Cover Image: The Missing Pieces of Me

The Missing Pieces of Me

I requested this book based off of enjoying the debut novel from this author. The concept intrigued me, I understood how she could walk out of her relationship, but how can a young mum walk out and leave her baby? I started it today and finished it a few hours later. I loved the notion of Willow and how secretive she is, how we find out piece by piece like we’re following a trail. I loved Dustin and his complicated steps to becoming a full time, single parent. I thought Jake was a good twist. However, while it was resolved in a sense, it kind of all ended in one go. It was just over too soon for how it was wrapped up. I feel like there needed to be another chapter or even a few more to adapt to the new normal. Maybe an explanation of why she chose that day to leave specifically. Why she just left Willow when she already felt like a bad mum? Maybe even a couple more chapters exploring a new relationship for Dustin or even Willow. Something a little more. I guess I’m just the kind of reader that likes closure. I can’t wait for the next book, Amelia has a really interesting writing style.
I initially requested this book because I enjoyed her previous book, 'Every Colour of You' and I wasn't disappointed; the dual narrative worked ell and two characters had very different voices, making it easy to tell who was who between Willow and Dustin.
The characterisation was good, and the overall story dealt with some really difficult issues in a reasonable way, nothing felt contrived or exaggerated; Mandeville's writing has definitely matured, the structure of the narrative constantly kept you hooked and I honestly didn't guess the plot-line, which is always a good thing.
Although the novel centers on romance, it doesn't feel like a conventional 'romance', as not everything is as you would expect, which could appeal to readers that wouldn't usually read romantic novels. The main reason that I gave it 4 stars, not 5 was because as much as I really enjoyed it and empathised with the characters, I felt a little bit confused about their love story; it felt a little confusing at points, the growth from friends to lovers and finally the ending was a bit abrupt for me. There was so much built up on the end and I ended it feeling like I wanted more.
Amelia definitely has a way with words, so I look forward to her next novel.
This book was quite simply beautiful!
The characterisation throughout was perfect, and the storyline kept you hooked from start to finish. I loved the fact that this wasn't your typical love story and it highlighted other issues people can face too.
A poignant, delightful book...a definite must read!
I don't know what I was expecting when I set out to read this book - but it doesn't fall into the typical 'Romance' category. I enjoyed discovering how the characters had changed and developed through the dual narrative, especially as this meant that the characters, and their actions were explored through not just one point of view and as a reader you reveal how one person's opinion is not the whole story. I was also eager to uncover the truth as to why Willow had suddenly abandoned her boyfriend Dustin, and their daughter Zara without any notice, however I felt that the reasons were slightly underwhelming in the end. Moreover, the lack of details about Willow explaining to Dustin why she disappeared, and both their separate lives afterwards left me feeling a bit unsatisfied. Nevertheless, it was refreshing to read not just the typical break-up and get back together kind of romance, but a book which had lots of extra features, not all primary to the plot, but all contributing to create a interesting, unique read.
Really good read. Would recommend to friends and family. I could sympathise with characters (important for any fiction novel!) and looked forward to picking it up and reading the next few chapters! Interesting plot line and a good ending. Will look out for more novels by the author. Thank you.
Dustin returns home one day to find his partner Willow gone, leaving behind their baby daughter. Struggling to cope as a single dad he returns home to live with his mother and tries to find out where Willow has gone and why she left.
The story is told by both characters, Dustin in the present and Willows in the past.
When I saw the synopsis, I believed this book held so much promise but it didn’t really deliver. Nevertheless it was a decent read.
An enjoyable if somewhat drawn out book. Missing Pieces of Me is about Dustin and Willow , a young couple with baby Zara. One day Dustin arrives home to find baby Zara home alone and Willow missing. The story was interesting but I found myself at times skipping through pieces. Some characters such as Willow's gran and mother and father were under developed.  Dustin's mother is odd and this is not really explained. I did enjoy the book overall and would recommend.
This is the perfect read! You will hurl through every possible emotion whilst reading this but it’s definitely worth it. Brilliantly told story and great characters
I loved this book! I couldnt put it down and experienced every emotion went whilst reading it. The romance was magical! Perfect light read which you will finish in hours!
Wow, what more can I say about this book. It had me gripped till the last page. I went through every emotion whilst reading it. Looking forward to reading more
I was really intrigued by the premise of this book; a young man named Dustin returns home to the apartment he shared with his girlfriend Willow and their baby girl Zara to find no sign of his girlfriend save for a dear john letter and little Zara left all alone.

