Cover Image: The Constant Rabbit

The Constant Rabbit

This was a DNF from me which is a shame as I like Fforde’s Last Dragonslayer series and have had Thursday Next highly recommended to me. Although elements of the satire were funny, sadly the plot got lost somewhere in it and it just wasn’t holding my attention.
Thank you to Hodder and Netgalley for my arc in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you very much to @hodderbooks and #NetGalley for this #ARC copy of #TheConstantRabbit by @jasperfforde.
⠀⠀
This book is first and foremost unlike anything else I’ve ever read. Part dystopian world, part political commentary, part nonsense!
If you could imagine Dr Seuss crossed with Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale, you have The Constant Rabbit! (Now that I think about it, it draws some very strong parallels with Orwell’s Animal Farm...)
⠀⠀
Despite how crazy it is though, it’s an utterly brilliant novel. A touching and compelling romance is woven into the chaos of the ‘other’ in modern British society. Whilst the scapegoat in this novel becomes the figure of a human-like rabbit, Fforde will get your mind racing as to where we can see similar parallels of discrimination and abuse in our own society today. You will be truly swept into an all-consuming world and you’ll be left reeling by the end.
⠀⠀
I’m honestly struggling to review this book simply because it is quite so unusual but if you’re looking for something a little different, check this out.
⠀⠀
The only reason this isn’t a five star review is due to the rather abrupt and slightly dissatisfying ending. Otherwise, this could well be a modern day Orwellian classic.
This is Jasper Fforde's response to the political and social moment, and as I saw him say somewhere (instagram? his website?), it's not subtle. But it's also absolutely Jasper Fforde. It's absurd, it's funny and he's managed to make a world where there are 6 foot anthropomorphised rabitts (and a few other species) seem absolutely real and plausible. I think if you like Fforde's previous books, this is a continuation of the same sort of thing he's been doing there, but with a different twist. It'll make you think as well as make you laugh, and it is utterly mad at times. Maybe not the best place to start with Fforde's work, unless you're used to reading alternative world fantasy/spec fiction.
Peter Knox lives a quiet life in Much Hemlock. He works as a Rabbit Spotter for the taskforce, helping to ensure compliance of the rabbits that were anthropomorphised during the Event.  Although Peter has never been actively leporiphobic, he has never been actively pro Rabbit either. When Doc and Constance Rabbit move in next door, Peter is forced to decide where his loyalties lie.

Jasper Fforde is rapidly becoming one of my favourite authors, and I'm always excited to see what he writes next.  Each time I go in a little dubious, wondering if this is the time where I just don't get it, and each time he surprises me with just how much I can enjoy the zany world he has created for us.

This book, like most of Fforde's, is set in the UK, but in a very different version of the UK to the one we know.  In this version there was a Spontaneous Anthropomorphic Event many years ago that resulted in several animals becoming anthropomorphised.  Rabbits are the main focus, but foxes and weasels are among the other animals affected. Sounds really out there right? It sort of is for the first few chapters, and then you start to realise that there are a lot of parallels between this version of the UK and the world we know.

Amongst the characters we have a bit of everything:- the Rabbit family who are unashamedly rabbits; Mr Ffoxe who makes a delightfully evil and incredibly cunning bad guy (amongst many); Lugless who is a rabbit who turned on his own; Whizelle the sneaky weasel; the Mallett brothers as the right wing extremists but otherwise upstanding citizens; and of course Peter, who has burried his head in the sand as an unwitting accomplice.

The plot covers Brexit, fake news and council cost cutting as well as a few bigger issues.  We've got a love triangle, a duel, a kidnapping and a murder all thrown in for good measure.  The book really does have it all!

