Cover Image: Space Hopper

Space Hopper

This book was not too far outside my preferred genre and the plot intrigued me.

I felt that the premise of this novel was really interesting and I’ve never read or heard about a time travel novel similar to this one. I felt that all the supporting characters were well written and interesting, and since this novel is written in the first person that does make sense.

However the main character, Faye, was not written as well as she could have been. It started out well but by the end of the novel she had no growth, and was still the same character from the start of the novel. I really feel that the events of the story would have shaped her even slightly. But as the novel draws to a close and she’s more invested in seeing her own mother than the fact that she might be repeating history for her daughters, I realised I disliked her. I didn’t find myself rooting for her, and was actually wishing that Eddie would file for divorce.

I think overall, the plot was handled well. There could have been major plot holes with a time travel novel, but the explanation Eddie gives for believing Faye is rather clever. And discovering that her mum had disappeared all those years ago because she had time travelled to the future was a plot twist I didn’t see coming.

When reading the book description I had expected Faye to travel back in time more than just the three times she did. It felt like a lot of the novel was rushed, there was a real sense of urgency towards the end. I understand she was desperate to see her mum again in case she had died already, but if she was that desperate I didn’t see the need for all the waiting around.

I enjoyed the novel, it was an easy read and the plot was interesting, but I don’t think I would read it again.
This novel follows Faye who is happily married with children but she still misses her mum who died when she was 8. One day she finds her old Space Hopper box in the attic and it transports her back to the 70s in the year or so before her mother died! There is so much I loved about this novel. I really connected with how much Faye was desperate to travel back to her mother as she missed her so much. I think anyone who has lost their parent would find it hard to resist having one more day with them, even when you realise you might sacrifice things in the present. I loved seeing Faye connect with her mum and getting to know her as an adult. It’s a novel where the time travel element doesn’t really make sense, even within the story, so I definitely had to suspend my disbelief but I was so invested in Faye and her desire to have more time with her mum that I was happy to do that. This novel was so soothing to me in the week when it should have been my mum’s 70th birthday and I’m so glad that I picked it up when I did. I recommend it.
‘Space Hopper’ is Helen Fisher’s debut novel.

Although Faye is happy with her life, the loss of her mother as a child weighs on her mind even more now that she is a mother herself. So she is amazed when, in an extraordinary turn of events, she finds herself back in her childhood home in the 1970s. Faced with the chance to finally seek answers to her questions – but away from her own family – how much is she willing to give up for another moment with her mother?

Helen’s debut novel is a beautifully written story about about new beginnings and second chances.

When Fay discovers an old box of memories in the attic which results in a strange accident, she finds herself reliving her life and getting to see her mother who died when she was only 8.

This book is a beautiful story that really strikes a chord with the reader. Fay is a wonderful character, she’s kind with a huge heart but misses her mother greatly and relishes on the opportunity to relive her life and spend some more time with her. The story is a tender box and the main character being the the Space Hopper box that has travelled with her through the years filled with memories and photographs of happy times.

Beautifully written and heartfelt with poignancy and tender moments throughout, ‘Space Hopper’ is a bittersweet story about grief, love and made for genuinely uplifting reading.

You can buy ‘Space Hopper’ from Amazon and is available to buy from good bookshops.
Time travel and the coolest pair of roller skates ... that was all the click-bait premise I needed to make this book mine.

It wasn't the time travel book I wanted, but it was ok. Nothing spectacular and definitely more chick-lit than scifi, but an ok, quick and easy rainy day read. After all, who hasn't daydreamed of travelling back in time to relish more time with lost loved ones, fix a regret, take back words said in anger, make someone's last moments more meaningful, or a second chance. The chatty first person narrative might be grating at times, but it is a perfect fit for the story. I preferred to think of it as the character mentally working her way through her moral dilemma instead of trying to justify her selfish and dangerous obsession.

