Cover Image: The Choice

The Choice

Matt stupidly leaves his children in the car whilst nipping to the shop and returns a few short minutes later to discover the vehicle gone and his children with it.

The kidnapper wants a ransom - the value is his wife.

This is a great thriller with lots of red herrings thrown into the mix.

We learn a lot about his Matt and Annabel met, their careers and their early lives, where the narrative switched between the current day and the past, which is chronological in its story telling.

There is also the narrative of the kidnapper which I like - I find it interesting to hear their thoughts and what their plans are.

Overall a good thriller, not quite edge of your seat but engaging.

Annabel is a quick thinker under pressure and I liked this about her. Matt is more of a wet blanket but I think that helps to make him seem more a helpless victim in the story.

If you like Alex Lake’s writing you won’t be disappointed by this.
I really enjoyed this book snd read over 2 days. The chapters were short and easy to read - I kept thinking ‘just one more’. I liked the idea of the ransom being Annabelle rather than money but didn’t think the reasoning behind the kidnapper being who he was was very believable, though it was quite easy to guess who it was.   It was as though there were lots of brilliant bits that didn’t quite make fantastic - for example o didn’t think it needed the police to tell anabelle they wouldn’t tell what happened.  Seemed a pointless addition but I enjoyed the story very much - the way she was moved, the teenager in the boat and the ending were all highlights.   I would definitely read another Alex Lake book
The synopsis of this book was very promising and i went in expecting a gripping thriller. However what i got was a cheesy soap opera with characters i didn't care for and a ridiculous antagonist. I didn't really care for the inclusion of covid either.
Annabelle and Matt’s children have been kidnapped, and an unusual ransom has been demanded.

As the backstory is revealed, there isn’t a shortage of unsavory or suspicious characters that the main characters have to consider. It made me wonder what kind of wake we all leave as we simply move through life. Everyone was on my suspect list, and it was so fun checking people off as the story unfolded.

The POV changes and coasting from past and back to the present is seamless. I found the quilted layout and shifting perspectives presented refreshing. The Choice easily held my attention.

I would give this one 4/5 stars. The only way to improve to a five, I think, would have to do with pacing and the explanation of the villain. I wish the energy in the first half matched the second. The resolution was the only real firework in the last half but, to be fair, the ending was excellent. I’m fine with the motivation for the kidnapping and ransom, but the explanation of why the villain is the way they are seemed a little bit lazy and unsatisfying. It may have been better to omit those bits altogether and leave it to the readers imagination. I may have preferred to never read the villain’s POV at all.
Ohh I really enjoyed this book! It was the first book I've read by Alex Lake, but I've purchased the rest since as I really liked this one! It kept me guessing until the very end, gripped me from the start, left me biting my nails in anticipation, kept me nervous and left me wanting more. Would definitely recommend!
I love Alex Lake!!  As always a fast paced ride.  The story centers around Matt & Annabelle whose children are kidnapped.  The ransom- Matts wife.  Fraught with tension and unexpected turns this is an enjoyable thriller!
I did enjoy this.  I apologise as i forgot to review it nearer the time and would struggle to write a proper review later down the line.  Note to self.  Review books after reading!
Matt and Anabelle's three kids get kidnapped. Soon a ransom is demanded. But it is not money. The kidnapper wants something else...
The choice Matt and his wife face is unthinkable. And they don't have long to make a decision.

The premise of this book gripped me instantly, and as I loved ''7 Days'' by this author, I was excited to read it.
It was an enjoyable book. The plot was gripping and intriguing.
However, I found that on the whole, this was a book below what you'd expect from a seasoned author like Alex Lake.
The dialogue was really unrealistic, and the short chapters were often ending very abruptly for the story to be continued by another narrator.
Also, the ''past'' chapters ended halfway through the book, which I think made for a chaotic read.
The twist was good, and I didn't see it coming, but from then on, the story went downhill, and the ending fell flat for me.
Overall, it was an enjoyable and quick read. It didn't deliver on its promise, but it kept me gripped, so I give it 3 stars.
Matt Westbrook is driving home with his three children in the car, he decides to stop at a shop as his wife Annabelle needs some groceries. He quickly leaves the children in the car, as he will only be gone a minute. Unbeknown to him someone is watching and when he leaves the shop his car and the children have disappeared!!!

The kidnapper texts him with an ultimatum, he can have his children back if his wife takes their place. Why did he not take his wife if that’s who he was after?  No that would be too simple, and this book has a more complex and twisting plot than that!!

This story is told through the present day and back in the past when Annabelle and Matt were at university.

I loved the fast pace of this book and at times my heart was going like the clappers as the kidnapper was identified.

Another great book from this author. I will be looking forward to her next one.

