Cover Image: The Baby Group

The Baby Group

Thanks to Netgalley and Avon Books UK for my copy.

Scarlett has worked hard to re-invent herself and leave her wild past behind her. Whilst on maternity leave she is writing a blog detailing her perfect life as a yummy mummy and wife.

As she returns to the office she is greeted by stares and whispers from her co-workers. Someone has sent a shocking video to everyone in her office of Scarlett from her wild youth. Scarlet flees the office but then is confronted with the fact the video has been sent to all her family and friends as well.

The only people not on the receiving list are the group of mothers Scarlett has made friends with since the birth of her baby. Who is to blame for the leaked video? Who can she trust as all her relationships become strained?

I felt very sorry for Scarlett being thoroughly humiliated but she was a bit uppity and full of smug importance. Having said that my sympathy lay entirely with her and loss of dignity.Her husband Ed was very unlikeable and and unsupportive.

This was a great read with an absorbing plot and believable characters.
Released 17 September 2020

This one is hard to review. It took me a while to get into it and then I got engrossed and then it dragged and then the end was a big cliche.

This book follows Scarlett salloway, mummy blogger moved to the country side from the city. As the title implies it revolves heavily around the group of women Scarlett did antenatal classes with.

Lots of drama, some of it unexpected and others blatantly obvious well to me anyway.

I enjoyed the friendships, if you can call it that, I feel like so many woman could probably relate to the situation of feeling like you have nothing in common with other mums other than the obvious bonding of that you are all mother's! I enjoyed delving into Scarlett past, and I liked seeing her and eds relationship. I found alot of it relatable.

The parts I didn't really like were when she finds out who did the deed, I found that part repetitive and to be dragged out. Honestly without the main plot of the sex tape, I would have just enjoyed reading about scarlett and her life.
It's so hard to find good genuine people these days. Everyone is usually hiding something or using you for some unknown reason.

Scarlett seems to live a charmed life. That is if you believe everything she posts to social media and her blog. We all know that there is always something below the glossy venire. Even if it is something from years ago that would never have been thought of again.

Once a video from Scarlett's past surfaces everything changes. She becomes the stay at home mom, but not the ideal one her husband would have preferred. Tormented by who could possibly have done this, Scarlett starts to search for the culprit. Starting in the past and working her way forward.

Scarlett wouldn't anticipate the mountain of deceit that she is about to uncover and the lies that have been lying just beneath the surface.

The Baby Group was a very gripping and thought provoking book. Making you question how well you know the ones you trust the most.
The author’s 1st book ‘Through the Wall’ was really good, I have read the 2nd book can be difficult especially if the 1st a success, not so with this book, its awesome
And yet I nearly passed this one by re the title ( I don’t think it gives enough feel of the book and sounds like its all about babies ) but read the blurb and knew it was for me!

Scarlett, half reluctantly, half excitedly, goes back to her job in the City after maternity leave in her Country cottage with Ed her hubby and her baby Poppy.....as she strides into her workplace she feels her colleagues are avoiding her, looking the other way or looking nervously through her
She is flummoxed by their reception until she is led into a boardroom and her boss tells her everyone has had a copy of a ‘sex tape’ and its her, from years ago, with 2 men...as the day goes on she finds out everyone in her life has had it, her Dad, Sister, in-laws, friends, literally everyone...everyone except that is her 3 New Mummy friends she met at pre birth classes, the 3 people bar her hubby she is closest to, trusts and loves
But as the book progresses she ( and we ) learn never to trust anyone as a multi layered deception is underway, one she would never, could never imagine and when she finds out the bitter, nasty truth well the real fireworks start
Awesomely written, draws you in and just never lets you go, shocking, dark, yet at times humorous you will finish the book with a WOW knowing you have read an incredibly good book

10/10
5 Stars
This is a brilliant read.
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believable.
Great suspense and found myself second guessing every thought I had continuously.
Can't wait to read what the author brings out next.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
Scarlett attended an antenatal class with Cora, Emma, and Asha.  Her precious little girl, Poppy, is now the age where Scarlett can return to work.  She has has a successful blog called Cheshire Mama.  Scarlett is married to Ed, a wealthy financial manager.  In her much younger days, Scarlett drank a lot, did drugs, and had sex with lots of men.  It is a past of which she is very ashamed.  Today, a video pops up of her having sex with two different men.  It has been sent to her friends, family, and co-workers.  Scarlett is shocked and humiliated wondering who would have done this to her.  She hunts down the men involved and they both swear they did not post the video.

She checks with an attorney and internet expert to see if they can help her find who posted the video.  Meanwhile, her marriage to Ed is slowly crumbling and she is getting odd messages from someone tormenting her about her past.  Who would do this and why?

