Cover Image: The Nesting

The Nesting

I cannot explain how much I loved this beautifully written and wonderfully eerie novel.

'The Nesting' begins with Lexi, who, following a failed suicide attempt, jumps at the opportunity to pose as someone else in order to take up a nannying position in Norway. When she arrives, she immediately falls under the spell of the place, and is enchanted by her charges, Gaia and Coco. Their mother, Aurelia, recently committed suicide, and their grief-stricken father - Tom, a talented architect - has thrown himself into building a one of a kind house in her memory.

Then strange things begin to happen: Gaia experiences night terrors and talks about a Sad Lady with holes for eyes, who her mother could see as well; Tom's construction site is plagued with mysterious happenings after he accidentally floods a river with poison.

When Lexi finds Aurelia's diary, she begins to suspect that not only did Aurelia not commit suicide, but that there may be something more sinister afoot than she could ever have imagined...

Part psychological thriller, part gothic novel, I LOVED the way this beautifully written story wove so many threads together to create an absolutely stunning plot. The Norwegian folklore angle was both fascinating and right up my alley, as was the gorgeously realised setting, which was almost a character in its own right. I loved the beautifully drawn characters, and genuinely had no idea what was going to happen at the end and whether the supernatural element was going to turn out to be a combination of tricks, mirrors and mental illness or an actual plot element (I'll let you see for yourself);

The biggest compliment I can think of paying to an author is that I wish I'd written their book - and oh my goodness, is this one I wish I'd written. I couldn't put it down, and will be thinking about this story for a long time to come. Beautiful, strange, and intricate: I loved it.

Thank you to NetGalley and to the publisher, who provided me with an advance copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.
There's *a lot* going on in this book: depression and suicide, motherhood, a suspicious husband, cutey kids, wild animals, possession, a diary with pages ripped out... and a real, honest monster!

I found this very slow to get going and we have to suspend a lot of disbelief that a woman who's just tried to commit suicide, who is depressed and on medication, who can barely drag herself out of bed manages to impersonate a trained nurse and qualified nanny and be given a job - I mean office temps probably have more rigorous interviews than someone living in the home and responsible for kids!

With the usual 'now' and 'then' split narrative, this isn't doing anything wildly original - it's a bit 'The Turn of the Key' and a bit of lots of similar modern Gothic-y, troubled female style books. I think I've read too many of them to get excited over this one - sorry!
#TheNesting #NetGalley
C J Cookie's best work till date.
Lexi isn’t telling the truth about who she is? Escaping to the remote snows of Norway was her lifeline. And all she wanted was to be a part of their lives.
But soon, isolated in that cold, creaking house in the middle of ancient, whispering woods, Lexi's fairytale starts to turn into a nightmare.
With darkness creeping in from the outside, Lexi’s fears are deepening. Lexi knows she needs to protect the children in her care.
I loved the characters as well as narration of the story.
Thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins UK Harper Fiction for giving me an advance copy of this psychological thriller.
So tense so chilling I picked up this so well written so creepy read. Could not put it down.an author and a book I will be recommending.#netgalley #harpersuk
Ooh I just loved this, creepy and taut. I feel it would make a great film, the witting was so rich I could see all the places in my head. I love all the gothic tropes, the front cover is fab too!
Just superb!
Lexi has had a difficult life and one she has tried to end because she felt like she couldn’t find a way out. A chance and fleeting encounter on a train gives her the opportunity to escape what is dragging her down and she fraudulently obtains a job as a nanny to two little girls whose father is building an ambitious house in Norway. What could be more perfect for her? A new beginning, a chance to write her Scandi Noir novel...........
However, once there, she discovers that there isn’t just the expected sadness of the children’s mother having apparently committed suicide, but an environment that can be cold and unforgiving, even malicious.
I loved the character of Lexi. She could have easily been ‘ordinary’ but she has a streak of steely self-preservation running through her and her backstory is filled in further on in the book, making the choice to become a nanny and the bond she has with the two girls even more poignant.
The descriptions of the landscape in which Tom is determined to build his architecturally innovative house are fantastic. The pacing of the book always makes you want to read on, which isn’t a brilliant idea at certain points when it’s 1am and there’s a woman in the kitchen who isn’t quite........right......
Fabulously spooky in places, crisp dialogue and keeps secrets to be revealed close to its chest until the time is right - I was gripped from the beginning.
Off to look for more books by this author, thank you for the chance to discover her.
This book is fantastic. I have absolutely loved it and been completely gripped by this one.
This is definitely a read I will be recommending this one.
Thank you to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for the arc of The Nesting by C.J Cooke.

This follows a woman named Lexi who has broken up with her boyfriend and whom is practically homeless and has no where else to go so that When a nannying position becomes available and open out of the blue randomly, she does whatever she can to ensure that she gets the job no matter what....  She ends up Travelling all the way to the Fjords which is in Norway, She is really is unaware of whatwill  awaits  her when she gets there. Who is this Sad Lady that Gaia keeps pointing out? Who keeps calling her in the middle of the night??? and why???

This was a great read, read it within a few days and It had me hooked from line to sinker to the end... it was so gripping and i really enjoyed it, definitely recommend to anyone.

5 Stars⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
spoiler alert ** There's a lot to like in this book..
I think I'd buy it based on the name and cover alone.
The setting,in beautiful remote part of Norway.
A dream house being built.
Not knowing of a character is actually mad or not.
Suspicion on quite a few of the characters.
An out of bounds basement.
The Norwegian folk tales.
A possible curse on the building project.
A ghostly creature haunting the house.
I liked all of these things.
However,for me,the pacing never built up the tension enough.

So,for me,this was an enjoyable read,but didn't live up to my hope that it was going to be a creepy one.
This isn’t my usual genre of book, but I was really intrigued by the blurb. I did enjoy it, and loved the setting, the lore and the atmospheric feel to the book. What I didn’t Love was the ending, it felt so disjointed and didn’t really flow with what I knew about the characters, or what the author told me. Bit of a let down