Cover Image: Daughters of Night

Daughters of Night

Caroline Corsham is in trouble. Her husband is abroad in France and she is pregnant with her lover’s child, although her lover is unwilling to face up to the responsibility. She meets Lucia, Italian countess her brother introduced her to some time ago, who figures out Caroline’s condition and offers to help. But, when Caroline goes to meet her in the garden at a society party, she finds Lucia murdered. The police quickly lose interest when it turns out that Lucia is not a countess, she is in fact a London prostitute. Despite her shock, Caroline decides she cannot let this mystery go unsolved and hires ex-magistrate turned thief taker Peregrine Child to help discover the murderer. In the process Caroline and Child become involved in a massive conspiracy to hide a scandal which could take down the British monarchy.

I didn’t realise until half-way through that this book is a Semi-sequel to the author’s first book Blood and Sugar. Caroline Corsham is the wife of the main character from the first book. He is referred to, but is absent abroad in this story. While the link will no doubt be obvious from the start of you’ve read the  previous book, it made no odds to me and the book works as a standalone.

This is historical crime fiction. Set in the reign of King George III it deals well with the challenges of being a woman in this time. The prostitutes have independence and Caroline’s wealth and family standing get her in to a lot of places, but ultimately the men are the ones with the power. Yet even these men are bound by their secrets and forced to do the bidding of the man who controls the purse strings and their lives.

Secret societies, domestic drama, scandal and  danger are all key parts of the plot. Unfortunately the most interesting and intriguing character is Lucy Loveless and the reader only gets to know her through the second hand accounts of other people. That’s a shame as I think she would have made a far more compelling main character and I’d have loved to have more insight into her actions and thinking.

Overall this is a good story, but I just felt at a distance from the action or threat of peril because I didn’t develop a sense of being invested in the outcomes for any of the characters. I suspect though that if you enjoyed Blood & Sugar this should be added to your TBR pile.

I’ll publish this review on my blog around two weeks before publication, and review on Amazon, Goodreads, Storygraph and Waterstones around the publication date. I’ll edit this page and add links to those reviews below once they are live.
Caroline Corsham is thrust into investigating the murder of a prostitute in early 1800s London. This is an exciting and at times violent read; we have prostitutes who are members of the Whores Club, soldiers and officers who served in the failed American wars. There are friends of the Prince Regent and members of a hell fire club. Putting all these things together we have a fast paced drama where women are just a commodity to be traded, used and even murdered. Caroline has her own problems but is brave enough to try and find the answers to who killed Lucy Loveless and Kitty Carefree. Bow street runners are new but trying to in s till law in London. The Home Office business traders and Jewish merchants all have their roles to play along with a gifted artist with a missing wife.
This story is exciting, well researched and beautifully written. I look forward to seeing more adventures with Caroline in the future.
This is a thoroughly enjoyable book! The characters are excellent, the plot twists and turns all over the place, and there are constant surprises in what feels like every chapter.

A really enjoyable read!

My thanks to Netgalley and Pan Macmillan for the advance copy
A follow-up of sorts to Blood & Sugar. Harry is on a diplomatic mission to France and his wife, Caro, becomes embroiled in the investigation of the murder of her friend Lucia. It soon becomes apparent that Lucia had a rather chequered background and that forces within the government seek to stymie the investigation.

Caro employs Peregrine Child, a thief catcher, to assist her and their enquiries lead them from the houses of the rich and noble into whorehouses and hovels of late 18th century London. As their investigation progresses, Caro and Peregrine face threats and violence. And Caro has other more personal problems to deal with too.

This novel lacks the power of the previous story but is entertaining enough. Both lead characters are strong enough to carry the story. The introduction of some chapters by a missing woman gives the reader information denied to the protagonists which adds another layer of enjoyment.

The plotting is tight and the outcome satisfactory and pleasing. There were a few lingers whilst reading unfortunately but these lessened as the story approached its climax.
Wowser, where do I even start with this book?? I hadn’t read Shepherd-Robinson’s debut novel, Blood and Sugar, but I’d heard great things – and I can see why! Daughters of Night is almost 600 pages of absolute brilliance! A totally immersive, twisty, Georgian crime novel, with an intricately-woven, intriguing plot, I was in awe at the author’s ability to keep me guessing and completely hooked for the duration.

