Cover Image: Space Hopper

Space Hopper

When she is just eight years old, Faye loses her mother. Taken in by kind neighbours, she forges a happy life, albeit one that has a sadness at its heart.

She has a good job, a lovely, supportive husband, two daughters, lots of friends, but nothing quite fills that hole.

When she finds an old space hopper box in the loft, it paves the way for her to return to her past, and to be with her mum, but as is usually the case with time travel, interfering with the past isn’t always a wise thing to do, and the consequences can be much more far reaching than you expect.

I did enjoy this. For a debut novel it’s very well-written, confident, well-paced, and absorbing in places, and the details of Faye’s past were so well done, really authentic.

That said, there were a few places where things dragged a little, and some of the time travel aspects didn’t really work for me. And I’m not sure I completely believed in the ending.

But certainly a good read, and I’d definitely read more by this author.
This was a really unique and magical story, that had me fully invested from start to finish. Time travel can be a hard premise to conquer and Helen Fisher did a fantastic job at it.
REVIEWED BY LINDA HILL

Space Hopper was absolutely not what I was expecting. I had anticipated a light rom-com style read, but instead found an intriguing and surprisingly contemplative and philosophical narrative that made me think even as it entertained me.

It’s tricky to categorise Space Hopper as it has elements of fantasy and the magical, as well as time travel and the psychological so that it appeals to a wide range of readers. There’s a surreal quality to the plot and certainly the reader has to suspend disbelief for it to work – but work it does. What Helen Fisher manages so well is to examine the “what ifs” of life, causing the reader to reflect on elements of their own past that they wish they could go back and alter or relive. Space Hopper is one of those books that has impact long after you’ve finished reading it.

Emotional and compelling
Although there are some intricate twists and turns, the plot is not particularly fast paced, but that it the whole point of Space Hopper. Through Faye’s storytelling it’s a poignant look at the day to day existence of us all, of our loves and our losses and how we weave our memories into the fabric of who we become. I found it both emotional and convincing. That said, there are some very dramatic aspects too!

The immediacy of Faye’s first person voice captivates the reader and draws them into the story from the very first page. The direct appeals and comments Faye makes to the reader makes them feel as if they are equally as much part of the story as Faye and the other characters. I confess I didn’t much like Faye, but my goodness she held me captivated. She is so brilliantly named, with Faye having echoes of faith and deriving from the fairy or faie world, that I found her totally fascinating and cared about her. Her reflections on faith, belief, family connection, fate, belonging, trust and betrayal make her three dimensional and compelling. Indeed, the intimate portrait of the relationship between Faye and her mother or, perhaps, Faye’s perception of her mother, causes the reader to reflect on their own parental relationships with real impact. Similarly, there’s a moving portrait of a marriage as Faye and Eddie’s lives are revealed.

Space Hopper is certainly entertaining, but more, it’s intriguing, unusual and mystical, contemplating who we really are. I keep thinking about it.
This book started off a bit slow for me, but once I got into it, became really invested in it.

I enjoyed the fact that the story is told from the first person perspective… it really made me feel like part of the story.

I loved how the colours and sights and smells of the seventies were described. The relationships that were formed seemed pure and real and it was endearing.

This was an enjoyable read with a lovely ending.
Fascinating - and really odd. Time travel with family drama, and an unexpected ending.
I really liked a lot of the writing; I’m not entirely sold on the subject.
This was a brilliant read and is being featured on my blog for my quick star reviews feature, which I have created on my blog so I can catch up with all the books I have read and therefore review.
See www.chellsandbooks.wordpress.com.
Space Hopper is a heartwarming, delightful and engaging novel that I read in a matter of hours. Time travel books are kinda my thing, and the way this one was written made it quite compelling.
The protagonist Faye finds a portal to her past in an old childhood cardboard box, where she gets to meet her mother whom she had lost as a kid. She had always felt the loss keenly, and the disappearance of her mother was a bit of a grey area of her life. What follows is the journey of Faye meandering the multiple challenges of time travel and trying to untangle the mystery of disappearance of her mother.
The plot as well as the prose is fairly simple, and it was probably this simplicity that kept me hooked. The protagonist is a very relatable personality. She struggles with the choices she is making, the risks she is undertaking for just some time with her mother. And this is when she does not even understand the scope of what she is getting into. The differing opinions of Faye's husband, who is training to be a vicar, and Faye, who is a non-believer, is also quite interesting to read. The ending was quite unexpected, but in a good way. Overall, it was a feel-good read with a flavour of time travel.
A DNF at 33% for me sadly, I had such high hopes for this one.