As this take unfolds, we see lots of selfish and self-centered people.  I am becoming more and more against social media and this book has pushed me to finally delete my Facebook account, and to congratulate myself for never opening an Instagram account.  Why share every minute of your life with no-telling what nutcase out there?  The book lays it all out - the grit, the dirt, and the weird side of people.  I rather feel like I need a shower after reading it.  Thrillers like this beckon me to bow to the incredible imaginations of authors.

Copy provided by NetGalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Review for The Baby Group by Caroline Corcoran.
This is such an amazing book! In it, we follow Scarlett, a new mum who has her sex tape leaked online. This has a huge impact on Scarlett's life and family.
I was on the edge of my seat throughout this book, I was so eager to find out who had leaked the tape and why. I always like to make up theories but genuinely didn't see this coming.
It's gripping from the first page, I was so invested in the characters, even the ones I hated (if you've read this, you know who I'm talking about).
I found myself rooting for Scarlett and ached for her as this chaos took over her life.
A five star read that I would definitely recommend!
And the best bit ?
This is out right now!

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for this copy to review!
I absolutely loved this book! You are taken through twists and turns, as a woman experiences the ultimate nightmare, in the digital world we live in. It was scary to see just how far her world toppled because of the horrible and rash actions, of someone who knew way to much about her.

I loved the level of detail, and that the main character actually found herself along the way, as well as stumbling through the horrible journey she was forced along. The detail in the world and the story definitely made it very easy to become part of the story, and really feel as though I was there with her, as things fell apart. I liked that there were several different types of characters and they interacted in a very real way, most of them brought together by a simple baby group.

The pace flowed nicely, really giving you a sense of urgency, but still giving you time to take in everything happening and make your own guesses about who was causing it.

Overall, an absolutely brilliant book and one I very highly recommend!
The Baby Group is a thriller that had me go round in circles to get my head around who the blackmailer was.
Scarlett is mum to Poppy and lives a lovely life with her husband, as Scarlett is on maternity leave she has started a blog and blogs several times a day about her perfect family, house and life. At anti natal classes she meets Cora, Emma and Asha and they meet up regularly now the babies have been born. One year on and Scarlett is returning to work but when she gets there it becomes apparent that someone has emailed a link to all her family, friends and work colleagues something from her past that is very embarrassing. She tries to get the link taken down but it is all too late and she finds herself trying to find out who would do such a thing.
The chapters are from Scarlett’s point of view with the occasional chapter from anon and trying to work out who that is, is a headbanger. This was a well thought out thriller and one I enjoyed.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Avon Books UK for this ARC I received in exchange for an honest review.
Scarlett, Cora, Emma and Asha have been friends since meeting at their NCT Baby Group while pregnant. They have become a lovely, supportive group helping each other through the first year of their babies lives and appear to be the only friends that Scarlett has left after a sex tape of her is leaked to all of her other friend, family and work colleagues…including some of her clients. Someone doesn’t want to just hurt Scarlett, but they want to destroy her!

This followed a great plot, Scarlett was 23 years old when she made the sex tape, with two men after a devastating life event through to showing up years later in the inboxes of everyone she knows. The analysis of who could have sent it, working through each person, especially when not many knew, combined with her feelings around it, to returning to work after having her baby and then virtually being kicked out again straight away. Who would want to destroy her life so much? What was she missing?

Told in three points of view, mainly Scarlett’s, then Emma and finally the ‘anonymous’ persons voice, they have obviously been hurt and upset by Scarlett and her actions, but the reason why doesn’t become clear until the end of the book. In between is a complicated story of suspicions of love affairs, disputes between friends and the shame and embarrassment that Scarlett feels now that she has been exposed.

The characters are well developed, some appear to be more filler than necessary to the story but on the whole, they are easy to identify with. Scarlett has some lovely people around her and some not so nice which becomes clearer through the story.

I really enjoyed this and, although I had some ideas who published the video it wasn’t obvious and wasn’t the person I thought it was. It’s all well wrapped up at the end as well which is always great to see, we know who did it and why ad the theories behind their thinking. A great read from Caroline Corcoran!
Wow wow wow! The Baby Group totally sucked me in and if you've been part of a playgroup or love stories about mommy drama (and don’t we all?), it will grab you too.

"My narrative is unravelling. It can't come out."

Scarlett Salloway has it all - a successful and handsome husband, a beautiful baby girl, a picture-perfect house in the English countryside, a great group of friends, and a mommy blog on which she shows it all off. But when someone sends a steamy video from her past to everyone she knows, her world starts to unravel. She has to find out who's trying to ruin her life before they can reveal anything else but little does Scarlett know that the person threatening everything she loves is someone in her inner circle...