The book uses a dual perspective to tell the story. Dustin in the present time post Willow’s disappearance. And Willow’s in the past starting just when she meets Dustin.

And for the first 40% or so I was kept interested by the storyline. It was easy to empathise with Dustin and the loss of all he knew in the present timeline as he struggled to cope with Willow’s disappearance and with trying to be a single dad. And then the past PoV from Willow’s perspective really helped to illustrate how little Dustin actually knew about Willow. How she had been dealing with a lot of emotional turmoil.

One thing that I did note early on was how I felt that the meeting point and subsequent development of a romantic relationship between Willow and Dustin felt very underwritten to me. It was really a case of here are two characters and we as readers were just told that they loved each other rather than truly feeling that deep emotion that they allegedly had for each other.

But the plot was compelling and I was very keen to find out what it was that caused Willow to walk out on her family... but then the plot kept going on on a repetitive style fashion, kept teasing the background story reveal and I got so tired of it! I felt that the story was strung out for far too long and that it took much longer than necessary for the past storyline perspective to finally reach the point of when Willow disappeared. And then when it did happen... underdeveloped again!

This book suffered from a lot of underdeveloped ideas in my opinion.

To cope with being a single dad and dealing with Willow’s disappearance Dustin moved back home to live with his mother and sister. And many times in the book his father was alluded to in a negative manner..but we never were given clear insight as to why. Dustin’s mother frequently acted entirely irrationally with an almost pantomime-esque villain vibe... again underdeveloped, unexplained and frustrating! She was barely more than a stereotype instead of being a complex character with clear and authentic motivations. Instead she was written as a convenient plot device to create drama and tension.

And can we just lol at Dustin’s sister Alicia, the older boyfriend and the daddy issues that are only hinted at... hello another lazy stereotype! *eye roll*

Things weren’t much better on Willow’s side of the story. Her granny was flat as a pancake! No depth to her character outside of she was nice and liked to knit... And the background story to her parents that was eventually revealed during the book’s climax... so melodramatic and downright ridiculous! If this book had been written with more gravitas and emotion then maybe it wouldn’t have felt like a salacious soap opera... but the writing was prosaic at best, the characters mere pastiches and the storyline was sensationalist without any real heart.

Overall not my cup of tea

This book suffered from a lot of underdeveloped ideas in my opinion.

To cope with being a single dad and dealing with Willow’s disappearance Dustin moved back home to live with his mother and sister. And many times in the book his father was alluded to in a negative manner..but we never were given clear insight as to why. Dustin’s mother frequently acted entirely irrationally with an almost pantomime-esque villain vibe... again underdeveloped, unexplained and frustrating! She was barely more than a stereotype instead of being a complex character with clear and authentic motivations.  Instead she was written as a convenient plot device to create drama and tension.

Overall not my cup of tea

*An e-copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*
A book that keeps you guessing, got really interesting in the second half, really enjoyed this book and would/will recommend.
The synopsis for this story piqued my interest and I was looking forward to diving in. Told from dual points of view, in the past and the present, there is definitely a lot going on. The mystery of the story was kept right to the end when everything becomes clear and you understand why the characters behaved the way they did. It is well written, however, for me, it just didn't grab me. I wanted it to move on and had to stop myself from skipping parts to get to the end.

Dustin and Willow are both very young and come from troubled backgrounds, but they find love in each other. The characters are well written and very believable, but because of their youth also very frustrating at times. Their age is definitely their downfall when it comes to making the right choices and this comes across very well.

For me, this could have been a very good storyline, but I just didn't get the empathy for them that I wanted. I found them somewhat annoying and although I am sure some will love the story for me it was just lacking the magic.