Thank you to Netgalley for my copy in exchange for a review.
Ok, so someone kidnaps your kids and the kidnapper then contacts you to let you know what the ransom is. They then tell you that the ransom isn't money or jewels or anything like that, what they actually want is your partner/Husband/Wife! You have to make the choice whether to sacrifice their life for your kids! Now, if your other half is anything like mine than I know exactly what you're thinking, the kidnapper wouldn't have even had the chance to finish their sentence before you shout "You can have the ransom"! Ha ha...
And this is the situation that Matt finds himself in when his kids are taken and the kidnapper wants to swap them for his wife Annabelle. The book isn't really about this choice as I'm pretty sure most, if not all, parents would definitely put their children's lives before their own. No, the book is about WHY they were given that choice. What led to the kidnapping, why does the kidnapper want Annabelle, and what are they going to do with her?
The book starts with a bang, right at the point of the kidnapping and just grabbed my attention right from the start. We get to go back and learn about Matt and Annabelle's lives before they met, when they met and how their lives have gone over the years. What I loved about this book is that we are gradually introduced to several potential suspects and given reasons why they might want to hurt the couple, which really got my mind spinning trying to figure out who the kidnapper was.
I definitely enjoyed this book more than I thought I would and highly recommend it.
𝗧𝗵𝗲 𝗰𝗵𝗼𝗶𝗰𝗲 - 𝗔𝗹𝗲𝘅 𝗟𝗮𝗸𝗲

I started reading this when I couldn't sleep (again) last night & got sucked straight into it. 15% in I'd kinda worked out who the kidnapper was (hence is why 4 stars), but the story was still compelling & there were things I needed to know, so had to keep reading! This was fast paced, action packed, full of thrill & unexpected twists along the way.

Many thanks to Netgalley for my ARC in return for my honest review

𝗜 𝗴𝗮𝘃𝗲 𝘁𝗵𝗶𝘀 𝗯𝗼𝗼𝗸 𝗮 4 ⭐ 𝗿𝗮𝘁𝗶𝗻𝗴
A kidnap…
Matt Westbrook only turned his back for a moment. But when he looks around, his car – with his three young children inside – has vanished.

A ransom…
Panicked, Matt assumes a car thief has got more than he bargained for, but then he starts to receive text messages: This is a kidnap. If you want to see your children again, you will exchange them for your wife.

A choice…
Matt and his wife Annabelle are horrified. They can’t involve the police, or their children will be killed. Which means they have to choose: Annabelle, or their children. Either option is unthinkable. But one is inevitable. And they have only hours to make their decision…

This book hooked me from the very first page.  I loved the short chapters in the book, told from different perspectives. I don’t know why, but I just find books so much easier to get into when they have shorter chapters.

The book takes us on a real journey and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

I must admit that when I found out who the kidnapper was, I was slightly disappointed as it seemed so obvious, but it did not spoil the book.

This book is highly recommended for anyone who loves a thriller.
I loved a lot about this book especially Matt and Annabelle and how their characters remained consistent throughout  and not changing to suit the plot. The story starts with a bang and ends in an exciting few scenes but once we find out who the kidnapper is it seemed to fall a bit flat for a while. I can’t say much mor3 or I would be revealing the plot and I did still really enjoy it. It’s a fairly quick read and every time I put it down I was wanting to get back to it so that’s a big plus.
Not my first Alex Lake and definitely not my last.
What a choice!
Your children have been kidnapped and the ransom is your wife.
Not as straight forward as I thought it would be and it kept me guessing up until the reveal. The story passes between the past and the present and I actually enjoyed both parts.
Quick and easy read.
Fantastic book, fast paced I was gripped from the start. I loved the back story and the way it keeps you guessing, I did suspect the kidnapper and was pleased I was right. A thoroughly enjoyable read, well recommended 5*****
Wow what a read! Compelling, gripping, fast paced and although I knew who the kidnapper was about 150 pages in, this didn't matter because the how, what, where, when and why still needed to be explored! Really enjoyed this and will definitely look out for more books by Alex Lake.
Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers and the author for the privilege to read this book for my honest opinion
Matt needs a quick pit stop at a local shop for some supplies, he’s not in there for more than a few mins, he leaves his three children in the car, but they will be safe right? No need to worry... until he returns and finds the car and his children gone. A highly suspenseful story which follows the ups, downs, love, loss, panic, anxiety and literally everything in between.
This was such a great read, enjoyed it thoroughly, i was hooked from the first page, great storyline and loads of twists and turns , highly recommend this book x
The premise of this book is really good, so exciting. That moment Matt walked out of the shop to find his car and children gone was gripping. But it kinda fell flat from there. I just felt we didn't get enough internal emotion from the characters. They are going through hell! Turmoil! And yet the conversation felt like writing, it didn't feel authentic, and so I couldn't sympathise with them enough. Sorry! I do appreciate the chance to read the book.
Could you do it? I’d happily hand over my husband personally (especially if he was as dumb as these characters).

The plot annoyed me, if these were logical, sensible characters then they’d be no book. Call the police and get your kids back....but no these characters know better.

The coronavirus parts were unneeded. It took me straight out of the story and adds absolutely nothing.

Honestly I have nothing nice to say about this book, I hated it. It tries to be clever but uses lazy and uncreative writing. It falls flat and I can’t think of a single person I’d recommend to read The Captive!

Hated it. 1 star.