Cover Image: Wartime with the Cornish Girls

Wartime with the Cornish Girls

I love reading wartime novels and this is no exception.  Great writing, makes you feel as though you are living through those times along with the girls.  The details were well looked into as well as the characters, I loved every minute that I spent reading this. I really do recommend you find time to  spend with this book and I am giving this 5 stars. Well done Betty.

Thanks to Netgalley and publisher for this ARC
This was a very enjoyable story. Some great characters and a storyline which covers a multitude of parts. Really brought the impact of war on the population, both in town and countryside, to life. The conclusion left the option of a follow on,  so isn't really finished. I would love to read the next one!
1.5 stars.
It was an alright read but the characters were honestly a bit boring and meh so it was a bit hard to follow because i didn`t care about the characters.
I would like to thank NetGalley for allowing me to read this book. This is a sweet book about friendship between three girls. I did not get to finish it before it was archived but I was enjoying it.
Wartime With the Cornish Girls is set in London and Cornwall in 1941. It's told from three perspectives: there's Hazel, who works on the local base and has a teenage son; Violet, who escapes to Cornwall from London's East End with her two teenage nieces; and Eva, a carefree chorus girl who left London following a close call during the Blitz to work and live on the base her father runs. Their paths naturally intersect on the base and they turn to each other for support.

I'd highly recommend this book to fellow historical fiction fans. I really liked the different WWII setting and the characters - they may have each had different personalities, but they were all resilient. Each character also had their own romantic storyline, which I always appreciate, what can I say! Once I reached the end, I felt like I wanted more finality. That's when I realised this is the first book in a series. I will definitely lookout for the next book about these delightful Cornish Girls.

Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for the ARC in exchange for this honest review.
Wartime With the Cornish Girls by Betty Walker is a World War II story of those left behind. Three women, Violet and Eva from the East End of London, and Hazel from Cornwall, meet in Cornwall and become friends, their lives intertwining and changing for the better. Porthcurno in South Cornwall is the location of a large military communications center, sending and receiving top secret messages around the clock. Eva's father is the commander there and she has been sent to him to keep her out of trouble, after she ran away from her uncle and became a dancer in a bar in London. She was caught in a German bombing attack and her uncle was contacted. Violet lives with her mother and together they run a small cafe. She has two nieces, Lily and Alice, whose mother died in a bombing incident and whose father is missing in action. Violet is anxious to get them out of London to safety from the bombs and from some of their neighbors so they go to her aunt in Porthcurno. It was miserable; they were treated little better than slaves, but they managed, until the day her uncle tried to rape Lily. Instead of supporting Lily, her aunt stood with her husband, and kicked them out. Violet had me Hazel a few days earlier and decided to go to her for help.

This is a complicated story, as peoples' lives tend to get. It certainly held my attention as one thing after another happened to each of them. Stories of those left behind are not nearly as common as Holocaust or battle stories. This is definitely women's fiction as these woman struggle to keep their loves afloat. It was well though out and interesting. The characters are sympathetic and in need of love and support. They appear to be on their way to finding it. It is homey and gives the reader an idea of what life was like for many during this horrid war. I recommend it.

I was invited to read a free ARC of Wartime With the Cornish Girls by Netgalley. All opinions contained herein are solely my own. #netgalley #wartimewiththecornishgirls
Thank you, Netgalley and Avon Books UK for providing me with an ARC of this book. I am leaving this review voluntarily.

Wartime With The Cornish Girls by Betty Walker is a heartwarming and uplifting historical fiction that centers around three women who come together through certain events in their lives. Germany is bombing London and during the 1940s a war is being fought even in the rural areas. Violet has lost her sister to one of the bombings and her brother-in-law is MIA. She does not want her nieces to be in danger and so she takes them to Cornwall to Violet’s aunt’s farm. Hazel is working at a secret military base in Porthcurno trying to keep her home together while her son is acting out because of the absence of his father. Eva a young girl, the daughter of the Captain flees her uncle’s home to become a dancer and then is forced to return to Porthcurno after a lucky escape from death. The three women meet and their lives get tangled together in ways they do not expect.

