Cover Image: Keeping Mum

Keeping Mum

Danny Malooley is still reeling from his wife, Liz’s, death 14 months ago,  but he’s also having to deal with his son, Will, who hasn’t spoken since the accident. Danny isn’t coping well, finding himself getting further into debt with his landlord, having no one to share his grief with, and then losing his job. He pretends to Will that everything is still going smoothly, but finds getting another job impossible. In despair he goes into a fancy dress shop, comes out not with a job but a £5, smelly panda costume. Having seen street entertainers in the park making money, he decides to give it a go himself. Despite having no sense of rhythm he becomes a dancing panda. Things become more complicated when Will comes into the park, being taunted by some older boys. Danny, in costume, rescues him. Will starts speaking to him, but Danny daren't let him know who is inside the suit.

This is a bitter sweet story, moments of despair, grief and laughter. Nicely written, although I found it a bit slow going at first, I was racing through it towards the end, as I really wanted to know what happens. The interactions with some of the other characters, like Krystal and Ivan, were really interesting, if a bit cliched, but made me laugh out loud at parts. A nice read which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Thanks to netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in return for an honest review