Cover Image: Mr. Ash Tuesday

Mr. Ash Tuesday

Bizarre and then some, this four-parter has on this evidence some wonderfully detailed and inventive art, but it fell a little too 'out there' for me.  That's not to say it's not grounded on a recognisable base – our hero ends up dead (due to a specific car accident) and finds wherever it is he ends up firstly a sandy, desolate world of bleakness, and then a riotous bearpit with Kafkaesque bureaucracy.  So far, so almost traditional – it's when it has some weird ideas where drinking establishments are concerned, where some heretic types come up and demand a greater ability with action than this artist can muster, and when everyone looks the same, I find awkwardness with it.  For the right reader this is such a stand-out book they'd give it many more stars than I can.  For me, I admire the individuality on offer here, but wouldn't be returning for three more parts of the same.
I couldn't understand it. It was weird and I don't think I can write anything about this comic. Extremely sorry but it was very confusing. A really bad read for me.
Because he died on Ash Tuesday, Victor Tourterelle's new name in the afterlife is just that: Mr. Ash Tuesday. After a fatal accident, Victor awakens in a bleak, desert- or moon-like landscape, and he himself has become a skeleton. Intent on discovering where (purgatory?), when (afterlife?) and what he is (a skeleton, really?). Soon, his curiosity leads him into trouble - but there are also others who see great potential in him. The illustrations are brilliant, in bleak black and white but also rich with detail, so you can easily recognize the feelings of the characters, even though they are all skeletons, which shouldn't normally be able to show facial expressions. The plot is very intriguing, a little philosophical but also humorous and even suspenseful, but thankfully not too much of any of it. I would love to accompany Mr. Ash Tuesday on his next adventure.
I don't know if this just went over my head or what but I didn't enjoy the story. I really liked the art and the coloring especially but the story itself was hard for me to follow. I am giving it 3/5 for the art style which was really interesting to look at but the story is more of a 1.5/5 or a 2/5 as it is something I wouldn't read again or even enjoyed.
'Mr. Ash Tuesday 1. Welcome' with art and story by Eric Liberge is an odd story of the afterlife and the chaos of Purgatory.

When Victor Tourtelle trips on a toy car and dies, he finds himself in the afterlife.  He is now a skeleton, as are everyone around him.  He is processed and given a new name based on the day he died, Ash Tuesday.  Now Victor/Ash is just trying to figure out his new place in this weird world.

I really liked this odd, dark story.  The humor is sharp and weird.  The illustrations were amazing, and I loved lots of the background details.

I received a review copy of this graphic novel from Europe Comics and NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  Thank you for allowing me to review this graphic novel.
Mr. Ash Tuesday doesn’t know where he is.  He ends up making a chalk city.  The postman comes informing him that he is now known as Mr. Ash Tuesday which he promptly says “no, I’m Victor Turtledove.”  The postman disagrees and asks him to sign his death certificate.  He doesnt understand and wants his questions answered.  Will he get them answered?  The postman gives him a ride to the city which only ends up making him more confused and angry.  Will he survive even if he is just a skeleton?

This is a look at purgatory or at least the author’s idea.  It is drawn and colored perfectly for this graphic novel.  I enjoyed the story seeing how Mr. Ash Tuesday experiences the place he is in and what he learns or doesn’t learn.  I’m quite intrigued to see what happens next!
It was creepy, I loved the art and the humor. I laughed a bit at some comments from the characters, and I appreciated the fact that the skeletons grind coffee and can see the memories/the life of those whose bones they grind. It was hilarious for me because I work in a coffee shop, but also original because I think it would be cool being able to peak into people's life through coffee beans.
Unfortunately tho it wasn't the kind of story that worked for me as I found it a bit messy and didn't really understand the dynamics. I still think that it's not a problem of the book itself but more of myself as a reader. I thought to find something in this book and it turned out to be an entire different thing, so my bad.
It's still a valid story for those who are fan of the genre, so I would recommend it and gift it, just... Not to myself, ahah!
I really didn't "get" this graphic novel. There didn't seem to be much plot and the coffee bits just didn't make any sense to me.

The artwork is clearly very accomplished and the graphic novel is a labour of love but its just not for me.

Thanks to Europe Comics and Netgalley for this ARC.
I really enjoyed this graphic novel because of its art style and entrenching plot. I would highly recommend this to fans of graphic novels and odd, interesting stories.
First, I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Mr. Ash Tuesday is a graphic novel.

The story is unique, even delightful. I have read several books about purgatory and life after death The Great Divorce by C S Lewis, The Divine comedies (Purgatorio) by Dante Alighieri, Jacob Ladders, The Lovely Bones among others). There is a certain insanity display in this story, an insanity that would naturally belong in the abode of the dead.

The graphics are quite good too. Facial expressions conveyed by the skulls,  emotions, inane scenes.

This was one of the better graphic novels I have read. I enjoyed it immensely and recommend it highly.
This is a very compelling graphic novel. The artwork is well done and the story really keeps you thinking throughout.
Dark and mysterious and a little hard to follow. I loved the artwork but the story didn't really capture me.
This was the most unique graphic novel that i've ever read. It was brilliant and dark. I loved the artwork. It was beautiful and very detailed.
After fatally slipping on his son's toy car, former mapmaker Victor Tourterelle wakes up in an unknown desert that just so happens to be on Pluto (AKA Purgatory). Renamed Ash Tuesday (because bureaucracy) and now a skeleton, Victor grapples with his strange new afterlife, all while struggling with the concept of eternity. Unfortunately, while I loved the super creepy, sometimes whimsical artwork, as well as the dark comic premise, the satirical story wasn't enough to make me want to keep reading.
This unfortunately just did not keep my attention. I think it is more a question of personal taste for this one; I like bright and cheerful comics so I just could not keep focused on this art style and found I was drifting off into boredom. Very well put together though.
Dark,smart and humorous. If you don't pay attention, you may miss somethings and get confused. Pretty abstract and unique way of viewing the afterlife or pre-after life. I truly enjoyed the story and the quirks.
After a random, unfortunate accident, Victor Tourterelle passes on to the other side. With no body except for bones, but all memory and consciousness intact, Victor will despair, thinking life as he knows it is over. And it might be. But adventure still awaits.

Mr. Ash Tuesday is a very unique and amusing story, with a good deal of caustic humor involved. The illustrations are atmospheric and exceptional, complementing the story perfectly. Recommended for the fans of graphic novels.
I appreciate having had an opportunity to read and review this book. The appeal of this particular book was not evident to me, and if I cannot file a generally positive review I prefer simply to advise the publisher to that effect and file no review at all.
After a fatal slip on the toy car that his son had left in the bathroom, Victor Tourterelle dies. He finds himself in the world of chalk desert, under a sky as black as ink. He still has all senses which is surprising given he has no flesh, only bones.

It was great. Frankly, it's one of the most original graphic novels I've read in years. It has it all - strong storytelling, great art, and an intriguing plot. I can't wait to put my hands on the second volume of the series!

ARC through NetGalley.
This really piqued my curiosity ...interesting concept, cool cover. The art wasn’t as grand as I had hoped and the storyline left me a trifle confused and a bit flat. With that said, I recognize that there will be another audience that is sure to eat this up and clamor for the next installment. Just not my particular cup of tea.