On the surface this is a humorous and enjoyable look at life and politics. Delve a little deeper and it really looks at the darker side of both.  Fforde presents the ideas of xenophobia and racism in such a way that it makes you want to laugh at the absurdity of it all, until you realise that actually he's making some very good points.  A brilliantly funny book that has all of the trademark wit and satire that you would expect from Jasper Fforde, but also makes you think too.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hodder & Stoughton for an arc in exchange for an honest review
I'm struggling with this review and the rating as much as I struggled with the book. I've heard a lot about this author and was keen to read his latest work. However a lot of the jokes felt a bit close to the bone, as they probably are meant to, but with recent events pushing issues around racism closer to the surface I feel this book is not always as funny as perhaps it was intended to be.
This is your quintessential Jasper Fforde. I think that speaks for itself. However I've been asked to say more. This world Fforde has created has the wit, edge, and absurdity almost to make you forget it is a political satire.
I love reading Jasper Fforde because you find yourself catapulted into a parallel universe that’s often completely absurd. When that universe involves the neighbours being 6ft talking rabbits and the reader has a five foot white rabbit greeting guests at the front door it’s a match made in heaven. I have been fascinated with these beautiful creatures since I was six years old. We lived in the country and Dad worked on a farm. One evening I was just getting out of the bath, being dried by Mum, when Dad walked in with a tiny leveret he’d found on the edge of a field. It was the softest thing I had ever felt, and Dad let me hold him and keep him warm, while he found a suitable pen to pop him into until he’d recovered. From then on I have loved all long eared creatures and my favourite book of early childhood, The Velveteen Rabbit, still holds a special place in my heart. So, this book was on one level a charming, satirical story, but one with a darker undercurrent pertinent to the current times we live in and a past we must never forget.

Peter Knox is a single dad who works with the Rabbit Compliance Taskforce, an organisation policing the law as it pertains to our bunny friends. The world has undergone a Spontaneous Anthropomorphic Event. Now rabbits live alongside humans, but they are treated differently and have a different set of laws to their human counterparts. Most live in colonies together, known as living ‘within the fence’. These are countryside based zones with restricted movement, and although they’re free to come and go, this did made me think of my local gypsy community who live in a settled campsite on the edge of town. However, some live side by side with humans in town. In fact Peter’s own neighbour is a rabbit. Some live a more wild lifestyle, continuing the rabbit code of settling disagreements with duels and abusing the lethal cocktail dandelion brandy. Peter is one of few people who can tell the difference between settled rabbits, and their more problematic counterparts. In fact, his first love at university was a rabbit called Connie. When he bumps into her, the old feelings rekindle and as the attitude towards rabbits starts to turn he may find himself having to choose which side of the fence to be on.

The darker undercurrent comes from a Prime Minister, who isn’t as keen on the bunny population. He’d like to round them up and take them to a huge facility in Wales, known as the Mega Warren. It’s being sold as a great place to live, where all rabbits can feel safe and protected. His political party is named UKARP which stands for UK Anti Rabbit Party, so rabbits are suspicious of his motives. He simply wants segregation and this is the first step. In a great parallel to some of our current world leaders he is hopelessly inept and reliant on advisors and scary PR people as his henchmen. Fforde is making a thinly veiled criticism of the current political climate, with fake news and disinformation spread amongst the population. There is a worrying need to control and watch the rabbits abs a determination to see them as other. It can be a very dark satire in places and if we think back to other attempts to control and corral those seen as different the results are mass extermination,

Fforde is very clever not to let the book dip into something dystopian and dismal. There’s witty dialogue that made me smile to myself, and there are even some laugh out loud moments too. He pokes fun at our Britishness and our terribly polite use of understatement, as well as some political acronyms worthy of The Thick of It. This is a truly inventive read from an original writer with a great sense of humour,
When you pick up a Jasper Fforde book you must know in advance that some strange things are likely to occur within its pages. Here, strange takes the shape of a rabbit as a spontaneous anthropomorphic event, which occurred in the 60s, gifts the planet with sentient human-like rabbits and other creatures too. They are roughly human height, stand on two legs, are rabid vegans, wear clothes, drive cars and duel when spouse appropriation is on the cards. A wise and peace loving culture, the rabbit way of life is meticulously crafted in The Constant Rabbit. As straightforward and lovely as that sounds, some people feel concerned that their green and pleasant land may soon be overrun by the swift breeding rabbits. Trouble rears its ugly head when Doc and Constance Rabbit move into the sleepy village of Much Hemlock. Peter Knox, the narrator of our yarn and part time speed librarian/fulltime spotter with the Rabbit Compliance Taskforce, knows Connie from uni, many moons ago. It's not a stretch to say he was smitten by the coquettish, feisty bunny.