I found it really slow & I didn't want to pick it up again ...maybe I'm missing out on a fabulous ending but I'd like my reads to be entertaining all the way through.
About the book:

Faye has two daughters and a loving husband. Her life seems perfect from the outside, but she's still unable to live her life to the fullest. There's a looming feeling of grief always holding her back. Faye constantly feels the loss of her mother, who passed away years ago. Even more so as she now watches her girls growing up. But then something inexplicable happens that allows her to communicate with her mother again and ask her questions she always wanted. Faye is going to work harder than ever to hold on to her mother and still live in the present.

My thoughts:

What a charming book! I loved that this book deals with so many themes (love, loss, family) in such an interesting way.
I’ve been visiting my mother who died when I was eight.
And I’m talking about flesh and blood, tea-and-biscuits-on-the-table visiting here.
Right now, you probably think I’m going mad.
Let me explain…
A lovely debut novel (hard to believe!) that’s well written and really pulls you into the story. I like the idea of the subject matter but the reality of ready it was so much better, it pulled me in and I just had to keep reading to see what happened – I was surprised at the ending.
A great heart warming read, definitely recommended!
Thanks for NetGalley and the publisher for a chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review.
#JumpWithMe #NetGalley
This was a book i could have read over and over my friend has read this too and she also liked it the thought of time travelling to see your mother brilliant. I dont want to give anything away but 5/5 Thank you Netgalley
Thank you to Netgalley, the publishers and the author for an ARC of this book!

Hmm... I was definitely intrigued by the premise of this novel. Time travel is one of my favourite genres, so I was simultaneously interested and skeptical when picking up this book. For some strange reason, the main character (Faye) stepping into the box that transports her to her youth kinda reminded me of 13 Going on 30?? Idk if it was just me, but I loved the simplicity of the time travel! I was a little disappointed by the ending after all the amazing bits that happened in the middle, and I enjoyed how Faye's actions in the past would have domino effects on her future. If you're a fan of Back to the Future, I def recommend this!!
I really really enjoyed this book and have a feeling it will be one of my top 5 or 10 for 2021. The story is implausible but also incredibly lovely. I want to believe it could be possible. Recommended.
This book was not too far outside my preferred genre and the plot intrigued me.

I felt that the premise of this novel was really interesting and I’ve never read or heard about a time travel novel similar to this one. I felt that all the supporting characters were well written and interesting, and since this novel is written in the first person that does make sense.

However the main character, Faye, was not written as well as she could have been. It started out well but by the end of the novel she had no growth, and was still the same character from the start of the novel. I really feel that the events of the story would have shaped her even slightly. But as the novel draws to a close and she’s more invested in seeing her own mother than the fact that she might be repeating history for her daughters, I realised I disliked her. I didn’t find myself rooting for her, and was actually wishing that Eddie would file for divorce.

I think overall, the plot was handled well. There could have been major plot holes with a time travel novel, but the explanation Eddie gives for believing Faye is rather clever. And discovering that her mum had disappeared all those years ago because she had time travelled to the future was a plot twist I didn’t see coming.

When reading the book description I had expected Faye to travel back in time more than just the three times she did. It felt like a lot of the novel was rushed, there was a real sense of urgency towards the end. I understand she was desperate to see her mum again in case she had died already, but if she was that desperate I didn’t see the need for all the waiting around.