This is a sweet story that is women-centric with wonderfully written characters leading the story forward. We get to see the progression of the plot through all the three women and get to know them very closely. All three of them offer their contributions to the army in their way supporting the military effort. They work very hard and tries their hardest to hold onto any positivity they could find. It tells the story of a family, a second-chance love, slow-developing friendships, and a wonderful and supportive group of women who had each other’s backs all through the story.

Each woman had their own storyline and they were wrapped pretty satisfactorily for two of them and the open ending for one of the characters was not my favorite. I like having a happy ending for the characters and so when I didn’t get it for the part, it was a bit disappointing. This is just a personal opinion. I would have also loved to see an epilogue with all of them together sometime in the future. I am sure there is a possibility of that as this is the first book in the series.

Overall, this is a story for people who enjoy light-hearted heartwarming historical fiction with themes of friendship, love, and a small mystery added into the mix. I enjoyed the book and am giving it 3.75 stars. I think everyone should check it out.
Several women's lives become linked during World War II in Cornwall. Hazel is lifelong resident, trying to earn some extra money doing warwork while her alcoholic, abusive husband is off fighting.

After being injured in a London bombing, Eva retreats to the coast at the demand of her father, a British colonel. Violet has already fled London with her two nieces, Lily and Alice. Although all three women (and two young women) encounter serious difficulties, they learn that friendship can help soften the blows.

Gorgeous setting and engaging characters make this World War II novel a worthwhile read. It's not groundbreaking stuff, but rather a very enjoyable way to spend a few hours. The characters and their stories are memorable. #WartimeWithTheCornishGirls #NetGalley
A beautiful book. I definitely went into this book seeing the mindblowing cover. Its indeed a pleasure to read such new fiction from time to time. Thanks to the publisher and netgalley for this book.
World War II fiction that takes place in England? I’m so in! In the last year or so I’ve figured out that I absolutely LOVE historical fiction, particularly those that take place during or around WWII. There’s so much to learn about in historical fiction novels!

Wartime with the Cornish Girls by Betty Walker is about three gals who come from different areas of England and all happen to end up at Cornwall in the middle of the war. Hazel is a Cornwall resident, Victoria relocates there with her two nieces, and Eva is the colonel’s daughter who is dragged from London to be with her father where he can keep an eye on her. These three have different stories, but all seem to come together in wartime friendship.

Each woman has her own issues to deal with, yet takes time to help the others. They all work together to plan a dance to benefit the nearby church when they aren’t busy working. England during this time is black out at night so that the German Jerries cannot find the homes and buildings. This doesn’t stop them from swinging through at dusk, though.

While each woman also has her eyes on a certain gent, it’s not necessarily proper for some and potentially sabotaged for others. Getting to know the characters in this book has been an enjoyable experience! I feel like these women are my friends and I want to see them all have happy endings! As this is the first book of The Cornish Girls series, I will have a chance to read what happens next!

Thank you to Avon Books UK and NetGalley for providing an amazing read! I give Wartime with the Cornish Girls by Betty Walker 5 out of 5 tiaras because I was totally blown away! I am so invested in these women that I must read the next book!
Thanks to Avon Books UK for the Wartime Girls with the Cornish GIrls.

I really like WWII domestic fiction and this was a great book about 3 women as they try to survive after they flee London during the Blitz. They meet when they all start working for the war effort.