In typical Ffordeian style this story is, by turns, hilariously funny, touching and smart as a whip. The timeliness of this novel couldn't be better as the underlying tensions of prejudice and bigotry are dealt with flawlessly - straight on with a sledgehammer, on for some, and with a delicate touch, for others. I've read most of his books and this is my absolute favourite. I was charmed from page one to the bittersweet end. It's not all fun and games, though heavy sarcasm and lots of cheeky asides deliver numerous chuckles. There are moments of anxiety, and even great concern, mixing with heartfelt gentleness and love. I was mildly tearful by the end.

The Constant Rabbit ticked all the boxes for me and left me feeling we could all benefit from the rabbit way of thinking. Thoroughly charming and wholly original, this is lighthearted enough to get me smiling during a pandemic and brilliant enough to be one of my top 5 for 2020 to date. Pure joyous delight! Thank you, Mr. Fforde.
I loved this, it's Jasper Fforde at his absolute best. Clever, thought-provoking and relevant, whilst maintaining the absurdity that we have come to love Fforde for
With somewhat impeccable timing, this book could potentially be a seen as an ally to the current rising awareness of institutional (and apparent) racism. However, it is also a white man's guilt about things in which he has been complicit, if not directly involved. But above all, it is satire - whether its satire of a situation that is too fresh to be appropriate remains to be seen - and the book is fully aware that it is satirising the British phobia of all things 'other'.

Following the mysterious Event in 1965, there are now a number of anthropomorphised rabbits (and a few other animals) living in Great Britain. They're members of the community, but are still legally animals. Are allowed to work, but only to a maximum age. And organisations like the UKARP (UK Anti Rabbit Party) and 2LG (Two Legs Good) are convinced that they will multiply (like rabbits) to spread their agenda of rampant veganism, large litters and social discourse. How frightful.

What I really admire about Jasper Fforde's writing is his ability to research a topic widely and thoroughly and to bring in lots of nuanced (and funny) comparisons. Some of this might be hard to read for non-Brits, but the clear parallels between how the UK runs and the kinds of organisations that are around, and those mentioned in this book is quite honestly amusing. Not only that, but he's able to pick up on all of those references to rabbits in tv, literature and common sayings and really highlight how one animal in particular is viewed.

What can be harder to read is how rabbits are treated in this new world order. This book is clearly written as a (comic and satirical) response to how the UK and how certain groups and political parties respond to 'others' ie non-white, non-British. Using rabbits as a point is a great example and sets up a funny and frightening story that sees a rabbit family moving into a stereotypical English village that would much rather win the Spick & Span contest than host some 'bunnies'.

The main character, Peter Knox, is dragged around between different sides and arguments. He works as a Spotter (identifying rabbits that aren't easily notably different from other rabbits) for the Rabbit Compliance Taskforce (RabCoT). He justifies that what' he's doing is to keep his family comfortable and safe, and tries not to think about how his work is used. He hasn't had much reason to have contact with rabbits since his university days, but when an old rabbit friend moves in next door, he finds himself caught between the machinations of the village, the demands of the government and the quiet, peaceful response of the rabbits.

Peter is a typical Jasper Fforde character (from what I've read of his other books) - someone who doesn't necessarily choose what happens, and is often passively involved in the plot, but someone to whom things just end up happening. And that makes it funny too - he's not nasty or heinous, he's just ... sadly typical.

There are some really intelligent reflections and social commentary - not just around British culture but also about how a lack of cultural understanding can lead to huge prejudice and fear.

To me, this reads not only as satire of the English approach to things that are "not-English" but also of a white man's guilt. And that, as we've learned so recently, inaction is the same as being complicit. It's clever, but I fear what is intended to shine a light may be seen as mockery.

I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
The Constant Rabbit is set in the present day but in an alternative universe. Following "The Event" which took place in 1965 there are over a million human sized rabbits living in the UK. The speak like humans, work, serve in the armed forces, go to university and are, of course, strict vegetarians. However they are not totally accepted by the human population.
This felt very relevant to today and the current issues around racism. The satire is obvious, the imagination amazing but somehow this felt a little uncomfortable.
After the brilliant Early Riser, this is only the second book of Jasper Fforde I have read and now convinced I should be reading more.
Following the Event fifty years ago, a handful of animals where anthropomorphised. Amongst these where rabbits who have now become ingrained into British society, but continually met with bigotry and fear.
Settled in the village of Much Hemlock, Peter Knox works as a rabbit spotter and in his spare time is a librarian in the local library which due to efficiency and not Government cutbacks, only opens for six minutes every two weeks. Peter's life changes when Mrs Constance Rabbit, an old college friend moves into the house next door with her latest husband and her two children.
Through the absurdist situation, Frorde takes a satirical look at Britain as well as throwing in as many rabbit jokes possible. Even though there are some dark moments in The Constant Rabbit, it is a well humoured and funny book which occasionally becomes a poignant read.
I have to admit I enjoyed this as much as his earlier book and like that found it seemed to come its own and pick up the pass as you pass the halfway point. This is well recommended and amongst the rabbit puns, has many levels to it.
I was given an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I’m a big fan of authors like Terry Pratchet, Robert Rankin, Jasper Fforde, and Tom Holt. Books written within the realms of the ridiculous, that make me smile, definitely get my vote. So when a new book by Jasper fforde comes out, about a society of anthropomorphised rabbits, I’m definitely on board.

