Cover Image: The Nesting

The Nesting

Dark and compelling, The Nesting had me on the edge of my seat until the very end.

Perfect for the cold winter nights
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book. This was an excellent read.
Thoroughly recommended
Once more Cooke delivered a gripping gothic thriller. I really love her writing and it always has me holding my breath.

I liked the pace on this one and I liked the constant suspense of trying to figure out the killer. Touching mental health issues is also something that I liked and how the author had her characters dealing with it. The twists and turns of the story were captivating and the ending was truly satisfying!

Definitely an addition in your thriller list!
Thank you netgalley for a chance to read and review this book.

I will not be able to complete this as I just couldn’t force myself to get through the book. This could be because its not my usual style, or just because I couldn’t relate to the main character who is a complete doormat.
This is gothic suspense looking a nordic folklore with mysteriois happenings.

The story jumps back and forth between time lines aureilas life before her death, and then the family returning to the site in which she died and trying to continue with their life and continue the development of the family house.

You do get chills and makes you question about the damage to the environment and how it will seek its revenge.

I would love to give this 4 stars at it did get me gripped, wondering what happened. But at the end there was to many unknown answers but also some actions didn't fit with the character. Though despite this is worth reading.

Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with an ARC for an honest review.
Oh, my golly (as Sophie would say)! I really enjoyed this. I love myth and legend and shadowy things that go bump in the night. And fjord, in this case.

I liked Lexi a lot, and also the girls. The sad lady had shivers creeping up and down my spine, especially when I tried o explain her to my husband. I do have one question, who was the body on the hill? I don't think that was ever really established, which worries at me a bit. But well done, I'm going to look up some of C.J. Cooke's other offerings now.

Thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for my ARC!
I had been looking forward,reading this book for some time and I was not disappointed! The Nesting is an atmospheric, spooky thriller with a fantastic cast
of interesting, likeable and , importantly, relatable characters. The setting of Norway, the vastness and the beauty was truly brought to life in all its terrifying splendour . This managed to be heart wrenching and heart warming at the same.time and kept me gripped from the beginning until the very last page. Highly recommended!
Lexi’s life is falling apart when she happens to overhear a job opportunity to be a nanny to 2 little girls in Norway. She has no experience in this area, but the stranger she overhead talking about it does. When she realizes the stranger isn’t going to apply for the job, she steals her resume and application and takes on her identity.

Upon arriving in Norway, Lexi is awed by the house the father of the girls is building, but soon starts to notice a strange and terrifying woman figure around the house. The children are still reeling from the death by Suicide of their mother months before and things don’t seem as straight forward as she was led to believe.

The Nesting was a meandering, creepy story. While the story moved at a fairly slow pace, the creep factor kept it going. I’m totally going to have nightmares about the Sad Lady. I absolutely love stories set in cold places, I’m fascinated by them and this one did a great job of building the right atmosphere.  Giant elks, rivers that hide folklore monsters and nature that may hold a grudge. My husband now has no hope of ever cutting down another tree on our property. Just in case 😅

The mystery in this one, although interesting, took a back seat to the horror aspect for me. I wasn’t quite as invested in how and why Aurelia died as I was with who or what the Sad Lady was and whether the Nordic folktales were coming true.
It's the time of year for dark nights, cosy fires and ghost stories, and The Nesting is a highly entertaining addition to the genre.. The Norwegian setting is superb and the main character a joy to read about. Recomended.
Wow, this is horror as it should be. Many books in this genre are full of cliches but not this one. Instead, The Nesting is character driven and fabulously eerie without being too gory. I quickly began rooting for the characters, increasingly worrying about them and hoping they’d be alright. Loved it and highly recommend!
As the nights are drawing in this is a great read if you're looking for low level tension & creep factor threaded through an intriguing mystery.

This is a story made up of unreliable narrators & disturbing happenings. I particularly enjoyed Lexi & Gaia, their relationship & their characters really drove the story for me. Within the story there are also elements of Nordic folk stories which I found fascinating & really added to the tension with that strangely childlike quality but more in a Grimms fairytale sinister way.
Stunningly atmospheric and emotionally conquering!

Thank you Harper Fiction and Net Galley for the eCopy.
A truly great horror - it was not full of clichés, blood, guts and gore and no spending the whole time running terrified into the night. This story shows off the characters so well with so much richness to each person you can’t help but want the best for each one of them. The story is tense and scary and you are routing for the all to turn out well...Its a really fantastic book.
A truly atmospheric thriller that incorporates themes of nature and living through grief and loss.
Loved the Norwegian setting and the small elements of folklore that were threaded into this story.
This book is full of unreliable narrators and honestly quite unlikeable characters so it makes it interesting to read from both the past and present timelines.

If I could compare this book to anything I would say a mix of The Haunting of Bly Manor but set in Norway and even a touch of Riley Sager.

The only thing that let it down a little was the ending for me, and the plot surround Derry. I just didn't feel like it had enough fleshing out to really sum up such a promising and atmospheric story. The reasoning of sleepwalking felt a little thin to me and the ending so abrupt it was slightly jarring.
But apart from that I really enjoyed the reading experience.
Alexa is struggling with her mental health and is currently very down on her luck. She overhears a conversation about a nanny’s job in Norway and craftily manages to steal the job  details and the identity of Sophie Hallerton, who is a nanny and applies for the job which to her astonishment she gets. She’s to work for architect Tom Faraday who is struggling in several ways. First of all he’s grieving the loss of his wife Aurelia who has recently died, secondly to look after his young daughters Gaia and Coco and thirdly to build a dramatic environmentally friendly cliffside house in Norway. The story is told Then by Aurelia and Now by Lexi who is posing as Sophie.

