Cover Image: Lost Souls

Lost Souls

I am very sorry and sad to admit defeat.
I've been wanting to read Kellerman for years. And, thanks to Netgalley, I got a chance to read on of the books by Kellerman duo.
However, this book did not take me. I persevered. Honestly. I read on for 37%... but the text was mostly 'white noise' to my brain. I could not be taken in.
The characters seemed to be flat as their relationships. The mystery and suspense was very slow, dead slow to develop. I am still not sure what this book is about (after 37%).
I even caught myself giving 'inside my head' parenting advice to the main character... I failed to figure out the plot...
I definitely need to go back and read the previous Clay Edison books, I like this character! Whilst you don’t need to buy into the series or read in any order, I clearly haven’t, but I did feel like I was missing some background that would’ve meant the book was a slightly easier read, I kept thinking I might’ve missed a page where the author had assumed the reader was familiar with the reoccurring characters.
The plot for the main mystery is one that spans a few decades, in fact almost half a century and sometimes it feels like it’s going to drag for similar lengths of time. However, it is worth persevering a real good mystery. The modern day skeletal remains mystery is quicker to resolve, albeit that one that is also coming through from a death that was a generation ago.
A definite change in pace and character types from Kellerman but one that I recommend picking up to give it a go, definitely not a tired and conveyor belt feel to it anywhere!
Very enjoyable book. Great storyline and characters. I would highly recommend this book. I was hooked from the start!
This is the third installment in the new series from Jonathan and Jesse Kellerman.  It was a great read even if the middle seemed to drag a bit. I did not enjoy it as much as the first two novels in the series.  I am looking forward to the next installment of the series.

Many thanks to Random House Publishing Group – Ballantine Books, Jonathan Kellerman and Jesse Kellerman for a complimentary digital ARC of this novel via NetGalley and the opportunity to provide an honest review.
I have read only a small part of this book but found it really good.  I have been quite busy but this is a book that I can pick up and get straight back into the storyline, very interesting.
Just finshed reading Lost Souls by Jonathan Kellerman He had a differentt major character and as a result this book was. more interesting.
My thanks to Random House U.K. Cornerstone/Century for an eARC via NetGalley of ‘Lost Souls’ by Jonathan & Jesse Kellerman, in exchange for an honest review.

Like many other reviewers, I found there was rather too much going on in the novel by new characters and side plots. That made the story overly complicated, and I felt it hard to keep focus.

I had not read either of the earlier two books in the series,  so I liked the change of focus from police procedural to the County Coroner’s office investigative work. I also found Clay Edison an absorbing and likeable character.
Overall, this was a solid read that helped my knowledge of the lesser-known investigative work associated with coroners in the USA.

However, it did not compel me to rush out and read the earlier two novels.
This is my first book by this author duo and will definitely not be my last.

This story follows two parallel investigations after the body of a baby is found in a park and the deputy coroner receives a call claiming to identify the baby.

I really enjoyed the writing style and was hooked from start to finish. What I loved the most was that there was enough of an outright explanation given by the characters to be satisfying but not so much as it revealed every thought process in a patronising way.

The setting was great and I can't wait to read more.
This is a wonderful addition to this thrilling series!
Wonderful well written plot and story line that had me engaged from the start.
Love the well fleshed out characters and found them believeable.
Great suspense and action with wonderful world building  that adds so much to the story.
Such a thrilling read that I couldn't put it down.
Can't wait to read more of these.
Recommend reading.

I was provided an ARC from NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my own honest voluntary review.
A murder mystery with a bit of a twist

This is the third in the series, and as I hadn’t read the previous two, I can vouch for the fact that it’s quite readable as a stand-alone novel as there are few if any references to the previous books. The title of this in the USA is “Half Moon Bay” although neither title really makes a lot of sense, in my opinion.

Clay Edison is a deputy coroner and is working strange shifts so that he and his wife, Amy, are around at different times to look after their new daughter. This complexity adds nothing to the plot or the background so could well have been dispensed with.

During the excavation of footings for a new college building on a local site, the bones of a young child are found. Clay must attend. As happens so many times these days, the location is the subject of very vocal attention by protesters who want to halt the development and Clay also gets dragged into this side of local politics.

Having dealt with the formalities, Clay is contacted by a man who believes the remains might belong to his long-lost sister who disappeared in infancy. As a result, the plot then diverts into two. One part follows the investigation into the bones found, and the other is the private investigation by Clay into the story behind the disappearance of the man’s sister. Will the two merge as the result of his investigations?

