Cover Image: The Long Path Home

The Long Path Home

This is quite the mystery and a page-turner. A lot of fun. Perfect for fans of Mrs. Maisel.

Many thanks to the author, the publishers, and NetGalley for the ARC. All opinions are my own.
The world of entertainment during WWII made this an interesting read.  Set between Chicago and Italy, A USO showgirl, a mobster's daughter and a murder, all make up a stew that not only simmers, but comes to a full boil.  The end results, terrific!  My thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Violet is on stage with stars on her nipples spinning with feathers. There is a war going on. Violet's real name is Lily. Tony pays violet a visit.
A mobster has been killed. Violet is the prime suspect. She must get away!
A burlesque dancer known simply as Lily is on the run  fearful of mob retaliation.
She turns to USO and joins the dance group to parade around in front of soldiers stationed in Italy.
Hoping for redemption she changes her name to Virginia to set off on a new life while babysitting the mob bosses daughter.
This was extremely long, tedious, and full of drawn out sequences throughout the book that didn't fulfill me in the way I'd hope.
The main question of whether or not Violet was framed for murder was interesting dynamic that played out prior to joining the American Song and dance group overseas.
Thank you to Ellen ,the pub, NetGalley, and Kindle for this ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Oh my gosh...what a ride!  From a runaway, to becoming a burlesque dance in Chicago, to a possible murderess, to a USO performer in WWII Italy, this book just didn't disappoint.  So many different topics...I want to recommend this book to everyone who enjoys historical romantic suspense, especially the WWII era.

I've never read Ellen Lindseth before and I was pleasantly surprised at the excellent background she gives of the time.  You can tell she's done her homework about the time, the treatment of women, and how one must make their own 'luck' when confronted with issues beyond their control.  An amazing read.  This won't be the last book by this author I'll be reading!
A story of love, war and redemption, the Long Path Home is a story of a young woman who has lived her life as various personas.

Vi hasn’t led a model life, leaving home at the age of 15 because she made a bad choice and couldn’t face her parents and sister with the truth.  Working as an exotic dancer under an assumed name, she gets involved with the wrong crowd and becomes a suspect in the murder of a member of the mob.

Vi joins the USO under yet another assumed name and travels abroad to entertain American troops.  What follows is an exciting story of love, war and spies that kept me turning the pages until the end.

This is the first book by Ms. Lindseth that I have read, but it definitely won’t be the last.  I definitely recommend The Long Path Home to anyone who enjoys women’s fiction, romance and WWII stories.  You won’t be disappointed.

I received an advanced reading copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.  All opinions expressed are my own.
I want to say a huge thank you to NetGalley, Lake Union Publishing, and author Ellen Lindseth for providing me with an ARC of this book!

The Long Path Home is an amazing work of historical fiction, touched with excitement and mystery. This novel is set in the time frame of World War II in Italy, 1944. We find ourselves following Vi through an absolutely tremendous story. A burlesque dancer and the mob? Count me in!

When Vi is framed for the murder of a well-known mob member, she finds herself leaving Chicago to find safety elsewhere. But there’s a catch; she has to keep tabs on the daughter of a mob boss, Marcie.

Not only did the cover of this novel catch my eye, the synopsis did as well. I am so glad I got the chance to read it. This is a well written story that will keep you rapt. This time period and genre are a favorite of mine, and this re-telling of it did not disappoint.
If you’re a fan of historical fiction, snag this book!

Thank you again to all of those listed for this ARC!
This is historical fiction with mystery and suspense. There is so much to this story, I don't know where to begin. I loved the setting and the time frame. Violet Ernte was a teen star who has had to wear many faces, and she wears them well. Framed for murder she heads to war torn Italy. All she really wants is to love and be loved. This was such a heart felt and gripping read. I read it straight through. This is my first time reading this author. One of the best historical fiction books I've read this year.

Dawnny-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte
Hudson Valley NY
The Long Path Home is an epic piece of historical fiction with a touch of mystery set against the backdrop of World War II Italy circa 1944. It follows Violet ”Vi” Ernte a Chicagoan burlesque dancer who has been mercilessly framed for the murder of a well-known mobster and finds a way to slip beneath the radar and leave the United States for Europe before anything can happen to her. Her friend Sal is instrumental in getting her a place amongst the USO troupe about to travel to Europe to entertain American troops stationed there. The only catch is that she must ensure she will keep tabs on another member of the troupe and daughter of a mob boss, Marcie.

This is a highly original novel which was the reason I was drawn to it, and the narrative is well written with plenty of intrigue but the success of the story depends largely on quite how much you are able to connect and sympathise with the main protagonist, Vi. I felt she was relatable, interesting and incredibly unique in this genre. Both the settings and the wider cast of characters are compelling and it was a book I felt absolutely characterised the period in which its set perfectly. If you enjoy slightly different multigenre historical fiction then give this a go. Recommended. Many thanks to Lake Union Publishing for an ARC.
The Long Path Home, by Ellen Lindseth, is set in Chicago during World War 2. It follows the path of Violet, or Vi, a girl who once acted in a reproachable manner, wrongly becomes the chief suspect in a murder investigation and flees to Europe to hide. While she’s in Europe, Vi takes on a new persona - playing a show girl who entertains the troops with the USO. There's some interesting material here about the USO, as well as a romance and a thriller of sorts. Defiant and resilient, Vi is used to taking risks. This time it’s for redemption and you want things to work out for her. To love, and to be loved. And for a second chance at a future she thought was lost forever.

