Cover Image: An Appalachian Summer

Revell
 Christian
Pub Date 30 Jun 2020

I am reviewing a copy of An Appalachian Summer through Revell and Netgalley:

This book transports us back to 1933 Louisville, Kentucky,  even the economic depression cannot keep Piper Danson's parents from insisting on a debut party.   Because unlike so many others their fortune came through the market crash intact, and they've picked out the perfect suitor for their daughter. Braxton Crandall can give her the kind of life she's used to.   The problem is Braxton Brandon Crandall is not the man she wants nor is it the life.

When Piper gets the opportunity to volunteer as a horseback Frontier Nursing courier in the Appalachian Mountains for the summer, Piper jumps at the chance to be something other than a dutiful daughter or a kept wife in a  marriage without love.   The work is difficult but the scenery is absolutely gorgeous and the people she meets open a new world to her.  The longer she stays, the more an marriage that could be advantageous slips from her grasp. But she finds something much more precious, true love, is drawing ever closer.

I give An Appalachian Summer five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
4 1/2 stars

A perfect read for fans of historical fiction.

I was drawn to this book for several reasons besides the gorgeous cover. One I'm a fan of Ann Gabhart. I've met her and she is one of the nicest writers. Two, the book starts out in Louisville, KY. I love reading about my hometown of the past. Three, I was interested in learning the Frontier Nursing Service. I was not disappointed. I found myself turning pages late into the night.

A clean, Christian read for most all ages. I would have no issues giving this to older middle-grade readers.

I received a complimentary copy from the publisher, Revell, through NetGalley. All opinions expressed in the above review are entirely my own.
Well this was the first book that I Attempted to read on the new NetGalley app. I don’t know if it had a short license and then I lose it or what. Just a little over 1/2 way point it said my license had expired so I can’t read the rest.
I was loving the book but since I didn’t put on Kindle I don’t have it now and will have to wait to finish when I can get through Libby or the library. I’m quite bummed out.
I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley but was not able to finish it at this time.
With An Appalachian Summer, Ann H. Gabhart gives readers a thoroughly enjoyable story wrapped in with a celebration of differences. It was easy to get pulled in from the very first introduction of Piper Danson, who wants nothing to do with a debutante season or finding a suitable match, much less doing so in the midst of the Great Depression. It is easy to relate to Piper's search for an opportunity to do something with real meaning, and to find out who she truly is before settling for a the match chosen by her father instead of marrying the man she has loved since childhood. And it is easy to see why Piper grows to feel the way she does about the Frontier Nursing Service and the people she meets during her time with them.

Piper is different from many of the people around her; her social status dictates that she should marry money, especially amidst the uncertainty of the Depression era, but the love of her heart has lost his family money and along with it, his social status. She does not care for the extravagance of lavish parties when so many others are suffering, and she searches for her own identity in a time when such is not considered necessary. Through the course of this one summer, Piper finds that she is not such a rare bird, nor is she unsupported by the women in her life. She finds beauty and strength in the works and ways of those she encounters during her Appalachian summer, which helps her discover the beauty and strength within herself to follow God's lead for her future.

