Cover Image: Mind Games

Mind Games

Engaging and informative; Southall's "Mind Games" delves into a large number of topics associated with football, namely the relations of the game with society, with racism, sexuality, mental health, addiction, with sensitiveness and sincerity.
Important to note don’t go expecting a footballing memoir, however, do expect a fascinating book looking at various issues from a footballing angle. There are plenty of footballing references, plus you can see his admiration for fellow Everton legends like Howard Kendall and Duncan Ferguson.

Southall doesn’t hold back, although he always looks at solutions rather than rant away. If you are on Twitter you will know he is a regular on there and even allows ‘takeovers’ of his account a few times a week for others to publicise positive thoughts, events etc.

Someone at the FA should read this and then approach Neville Southall to advise on a task force on key issues such as LGBT+ (he outlines a way that a gay footballer could come out provided a support structure was in place) and mental health. His idea of linking people and agencies who wish to help in various circumstances through social media is another good point well made. Joined up thinking and action. Again, not rocket science but coming from a footballing name you would hope it could carry more clout.

A book that gets you thinking and maybe challenge some of your opinions.
Really enjoyed this book as it was more about Neville talking about subjects like mental health, racism , and bits about his career but only as an overview and this book may surprise people but feel it should be read by people as it may change opinions
I loved this, I love Neville but I’m not unbiased I am an Everton fan, but this was so much more than I was expecting, it’s just just a journey through his glory days, happy memories and funny stories, Neville discusses mental health, racism , homophobia, how things can and need to change , it’s a really interesting and inspiring read

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Neville Southall was a successful goalkeeper for Everton and Wales in the 80s and 90s. In this book he reflects on parts of his career and how things have changed in the game since then.  He discusses some of football’s taboos such as racism and homophobia and puts forward how the game and society could deal with these things better and be more accepting.  He also discusses strategies and actions that could be put in place to help young players cope; those who make it to the big time and more especially those that don’t. Really interesting read.

Thanks to Netgalley, Harper Collins and Neville Southall for the ARC of this book in return for an honest review.
Neville Southall has always been a fascinating person. He comes across as a no nonsense figure and his social media has shown him to be a sensitive, compassionate man. The book represents his views on a range of issues from addiction to coping with pressure, and issues of confidence. Although he is mostly talking about his experience as a professional footballer, and later as a coach, all of the truths in the book are universal and can be applied to anyone.
This book was completely different to what I was expecting but was a fascinating and thought provoking read. Neville Southall was a much loved and successful footballer but this is far from a book revelling in his past glories but his reflections on mental health and other taboos. His personal thoughts are far from the usual ramblings and stereotypes perceived of retired footballers and celebrities and are guaranteed to get the readers mind going.

He reflects on the sufferings of the game and how some of societies problems are reflecting within it such as mental health and players sexuality. This really is an interesting book and not at all what I was expecting. </p>

I would like to thank both Netgalley and Harper Collins for supplying a copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
Now this was an unexpected pleasure!

I had no idea what to expect from this book and I have to say that I was very pleasantly surprised. I remember Neville Southall as a wonderfully athletic and consistent yet unorthodox goalkeeper for Everton and Wales in the 80s and 90s but what he has proved here is that he has a mind as agile as his goalkeeping.

He wanders over a broad range of subjects such as confidence, team work, leadership, pressure and the lessons he learned from his own football experience but, even more interestingly he covers many topical issues such as homophobia, social media and racism and gives his view on the. He is never less than lucid, open and honest and his opinions are well worth reading.

Ostensibly a football book, but one that that covers much more than football.

Highly recommended.