This is an exciting read and grips you from the start. There is so much more to Vi than and you want things to work out for her. Falling in love, shot by partisans in Italy and saving a number of lives, Vi is an amazingly brave woman who always tries to do the right thing. The conclusion to her story gives a chance of hope and a happy ending. This story is an enjoyable read, one that certainly won't disappoint and will appeal to fans of historical fiction. I recommend The Long Path Home to other readers.

I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book.
Heart warming. Just the type of story we need with all the unending tragedy we are facing today. It's full of hope. It's a little intense. It's wonderfully written. So definitely a must read. Happy reading!
Thank you NetGalley, the air and publisher for the ARC of The Long Path Home. All  opinions are my own.

Well written, a different take on a WWll era story. While some of the story seemed to drag a bit for me, I did enjoy it. The characters were intresting and I especially enjoyed the intrigue they were involved in.
This was a pretty unique story, about a burlesque dancer and former prostitute that is on the run, for allegedly killing a mobster in Chicago. Her boss arranges for her to join an USO troop, headed for Italy, toward the end of the war. She’s also given the responsibility of supervising a mob bosses daughter to keep her out of trouble.
A very engaging novel by #EllenLindseth, with apparent research that lends historical facts to the story. I found it very entertaining and reminiscent of the WWII musicals of the 50’s, engaging and interesting characters.
I received this ARC from #NetGalley and #LakeUnion and any opinions are my own.
Vi is a burlesque performer but she has had to be a prostitute, dancer and performer for men under the name of Lily Lamour. There is so much to Vi than that though, the reason she had to reinvent herself was that pregnant at 15 she ran away from home and her little son has been adopted out of her world. The Second World War and a dead mafia man have put everything at risk.
Her old friend Sol offers a way out of a tricky situation by going on a dancing and singing tour to entertain the troops whilst protecting a mafia chief’s daughter on the tour.
This is an exciting read and grips you from the start. There is so much depth to Vi and you want things to work out for her. Falling in love, shot by partisans in Italy and saving a number of lives Vi is an amazingly brave woman who always tries to do the right thing.
The conclusion to her story gives a chance of hope and a happy ending.
This was a very different take on a historic novel. It really showed a different side of this era, and it also gave you a glimpse into the USO. I found the whole book to be very interesting. The story line was very believable, and you become very invested into the main character, Vi. This book is truly about redemption and getting a second chance in life. She was able to rewrite her story, which is something she never thought possible.
A very different WWII novel!  Vi ran away from home at 15 (for good reason) and supported herself in Chicago as a dancer until one night she found herself in a very nasty situation.  Luckily, her boss knows someone who can help her- all she has to do is protect Marcie, the daughter of a Mob boss who has run away to join the USO.  There's some interesting material here about the USO, as well as a romance (with Ansel) and a thriller of sorts when Marcie is threatened.  You might shake your head about Vi at the start but by the end you will be rooting for her.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  It's a quick read with good characters that will appeal to fans of historical fiction.
Under investigation for murder and set against the backdrop of WWII, this book follow Violet as she has to gets a spot in the USO to dance her way into a new life. Part historical fiction, part thriller, I was intrigued through the whole book.
The Long Path Home is set in Chicago in World War 2. It follows the path of Violet, or Vi, a girl who although has acted in a reproachable manner, incorrectly becomes the chief suspect in a murder investigation and flees to Europe to hide. While there she must pose as a show girl and entertain the troops, a career which doesn't come as second nature to her. While there she makes friends and gets a second chance. This story is about redemption as well as writing as a World War 2 thriller. It's a very enjoyable read, one that certainly won't disappoint.
The Long Path Home by Ellen Lindseth

I got this book for  fair and honest review form NetGalley

The Long Path Home, tells the story of Vi a burlesque dancer in Chicago who ran away from home when she was fifteen, after getting pregnant, by her sisters fiancée. The book opens after a show when Vi goes to a a house with a hit man, while there instead of having sex with him Vi uses a drug to knocked him out, she then leaves only to find the next day that the person she drugged was killed and Vi is wanted by the police for the murder. The only way Vi has of getting out of Chicago is arranged by her friend and boss Sal who Arranges for Vi to help protect the the daughter of a Mafia boss whose daughter has run away to work with the USO to entertain the American troops in Europe.

The main character Vi has grown up, in her time on in Chicago but the life she has led is not want the USO want in their shows, so she has to take on a new persona however this can lead to even more trouble not only with her fellow cast members as well as Sargent Danger a GI who is their to help the cast while they are in a war zone.

The story Arc of The Long Path Home could have been a basic redemption story of the main character. However what the writer Ellen Lindseth does is take This well known basic story were you learn about USO in World War II and turns it in to a war thriller.

I can highly recommend you should read Ellen Lindseth latest book The Long Way home.
This book was ok...it was hard to like the main character and there was something lacking in the writing...the premise of the story was interesting