Cover Image: Pop!

Pop!

A book as additive as the fizzy drink it features! Pop is a fast-paced, action-packed book, which packs a mighty punch about the environmental, and personal, impact of big corporations.

Set in a frighteningly dystopian future, where climate change, plastic pollution and the greed of big companies reign supreme, Pop tells the story of the loss of the secret recipe of the world’s most popular drink. When Queenie stumbles upon the secret formula, her life is immediately at risk. Kidnap, assassination attempts, bounty hunters and angry mobs intermingle with new friendships, finding out what really matters and standing up for what is right.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and guzzled it down in one sitting. I found it entirely unpredictable, frighteningly believable and utterly refreshing. It’s an adventure story but it could easily be read as a mystery, a sci-fi thriller or a moralistic tale. It was enjoyable from beginning to end.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with this ARC.
Wow, what a thrill ride! A hilarious satire about pepsi and coke, with a strong environmental message. I thoroughly enjoyed this as an adult, and children aged 9+ would love it. Although it touches on important themes, none of it felt too adult for kids to read and understand. The plot recovers around the secret formula to a high sugar, high caffeine fizzy drink, Mac Tonic, which is lost at sea. It washes up in a plastic bottle, and the girl who finds it ends up in a web of kidnapping, conspiracies, black helicopters and car chases. It makes clear how companies will put brands and making money ahead of ethics, but in a really amusing and easy to access way. Will stir up environmental feelings in anyone!
Fast-paced, entertaining but with deep and important messages. Mitch starts with assumptions that so many consumers hold, and takes them on a journey through thinking about consumerism, capitalism, competition and the destructive hold big business can hold on us. I can't wait to share this important message with my young readers, and especially with schools!
When 2 planes crash over the Pacific, the unthinkable happens: The secret recipe for the world's favourite soft drink, MacTonic, is lost. As the Great Thirst begins, young Queenie de la Cruz finds the ingredients list washed up in a bottle written on a label. This is an action packed adventure charting Queenie's kidnap, escape and a chase across the country. With an unlikely friend, Todd, to help her, will she return the list to the MacTonic Corporation, or will others get to her first?
I was quite surprised at how quickly this book gripped me and I read it in the space of 24 hours. There were parts that felt quite futuristic (after all we don't currently have advertising on the moon) but also very much present day with the key theme of pollution and littering. I would probably recommend this book to readers in key stage 3.
Imagine a world without Coca Cola, then step into  a world without MacTonic. Queenie finds herself at the centre of a fast paced adventure to save her precious MacTonic drink. Full of twists and turns, action and dilemma, this is guaranteed to appeal to a wide range of readers as it’s a book you don’t want to put down. Themes of family, friendship and looking after our planet also feature strongly throughout the book.
Pop! is an action packed. gripping, highly addictive adventure that once you start reading you cannot get enough. A really fun and laugh out loud hilarious read.