Thank you to the author and the publisher for allowing me the opportunity to read and review this book. All opinions in this review are my own and are completely genuine
Interesting book about the Appalachan way of life.. It was a great service to the mountain( people, not just for their health but their overall way of life.
I adored this book, An Appalachian Summer by Ann H. Gabhart. I started it today and finished it today! It was so good. I didn't want to put it down! The story takes place near the end of the Great Depression. It is 1933 and Piper Danson is twenty years old. Her mother wants her to have her debutante ball, even if she is older than she should be when she finally has it. Her father has made a match for her, with a wealthy man in the railroad business. The only problem is that her heart belongs to someone else, to Jamie. The day after her ball, she attends a tea, where she learns about the Frontier Nursing that takes place in the mountains. They need volunteers to come and take care of horses and assist the nursing midwifes. Piper heads out that very week, determined to not think about her future until she has had time to do something that makes a difference. However, the future seems to be pressing in on her. Will she follow her heart? Or follow the road laid out for her?
This was a great story, as all of Gabhart's books that I have read are. I love how her characters face the same types of issues that are around us every day. And that they are not afraid to discuss how the God of miracles is still at work today.
I offer my opinion of this book freely. I am grateful to NetGalley and the publisher for this opportunity.
I love books set in the Appalachian Mountains and have enjoyed several books by Ann Gabhart. An Appalachian Summer did not disappoint me! The book is fiction based on the Frontier Nursing Service and their midwives and couriers. Piper was an excellent female protagonist who was not interested in her debut or the man her father had chosen for her! I admired how Piper managed to postpone marriage by volunteering as a courier in the mountains. Piper was a courageous young lady who cared for horses, helped deliver babies and learned to kill and dress a chicken and to milk a cow as well as many other duties! Piper had loved Jamie since childhood but his now impoverished status does not meet Piper's father's requirements for a son-in-law! You will admire Dr. Jack who works at the local mountain hospital and remembers an intriguing young woman he met years ago. Piper's aunt, Truda, has never married or forgotten the poor young intern she spent several hours visiting with. I recommend An Appalachian Summer to anyone who enjoys Christian fiction. I received a complimentary e-book from NetGalley. This is my honest opinion.
An Appalachian Summer by Ann Gabbart is the thrilling, fast moving story of an intrepid explorer-like young woman, who has the amazing courage to bravely and boldly step away from the dull, wearisome past into the vast expanse of a beautiful future spread out gorgeously before her. In 1933, when Piper volunteers as a horseback Frontier Nursing courier in the Appalachian Mountains for the summer, it is her last chance to be something more than a boring old drudge. As a whole new and exciting world opens up to her in dazzling array, the longer she stays there, something much more precious, true love, beckons even closer. In this fast-moving and exciting tale, Ann Gabhart skillfully handles the Appalachian landscape and culture with an expert's eye, making them spring to life, vibrant in every color. The amazing tenacity and  sterling bravery instilled in the leading lady character in this rugged, heartwarming tale are truly admirable, worthy of respect and emulation. I highly recommend this awesome book to all who love fast-paced action in every form.
I highly recommend this book.  I chose An Appalachian Summer because of the beautiful cover and that it was Christian fiction.  This was the first time reading this author, Ann Gabhart, and I will definitely be looking for her books.

May 1933 is the debut ball for Piper Danson, a 20-year old daughter of a Louisville, Kentucky banker and his wife.  The guest list was smaller than what her sister Leona had had but that was okay with Piper.  It was an evening that she endured for the sake of her family and Braxton Crandall was her escort for the evening.   Both the Danson and Crandall families pulled through the depression without trouble, thence the celebration.  We are also introduced to Aunt Truda Danson and Jamie Russell, a childhood friend whose family did not fare well during those years.

Throughout the book we hear from each character, Piper, Truda and Jamie which allows details to be given to enhance the story.

Truda hosts an afternoon tea the next day at the home of Piper.  Mrs. Mary Breckenridge is the guest speaker and was trying to raise funds for the Frontier Nursing Service in the Appalachian Mountains in eastern Kentucky.  Mrs. Breckenridge had a talk with Piper who becomes intrigued because as a horse lover, Piper finds that she could have a place within the service as a courier doing what she loved.

In a matter of a few days Piper finds herself on a train bound for Hazard, Kentucky and ultimately Wendover.  Later in the summer, Truda goes to Wendover and has her own experiences as do Jamie and Braxton.

Throughout this beautifully told tale we are introduced to various nurses, couriers, and mountain folk each helping Piper to grow as an individual and to find the will of God in her life.  We see how the Frontier Nursing Service helps the people of the mountains and you easily find yourself following along the various adventures of the courier life.

I was given a free copy of this book for review by Net Galley and the opinion is my own.  #AnAppalachianSummer #AnnGabhart  #NetGalley
I love that Piper, a reluctant debutant, left behind her life of wealth to work in the horse stalls for Mary Breckenridge's Frontier Nursing Service. The girl digs in and tries to forget about the possibility of marriage and instead turns her attention to the horses and people she meets. Along with Piper's tale, Ann delights the reader with the story of Piper's aunt. I won't tell too much on her—just that I enjoyed Truda's character very much. Ann draws the reader into the beautiful Appalachian Mountains, a lovely respite from the world. An Appalachian Summer is Ann's second book featuring the horseback Frontier Nursing Service. I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
An Appalachian Summer by Ann H. Gabhart

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

______________________________________________________________________________

Story Notes

Ann H. Gabhart brings readers a lovely story that has both heart and knowledge to share about the life of nurses and couriers in the Appalachian Mountains in the 1930s.