This is such a fun domestic drama/thriller! I loved that the "crime" was committed via social media and using technology, and the story revolves around Scarlett trying to maintain this glossy world she's created and has everyone believing. We're all guilty of this in some way now - the social media "reality" vs. actual reality - and it makes for a great backdrop. Corcoran really nails mommy group friendships - from the desperation for adult connection when you have newborns, even when it's with people you have nothing in common with, to the competitive and judgmental nature of mom friends - and I laughed out loud multiple times at Scarlett's sassy and snarky feelings about her "besties" and life as a mom who's coming undone.

If you loved Big Little Lies, check out The Baby Group which is out today. I was surprised by its twists and didn't want to say goodbye to Scarlett when it was over. I totally would have been her mom friend.

Thanks to NetGalley, Avon Books and the author for an advanced copy to review.
An engrossing and captivating read which started out light and got very dark very quickly!

Scarlett is a new mum who, on the face of it, has it all; handsome husband, pretty baby, house in the Cheshire countryside, high-flying job in Manchester and - to top it all off - a successful blog. Life is golden until, that is, someone posts a video online from her past when Scarlett's life was a lot less than perfect. Everyone she interacts with has seen the shaming video except her mum friends. So who spilt the beans?

I eased into this thinking it would be on the lighter side but, boy, was I wrong! We all have things from our past (don't we?) that isn't common fodder but Scarlett's is a whopper. It's very easy to put yourself in her place and empathise. This is a good read which flows easily throughout, displaying a surfeit of emotions from a well-drawn character. I liked that the chapters were headed with who was currently narrating - that makes reading a lot less of a guessing game! With a cracking twist at the very end, The Baby Group is an enjoyable and unpredictable read and Caroline Corcoran is definitely an author I would read again. Recommended, and well worth 4*.

My thanks to the publisher for my copy via NetGalley; this is - as always - my honest, original and unbiased review.
The Baby Group is Corcoran’s latest domestic thriller with rather a spicy premise and therefore lots of promise from the get-go. Scarlett is a thirty-five-year-old wife and mother from small-town Cheshire in Middle England, where she resides with husband Ed and partakes in their seemingly picture-postcard lifestyle. She is readying herself to go back to work after being on maternity leave for the past year or so in order to bond as much as she could with new daughter, Poppy. Although a little sad to be exiting the world of baby and toddler groups and morphing from a lady who lunches back into a businesswoman, it is a necessary evil considering the state of their finances and her eagerness for adult company. Over the past 12 months her long term friends have taken a backseat and Cora, Emma and Asha, whom she met at antenatal classes, have become her close-knit group. They've been doing literally everything together and easing each other's burden regarding being the primary caregiver. But Scarlett hasn't always been so responsible.

She used to be a wild child - partying hard, taking her fair share of drugs and generally just getting herself into trouble. She once filmed a threesome with her boyfriend and a male friend which she has feared would come back to haunt her given it had never been destroyed. Now someone has sent a copy of it to what appears to be every single person she knows. Her employer, coworkers, father and in-laws are included but oddly not the 3 other mothers. The rest of the book follows the devastating fallout that comes as a result of the sex tape and Scarlett begins to piece together the puzzle as to the identity of the anonymous poster. But is it Cora, Emma or Asha who will stop at nothing to see her once bright future turn to ruin? This is a wildly entertaining, compulsive and addictive read which is truly gripping from beginning to end. I was shocked by much of what was revealed as Corcoran ratchets up the tension before leaving you gobsmacked at the explosive finale. Highly recommended. Many thanks to Avon for an ARC.
Some people have an easier life and time after having a child and some are struggling all the through.

When an old video of the heroine is shared among her family and friends, everything goes upside down and the mental health become a real issue for her in my opinion because there are so many what-ifs and why and who.

From all the friends’ group, the baby group, you can’t really think of who did it and why but again can you really know a person and her life before you met and befriend her? Can you really know what happens behind closed doors in anyone’s house?

This book was definitely interesting and kept me engaged throughout the story. I won’t lie and say that I loved everything that happened because I really did not and have my convictions and beliefs regarding certain moments and scenes that happened here but overall it’s a great domestic story that many will enjoy
𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐚 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐟𝐞𝐜𝐭 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞, 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐚 𝐬𝐡𝐨𝐜𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐯𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐨 𝐨𝐟 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐠𝐞𝐭𝐬 𝐬𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰𝐬, 𝐚𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐧𝐞𝐰 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐩. 𝐇𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐢𝐟𝐞 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐮𝐧𝐫𝐚𝐯𝐞𝐥 & 𝐬𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐥𝐢𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐢𝐬 𝐨𝐮𝐭 𝐭𝐨 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐡𝐞𝐫, 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐰𝐡𝐲? 𝐒𝐜𝐚𝐫𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐨 𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐧𝐝 𝐡𝐞𝐫, 𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐥𝐮𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐜𝐥𝐨𝐬𝐞𝐬𝐭 𝐟𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬, 𝐢𝐬 𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐲𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐚𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐦𝐚𝐤𝐞 𝐨𝐮𝐭?