Although the novel is well written and the plot flows along very well, it didn’t really grab my attention in the way that I expected. The two plots running side by side were on occasions difficult to separate in my mind, each having a separate cast of characters and I sometimes got perplexed as to who was related to whom etc.

The characterisation was also disappointing. Clay’s having to work the graveyard shift to look after his daughter suggested that Amy would feature much more in the story, but she’s very much a background character. The introduction of his looking after their child also adds very little to his character. Maybe it links to his investigation into what happened to the two missing children?

The was no real passion in the book, and whilst it was an easy read, it didn’t make me want to read the previous two in the series.

mr zorg

Elite Reviewing group received a copy of the book to review.
This book is written by Jonathan Kellerman and his son Jesse. It features Clay Edison as the main protagonist.
The story begins when the remains of a child are discovered during building works. There is also another storyline that runs alongside this as Edison is asked to investigate a missing child. At times it did feel a little confusing moving between the two plots especially with all the different characters.
Personally I prefer Kellerman's books featuring Alex Delaware but this was still a good read.
At a controversial development on the UC Berkeley grounds, the skeletal remains of a baby are found. Clay Edison is on the nightshift as a deputy coroner and has to determine whose bones these are. They’re not native but fairly ‘recent’, from the early seventies and belong to a male infant between 6 and 18 months. By law, Clay has the duty to inform the family of the deceased but first, he has to find out who the child is. The UC detective designed to the case is lazy and none too bright and of very little help.
Clay receives a strange phone call from Peter Franchette who believes the bones might belong to his missing sister. He has an old photo from his mother with a baby girl about whom his parents never spoke. Clay decides to help the man in his free time. So first of, all they must find out if there ever was an older sister before they can start to, determine what could have happened to her.
That both cases are about babies is close to home for Clay who’s a new dad of an insomniac new-born. I’m sure that some educators will have lots of comments on the choices Clay makes when it comes to working and babysitters but no harm is done, so what?

I’m a huge fan of Kellerman’s ‘Alex Delaware’ stories and I was curious how this new series would turn out. I needn’t worry about it; the quality is just as high as ever and even the style of writing and story development are very similar. There’s no life-threatening heroics by superheroes, but hard work and slowly evolving theories as the result of many interviews with a long list of people that may have knowledge about either mystery.
This is the 3rd book in this series and the supporting characters are well fleshed out and the family dynamics already established. Clay Edison hasn’t yet made a lasting impression, but I’m sure that with more stories he’ll find the way to my heart as well.
The 2 investigations both involve infants and extensive families with many siblings and other relatives. Sometimes it was a little bit confusing to remember which family belongs to which baby and investigation. You have to keep your mind with you at all times.
The fighting about the development and digging between contractors, university, and protesters continues for the whole book and is responsible for some very funny scenes. It’s very realistic when it comes to the politics and mechanics of protest organisations. They’re a bit ridiculed in this story and I must admit that I don’t see much ground or reason for their protests myself.
The ending contains an interesting dilemma of how to react to newfound information about historical crimes.
I thank Netgalley and Random House for the free ARC they provided me with and this is my honest, unbiased review of it.
A jaw dropping crime, a story that takes your breath away. This book was so well told with rich character and a great flowing storyline. It oozes suspense and bone chilling twists and turns. This is one of those books that gets your heart racing till the very last page. This one needs to go on your list. I adore this author and this book was no disappointment. Phenomenal
Johnathon Kellerman has done it yet again. I was thrilled to see one of his books on netgalley and so I requested it. Here we are an hour after I have finished the book and I am still craving more. This book has it all, a dead baby, a missing sister, a coroners work. The story is full of twists and just when you think you have it figured out, the ball drops. The story begins with a developer who demolishing a local park and there are no shortage of protesters. Two items were found that halted the work being done, one was a Blue is teddy bear that was missing an eye, the second was the remains of an infant. Clay Edison, coroner, is assigned to the case. Clay must figure out if the two are connected in any way and at this time a man comes in asking for help in finding his sister. Edison must figure this out before it is too late. Kellerman knows how to write a psychological thriller and does so in a way that keeps you enthralled and entertained the entire time. The characters are well developed and feed off of each other in such a way that you will either love them or hate them. I want to read more with Edison. Hopefully, my wish will come true.

