Cover Image: To Tell You the Truth

To Tell You the Truth

To tell you the truth by Gilly MacMillan.
She was nine years old when her brother vanished in the woods near home. As the only witness, Lucy’s story of that night became crucial to the police investigation. Thirty years on, her brother’s whereabouts are still unknown.
A brilliant read.  Great story.  5*.
this book was full of surprises with a sad ending. i felt it was missing something, maybe more suspense, but it was good and i would like to read more from gilly macmillan.
This was a solid read and just as you think you know what's going to happen there is a twist and the plot goes a totally different way. 4 stars from me
This was my first Gilly MacMillan book, and I was certainly not disappointed. This book seemed to receive mixed reviews, but I can’t fault it in terms of what was delivered - an entertaining, gripping psychological thriller.

Lucy Harper has spent her life hiding from her past and has just begun to try and re-write her future when she is unexpectedly forced to re-evaluate reality when past and present collide in a twisting unravelling of lies, history, and characters.

All in all, this was an enjoyable book and I will certainly look out for other Gilly MacMillan books out there.
Thank you for the opportunity to read this book and sorry I took so long.
A great psychological thriller, although a little slow paced for me but a good storyline and believable characters.  I would recommend and would like to read other books by Gilly.
A very slow psychological thriller. Though well plotted the story and the pace did not grip me and so I could not finish it.
riend loves her. So I thought I’d give it a go.
I think I chose the wrong novel to start with.

I love psychological thrillers/ whodunnit type books, I barely move away from those genres because that’s what keeps me locked in, it’s what I enjoy.

I believe this is book has this premise, but in all honesty I got a quarter of the way in and I couldn’t finish it.
My new thing is to not waste my time on books I don’t enjoy.
The main character in this book is a successful author, who’s main character Eliza is also her imaginary friend/ alter ego. Some people will love this. Me, not really- it made me cringe inside every time I read a part where Eliza has a conversation with her.
I didn’t get to the mystery part, I struggled with the concept and couldn’t get passed it.
Now my friend gave this 5*’s. She loved it, so if you’re more open minded than me - give this a go!
I got a quarter way in and nothing exciting had happened so it wasn’t for me.

Thank you Netgalley for my free ARCcopy of this book in return for an honest review!
Another startling and compelling Gilly Macmillan. Her books are so hooky and I adore her characters. Excellent!
I really do enjoy a good mystery or thriller and this was no exception. I would highly recommend this to anyone who also enjoys mysteries and thrillers.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. My first by this author and it won’t be my last!. Gripping and twisty with great writing and characters, I was hooked from the beginning and couldn’t put it down. Highly recommend!
I finally got around to reading To Tell You The Truth and WOW, this book really didn't go the way I expected it to. You have to give it to the unreliable narrator though. I was constantly questioning what she said and debating what was going on. Such an enjoyable book - I hope to read more of the author's backlist.
I really enjoyed this book. When Lucy was 9 years old her little brother disappeared in the nearby woods. Lucy was with him that night but has never told the whole truth about what happened. Now grown up, she is a best selling crime writer. When her husband, Dan, goes missing it sets off a chain of events, but it seems Lucy is not the only one keeping secrets. This is a real page turner which will keep you guessing to the end. Thanks to NetGalley for a preview copy.
Copied to Goodreads.
My thanks to NetGalley and Random House for a copy of “To Tell The Truth” for an honest review.

I have enjoyed other books by Gilly MacMillan but .on  the whole I found this a disappointing read
It started well, but as the story developed it became a little confusing , it didn’t help that the characters were all so unlikable ,and I just hoped that the ending would save the book .Unfortunately it didn’t have a satisfactory  finish , and left many loose ends unanswered.
Overall an average read
I really enjoyed this book.  The details being leaked every so often throughout the story keep you constantly wondering and suspicious.  The end was a bit meh if I'm honest bit the story was good enough for it not to ruin the book.
Lucy Harper is a very successful author of a crime series featuring DS Eliza Grey. She is married to Daniel who has aspirations of literary success but has not succeeded so he manages aspects of Lucy’s life. Daniel is jealous of her success which manifests itself in various ways and then one night after a disagreement Daniel disappears. Lucy has a past she has kept hidden. When she was nine her younger brother Teddy, aged three also disappears at solstice celebrations in Stoke Woods near her family’s home near Bristol. Now her past and present collide and separating truth from lie, suspicion and disbelief and fact from fiction is a fascinating quest. The story is told by Lucy and is interspersed with the night of Teddy’s disappearance and the search to find him.⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
A great read.  Didn't really know the outcome until the end.  I hadn't ready Gilly MacMillan before but will definitely look out for other titles.
This twisted story is a master class in an unreliable narrator and gaslighting. Lucy Harper is a bestselling author of a detective series who has a devastating past. When Lucy was younger her little brother went missing and since she was the last one with him the police made her the center of their investigation. However, Lucy’s imaginary friend, Eliza, was there to make sure that Lucy kept some of their secrets and her brother was never found. Lucy is now married to Dan and while she has been keeping secrets from him it turns out that he has been keeping some from her too.