The premise is really interesting. Decades ago an unexplained event led to a bunch of rabbits morphing into humanoid form. They’re still rabbits in essence, but just the size of humans and with the ability of human speech. Well these rabbits bred like the proverbial rabbit, and cut to present day where there are millions of anthropomorphised rabbits living in Britain. Still being the ‘sub-species’ though they live and work in a lesser capacity than most humans.

This book is a very intricately woven story about the prejudices that the rabbits face, their efforts to overcome it, and their ultimate acceptance that things are never going to change.

Interspersed with the usual Fforde humour, where Humans are often reffered to as ‘Fudds’ (a reference to Elmer Fudd), and a detailed description of the ‘Beatrix potter’ clothing range. There are also some harsh ‘close to the bone’ observations. Our protagonist works for a certain government department as a ‘spotter’, his job is to go through the database and identify certain rabbits. It’s a special skill, as to most humans, ‘All rabbits look the same’.

At a time when the subject of racism is very much in the forefront of everyones minds and in the news every day, this is an interesting book. He’s not making light of the subject of racism, far from it. His jibes are more at the state of the UK and it’s various political and ethical issues.

For example, in the book there is a group called ‘TwoLegsGood’ a supremacist factor. This group, on finding out that a certain rabbit has committed an act that THEY consider a crime, drag him from his house in the middle of the night and ‘jug’ him! This involves upending him in a forty-gallon drum of cheap gravy that had been seasoned with bay leaves, celery, thyme, juniper berries and red wine (I see you smiling there!)  It is later discovered to be a case of mistaken identity with TwoLegsGood showing no remorse, under the presumption he’s a rabbit and is bound to be guilty of something.

Funny right?

Now take out the fact the victim is a rabbit and the drum is filled with cheap seasoned gravy, and it’s not so funny anymore, it’s actually a serious and reprehensible crime.

That is the beauty of satire and the genius of this book.

A well thought out piece of satiric writing tackling the ‘hot potato’ subject of race. A light-hearted read with a serious message.
I’ve long been a fan of Jasper Fffffforde and his madcap sense of whimsy. The Thursday Next books could hardly have appealed to me more, with books acting as portals into their own stories. The opening quote of the new, non-series book, gave me false hope of more bookish fun – actually, ‘speed librarying’ suggested only anxiety, and plays little part in the story beyond the opening chapter.

Instead, we enter an alternate Britain which is about to mark the 55th anniversary of ‘The Event’: the time when several handfuls of rabbits anthropomorphised overnight. DNA tests cannot distinguish them from normal bunnies, but you wouldn’t get confused: the new lot, and several generations of their offspring, are tall as humans,  vaguely human-shaped, walk upright, and can talk and think better than most of the people currently going to pubs in a global pandemic. Ahem, sorry 😉

The allegory isn’t particularly deep as we delve into rabbit-phobia and political parties gaining power by playing on the fears of the human population that the Rabbit is trying to take over, sideline our human way of life, breed us into a minority, etc etc. In fact, to begin with I wasn’t sure I was really up for this kind of story. However, sticking with it and Ffffforde’s storytelling is its usual wonderful self, mixing the wacky with the serious message, even if the latter does get a bit heavy especially towards the end.

This isn’t my favourite of the author’s work by a long stretch, but it was a lot of fun to read. And if he has a slightly more serious message under than capers than usual, well, I think we’re living in those kinds of times. Life probably would be better following the Rabbit Way – although I’ll hold on to my thumbs, thank you very much!

