Cover Image: The Traitor's Child

The Traitor's Child

this was a realyl good read, the characters were great and I really enjoyed trying to figure out the mystery going on. I look forward to more from the author.
This is not a light read.  The detail of the differing story threads builds the story from a brothers' feud to the search for a daughter by her father.  The back story's history is built through the chapters as Mark Townsend takes his characters through time and reveals secrets long thought forgotten.  Definitely a thriller that requires readers to think and draw conclusions in the manner of Dan Brown's writing style.

A very good read.  I'd not read any of this author's titles before so my TBR pile is going to get larger.
This is a story with a religious foundation. There are three parts to the story, which crosses timeframes:  Peter and Eric van Kroot are two brothers who hate each other but find a secret bond that ties them together and may possibly destroy the church; Hannah is an orphan in the hands of nuns who run the orphanage where she lives and who abuse her—and is Eric’s unknown (to him) daughter; the last concerns the secret that Eric and his brother share which might destroy the church. Once the story gets going, many new secrets/truths about the church and culture as well as the brothers and their lives across different timeframes emerge.  It seemed difficult to see, as I read along, how they all could possibly come together, but they did in the end. Thus, I found the story confusing at times.  I also felt that the story of Hannah had enough substance and interest in it to be a story in itself rather than part of a book.  Still, the story is exciting and interesting, especially if you enjoy reading about secrets that can change things considerably. I received this from NetGalley to read and review.
Thank you to Netgalley, John Hunt Publishing and Mark Townsend for this e-copy in return for my honest review.  Great setting and plot, filled with secrets and a great cast of characters.  This book was a quick read for me as it's definitely a page turner.
I enjoy religious writing (both fiction and non-fiction) and I live in the Netherlands, so when I read the description, I had high hopes for The Traitor's Child. However, this book was not for me and I stopped reading after a few chapters.

The plot was in the style of Dan Brown with three threads of stories interwoven so it was clear that the author was attempting a Da Vinci Code type scenario. However, the writing was so amateurish that I lost interest in the plot and gave up trying to read this. The description of the 'evil Catholic nuns' abusing the orphans was so overblown and caricaturish it really put me off this book.
Hannah is an orphan who suffers a great deal of abuse from the nuns at the convent where she was left. Across the globe, Eric is a man with a score to settle with his brother, Peter. Told in different time periods, the book is confusing to begin with as we aren't sure how these are all connected, but as it goes on we find out many secrets about the history of the church as well as Christianity and Judaism in this fanciful (yet realistic) re-telling of the weeks leading up to the crucifixion of Jesus. While my attention waned a little in the middle, the end was completely satisfying and brought everything together!
An engaging book which follows three time lines, which at first seems disjointed, but soon becomes clearer. The story goes back and forth between Hannah who is in an orphanage and Eric, her father, who is searching for her and the mystery of an  ancient scroll. There are twists and turns, with a surprise ending and a fanciful re-interpretation of what happened after the death of Jesus Christ. Excellent writing. This is a great read; I would rate it 5 out of 5.
This book has an interesting story-line and totally believable characters who I became completely invested in.
I like the 3 timelines and how they were intertwined.
But the later third of the book became predictable and with some "hammy" dialogue that I speed read just to get to the ending I knew was coming.
OMGoodness what an amazing read. It got me hooked from the outset. I read it in two sessions. A great twist on a religious theme -  but don't let this put you off. Certainly the twist gave me a lot of food for thought. It is beautifully written. It certainly lets the reader appreciate the truly Christian message and reminds us those who appear to be " most Christian" are often most cruel and unkind. Well done Mark Townsend for a gripping story -  I cannot wait for your next masterpiece.
Hannah grew up in the orphanage. All the nuns know her. They k ow her name is Hannah, so why do some of them call her Maggie? It's hard to figure out. Of course the orphanage is a hard place with austere conditions. Not enough food, hard work, harsh punishments and even harsher nuns. Their is Sister Simon, she is definitely a favorite. She doesn't tell and she has a kind way of treating g the girls. She listens too, and she's very patient.
A scroll has been hidden for many years. What this scroll has to say will change the world in so many ways. The Catholic church is not happy. They want to find it first so they can hide the real truth. Nate knows his family history and he will find the scroll and share it with the world.
These two stories will become entwined to make one story. Hannah will discover why the nuns called her Maggie and Nate will find what he's looking for.
It's a fast paced, well written and gripping story that kept me hooked till the end.
I loved the dual storyline, the style of writing and the well thought characters. The plot kept my attention and made me turn pages as fast as I could.
Highly recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine.
The Traitor’s Child’ is a mystery/historical fiction, with some interesting and engaging aspects to keep readers turning the pages to uncover the secrets many of the characters seem to be hiding. The basic idea of the plot is a good one and there are many positives in terms of the storyline and characterisation, however there are times where the pace is a little loose and the language a bit repetitive and obvious. The interweaving of various timescales and characters’ lives is a plus for the most part, though it is not always as lucid as it could be - bear with it though as it is a worthwhile read overall, particularly in its shock tactics and questioning of religion and the teachings of the Christian church.
This was a surprising read, as I wasn't sure what to expect form it and it was definitely an enjoyable read. The story is told in two different timelines -Amsterdam in the late 1800s and Wales in the 1970s which are interconnected into a big family secret. I am actually considering reading it a second time as I get the feeling it's one of those novels with hidden details. A fast, enjoyable read that I'd recommend to anyone looking for a good mystery book.

Disclosure: I would like to thank the publisher for my advanced reader copy of the book. This is my honest review.

There have been times when I've started a book, then put it down because I get bored with it. This is not the case with "The Traitor's Child." A riveting read!  Read the book, you won't be disappointed!
What a cracker! This one had me gripped and was unputdownable. The message behind it needs to be heard in this world. I highly recommend this book. The characters are well-drawn and believable and the story has pace. As other reviewers have said, this would make a great film.
This was an easy book to get into as the separate storylines were interesting and well written. I became more caught up in the story the further I read and had to stay up late to finish it because I wanted to know how it ended. Everything tied up well, although the last bit felt a bit like a sermon.
What a story! An amazing read which I found totally absorbing - didn’t want to put the book down but also didn’t want it to end! Well written & wonderfully gripping! In my opinion it’s up there with the best of them!
Looking forward to this author's next book!
Highly recommended to everyone who enjoys gritty, haunting novels in the style of Karen Maitland. Well written, fast paced, and delivered from an insider’s perspective, this is a book I enjoyed tremendously!
I picked this book up and started to read from start to finish without being able to put it down. It is such an exciting story that I was not able to stop. Very interesting historical views on the story of Jesus, his followers, a lost child and her story. Highly recommended and very exciting.
An interesting story, that could very well be true... I like the way the book is set up.. it moves from one character to  another in such a way that enables you to get to "know" the character better...  I found myself asking questions about the way back when days of regligion, It drew my interest into the beginnings of the church and how the "badness" within it has expanded over the years, slowly dissolving the goodness... In the end, my heart so wants what happened in the book to be true... Even though this is a fictional book I will take away from it, not only the fabulous story, but hope too... we do not see the whole or true story of history ever, so lets take the positive "stories" and run with them... :) Thanks Mark for a fabulous read, can't wait to start reading the other book I have on file of yours...

#TheTraitorsChild #NetGalley