Cover Image: Summer in the City

Summer in the City

A sweet summer romance.
Stephen is working in New York for the summer. Noelle is a writer of fiction but her latest needs a lot of work. They bump into each other at a bar. Stephen's brother Nick is the boyfriend of Noelle's best friend Beth.
Stephen's dad left when he was 3 but after his mum's death he needs to track him down as she left him something in her will. Noelle helps him find his father and to come to terms with the person Stephen is now.
At times I wanted to knock their heads together with the misunderstandings but it all worked out just fine.
Thanks to Netgalley and Orion for the opportunity to read.
Well written but it wasn't really for me, don't take that to heart as you may really enjoy it. Set in NYC.  I will give this 4 stars
I'm a sucker for a book set in NYC, having fallen in love with it on a visit in 2015. Emma Jackson does a wonderful job of describing the different areas and neighbourhoods, and also the kinds of people you might come across in the city. This part of the book was really well written for me and what really drew me into the story from the beginning.

Main characters Noelle and Stephen were also great. As this is a sequel they are characters some might already be familiar with. I hadn't read the first book but I felt like both characters were really written and well-rounded, really feeling like real people to me.

I really enjoyed the mystery of the story, which took us all over NYC. It put Stephen and Noelle in a lot of fun situations and Coney Island was a particular favourite of mine.

However, the review copy was quite hard to read. The formatting wasn't great and it was hard to tell the different chapters apart and even where the book really begun. Had these issues not been there this would have really helped me to enjoy the book more.
The perfect summer romance story, Stephen mother died and in her will she tells Stephen he must look for his father.  He doesn’t know how, he thinks of Noelle a girl he once tried to date.  Things did not go well, Noelle’s father was a detective in New York City so he calls on her for advice.  Fun and romantic an enjoyable read.
I hadn’t realised this was the 2nd book in the series or I would have gone and read it first. I hate jumping in half way through. I did feel a bit out of place sadly. It was a nice enough book. Nice plot and characters. But I’d prefer to go away and read book 1 and then try this one again
I found this book really difficult to get into and took me a few times to sit and read more than a few chapters. Not my cup of tea but that’s not to say others may find it to be an easy read
Heart-warming romance, for all us softies. Well-thought-out and interesting dynamics between not only the love interests, but also between them and their respective families and friends. A three-dimensional story that you just want to keep on reading.
At first, I enjoyed the theme of the plot and the fact that it was set in NYC. I liked to explore the Big Apple alongside the two main characters. However, mid-book, I noticed that my interest started to peter out, maybe because of the strange dynamic between Stephen and Noelle or a possible drop in the overall pace (?). I don’t know, but I lacked something to keep me hooked until the end.
The reading experience was also hindered by the bad formatting (there was no TOC and words were often glued together). It is annoying not to be able to navigate from one chapter to another, while trying to decipher some words. Too bad.
This is set in New York and it’s romance, so It was An auto request for me, absolutely loved every second of this. Heartwarming Romance, the Big Apple, great characters and wonderful writing. I love the fact that the supporting characters are just as interesting and vibrant as the main characters, fantastic read.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Heartwarming and fun read, pacing was good and characters were likable.  Would definitely read more of Emma Jackson's books.  Perfect beach read.
I enjoyed this novel, I liked the subtle humour in it. It was a nice easy summer read with nice characters.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
So to start, we meet Noelle at Central Park and from the off the comedy had me and then, THEN I realise she’s a writer and bam! Doubly in!
I loved this book. It was like settling into a cosy part of bookland and taking in mesmerising settings while they happened around me. The backdrop of New York was vivid, sharp and eye-popping (what, I’m trying something new out, okay?) And the characters were real (omg an extremely special mention for Stephen- he is totally me in terms of his phobia!!) I loved the romance and the will they won’t they aspect. I’ll admit the last part of the book didnt move as fast for me but then the last chapter and the epilogue were absolute rom com perfection!!
Apologies to both the author and Rachel at Rachel’s Random Resources for the lateness in posting and thanks for the  book in return for an honest review!
Rating:4.5/5
Oh I did enjoy this book! Full disclosure - it is set in New York and I adore New York. One of my very favourite cities and this book took me right there. I could feel the heat of a New York summer, and visualize the Twin Towers memorial.