This was a great story on friendship, family and adversity.
This one did not do it for me at all sadly. I really didn’t like the main character so struggled to relate to or empathise with her. Ended up not even finishing it
Wartime With The Cornish Girls is the first book in The Cornish Girls by Betty Walker.   A captivating story that I couldn't put down. The setting in Cornwall and the descriptive writing were beautiful.
This is an interesting book, first in a series apparently. Setting is WWII in Cornwall, England, yet it doesn’t feel as overwhelming and depressing as a lot of war books. I think that’s because of the characters : Vi, Eva and Hazel.  They come from different backgrounds but meet in Cornwall and become friends. They are so helpful to each other that you can’t help but like them and be hopeful for their future happiness. I look forward to reading the next one.
A brilliant story that is beautifully written.  An excellent page turner which had me gripped from the beginning until the end.  I found it incredibly difficult to put down and was disappointed when I finished it and I can't wait for the next book in The Cornish Girls series.

I would definitely recommend this book.
This book appeals on two main things - women during wartime, and getting in on the ground floor of a new series.

Violet has already lost her sister to the war; with their father in the forces she is responsible for the safety of her two nieces and London is not a safe place, so she takes them to stay with family in Cornwall where she meets Eva, former chorus girl, also seeking somewhere safer than the capital city. Hazel is living in Porthcurno, where there is a secret base. With all three women working there, they join together to help the war effort - but will that be enough to keep them all safe?

I've read a lot of World War II domestic fiction, but this one is different in that it's not set in London but rather on the Cornish coast which gives it a whole new feel.  There is a lot going on, and it is all rather thrilling! With more to this story than these three women, there is never a dull moment. In addition to the domestic side of things, there is also the constraint of working under the official secrets act and the author produces a beautifully written, gripping novel with a few surprises along the way. Thoroughly enjoyable, and I'm already looking forward to the second book. 4.5* and my recommendation for this one!

My thanks to the publisher for my copy via NetGalley; this is - as always - my honest, original and unbiased review.
1941. Many are fleeing London to escape the Blitz. Three women meet in Cornwall. Each has their own story --  a sister killed in the Blitz, one recovering from bombing injuries, another just trying to survive. They become friends, and end up working at a top secret military installation to help the war effort.

What a lovely story about friendship, bravery, and the strength of women in hard times! I loved all the main characters. They come from very different lives, but become the best of friends....in the worst of times. I liked the fact that this story wasn't just about the war and the secret installation, but also about these three women and their lives.

Great story! This is the first book I've read by this author. She writes under two other pen names...I'm going to check out her other books (she writes thrillers, romance and YA fantasy)! I like her style! Wartime With the Cornish Girls would make an excellent movie or television series. The vibe reminded me a lot of the friendships in The Land Girls or Bomb Girls.

This is a book that definitely warrants a second read. As soon as it comes out, I'm snagging the audio book!

**I voluntarily read a review copy of this book from Avon Books.
Anyone that enjoys historical fiction, set during WWII, will enjoy this one. The first of Betty Walker’s Cornish girls series, this one will have me waiting eagerly for the next.
We learn how another small British town, takes part in the war effort, with their role as information gathering on the location of German war planes, while in an old home, nestled and camouflaged among the rocky coast of the Cornish shore.
It follows the lives of three young women, with nothing in common, but to stay safe, protect their loved ones and do their part for the war effort. I loved the characters, strong, likable young women, with interesting backgrounds and lives. Of course, a little romance thrown in, provides the smiles needed while reading of the suffering and tragedy of war.
My thanks to NetGalley, Betty Walker and Harper Collins Publishers for the ARC. I loved it!
I finished this book and I'm desperate to read the next one in the series. A wonderful story about hope, love and friendship at during the Second World War. My heart broke for the characters who had lost so much. There was great character development and though it did take me a while to warm to Eva, I got there eventually. I really can't wait to see what the follow-up has in store for everybody. A wonderful wartime story for anybody who loves historical fiction.
Perfect for fans of the big WWII novel.  I love a book set in Cornwall and this was no exception. Three women, three different personal histories, all come together as friends.  Violet never expected to become the guardian for her nieces- teens no less.  Eva was a chorus girl happy to be in London until she was injured in the Blitz.  Hazel has an abusive husband.  All three work at the top secret critical facility run by Eva's father but the work isn't the story here- it's the women and their families. Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  It's a very good read for fans of the genre.