There’s a lot I enjoy in this chilling tale. The start most certainly makes you sit up and pay attention and want to figure it out. I love the Norwegian location and landscape which feels alive and adds a unique atmosphere. The premise, plot and characters are well thought out, I like the way it’s written, it’s clever, smart with injections of dark humour in the narrative. There are some scenes that are almost tragi-comic especially at the start and this contrasts starkly with the puzzling events in Norway. I love the folklore and superstitions and inclusion of Norwegian folk tales some of them send shivers down the spine but add an interesting dimension and an explanation of the occurrences. I especially like the legend of the nøkk , the water spirits. At times things become sinister, the ghostly elements raise the hairs on the back of your neck, with characters having intense dreams,  hallucinations or visions which defy logical explanation which leads to a narrative chock full of atmosphere. There’s a thought provoking environmental aspect of a difficult build and what the author creates is like a war, a battle with Mother Nature who is in revolt. There are some other issues such as mental health and grief.

Whilst I enjoy the majority of the book there are times when the tempo dips, for example there is too much detail on the house build. The ending is a bit predictable but it is enjoyable.

With thanks to NetGalley and especially to HarperCollins, Harper Fiction for the much appreciated arc in return for an honest review.
Now this is how you write horror. No cheesy cliches, no constant gore, no spending the whole time running in fear. This story is character driven with so much depth to each person you can’t help but feel for them all. You are tense and scared not because of the terrifying thing in the dark but because you truly want the characters to be ok. Building that sort of connection in a book is a wonderful thing.
The fear this book invokes is so believable it almost feels familiar, so it’s difficult to put down until it concludes. 10/10, all the stars, loved it.
This book is full of mystery, and suspense. C. J. Cooke has summoned me into the story, dragged me to the green landscape of Norway. I love how detailed and intriguing the author has written. This is my first read of her works but definitely will not be my last!
Oh biy this was such a good read, it was dark atmospheric and  gothic and I loved it I couldnt stop reading as I had to know what happened even if I was terrified, I cant wait to get my hands on more books by C.J Cooke
Lexi is desperate, she has no where to go and no one who cares about her. So when fate hands her the chance to go to Norway to be a nanny she grabs it even though she is not the person who everyone assumes she is. Confused you won't be! The family she goes to work for has been struck by tragedy, leaving a darkness hanging over their lives. Lexi finds herself being drawn into this darkness and begins to doubt her sanity.

This is a multi-layered novel which blends the present with Norways folkloric past, with Nature playing a huge role in the story. It deals with difficult subjects ...... post natal depression, suicide, jealousy to name but a few. It's also populated with characters who are difficult to like yet it works as people are complex beings! This is a perfect supernatural thriller for dark winter nights.
The Nesting combines elements of a psychological and gothic thriller, adds a smattering of unsettling Nordic folklore and mixes them together in this ambitious but ultimately frustrating attempt at a modern chiller.  It is also one very busy novel that requires a hefty suspension of disbelief which begins with twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Ellis recovering from a failed suicide attempt only to be dumped by the boyfriend whose home she lives in.  Effectively homeless, Lexi overhears a young woman discussing applying to be a nanny in Norway and her ears prick up.  Suicidal as she is, she somehow finds the energy to steal the young woman’s name, CV and references and following a week in a women’s shelter turn up for interview and answer a few cursory questions to secure the job.  Posing as Sophie Hallerton with a nursing degree, the ability to deliver a Montessori education and a certificate in vegan cookery there is no sign of the fragile woman of a week before when Lexi arrives in Norway.

The job entails looking after the daughters of high-concept architect, Tom Faraday, who is returning to Norway to recommence building on ‘Aurelia’s Nest’, a family home named after his wife who committed suicide just nine months previously.  Against her expectations Lexi falls in love with infant Coco and six-year-old Gaia but the more she learns about the ominous circumstances that wrecked Tom’s previous attempt at building a home (‘Basecamp’) and Aurelia’s death from housekeeper Maren gives her cause for concern.  When a series of strange happening begin that include finding animal footprints inside the house, strange moaning sounds from the basement, visions of a strange ‘Sad Lady’ also seen by Gaia and deceased Aurelia’s diary following the birth of Coco turning up Lexi starts to worry that the children could be in serious danger.  Combine these with reading Gaia rather sinister Norwegian folk fairytales and Maren’s ominous warnings about the destruction of Basecamp being payback for humans interfering with Mother Nature and it all gets a bit hectic.

The story follows a ‘Now’ and ‘Then’ dual narrative, the present day component predominantly told by potentially unreliable Lexi in the first person and the past component made up of snapshots into Tom’s increasingly doomed first build along with extracts from Aurelia’s diary.  The plotting is patchy and things occur which do not always lead anywhere, making for a not entirely coherent whole with deviations from anything requiring a potentially tricky explanation!  In fact there is so much happening, much of it not followed up on, that it’s hard to make out the authors intention and see the wood from the trees, let alone the fjord!  The reader doesn’t really learn anything significant about Lexi’s own troubled childhood until much further into the novel and the main source of narrative tension is derived from her suspicions that husband Tom had a hand in Aurelia’s death and her determination to protect the children.  The eventual conclusion is strangely neat given all the events of the novel and left too much unaddressed for me to swallow or make for a wholly satisfying read.

By far the most interesting aspect of the novel is the obviously well-researched elements of Nordic folklore which, when combined with snapshots of the landscape outside of the lodge, do evoke an oppressive atmosphere.  Disappointing the novel fails to weave these native myths into the overarching mystery of Aurelia’s death and they sit alongside in a disappointingly unconvincing manner.