Before receiving this story, I don’t believe I’d read anything by Ms. Gabhart. But I am hoping she will continue this story with some of the ladies that had minor roles in this one. She began her telling with the extravagant debut party for a young socialite named Piper Danson. While Piper enjoys a good party, she would rather the focus be on someone other than herself. Her family came through the Crash of 1929 with little loss and her father is determined to grow their fortune with an advantageous marriage between Piper and another Society family’s son. But Piper is not ready to give up her independence just yet. She wants to do something important with her life before marriage is her only option. Her something important comes to her in the form of the Frontier Nursing Association, led by Mary Breckenridge. Although Piper doesn’t have the training to serve as a nurse, she does have the knowledge to be a courier for the Association. Excited about this chance, Piper enlists her Aunt Truda and her mother to convince her father to allow her to go. Piper has another more personal reason to leave Louisville – the man she has loved for years has left her behind. Jaime’s family lost everything in the crash, including his father. Though he loves her, Jaime cannot propose to Piper with no job or means of support. He has always hoped to become a writer and finally gets a chance at his first printed story. He will travel to Wendover and write a in-depth story on the Frontier Nursing Association. Little does he know that his story will bring him closer to Piper than he ever hoped and offer him a future he has only dreamed about. With beautiful scenery, funny escapades and moments of wonder, Piper will see a new side of life and what it means to live for others. And if she can let go of her notions of what she “needs” in life, she just might find that everything she is really looking for is waiting right in front of her. I really enjoyed the characters and the setting of this story. The characters were interesting and clearly experienced growth throughout the pages and I was impressed with how real faith was woven carefully but firmly into all situations. Piper and Truda were a bit selfish at the beginning of the story but both learned quite a lot about what’s important in life and that love is worth more than they knew. Jaime provided some funny scenes and the perspective of one who had to recreate his life in the face of total loss. He gained confidence through his experiences and finally understood that money doesn’t make a person better than another. I also enjoyed the well written descriptions of the mountains. There was just enough information to spark your imagination without being too detailed or boring. The people that the main characters met throughout the pages provided such insight into the lives of the mountain folks and proved that caring for others means more than just words. How interesting it was to read of the experiences of the nurses and couriers! I was really engaged by that part of the story and would love to learn more about those brave individuals who made that work their career. It made the book even better in my opinion because it made me consider whether I might have been willing to serve other in that way if I had lived then. I will certainly be recommending this book to others as both an informative and wonderful read. I do hope that Ms. Gabhart will write more stories about this topic and the ladies she introduced here. Looking forward to what she will offer up next!

I received this temporary complimentary E-book from Revell Publishing via NetGalley in order to provide a fair and honest review. I will receive no fiscal compensation for this review and the opinions expressed herein are entirely my own.
Really enjoyed reading Ann Gabhart’s “An Appalachian Summer”. Have read a few of her Amish books before and liked them but definitely preferred this historical fiction one. It is set in her home state of Kentucky and brings to life the horseback midwife program of Eastern Kentucky in the early part of the 20th century. It is a predictable romance story but a feel good Christian-themed one that gave me new insights into a little-known historical component of Kentucky.
It’s the 1930s, and rich Piper goes to help in the Appalachians for the summer. While I liked the story overall, at times it was skimmable. Would recommend though, as made for a good summer read.
Read Review Rejoice's Review of An Appalachian Summer by Ann H. Gabhart: With as intriguing a blurb as this book has I found that I unexpectedly do not like it. Due to the drama of Piper's feelings on her hoped-for marriage, I found that the book fell flat. Those that enjoy historical romances may find An Appalachian Summer to be at the top of their to be read lists even if I didn't like it.