Recommended, but with that caveat that it isn’t wholly lighthearted, despite the 6ft rabbits.
This is an excellent satire and it talks about our world in a humorous and entertaining way.
Because this is a brilliant and entertaining story but also a story that talks about racism, sovranism and the difficulties of accepting those who are different.
The anthropomorphic rabbits are a strike of genius and you cannot help loving Fforde's amazing world building and humour.
i laughed a lot and was moved a lot as this is a story that you can love or hate but doesn't leave you on the fence.
A brilliant, engrossing and entertaining story full of food for thought, highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
My thanks to Hodder & Stoughton for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘The Constant Rabbit’ by Jasper Fforde in exchange for an honest review. It was published on 2 July in various formats.

“England, 2020. There are 1.2 million human-sized rabbits living in the UK.”

That teaser alone had me excited about this stand-alone satire by Fforde. As I began reading it on publication day, I bought its audiobook edition, narrated by Andrew Wincott, and listened alongside reading the eARC.

Given its broad humour and satire it worked very well in the audiobook format. I lost count of the number of times that I was dissolving in tears of laughter.

The reason that there are 1.2 million human-sized rabbits in the U.K. is that 55 years ago the Inexplicable Anthropomorphising Event occurred and eighteen rabbits were transformed into rabbit/human hybrids. They can walk, talk and drive cars. They also have their own rich culture. Over the years their numbers have grown, which is of concern to some humans.

When a family of rabbits moves into the cozy little village of Much Hemlock, the villagers are not pleased and are determined that they must leave. However, their next door neighbours, Peter Knox and his daughter Pippa, are more welcoming. In actuality Peter had known Mrs Constance Rabbit when they were at university.

Peter is in a difficult position as he is employed by the Rabbit Compliance Taskforce (RabCoT) as a Rabbit Identification Operative (aka Spotter), a human with the rare ability to tell rabbits apart. He is expected to be leporiphobic, but the good pay and benefits led him to disguise his positive feelings about rabbits.

With the Anti Rabbit Party (UKARP) in power there is a plan for the enforced rehoming of all rabbits to a MegaWarren in Wales. There are also a number of Hominid Suprematist groups, the most violent of which is TwoLegsGood (2LG).

It isn’t a great stretch to understand what aspects of modern society are the target of Fforde’s satire. While ‘The Constant Rabbit’ is extremely clever and funny, its underlying message is a powerful one.

At one point Peter, Constance, and Patrick Finkle, a human founder member of the Rabbit Support Agency (RabSAg) discuss the role of satire: whether it is just “empty cleverness” or something more. Finkle reflects: “perhaps that’s what satire does - not change things wholesale but nudge the collective consciousness in a direction that favours justice and equality.”

So alongside the laughs and whimsy there are insights and wisdom and plenty of nudges in the direction of justice and equality. Fforde includes handy footnotes to clarify certain points of history and the like.

I could easily see this being heralded as the ‘Animal Farm’ of the 21st Century.

This was just wonderful, thought provoking and very highly recommended.
Peter Knox lives in a world where the Event resulted in rabbits becoming anthropomorphised - they are now over six-feet-tall and like to duel with pistols.
Most rabbits live in colonies, but some are permitted to live outside the colonies, like Doc and Constance Rabbit, Peter's new neighbours who have the quiet village of Much Hemlock in uproar.
The government sees the rabbits as pests, and Peter himself works as a Rabbit Spotter, using his talent to differentiate rabbits to catch those pretending to be someone else.
Peter has never thought of himself as leporiphobic (anti-rabbit), but he has never really done anything to aid the rabbit cause. Until now.
Peter finds himself caught between the rabbits and his employer.
Will Peter take a stand?

When reading the blurb for The Constant Rabbit I was most definitely intrigued, but I also wondered if this might be the one Jasper Fforde book that I might not enjoy - talking rabbits living in the UK seemed a bit of a stretch even with the author's genius imagination. However, I ended up really enjoying this and am very glad that I read it.
The protagonist, Peter Knox, lived a pretty mundane life until his new neighbours arrive. I couldn't help but like Peter and I felt a bit sorry for him when he was thrown in the deep-end and into crazy situations.
I wasn't sure I would be able to picture the rabbits as the author intended, but I did and I loved their traditions and how much the author had developed their culture.
While the plot did take a little while to get going, I enjoyed it and the storyline held my attention. I loved how the author always drops in the odd bit of foreshadowing here and there to keep you intrigued. I was surprised how invested I felt in what was happening. I found myself smiling a lot and laughed out loud several times.
The themes in The Constant Rabbit are very relevant right now and I found it very interesting how they were explored.
Jasper Fforde's books are always incredibly intelligent, witty and unique, and this was no different. The Constant Rabbit has firmly cemented Fforde's place as my favourite author. Only he could have come up with an idea as unlikely as this and make it work.