But seriously, if any of my friends ever try to be annoying do-gooders and lecture me on the perils of time travel, I'm going to kick you in the balls with my super cool roller skates and steal your dog. It will be Ripley and Doggo's adventures through time forever more. You've been warned.

Recommended for fans of The Time Traveler's Wife, Replay.

Thank you to Netgalley and Simon and Schuster UK for the ARC.
Faye, an ordinary woman with a family, a fulfilling job and loving friends, is an unexpected time traveller. An old space hopper, a box from her childhood that has survived many moves, now tucked away in the attic can take her back in time. Leaving behind her life, and finally finding a way to deal with her lifelong grief of her mother disappearing, she travels back in time to when she was 6 years old to see her mother. Is there a way she can save her mother? Faye doesn’t know but she will try and this is where I was pulled into the story with the biggest ‘what if’ if time travel was possible.

I was really interested in reading Space Hopper as I haven’t really read many time travel novels where the protagonist is female and it was refreshing. Yet there were times where I found the plot dragged with unnecessary sub plots (especially around her husband’s decisions to become a vicar) and made the pace uneven.

For me the strongest part of this novel are the themes as the author explores these and pushes her characters. Themes of grief, mother/daughter relationships, acceptance and love are really strong through Space Hopper and kept me reading.

Thank you to Netgalley and Simon & Schuster for the ebook review copy.
Absolutely loved this book, I was drawn in by the title and blurb straight off the bat and instantly hooked.
I really liked the sections that were written about the past and all the nods to the 70s and 80s.
I wasn't sure how I felt about Faye, but I loved how her mother and husband were written.
I laughed, cried and cheered my way through this lovely book and all the feels.
My only minor criticism is I felt the ending was a bit rushed, but I didn't want it to end.
Thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for my eARC in return for my honest review.
A time-travel novel with a difference, dwelling more on the more philosophical questions arising from it as well as the usual more sci-fi tinged ones about changing history, such as: is the belief in something like time travel the same as believing in God? (The MC's husband is training to be a vicar.) For this is primarily a story about belief (though not necessarily in God) wrapped up in a moving story of the universal desire to know one's parent(s) and recover what we have lost.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for review.
It took me a really long time to get through this book. It is quite slow paced and in my opinion not much happens for most of the story. That being said, I did enjoy it. It is written solely from the perspective of the main character who often speaks to the reader directly. This makes you feel like you are going on the journey with her and for me, it increased my interest in the story.

It is not your typical time travelling story and it challenges everything you have ever read about time travel. The concept was definitely interesting and I did really enjoy the ending, it was a real *gasp* moment. For most of the book the main character she struggles with the dilemma of returning to visit her mother in the past but worries about how this might impact her future with her family. Overall a slow burning, enjoyable book with a good ending.
✨4⭐️ BOOK REVIEW✨
Space Hopper
Helen Fisher
Simon & Schuster UK

If you could, would you change history. Your past? What are the consequences of tampering with the world’s timeline?

I’m not really into time travel (I loved Outlander mind), however this piqued my interest and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a lovely story about memories, moments that shape your life and in particular, mothers.

You know what, if I could, I’d do anything to meet my mom again. I still miss her terribly, often think she’d love this and that.

Faye travels back in time, and visits her mother who died when she was just 8 years old, going back to her childhood home in the 1970s as an adult and meets her younger mother and 6 year old self.

You may be thinking, REALLY? However this is a heartfelt, thought provoking read, compelling and poignant with philosophical moments. I found the writing style and content interesting and captivating, it moved me and made me think, what if? It’s an exploration of family and faith and Fisher’s style shares with you their conversations, it’s quite an emotional journey. Her relationships with her mother, Eddie, children and Louis are all explored.

Faye is happily married to Eddie, who is training to be a clergyman, with two daughters, Evie and Esther. Faye’s not quite sure about being a vicar’s wife as she is an atheist, but going with the flow. Losing her mother when she was so young, has left her with unanswered questions. Her mature foster parents, Em and Henry who were neighbours at the time, didn’t really share much about her past and how her mother died, which left her longing for answers.

