Cover Image: The Killings at Kingfisher Hill

The Killings at Kingfisher Hill

This may be based loosely on Christie's Poirot (though Poirot on a coach? I think not!) but the twisty, labyrinthine plot is pure Hannah. It takes a while to get going with Catchpole playing catch-up most of the time but without Hasting's comic wrong-footedness and amiability. A fun, light read with a fiendishly tangled story.
A new Hercule Poirot mystery by one of my favourite writers is always something to enjoy – and I thoroughly rated this. Reminiscent in part of Christie classics Nemesis and Ordeal by Innocence, Poirot is travelling by coach to Kingfisher Hill estate. The son and heir to the house has asked Poirot and Inspector Catchpool to prove that his fiancé, Helen, did not kill her future brother-in-law. Poirot and Catchpool meet a family with plenty to hide, but not before one bus passenger is reluctant to sit in a specific seat and there’s plenty of bad mouthing even before the bus leaves London. When a body is found in the Kingfisher estate, with links to the famous bus journey, Poirot wonders just how close everything truly is tied. And it’s a cracking whodunit – a cast of characters, not many of whom are especially likeable, with the wit and intelligence of carefully cutting through the red herrings that Poirot is famous for. I read it in one sitting and loved it.