It’s set in London in 1782, when Caroline Corsham stumbles upon a mortally wounded woman in Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens. When the police find out the woman was a prostitute they all but close the investigation. So Caro takes matters into her own hands and hires thief taker, Peregrine Child, to help her bring the culprit to justice. Needless to say, they uncover plenty of secrets and scandal, putting themselves in huge danger in the process. But will they ever find out what really happened?

Big books often intimidate me as my attention span can be poor and I often have difficulty when a novel has a large cast of characters. I have to say though that this book is written in such an engaging way that I had no trouble at all staying focused or knowing what was going on – I almost didn’t want it to end!

I found this particular historical setting fascinating and it’s clear what an enormous amount of research has gone into evoking such vivid imagery. I really want to start using some of the more “flowery” language; they had much cooler swears in Georgian times! 🤣

Daughters of Night is historical crime fiction at its best. I loved it. With thanks to the publisher for gifting me this eARC for review.
I started off really enjoying this book but somewhere along the line I got a little lost, perhaps if i had read Blood & Sugar, the authors previous novel I would have found it easier.
A well plotted story with good characterisation, plenty of intrigue and suspense to keep you turning the pages. It's very well written and engaging and introduces you to the seedier side of life in Georgian society.
Daughters of Night

I enjoyed this read and found I liked it a lot more than Blood and Sugar, the author’s first novel.
It’s an engaging mystery ‘who dunnit’ with great characters anda twisty plot. I particularly liked hearing more from Caro this time around.
Daughters of Night is a historical fiction meets murder mystery set in 1780s London. Our protagonist Caro is walking alone through the Vauxhall gardens at night when she comes across an injured woman, the woman's wounds prove to be fatal and Caroline realizes that she's knows the victim as Lady Lucia. When the police undercover that Lucia was actually called Lucy and a well know high-class prostitute they quickly loose interest in the case, Caro is left to try and find her own answers while trying to conceal the reason she was wondering in the dark unaccompanied a secret. To help she employees the services of Peregrine Child

My favourite thing about this book was simply that it kept me guessing, I had no clue who the murderer was until the reveal. Each time I thought I had a theory I'd be pulled in a different direction which has surely got to be what everyone's looking for in a murder mystery?

At just shy of 600 pages its not a quick or light read but the author paints such a picture of all the different parts of the world that I really didn't mind, the plot is quite complex and thickens with each twist and turn, with two timelines, perspectives and potentially two murders to get invested in.

This book is set in the same place/time as the author's previous novel Blood and Sugar where Caroline is a smaller character and her husband takes the lead; while reading I didn't feel like I missed out from not having read the other novel first however I've since listened to the audiobook of Blood and Sugar, which I also really enjoyed, and I would recommend reading this first just to get better acquainted with Caro and Mr Child.
Huge apologies for my late review. As publication was pushed back so I had to push it back on my TBR pile. In the end I chose to read it at Christmas as I always like to read something special over the festive period. It was totally worth the wait.

I loved Laura Shepherd-Robinson's debut Blood & Sugar and Daughters of Night is even better. Laura's depth of research comes across well and I felt completely submerged into Georgian London. Just thinking about it now, I feel myself pulled back into that world. But if you're expecting a Jane Austen Georgian view, then think again. Yes, we have the aristocracy and the wealthy but we also have the underbelly of London's streets. There are three main narrators - Caroline Corsham, wife of Harry Corsham from Blood & Sugar; Peregrine 'Perry' Child, former magistrate now turned thieftaker; and Pamela, a young maid who wants more out of life so decides to auction her virtue to the highest bidder. Definitely not Jane Austen!

When Caro discovers the body of a young woman, she's determined to find the murderer. Her husband is away so she hires Perry Child to help her. Sounds simple enough but when it's revealed that the young woman was a high-class whore and not the lady Caro thought she was, Caro and Perry find themselves plunged into a very sinister world.