She travelled back by accident, unexpectedly, and when she travels backwards and forwards, she does get physically hurt, so it’s quite a dangerous experience.

Funny, I formed a deep connection to the story when Fisher introduced roller skating to the plot, I had my own roller skates and loved skating back when I was a teenager.

The characters were well developed and Louis, her blind friend was exceptional. The way Fisher involves Louis in the plot is really clever, another dimension.

Excerpt:

“Before I did anything, I needed another glimpse of my mother; I was emotionally thirsty and she was my glass of water. Then I needed to get out of here without being seen.”

I don’t want to give too much away about the plot, which is quite different and as always there’s a twist at the end, very clever. It’s worth the time to read. I’m so grateful Fisher didn’t give up trying to get this published.

A very enjoyable 4🌟

Thank you @simonandschuster @netgalley and @helenfisher_author for this ARC provided in exchange for my unbiased review.
I am not a fan of time travel stories. I should say this from the start. I love Back to the Future but even that makes my head melt with time/space continuum issues and once I start thinking about it my head gets sore. You are probably wondering why I chose to read a book called Space Hopper which is about time travel and I can only say this: I like roller skates and they were on the cover.
However, once I started reading the story I actually found myself enjoying it. I think the reason for this is that besides the science fiction element the story has an awful lot of heart. Faye's desire to spend time with her mum is palpable. Her yearning for a relationship with her aches off the page and the reader connects with this element.
Yes, if you look at Space Hopper from a realistic perspective you are left with some questions such as the butterfly effect but Fisher navigates this well. If you are going to read Space Hopper it is best to suspend your disbelief and read the story as a heartwarming tale of mother and daughter.
Space Hopper by Helen Fisher is available now.
For more information regarding Helen Fisher (@HFisherAuthor) please visit her Twitter page.
For more information regarding Simon and Schuster (@SimonsSchusterUK) please visit www.simonandschuster.co.uk.
Space Hopper by Helen Fisher is her debut book and let me just say, she knocked it out of the park with this one. I love when books can make us think, feel, and at the same get invested in the character’s life, so much so that we are cheering them on from the sidelines. This book is no different in that regard. A wonderful and emotional read that will grip you from the very first line and will not leave you adrift. If you love stories of time travel and magical realism, this one is for you.

The story is about Faye a 36-year-old woman who has been living her life happily with her wonderful husband and her two daughters. Despite leading a happy life, she feels dissatisfaction and a hollowness in her life from the loss of her mother at a very young age. As an orphan at a young age, Faye was taken in by her sweet old neighbors. She was taken good care of by the couple and later on they adopt her and raise her as their own. Faye was happy and did lead a good life, but the loss of her mother threatens her security. Accidently she finds herself traveling back in time and meeting her mom. This is equally unbelievable and yet with her yearning to learn more and spend more time with her she decides to continue her travel back in time losing her foothold in the present. Will she be able to make up for the lost time? Is she going to get closure from her mother?

Overall, I loved this book. It’s definitely made into my favorites. This was a much-needed bundle of goodness to lift my spirits up. It is a feel-good story that is heart-warming and poignant. I know that magical realism is not for everyone, but I think this one makes it so easy and the simplicity of the storytelling draws you in. By now, I am sure you guys might have already guessed my rating of the book, with all the incessant raving about the book. Yep. I gave it 5 stars. I highly recommend checking it out and my advice is don’t miss out on this bundle of joy. It was a lovely experience and I loved every second of it. If you love time traveling and magical realism, do pick this book up. It is amazing!!
After reading the sampler for Space Hopper I was looking forward to reading this novel with a time travel plot that covers grief, loss and childhood memories. I loved the 70s nostalgia and this is a moving story but ultimately I found it hard to connect with the main character and the time travel plot, so it was a disappointing read for me. I'd still recommend a read if this is a genre you are drawn to.
Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital ARC
"They say those we love never truly leave us, and I’ve found that to be true. But not in the way you might expect. In fact, none of this is what you’d expect."