Again, this is a sequel to a book I hadn’t read but it stands perfectly well on its own.
Noelle is a native New Yorker and a writer, who lives in Manhattan. Stephen is English and is working there for the summer. They have met before (in A Mistletoe Miracle) but had a somewhat challenging time of it. While Stephen is in New York he is intending to find his father in order to fulfill part of his mother’s will. Noelle is struggling with her latest book and helping Stephen out will be a welcome distraction. How they get on in his quest and their growing relationship develops throughout the novel.
The book is written from the point of view of both characters, which works really well and enables the reader to get a better feeling of how they both felt and how they saw the relationship. The banter between the two main characters, and also within Noelle’s family is realistic and there are some real laugh out loud moments. I found myself wanting to read more and more about Noelle and Stephen and hoping things would work out for them.
A perfect holiday read, especially if you have been, or are planning to go to New York!
Summer In The City is a sweet romance between Stephen and Noelle, during a hot, hot summer in New York City (and oh can’t I relate to the hot part, writing this review with my fan strategically placed right in front of my face).
Noelle is working on her last novel in a cosy mystery series and is fighting writing block when she receives her publisher’s feedback. Stephen is a British, hot-shot stockbroker who is working in the city for the summer, while searching for his father who abandoned him as a kid after his mother passed away and left him money in her will.
This was such a cute read and I devoured it in one sitting.
First, the writing style, although not complicated, it is not overly simple either. It is clear the writer takes her job seriously and is careful of her word’s choices.
The characters were fully developed and felt like actual person. They have their flaws, their dreams, their jobs. They are well-rounded characters that we discover through each of their point of views, written in the first person, sometimes it gets confusing but, in this case, and the author manages to distinguish the two quite clearly.
Stephen and Noelle could not be more different, and they could not be more meant for each other.
I appreciated the family dynamics, for both Noelle and Stephen. They have radically different family units, but nonetheless the novel shows the importance of family and the different relationship to siblings.
The one thing I loved the most is the way the author wrote Stephen’s character. Stephen is a caring, sweet character and through the plot and as the novel progresses, the author manages to show Stephen’s raw vulnerability.
Noelle and Stephen challenge each other, and take each other out of their respective comfort zones, especially in Stephen’s case.
The author was amazing at building tension between the two, first through banter and flirting, and then physical attraction that becomes so undeniable you want to yell at them to just go for it already. The author creates such a tension that you will let out a sigh when the characters finally gives in to their desires.
I love finding well-written romances, and this was one of them.
It was a great summer romance, and I will check out more from this author.
I like that the book was set in New York. I liked the theme of writers block and connected easily with the characters: Stephen and Noelle. A brilliant romance to enjoy. Thank you to Netgalley and the publishers for letting me review this book.
Loved this book, the story of Stephen and Noelle.

Set in her native city of New York, Stephen is over there for work but also to try and track down his biological father. They don't particularly get on, but  Noelle is helping him search. As they spend more time together and get to know each other will they become more than friends?

I liked how it was told from both of their points of view, and also a chance to catch up with characters from the previous book.
Really good read. Would recommend to friends and family. I could sympathise with characters (important for any fiction novel!) and looked forward to picking it up and reading the next few chapters! Interesting plot line and a good ending. Will look out for more novels by the author. Thank you.
Thank you to @rachelsrandomresources  for inviting me on the blog tour for this little delight and to the author Emma Jackson and @netgalley for a copy of the book.
❤️
This is the first book I have read from Emma Jackson and I was pleasantly pleased.
I really enjoyed this book!
❤️
This is a stand alone novel however there are lots of references to what happened in another book from the same author ‘A mistletoe miracle’ which I believe focus on different members of the cast!
❤️
That was a little frustrating at times and I kind of wish that I had read it first to be a bit more clued up! ❤️
The story is told from the two different points of view of Noelle and Stephen which I love as it builds up the bigger picture.
❤️
This book is set in New York  which I love as it never fails to feel magical, and based around Noelle and Stephen, who there is a very strong chemistry from the word go that you just can’t help but get sucked into.
❤️
It was lovely to follow their journey
A absolute page turner romance with added mystery!
#blogtour #romance #mystery
I absolutely love New York. I was there in early February, just before the whole coronavirus pandemic shut the world down, and who knows when I’ll get back there again, so I was very much looking forward to an armchair visit back to the Big Apple via this book.

The author definitely does not disappoint on this front. As someone who has been to NYC multiple times, I found her descriptions of the city accurate and very evocative of my happy memories of the place. I particularly like the fact that she explores some of the more off-beat neighbourhoods of New York, rather than just sticking to the familiar tourist trail, and the plot device of a manhunt across the city was an inspired way of doing this. It gave the book a slightly different twist than you often see in NYC-set romance novels.

I really enjoyed the fact that this book was a combination of mystery story and romance. A mystery writer helping someone solve a real-life mystery to unlock her writer’s block was a really cute idea and, as pointed out before, allowed the story to range across a large area of New York. It worked really well, and I was intrigued to see how that mystery would pan out for both Noelle and Stephen. The chemistry between the two was sizzling, and I was very invested in the outcome, although the repeated misunderstandings and will they, won’t they had me practically screaming for them just to give in and get on with it by the end!

As well as being a romance, a mystery and a travelogue, the particular strength of this book is its exploration of family. What they mean to us, how they shape us and affect our choices going forward in life. I found the author’s exploration of this topic very thoughtful, and I particularly liked the way that there was one aspect that wasn’t all tied up in a neat, happy bow. It’s important that romance novels retain the ability to be shocking and disappointing in some regards, if they are not to end up too saccharine and predictable as a genre, and I’d like to see more of this. Bittersweet is a good take for me in women’s fiction, and I’d really like to see more of it, it lends books the authenticity I need for me to remain invested. After all, this is how life is for most of us.

Emma’s writing is light, fun but sensitive and honest and the book is a very enjoyable read for anyone who enjoys a charming but easy romance with a bit of spark. Plus, since it may be the only holiday any of us get this year, this virtual trip to New York provides a welcome break from our own four walls.
I read this as a standalone and found it totally satisfying but have since realised that the characters had featured in A Mistletoe Miracle. You get to follow the two central characters, Noelle and Stephen and to hear both their thoughts as the viewpoints alternate. Both characters are clearly defined with their own worries and concerns and also a lighter side as well. You can sense from the start that there is a whole lot of chemistry between them, as do they.

There are many vivid secondary characters, from Stephen's colleagues and family to Noelle's large and boisterous family and they all cast some light on Noelle and Stephen's characters. The story is set in New York and you get a sense of the city and what it must be like to spend time there. This is written with a light touch but there are some meaty issues below the surface: abandonment, loss, bullying, and family pressures. How the characters react to situations is sometimes unexpected which makes for a great read.
Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book.