There is so much going on in this novel and I genuinely couldn't work out who was responsible. Just when I thought I knew, there would be another twist. Even Caro has her own secrets to deal with. This book combines, art, Greek philosophy, the aristocracy, war heroes, whores, taverns and banks! And that's just what I remember!

Caro is a wonderful character. Forget the simpering, modest Georgian wife as Caroline Corsham has a mind of her own and is not afraid to use it. I think I actually prefer her to Harry but I'd love to see them team up together in another book.

This is a truly magnificent novel and deserves to do incredibly well. After reading Daughters of Night, I tried to read a contemporary crime novel but I couldn't settle to it. Instead I've started to read The Mirror and the Light by Hilary Mantel and quite honestly, that should tell you something about the calibre of Laura Shepherd-Robinson's writing. I eagerly anticipate her next book.
I really really loved this book for the first third. Racy, pacy, interesting, a historical period that I love. Couldn’t put it down... but somehow along the way it lost its thrall.

An engaging story but too many characters - ok so they are interwoven but there are at least 10 different people who are part of the various groupings. I loved it in parts - magical writing, absorbing and thrilling intrigue- and yet there was just too much of it. I’m a fast reader, but I found it rather too long.

Would I read this author again? Absolutely! Would I recommend this book to others - yes for historical fiction or thriller fans. But I hesitate to give it more than 3*, perhaps a generous 3.5*... a little disappointed as I thought I’d found a gem of a 5 star book (few and far between!)...
I was not sure what to expect from this book, as normal historical fiction is not usually my cup of tea, but I am so glad that I broke my own reading habits and read this.  It is regency perfection meets the nitty gritty of harlots in a balance that has you wrapped up, and not knowing what side of the street you would have wanted to live on.  The detail is amazing, the author certainly did her homework, and the little extra touches she added in were amazing.  As for the story, I did not know if I was coming or going, and that was brilliant.  I was clutching at straws in the middle of the night trying to figure out who the guilty parties were, and still never saw all the twists and turns.

I can not wait to see what comes from her in he future!
This is the first book I have read by Laura Shepherd-Robinson and I am sure it won’t be the last!

When I began the book I was a bit daunted by the extensive character list but I needn’t have worried. The story was easy to follow and I was drawn into the mystery from the first few pages.

Set in London of the 1780’s Daughters of Night follows Caroline ‘Caro’ Corsham, a society lady, as she hires the services of thief-taker Peregrine Child to investigate the brutal murder of a woman in Vauxhall Gardens.

The tale is atmospheric and compelling throughout and I was kept guessing to the very end. Highly recommended!
Excellent book. Well researched. A crime story with many twists and changes that kept you hanging on to the very end.  I have nothing to criticise about this book and thoroughly recommend it as one to read.
I have read probably hundreds of romance novels from this period.  This novel was a very different proposition though. The level of detail and research that had been undertaken was amazing. I was literally transported to the time in my imagination.  The author’s writing was so vivid you could nearly see and smell the filth and drudgery of life in London in the late 18th century.  The story itself was brilliantly written and whilst it was quite slow moving it held me gripped throughout.  I hadn’t realised it was the 2nd in a series and it could easily be read as a stand-alone novel.  It was a truly great mystery that had me guessing right to the end.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publishers for allowing me to read a preview copy of this book.
Thank you to NetGalley fr an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

Wow, what a fabulous book, very atmospheric, great characters, good setting and plot. I am so looking forward to reading more from this author.
Laura Shepherd-Robinson follows up her stunning debut of Blood and Sugar with an equally enthralling and multilayered historical murder mystery with some familiar characters set a year later in 1782 in the London of Georgian England. The central protagonist this time is the wife of Captain Harry Corsham, Caroline. Harry is away in France after his investigation into the horrors of the slave trade and the brutal murder of a slave. His absence heightens Caro's anxieties, given the unbearable predicament she finds herself in and which threatens to bring her world crumbling down. She is at the Victoria Pleasure Gardens where she hears the whispered last words of the Italian Lady Lucia that give her cause for concern. Lucia's murder is initially taken up by the Bow Street Constables, but dropped like a hot potato when it is revealed that Lucia is in reality a high class prostitute known as Lucy Loveless.