This book is very much a character centered mystery and most of the drama is related to Lucy’s inner monologue with Eliza or with Lucy’s reactions to events. There was a lot that I loved about this book including how our main character is an author and the behind the scenes look into that kind fo life. I have never thought about how taxing it is to be an author and just how deeply it affects their lives. I also loved that because of Eliza we are never quite sure if Lucy is fully gripped in reality or in her head. I also enjoyed that because Dan and Lucy live on a small private road that the mystery felt like it had a locked room trope which is my favorite. I do want to give some trigger warnings for emotional abuse and the many instances of gaslighting in this book can be a lot to deal with.

Unfortunately, despite how much I was loving this book the ending was a major let down. There are two big mysteries in this story and both had very underwhelming conclusions. I was actually angry at this book after I finished it because it had the potential to be a five star and I felt like I had been duped by what the author did at the end. I don’t know if other people had such a strong reaction as I did but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Since this is such a character heavy mystery I would only recommend this to someone who is a character driven reader. Although, to be honest, I’m not sure if I would recommend this book at all since I really didn’t care for the ending. I guess if you are a lover of mysteries and are intrigued by the idea of an unreliable narrator and aren’t put off by a possible bad ending then you should pick it up. The writing was really well done and I definitely plan to read more Macmillan in the future.
my first book by gilly macmillan and sure not the last!! i don't want to talk too much about the plot since this has already been done!
but the feeling that you get while reading it!!! woooow this is totally messed up and you never know who is the illusional one here! i loved lucy thought in the beginning i thought her too dependent on her husband daniel.
but just wait and see!!!
a psychological thriller deluxe!!
thanks #Netgalley and #Random House UK, Cornerstone for my ARC
Lucy Harper, successful author of a series if detective novels, is married to  Dan who suddenly goes missing. This isn't the first time someone close to Lucy has gone missing. As a horrid, precocious, sneaky, lying, devious nine-year old her  younger brother Teddy, also goes missing. She'd sneaked out of the house to watch a Summer Solstice bonfire in the woods and taken Teddy with her. He became tired, she became irritated so she left him in a underground bunker, and would you believe, when she went back later he had vanished.  Suspicion fell on Lucy, and continues to do so when Dan goes missing.

Flawed characters are all well and good – who wants to read about someone who is positively perfect in every way – a Mary Poppins of a person – but Lucy, our narrator, is pathetic. Dan, having no money of his own, spends a huge chunk of hers buying an enormous house without consulting her, then installs her in it. Despite the fact that she hates it – it's on the doorstep of her childhood home and all the memories that go with it – she just puts up with it.  She has no friends at all – never has had – oh, I tell a lie. She has Eliza her imaginary friend who has been faithfully by her side since very early childhood.  She's even the heroine in all of Lucy's books.

This is sooo slooow, it's like plodding through porridge in one of those old iron diving suits. There is no light relief as Lucy stumbles through life with the trusty Eliza taking over when things get too much. The ending is so unbelievable it's just plain silly.

To tell you the truth I disliked this, but Netgalley sent me a copy and I felt that, having abandoned so many recently, I should finish at least one.
4.75⭐️
A new author to me.
The main character is Lucy a best selling crime author whose protagonist is based on her childhood imaginary friend.
She is a little different, still having conversations with her imaginary childhood friend. Her husband seems to totally control their lives, and enjoy spending the money from her success.
The story moves between 2 time frames when Lucy was 9, and the present as she has completed her latest novel.

Lucy comes across as being a bit flaky, a bit distracted, naive, gullible, but very likeable. Her husband as very controlling and manipulative.

The writing style is chatty, very easy going,it has a charm about it.
The older time frame however is written in the second person which feels a little odd when reading it.

I loved that the main character is a best selling crime author.
The plot has a good complexity to it it feels real. It intertwines an event from Sophie’s past with one from the present. It’s really well written,
It’s dark, creepy in places, always riveting.  I was totally engaged with Sophie’s character. I applaud the ending, not what I was expecting.