Cover Image: Afterlife Crisis

Afterlife Crisis

This was a did-not-finish for me, I’m sorry to say. Which I feel guilty about, because the author clearly had an absolute blast writing it. But the same pleasure the author had in rendering all those super complicated sentences with overly-elaborate vocabulary that made this fun to read also made it hard to read.
For those who are fans of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy know that the tale was originally presented on the radio and the flowing nonsensical nature of that story is echoed here, with this story seeming to be more raw and stream of consciousness. The cleverness of the writing is fun and the wit is definitely dry.
When I first started this book I was mildly confused because I was in a very different setting than I would normally find myself. It was almost as though I was starting a sequel in the middle of the book. However, after some research, I came to the realization that I WAS in fact starting a sequel in the middle of the story. So I familiarized myself with the particulars of this otherworld, and realized that this was in fact, a book that was much like a Neil Gaiman or Douglas Adams piece. Very tongue in cheek, very sarcastic, and very funny.
The entire time I was not quite sure what was happening, but it was very entertaining. If you have read the first book, I am going to assume the entire book makes a lot more sense. However, I thought even having not read the first book, this one was very entertaining as well.
I had high hopes for this title, being described as a mix of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, but I'm sad to say that it didn't live up to my expectations.

While both Pratchett and Adams have a sometimes roundabout way of writing - a part of their charm - I felt that the writing in Afterlife Crisis became too convoluted, and too difficult to follow.
I had to look up both the book and the author several times, thinking I must've missed that Afterlife Crisis is a sequel, because the main character keeps referencing previous occurrences and *this* story just doesn't seem to make sense without being familiar with a (seemingly non-existant?) backstory.