I enjoyed the novel, it was an easy read and the plot was interesting, but I don’t think I would read it again.
This novel follows Faye who is happily married with children but she still misses her mum who died when she was 8. One day she finds her old Space Hopper box in the attic and it transports her back to the 70s in the year or so before her mother died! There is so much I loved about this novel. I really connected with how much Faye was desperate to travel back to her mother as she missed her so much. I think anyone who has lost their parent would find it hard to resist having one more day with them, even when you realise you might sacrifice things in the present. I loved seeing Faye connect with her mum and getting to know her as an adult. It’s a novel where the time travel element doesn’t really make sense, even within the story, so I definitely had to suspend my disbelief but I was so invested in Faye and her desire to have more time with her mum that I was happy to do that. This novel was so soothing to me in the week when it should have been my mum’s 70th birthday and I’m so glad that I picked it up when I did. I recommend it.
‘Space Hopper’ is Helen Fisher’s debut novel.

Although Faye is happy with her life, the loss of her mother as a child weighs on her mind even more now that she is a mother herself. So she is amazed when, in an extraordinary turn of events, she finds herself back in her childhood home in the 1970s. Faced with the chance to finally seek answers to her questions – but away from her own family – how much is she willing to give up for another moment with her mother?

Helen’s debut novel is a beautifully written story about about new beginnings and second chances.

When Fay discovers an old box of memories in the attic which results in a strange accident, she finds herself reliving her life and getting to see her mother who died when she was only 8.

This book is a beautiful story that really strikes a chord with the reader. Fay is a wonderful character, she’s kind with a huge heart but misses her mother greatly and relishes on the opportunity to relive her life and spend some more time with her. The story is a tender box and the main character being the the Space Hopper box that has travelled with her through the years filled with memories and photographs of happy times.

Beautifully written and heartfelt with poignancy and tender moments throughout, ‘Space Hopper’ is a bittersweet story about grief, love and made for genuinely uplifting reading.

You can buy ‘Space Hopper’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops.
Time travel and the coolest pair of roller skates ... that was all the click-bait premise I needed to make this book mine.

It wasn't the time travel book I wanted, but it was ok. Nothing spectacular and definitely more chick-lit than scifi, but an ok, quick and easy rainy day read. After all, who hasn't daydreamed of travelling back in time to relish more time with lost loved ones, fix a regret, take back words said in anger, make someone's last moments more meaningful, or a second chance. The chatty first person narrative might be grating at times, but it is a perfect fit for the story. I preferred to think of it as the character mentally working her way through her moral dilemma instead of trying to justify her selfish and dangerous obsession.

But seriously, if any of my friends ever try to be annoying do-gooders and lecture me on the perils of time travel, I'm going to kick you in the balls with my super cool roller skates and steal your dog. It will be Ripley and Doggo's adventures through time forever more. You've been warned.

Recommended for fans of The Time Traveler's Wife, Replay.

Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the ARC.
Faye, an ordinary woman with a family, a fulfilling job and loving friends, is an unexpected time traveller. An old space hopper, a box from her childhood that has survived many moves, now tucked away in the attic can take her back in time. Leaving behind her life, and finally finding a way to deal with her lifelong grief of her mother disappearing, she travels back in time to when she was 6 years old to see her mother. Is there a way she can save her mother? Faye doesn’t know but she will try and this is where I was pulled into the story with the biggest ‘what if’ if time travel was possible.

I was really interested in reading Space Hopper as I haven’t really read many time travel novels where the protagonist is female and it was refreshing. Yet there were times where I found the plot dragged with unnecessary sub plots (especially around her husband’s decisions to become a vicar) and made the pace uneven.

For me the strongest part of this novel are the themes as the author explores these and pushes her characters. Themes of grief, mother/daughter relationships, acceptance and love are really strong through Space Hopper and kept me reading.

Thank you to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for the ebook review copy.
Absolutely loved this book, I was drawn in by the title and blurb straight off the bat and instantly hooked.
I really liked the sections that were written about the past and all the nods to the 70s and 80s.
I wasn't sure how I felt about Faye, but I loved how her mother and husband were written.
I laughed, cried and cheered my way through this lovely book and all the feels.
My only minor criticism is I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I didn't want it to end.
Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my eARC in return for my honest review.
A time-travel novel with a difference, dwelling more on the more philosophical questions arising from it as well as the usual more sci-fi tinged ones about changing history, such as: is the belief in something like time travel the same as believing in God? (The MC's husband is training to be a vicar.) For this is primarily a story about belief (though not necessarily in God) wrapped up in a moving story of the universal desire to know one's parent(s) and recover what we have lost.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for review.