Caro is unwilling to let matters rest there as she instigates an investigation into Lucy's killing, an act that is going to bring threats and obstacles into her life, there are many that are intent on ensuring that she drops her inquiry, with the gentleman who knew Lucy refusing to disclose relevant information. Despite the dangers and terrors she faces, the courageous Caro is determined and continues on her chosen path, aided by the thief taker Peregrine Child, a man struggling with and stalked by his own demons. The reader is immersed into the highest and lowest circles of London society, a London of vast inequalities and extreme poverty, in all its filth, seediness, brothels, crime, desperation, scandals, hypocrisy, secret, lies, corruption and treachery as the lid is lifted on one of the biggest amoral economic earners of the period, the sex trade and prostitution in which women and girls are bought and sold like any other commodity. Women have barely any rights in this historical period, and even women like Caro have limitations placed on their lives, unable to control their finances, face devastating punishments and consequences, disgrace, and ostracism, judged and condemned harshly for any perceived transgressions.

The author beautifully and atmospherically evokes Georgian London with her wide cast of flawed and complicated characters, the well researched historical details, the sharp class, social, economic, political and gender divisions, and the rich descriptions which make the period come vibrantly alive. The highlight of the novel were the strong women and the depth of the characters, multidimensional and flawed, even when it comes to the depiction of 15 year old Pamela. This is a thrilling, entertaining and gripping historical mystery that examines the sex trade, full of suspense and tension, with unexpected twists, informative, educational and insightful of Georgian England, and the position of women in that time. This is high quality historical fiction that I recommend highly. Many thanks to Pan Macmillan for an ARC.
Daughters of Night by Laura Shepherd-Robinson is the eagerly-awaited follow-up to the eighteenth century London murder mystery Blood & Sugar.

I enjoyed this book even more than the first, perhaps because the protagonist-sleuth this time was Caro Corsham rather than her husband.  Caro is a more morally complex character and Georgian London was very well depicted, particularly the louche atmosphere of Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens.

The mystery was satisfyingly solved, but the end of the novel provides a bit of a cliffhanger which hopefully points to at least one more book in this excellent series?

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for providing a review copy in exchange for honest feedback.
Absolutely brilliant! Laura is queen of historical fiction! I was a huge fan of the first book so had high expectations of this one, it did not disappoint. Intricately woven murder mystery, brilliant characters and fantastic scene setting. I loved that she kept some characters from the first book but changed perspectives and wasn't 'samey'. The plot in this book was terrific and I couldn't put it down. I loved the lead character, a strong independent woman. I also really respect her historical accuracy, it must take a lot of background work to be able to write like this. I think this is a brilliant book and not just another cliche mystery about a murdered prostitute, she did it with respect and an innovative story. Not as gritty or raw as the first one, but thoroughly enjoyable. Can't wait for the next!
Really great gothic historical mystery set in georgian London, would definitely recommend it. Strong characters and fantastic twists, a book you become immersed in,
Thanks to netgalley for my arc for an honest review.

I loved Daughters of Night by Laura Shephard Robinson . It was a total surprise to me.  I hadn’t read her first novel Blood & Sugar which apparently has some of the same character in but they can clearly be read independently.

Daughters of night is a thriller /mystery set in 1780 ish . We follow two timelines throughout and three characters . One a young girl called Pamela, Caro, a well to do lady and Child who is a thief hunter . When a woman called Lucia is found murdered by Caro, Caro recruits Child to find the murderer.

I don’t want to go in to too much detail as am worried I will give away a spoiler but it’s a great tale. The writing it great. It gives your the atmosphere of London in those times without being pretentious or difficult to read. The main characters are so well crafted and I was really engrossed by the story and their journey. This is a super super long book at nearly 600 pages but I think it was worth it? By being such a long book, there ended up being multiple layers of mysteries and the end was so good!

Loved this and will definitely read more from this author