I voluntarily received and reviewed a complimentary copy of this book which I received from the author. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
"An Appalachian Summer" is a romance set in 1933 in Kentucky. The story had three viewpoint characters who were all asking themselves what they wanted from life. Truda is in her 40s and has a job she enjoys but she never married because the most intriguing man she ever met was warned off of courting her. Jamie has been best friends with Piper since their childhood, and both love each other. But the stock market crash took Jamie's family's fortune and now he's struggling to figure out how to support himself, let alone a wife. Piper's parents have chosen a kind, rich young man who is willing to marry her and believes that love will grow between them. But her heart still belongs to Jamie.

I had really expected the people of the Appalachian Mountains to play a larger role in the story, but most of the story occurred at the courier and nurse bases. Many of the events would have been the same if this story occurred on a farm with a garden, cattle, and horses. The characters were very self-focused the whole time, constantly mulling over what they want from life. Piper was focused on her own accomplishments: the first time she painted a door, milked a cow, watched a birth, picked some beans from the garden, etc. The location simply meant that her parents weren't there to pressure her. While I assume that learning how much she could actually do did free Piper to make the right decision, it seemed to me that she was always going to choose the man she did. It was more that Jamie felt so worthless and adrift that he struggled to even ask Piper.

A few of the characters made comments about seeing God's handiwork in the beauty of nature. One person questioned if Piper knew God or simply went to church, but Piper never really pursued the answer to this. There was no sex or bad language. Overall, I'd recommend this interesting romance.
I have decided that it must be impossible to write about the Appalachian Mountains without infusing your story with the artistry, imagery, and music of nature. Or so it appears from the ones I have read. An Appalachian Summer continues this tradition with a vivid portrayal of the beauty of this place, along with the people and critters that inhabit it.

I loved being immersed in this world of the past on the verge of becoming the future. Modern and yet so foreign. A world where children are passed from stranger to stranger to bring them to a hospital for care. A world where women have the vote and yet are not expected to work outside the home. A world where the backwoods are still foreign and a little frightening.

The characters were wonderful! From spunky Piper and her aunt Truda to the arrogant Braxton Crandall (honestly, you can't just call him Braxton!) to the gentle and playful Jamie to the colorful people of the mountains. They came alive and worked their way into my heart. I especially loved when Jamie was unexpectedly chaperoning little Thomas until he could be reunited with his family. The fact Jamie would have undertaken such a responsibility and the way he entertained the frightened young boy was heartwarming and fun!

The Frontier Nursing association was fascinating. To have young women out in an area where strangers were treated with suspicion and greeted with guns, traveling by themselves bringing medicine and messages to care for the women and children. Wow! And even better, this part of the story is not fiction. While several births in the story were witnessed and described, the detail was appropriate and still in good taste.

One of my favorite aspects of An Appalachian Summer was the faith that was such an integral part of some of the characters. The kind of faith that couldn't help but come out in their speech as they encouraged Piper to look beyond her actions into her heart to be certain that her relationship with the Lord was not mere knowledge. This was a quiet undercurrent of the story, a sure foundation that didn't draw unnecessary attention to itself, and yet the story would not have been as strong without it.
An Appalachian Summer by Ann H. Gabhart is a pleasing historical, Christian novel.  I thought it was well-written with interesting characters.  Piper Danson is twenty years old and not ready to settle down.  She would like some adventure.  Piper hears Mary Breckinridge speak at a tea arranged by her Aunt Truda and immediately volunteers.  Piper loves the mountains with its natural beauty and even enjoys the hard work.  She learns a variety of new skills while making friends with her fellow couriers, the nurse midwives, patients, and the families that inhabit the area.  I enjoyed the beautiful descriptions of the Appalachian Mountains the quirky people who lived in them.  They residents do not take kindly to strangers especially governments types, but they love Mary Breckinridge and her workers. Piper is a woman finding her path in life.  She is also given a chance to take God into her heart and discover love.   Truda Danson was a delightful character.  She was a woman ahead of her time.  In today’s world, Truda would be running a large corporation.  There was only one man who captured her interest and Truda never heard from him again their quick encounter at her debut ball.  Jamie Russell has been Piper’s lifelong friend who never told her how he truly felt about her.  When the Russell family lost their fortune, they decamped to Danville.  Jamie finds his way to the mountains where he gathers information for articles he is writing for a paper.  Can romance bloom in the mountains?  Unfortunately, the course of true love is not a smooth one.  There are a variety of secondary characters who include the other couriers, nurse midwives, a hardworking doctor, and Jamie’s opposition.   I enjoyed reading An Appalachian Summer.  A story about strong women, faith, hope, and love.  An Appalachian Summer is a charming story that took me back in time among the people who live in the Appalachian Mountains.
An Appalachian Summer is a historical novel set in 1933.  Piper Danson has returned home from college to find her father has informally arranged her marriage to a prominent young businessman, Braxton Crandall. However, Piper's heart is still with her childhood sweetheart, Jamie Russell.  After she goes to a presentation on the Frontier Nursing Service, she volunteers to be a courier for the group in the Appalachian Mountains for the summer.  The summer working in Appalachia, away from her family, changes her life.  When both Jamie and Braxton follow her to the mountains, things really get interesting!

