Cover Image: Why Birds Sing

Why Birds Sing

Why Birds Sing by Nina Berkhout is a novel about love and song. I loved the cover of this novel, I mean it was simple but a great book cover. When Dawn Woodward has a flameout on stage and wants to be left alone. So when she finds out that her brother-in-law has cancer, and is staying with them things get more complicated, hard times await Dawn. This is a heartfelt novel about deep connections and finding music from deep within. It was a great read that I enjoyed even though the beginning felt slow to me a bit. Thank you Netgalley and ECW Press for giving me this opportunity.
Dawn doesn’t need complications in her life.  She’s busy brooding day after day over her flamed-out opera singing career, spending hours each day streaming her last, humiliating performance.  It wasn’t what she expected for herself, but she’s on hiatus now while her voice heals, and at least now she and her husband of five years, Ash, have time to start the family they’ve always wanted.  So the last thing she needs is her brother-in-law, Tariq, whom she barely knows, moving in with them.  Nor does she want to tutor a bunch of quirky, amateur whistlers in need of a coach.

Tariq, who didn’t even attend their wedding, nor did he stay long at Ash and Tariq’s father’s funeral, shows up the very next day, with African Grey Parrot, Tulip, in tow.  And Dawn, who storms down to her agent’s office after meeting with the whistling group, finds out that her contract with the opera company requires her to work or she doesn’t get paid.  So, Dawn trudges back to meet with the amateur siffleurs (whistlers), angry and short-tempered in her dealings with them.  And, she gets roped into taking Tariq to his chemotherapy appointments, as her husband can’t cancel his twice daily stops at his aging mother’s house, both breakfast and dinner, for a visit.
hat Tariq wished, without ever actually voicing his preference.

The novel is one of pain and loss, struggle and redemption, and finding that new path in life, as the one we thought we were on doesn’t always lead us where we thought.

#NinaBerkhout
#WhyBirdsSing
#NetGalley
I did not think I would like this book as much as I did! It has a bitter sweet ending but full of hope. During these times it makes you think of the human connection.
Her husband wants his brother Tariq to live with them. He rarely interacts with Ashraf.Tariq has cancer .Tariq is married to pretty blonde  . Dawn is not singing anymore
Dawn is an opera singer who had a terrible failure on stage and is currently unable to sing. She gets a job coaching a group of whistlers, the Wharblers. While trying to get her musical career back on track she also helps take care of her brother-in-law, Tariq, who has cancer and his companion Tulip, a parrot. Tariq, Tulip and the Wharblers become an essential part to Dawn’s story and she forms interesting and unexpected friendships with these characters.

I initially had a hard time connecting with the characters and the story started off slow for me. Throughout the book the characters started to grown on me and I really enjoyed this story. My favorite character in this book was definitely Tariq’s parrot, Tulip. She was just such an interesting, challenging and funny character and I loved that this bird played such a crucial role in the story.

This book also offers many interesting facts about birds, the world of music and many other topics. Even though, I had a slow start with it, I really enjoyed it in the end and would definitely recommend reading this book.

Thanks to the author, publisher and Netgalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Featuring a cast of unusual characters, including Tulip, a parrot, Why Birds Sing is a charming and unexpectedly touching story. Berkhout skillfully weaves in dashes of both humor and wisdom as she delves into the nitty-gritty of life - love, friendship, and purpose. It was a lovely read and one I thoroughly enjoyed. Highly recommend.  Thanks to Netgalley and ECW Press for the ARC.
This book is inspiring and I absolutely loved it!

Dawn Woodward, is an opera singer who had a disastrous failure on stage. Dawn gets a job leading a group of whistlers, the Wharblers. As she tries to get her career on track, her husband, Ash,  asks Dawn to take care of her brother-in-law, Tariq, who has cancer. Tariq's parrot, Tulip becomes a profound part of this story as Dawn forms unexpected friendships with her new companions.

My Thoughts: I loved how Dawn persevered through her troubling marriage and how all the character in this story lift her up. This book has so many interesting facts about music, birds, whales, and many other subjects.  I would absolutely recommend this book to anyone!

Thank you to NetGalley and ECW for the opportunity to read this book.
I will be posting my review on my social media handles on Pub Day!
Oh, how I loved this book. I already have a list of ten people I want to send it to, it literally has something for everyone. Opera, birding, whistling, a parrot, a love triange and a culminating competition. Flew through this and will be thinking about it for a while.
Berkhout's "Why birds sing" looks and sounds like it's going to be gorgeous but, overall, it's just unsatisfactory.
Thank you NetGalley and ECW for the eARC.
What a wonderful book this is, I absolutely loved it!
Dawn Woodward is an opera singer who had a disastrous failure on stage and has been miserably
staying home, until she gets the job of leading a group of whistlers, the Wharblers.  She can't whistle herself, but practices secretly at home, as well as trying to get her singing voice back.  Her husband, Ash, asks her to look after her estranged brother-in-law, Tariq, who has cancer. Tariq turns up with his parrot, Tulip.  They now have to try and keep Mina, her grumbling mother-in-law, away, as she would be heartbroken to know Tariq may be dying.
Tulip, in my humble opinion, is one of the best and most lovable characters in literature.  I can't remember another character I enjoyed as much as Tulip in my long reading history.
The Wharblers are a diverse and eccentric group.  When Dawn's marriage crumbles, Tariq, Tulip, the Wharblers and even Mina, offer her a way into a new future,
The story is uplifting and has so many interesting facts about birds, the musical world, whales, parrots and many other topics, it blew my mind.  Terrific!
Do yourselves a favour and read this book!