Faye never really got over the death of her mother when she was young. So when one day she accidentally finds herself back in the 70s, in her childhood home, she can't believe she finally has the chance to ask her mother all of the questions she wanted to ask.

Space Hopper is a unique and nostalgic debut novel about the grief that never leaves you, especially after the unexpected death of a loved one - when you can't stop thinking about the questions you wished you'd asked or what you'd do to spend another day with them again.

Despite concerns she may drastically change her future by her actions, she can't stop herself travelling back to visit - to the point where its unclear how much she will give up to see her mother again.

I secretly love books with a bit of sci-fi in and this is a very engaging and well devised time travel story. It's everything I like in books - historical fiction, sci-fi and mother/daughter relationships. I also enjoy that Space Hopper is a play on words cos she's literally hopping through space (and time), lol. Anyway, I loved this book - a 5⭐ read for me!
I’m pleased to say that this is another stunning debut novel that I’m reviewing on my book blog today. I first heard about Space Hopper last year, and the title both intrigued and delighted me as a child of the 1970’s.

Having read the opening chapters, I decided to pick a time to finish the book without interruption (not easy in lockdown part 3 in a house with two teenagers, one husband and two dogs. However the rugby six nations came to my rescue and I was able to curl up and engross myself in the story.

I’m on the last day of the blog tour, and hopefully you may have read some of the reviews by my fellow book bloggers and bookstagrammers (see above poster for more information), but I still don’t want to leave any spoilers. However as the synopsis gives some clues, what would you do if you suddenly found yourself back in time and could meet a missing loved one? Especially when you’ve lost most of your clothes during the journey? And would you keep going back and risk getting stuck there, leaving your own children without a mother?

I loved this original story, both as an avid reader and also a closet Sci-fi fan (I love watching Doctor Who). The idea of travelling back in time has interested people for hundreds of years and I enjoyed the way the idea was used here. I also loved the fact that one of Helen’s main characters is blind, just as my cousin was.

A delightful debut novel, featuring the bond between mothers and daughters. I look forward to reading more by Helen Fisher in the future.
Space Hopper is a tale of grief, memories and love that is brought together through time travel it so beautiful to read I just loved this book  so easy to read story just grip me
This is one hell of a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I absolutely loved it and was bereft when it ended. If you only read one book this year, make it this one.  The characters are so well described that you feel you’re reading about your friends.  I loved the concept of time travel and particularly appreciated the space hopper play on words but also a very much loved toy for us growing up in the 70s. A very well deserved 5 stars
Can I just say, I LOVED this book? I gobbled it up over the space of three days, and just felt myself *exhale* when I finished. I’ve included the synopsis in the next slide but as a brief summary: Faye’s mother died when Faye was only eight or so. In the present at age 36, Faye has been visiting her mother through the medium of time travel. The novel sees Faye grappling with whether to stay in the past forever and seeking the answers to questions she’s always had.

Though this book includes time travel, it’s not a science-fiction book in the slightest. It’s more fiction about family relationships, and particularly explores faith. Whether that’s Faye’s faith in time travel and her mother, her husband Eddie’s faith in God as he trains to be a vicar (interestingly, Faye is a non-believer), and Louis’ faith in hwo the world is being presented to him as a blind person.

This story is utterly compelling and I loved all the small retro references to similar stories such as the 70s space hopper box being the time travel portal and Faye being adopted by an Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. Perhaps my only quam would be the occasionally narration Faye has, addressing the reader specifically as it kind of takes you out of the story and doesn’t really have a reason as to why it’s there.