I wanted to read this novel because the setting and subject matter were intriguing.  I rarely encounter historical novels set during the Depression years, and the Appalachian Mountains setting was especially appealing.

This is a lovely read about another time and place!  The historical details are lovingly rendered;  the author does such a good job of capturing mountain life in the 1930's.  Piper works closely with nurse midwives and watches (and helps with) some childbirths.  She encounters sweet children from hardscrabble backgrounds.  She also experiences life on a farm for the first time - milking cows, taking care of horses, tending to chickens.  There are a few instances of the treatment of animals in this mountain community that were hard to read, although they seem realistic for the time and place.

Piper is a brave, daring young woman who is willing to step out of her comfort zone to learn how other people live;  she truly is motivated by helping them and making a difference in their lives.  I loved her sweet lifelong love of Jamie, and also liked that her other suitor, Braxton, is a decent person and likable in his own right.

There is an enjoyable secondary storyline about Piper's aunt Truda, who is in her 40's and never married.  She lost touch with her first love, Jack, years ago, but he surprisingly crosses paths with the family in this novel.  I enjoyed reading their story as well.

An Appalachian Summer is an engrossing historical novel that gives a unique glimpse at another time and place.  I had not heard of the Frontier Nursing Service before, and learned it was a real organization, founded by Mary Breckenridge - just like in the novel.  Fans of historical fiction will enjoy this summer story.
This was a light, enjoyable read, although it was a bit predictable.  The setting was researched well and was very realistic.
Title: An Appalachian Summer

Author:  Ann H Gabhart

Ch: 43

Pg: 368

Genre: Christian Historical fiction with a hint of romance

Rating: 5 stars

Publisher: Revell

In depression era Louisville Piper Danson has just had her debut a few years later than most but she wants more from life than marrying that her father wants for her. After hearing Mary Breckinridge speak about the frontier nursing service she volunteers to be a courier for the service for the summer. Hoping that she can find herself and what she wants out of life.

Jamie Russell has been Pipers friend since childhood but since his family has lost everything in the crash he’s pretty much black balled from society.

I enjoyed this novel as I have ever novel I’ve read by Ann H Gabhart and I loved the Kentucky sitting and seeing my hometown during the depression at least in fiction. Since I was a child I’ve been fascinated by both the Frontier Nursing Service and the Packhorse librarians both founded in my home state of Kentucky. These women were indeed heroes.

My favorite character outside of Piper is Mrs. Miller one of the locals that works in the garden whom everyone refers to as a granny herself included. Her wisdom and knowledge and the fact that she reminds me of her my own granny who has the same last name.

An Appalachian Summer shows to groups of people and how they were handling the depression. Pipers father and family despite the crash were trying to hold to their way of life and wealth. Then there’s the mountain people who as a reader I don’t think they even realized that the country was in a depression.

Quite frankly as a reader i would spend time with the mountain people.

The theme that stood out to me the most in An Appalachian Summer was rich in spirit. And how that would be better for you in the long run.

An Appalachian Summer is a great historical fiction read that gives slight Christy vibes. I would recommend this book to fans of historical fiction who are looking for a summer read.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher a part of a blog tour. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.

I received a copy of this book from the publisher through netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are mine alone.