reason does she have for the scam?

A highly entertaining and tense story.

The layers of this onion are peeled back slowly but surely to reveal the truth at the heart of the story.
The tension slowly builds as more facts are revealed and hinted at, before the whole story unfolds at the end.

An excellent read.
This was a distressing story about child abuse, murder, fraud and redemption. There were lots of twists and turns and the last few pages were a bit confusing but it was a compelling story.
I loved this book. Jenny was 6 when she was kidnapped outside her house. 12 years later she walks into a police station. She is home. Things seem strange, the family struggle to reconnect after 12 years apart and the trauma they have experienced but Jenny's memory doesn't quite add up. What really happened to that little 6 year old and who will find the truth. This book covers a very wide range of sub-topics whilst following a very good plot on it's own. The struggles of such a long separation on the brother and the things people will do to protect their family. Lots of twists and a good ending that ties up all the loose ends.
A gripping story about a girl who returns back 12 years after disappearing....twists and turns throughout and the written very endearingly from the perspective of the girl...a decent read
I jokingly remember commented on my blog in early January that it looked like 2020 was going to be the year of the thrillers.  Little did I know how right I was because I've read so many good one this year and Safe is no exception.

When Jenny was six years old, she left her home to walk two houses down the street to play with a friend.  However, Jenny never made it.  For years her family searched for her but eventually, everyone gave up hope that Jenny would ever be found.  Now it's 12 years later and Jenny shows up back in town.  Her parents are thrilled and her brother seems to wish that she had stayed gone.  Jenny is trying to readjust to life while her parents, as well as the police, are trying to put together the pieces of her time away.  But it seems like everyone has secrets that they would much rather stay buried.

I loved this book.  It was compelling and exciting and held a few twists I didn't quite see coming.  I could not imagine the pain Jenny's parents experienced and I it was hard to see Jenny trying so hard to reconnect with her family.  I feel this is a book that's best gone into blindly and I have to admit, it's hard to say much more without giving anything away.  My only real issue with it is that the plot was just a tad predictable, but I think if someone reads a lot of the genre, they sort of have an idea where things are headed.  Yet I will add the author throws enough twists in to keep everything fresh and just as exciting.  If you are in the mood for a solid thriller, this is one you should consider picking up.
Wow!! This book hit me like a whirlwind and shook me, just when I thought I knew where it was heading the story changed direction. Such a clever, intriguing read, which totally had me holding my breath. Excellent, very well earned 5 stars!