Overall, this was an enjoyable read that I would definitely recommend.
Witty. Insightful. Compelling. Fiendishly well written... Everything you have come to expect from a Jasper Fforde book. A little more satirical and politically-charged than his previous novels, the book draws many parallels with life in Brexit Britain and an increasingly polarised society. You have to be patient for the hallmark twists of fate and Fforde’s complex plot to reveal itself, but this is still the best book in this genre that I have read all year. Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to review this book.
Perhaps if I hadn’t read and loved the Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes series by Jasper Fforde this would have got a better rating as it stands compared to them I felt this book was lacking magic.

The whole of this story is a satire about the state of the UK as it stands now (albeit without the changes instigated by Covid-19) Various political issues are explored in a humorous way including fake news, Brexit, budget cuts, prejudice against anyone who appears “other” and how power can be abused by those in charge simply by how certain wording is interpreted. While taken to extremes the situation in Fforde’s UK was not unrecognisable when looking at the world today, in fact there are strong parallels to the Black Lives Matter protests and how the actions of the opposite sides of the debate are treated by law enforcement.

Sections of this book did make me laugh but to maintain a cohesive narrative featuring human sized rabbits was stretching things a bit far and some scenes just made me feel uncomfortable, the rabbit bikini and shower scene just didn’t work for me.

I liked the exploration of rabbit culture the need to burrow, the fight for mating rights, the peaceful protests, the open door policy of community inclusiveness and the simple joys of gambolling. In fact I would have liked to spend more time exploring the day to day life of the rabbits including those in the colonies compared to those living off colony.

This being Jasper Fforde there were (of course) literary references scattered throughout the story my favourite being the TwoLegsGood group of rabbit hating thugs as well as the Beatrix Potter lines of Rabbit clothing.

Overall I enjoyed the story but with some reservations.

Who would like this? If you can suspend your disbelief about anthropomorphised animals living alongside humans then this book provides a serious message in a humorous manner. If you can’t cope with giant rabbits this probably isn’t for you.
(I received a free copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

I’ve adored Jasper Fforde’s work for years, and love how clever and succinct his writing is. Sometimes subtle, sometimes hitting you in the face with it, but always with an undercurrent of humour and intelligence. ‘The Constant Rabbit’ is no different.

While similar in some ways to his Thursday Next series (alternate settings and absurd premise), the political and ‘racial’* content is completely new. Despite his usual tongue-in-cheek references, and occasional absurdity (addiction to carrots, bounding through someone’s house for a short-cut, and nicknames such as ‘Flopsy’, ‘Miffy’ and ‘Maccie-G’s’) the similarities to the racial discrimination happening today is incredibly close to the bone.

*rabbit discrimination

Peter Knox is a Spotter for RabCoT (Rabbit Compliance Taskforce), and after a particularly difficult day at work finds his life turned upside down when a rabbit he knew from years before turns up with her family and moves in next door. His boss is a fox, his colleague a weasel, and everyone around him hates rabbit. Well, they don’t hate rabbit, they just don’t like it when they move into their village and tear up the manicured lawns for their vegan propensities (possibly taking them out of the running for this year’s ‘Spick and Span Village’ award). And that ‘bunny’ with the tag on his ankle for getting caught burrowing (allegedly); rabbit like that don’t belong in this village. You know the type, right? Well, the country is full of people with the same ideas, and they can’t wait until the MegaWarren is finished so that all the rabbit in the UK can go and live there. The sooner the better.

I really enjoyed ‘The Constant Rabbit’, and have already added it to my book club’s ‘to read’ list for later in the year. I’ve missed Mr Fforde’s work recently, and this book shows he’s still ready and raring to go (although Thursday is still too far away for my liking!). *raises a glass of dandelion brandy* Cheers, Mr Fforde *falls over drunk*