So I read this book in almost one sitting! It was super fast paced & so much was happening, I didn't want to put it down without finding out what was happening. I felt for Scarlett's character throughout, we all make mistakes & she definitely tried to turn her life around.

Without spoilers, some of it is quite predictable however I wouldn't have been able to guess what actually happened, just slight suspicious.. I literally was 🧐 looking for any clue to who it was 😂 I have to admit the only thing that spoilt the book, and this is very much my own feelings.. Is there was certain characters I really hated and I don't often really hate characters just dislike some things.. But wow I hated one 😳 and their part for me was SO irritating I did find it hard to read. Although their part also played so well into the story 👏

Thank you to @netgalley and @avonbooks for allowing me to read this ARC!
Thus is the first book I have read by this author,  and after reading it I would class it as a domestic thriller.
It is a story about secrets and lies with some twists and turns along the way.
I found the main character annoying sometimes.
I did work out who the gillian was but not the reason why and there was a good final twist that I didn't predict.
Overall I foubdcthis to be a good read with some interesting twists.
This book's premise was so interesting to me, so I had to pick it up.

Her life was perfect. Until the video. Scarlett's golden life suddenly unravels when someone sends a shocking video of her to everyone she knows. The only people who claim they haven't seen it are the friends in her new mothers' group: Cora, Emma and Asha. Scarlett is forced to delve into her past to discover who is out to get her. But as her circle of trust gathers around her, she has to ask - are her friends as innocent as they seem?

This story is told in 2 points of view: Scarlett and the anonymous POV of the person who leaked the sex tape. And overall this led to the interest of the plot being pushed forward. But for me the person who "did it" was fairly obvious. Plus I wasn't totally clear on the why either. But other than that, it was very entertaining!
This was a true Psychological Thriller where the main protagonist has her mind completely played with, and her life is falling apart at the seams.
Scarlett has the ideal life, or so it seems from the outside. She has a big house in the country, the perfect job, husband and child. She has a great group of friends, and everything is going well for her. That is until someone decides to take her down a peg or two.
I didn’t have a clue who was out to destroy Scarlett. I kept going around in circles, trying to decide. We get an insight into the tormentor’s mind as ‘anon’, but it could be any of three people. The why they are doing it is even more of a mystery. I was shocked by the ending as I didn’t see that outcome coming and I would never have guessed it in a million years. The author really does keep you on your toes, guessing right to the end.
The author has proved that she isn’t a one-hit-wonder, this is her second novel, and it was just as gripping as her first. Sometimes the second novel can be a let down after the heights you were taken to with the first; however, this was not the case here.
Even though the story is gripping, I did find Scarlett as a character a little annoying. Large chunks of time would pass by with things getting worse, and she was doing nothing other than drinking. Her inability to confront her husband was frustrating; I wanted to just charge in there and take over. Get some answers. I think she was like this, though, because of the drink. It was supposed to baffle her and us.
Overall, a great read and I look forward to what this author has to offer in the future.
I was given the opportunity to read this book through netgalley. When reading the blurb I thought this is definitely a book I would like to read and in lots of ways it didn't disappoint.
I found it fast paced and full of information but unfortunately for me, there was lots of unnecessary information and extra bits that just felt like gap fillers.
The book was good but the main character was quite annoying although for the story purposes she was portrayed that way although sometimes it got a bit much.
All in all I enjoyed the book and gave it 4 stars
Thank you to the author and the publishers and netgalley for the opportunity to read this book for my honest review
Her life was perfect. Until the video.

Scarlett’s golden life suddenly unravels when someone sends a shocking video of her to everyone she knows. The only people who claim they haven’t seen it are the friends in her new mothers’ group: Fiona, Emma and Asha.

Scarlett is forced to delve into her past to discover who is out to get her. But as her circle of trust gathers around her, she has to ask – are her friends as innocent as they seem?

This book was so good I could not put it down.
I loved how it kept you guessing. As the story progressed the author would give little clues as to who the perpetrator was but I was constantly changing my mind on who released the video. By the end of the book I was convinced I knew who it was but I was so wrong.

The only thing I did not like was the main characters ability to bury her head in the sand when it came to her husband and confronting him about an alleged affair.

I definitely  will be reading this author again.