Overall I highly recommend this! It’s compelling, witty and is a great exploration of how great a pull a mother has with her child.
At the beginning of this book I really wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it - a magic time travelling cardboard box?! BUT - by the end I was in love!! Such a blast of nostalgia for an 80's kid as well, it brought back so many memories from my own childhood.

Faye has never got over the death of her mother when she was a child and yearns for answers that no one has ever been able to provide. Happily married with two daughters of her own she often thinks about what her mother would be like and indeed if it would change how she behaved if she had known her longer. She is given the opportunity to get to know her mum when she (through the medium of a Space Hopper cardboard box) travels back to 1977. Without revealing who she is she soon becomes firm friends with her mum and younger self. Now it would be easy to start asking to many confusing questions here and have an existential crisis but don't - just go with it.

Truly one of the most touching, beautiful books I have ever read and it will stay on my mind for a long time.
I'm so pleased that this book caught my eye and I was delighted to be given the opportunity to read an advanced review copy.

This début is a truly marvellous story. Eddie and Faye are happily married and they have two much-adored daughters, Esther and Evie. Eddie is training to be part of the clergy, and whilst Faye doesn’t share his belief in God their relationship is built on love, honesty, trust, respect and support. Though everything Faye's life is grand, at just eight years old when her mum, Jeanie died, she still feels her loss keenly. When Faye discovers a photograph hidden amongst the pages of her mother’s cookery book that was taken one Christmas of Faye sitting inside an empty space hopper box, Faye senses her mother's presence even though Jeanie isn't pictured. The space hopper box is in her attic and becomes Faye’s portal back to the 1970s, a journey into the past that may threaten to interfere with her life in the present day. Keeping her secret under wraps from Eddie is a risk Faye is willing to take if it means she can see her beloved mum again and again.

As soon as I began reading Space Hopper I knew it was going to pull at my heartstrings. Told from Faye's viewpoint there wasn't anything in this novel to dislike. As the story progressed I came to care for both Faye and her thoughtful husband Eddie. Whilst they were both great people, I thought Faye could have been more open with Eddie sooner than she was. There was something extra special about the considerate, perceptive Eddie with his loyalty and genial demeanour.

Helen Fisher's writing was truly magical in the way she portrayed all manner of moods and emotional states. I became rather smitten with all of the characters and wanted nothing but better things for them. The secondary characters brought so much to the storyline, too, particularly Faye's hilarious, grounded, rational, blind co-worker and friend, Louis. His blindness added an extra dimension to the story and the author's portrayal of him was first-class.

Space Hopper is rich in emotion, a truly outstanding début, and I cannot wait to see what Helen Fisher writes next. A fabulously untypical, whimsical and warm, contemporary tale that will melt hearts.

A special thank you to Simon & Schuster UK, Helen Fisher, NetGalley and Pigeonhole for a complimentary copy of this novel at my request. This review is my unbiased opinion.
What would you do if you could travel back in time?
My first thing would be to say to my mum to go to the doctor before it’s too late…
This is the story of Faye, she has a happy life but she can’t forget her mother who died when she was young, so, when one day she feels transported to her childhood in the 1970s, when her mother is still alive and she can be with her again.
But this is not a book about reencounters but choices; how much time is she willing to spend in the past instead of the present with her family? Will the choices she makes in the past affect in the present? Faye will tell the story in first person, so we’ll know her struggles from the beginning; how she hides her travels from her family and knows that what she is doing is not completely right but can’t stop doing it.
This is a story to enjoy, but at the same time to make us reflect on our decisions, the repercussions of our acts and how much we would sacrifice for five minutes more with the person we miss.
I have to say that this had been a very interesting read, having lost my mother a few years ago, it was easy to connect with Faye, the need to talk to her again, hug her or say that I love her. But as I said previously, the doubts of the consequences of the actions are there…
This is an emotional book, bitter sweet and introspective; you will like it or not, but believe me, it is worth the read!
Ready for the “Space Hopper”?