Thank you to netgalley as well as the author/publisher for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest review.
This took me an age to read for some reason but I really enjoyed it. There was a story rather than second guessing  twists and turns.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the ARC in return for an honest and unbiased opinion.
A story of 2 Stories!
I hadn't read any of Jonathan Kellermans books for some time so was really interested to read this and especially as the story line seemed really interesting. A story of a dead baby found after many years and someone looking for a missing sister from the same timeframe. Both stories get interwoven and it made me keep reading intently to finally discover the conclusion.
Although this book is in a series I found no difficulty reading it as a standalone and would thoroughly recommend it - a great thrilling read.
#LostSouls - thanks to #NetGalley for preview of this book for an honest review.
There were so many diverse people in this novel that the plot became quite confusing. Were we trying to find the identity of the buried child or locate the kidnapped child? Toward the end it seemed as though everyone was related.
Having read many of Jonathan Kellerman's books I was eager to read this collaboration. however I found it a slow labouring read. I felt it did not live up to the "gripping new thriller" description. The story line was almost a ripple amongst other things and finished with a small twist but nothing momentous. Not sure if I would be so keen to read the next offering from these authors.    My thanks to Net Galley, the publisher and author for allowing me to read an advance copy in exchange  for an honest review.
Lost Souls is something of an oddity, and no mistake. There’s nothing at all wrong with the novel itself apart from something of an identity crisis. Search for it on Amazon UK, and up it comes, but the page URL contains the title Half Moon Bay. Search for Half Moon Bay and up comes the same novel, but with a different cover. It looks as though Half Moon Bay is the Penguin Random House American title, while on this side of the Atlantic Century are going with Lost Souls.

Deputy US Coroner Clay Edison first appeared in Crime Scene (2017). That was followed by A Measure of Darkness in 2018, and now Edison returns but this time with baby Charlotte to look after when his wife is out on shift in her hospital. The Edisons live in that eternal bastion of West Coast sensibilities, Berkeley, and it is in the infamous People’s Park that the case begins.

Clay Edison is called to the park, scene of decades of hippy protest. Two bodies have been found during building excavation. The first is neither human nor animal. It is a stuffed blue teddy bear, missing an eye. The second is the skeleton of a baby, and the glare of the pathologist’s strip lights reveal that it was once a little boy. Edison is drawn into an investigation to see if the teddy bear and the boy are connected, and this means he has to visit a truly terrifying settlement of biker red-necks:

“I bounced along the tracks, wheels spitting gravel. Slowly the smudge began to resolve like a body surfacing in swamp water. Structures, then vehicles, then living things: gaunt dogs and children chasing one another, their roles as hunter or prey in constant flux. Bare feet raised a dusty haze. ….. Amid a weedy patch a woman slouched in a lawn chair. Pustulant acne ravaged her face; she could have been eighteen or forty. A slack-limbed toddler slept on her chest.”

As Edison tries to link the skeleton of the baby with the abandoned cuddly toy, he accepts an ‘off-the-books’ job. A wealthy businessman, Peter Franchette, asks him to try to find the truth about his missing sister. Possibly abducted, perhaps murdered, she has disappeared into a complexity of disfunctional family events – deaths, walkouts, divorces, remarriages and rejections.

The Kellermans clearly have an ambivalent view of Berkeley. A place perhaps, where a seventy-something former revolutionary might wake up and imagine, for a fleeting moment, before old age and reality kick in, that it is 1966, and everything is still possible. The reality is more sobering, however:

” … and the countless others, men and women alike, who’d found their way to the Pacific, only to find that it was not the golden bath they’d expected but a terrifying force of nature, immense and violent and indifferent.”

I’ll be blunt and say that I have never understood the concept of writing partnerships in fiction. Over many years I enjoyed Jonathan Kellerman’s Alex Delaware books. They are slick and formulaic, but never less than gripping, and it is obvious that Kellerman is a gifted writer. Why he should want to want to pair up with someone else – even if it is his son – is for him to know and me to be left wondering. Lost Souls reads as if it has been written by one person, so I suppose that is all that matters.

Lost Souls is cleverly written and has a plot which is, like Chandler’s immortal The Big Sleep, deeply complex. Rather like the anecdote which has Chandler being asked who killed the chauffeur, and him replying that he wasn’t sure, I couldn’t put my hand on my heart and say that Edison finds Peter Franchette’s missing sister. I think he does, but you must judge for yourselves.
Developers are demolishing a local park when the bones of a baby is found, this development is being targeted by protesters.  A halt is put on the work, which does not please the developer.  Clay Edison, deputy coroner is called in the inspect the site and the remains.  Clay gets a phone call from a man who believes these remains could be his sister.  She vanished a long time ago, which does not help the investigation. Clay is determined to find out the truth.  Interesting look into how a county coroner works and how much they are involved in the investigation. Well written by the Kellerman's, father and son.