Cover Image: Wartime with the Cornish Girls

Wartime with the Cornish Girls

1941 the London blitz. Historical Fiction set in England during WWII about 3 girls who find friendship at a military base, dealing with challenges and difficulties, but doing the best they can.  "Stiff upper lip and all that."  You could say the British people have a way of "staying calm and carrying on."  It's all been written before, yet I enjoyed it thoroughly.  I have never read anything before that Ms. Walker has written, but it won't be my last.  My thanks to NetGalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I simply adored this book!  It is the story of three women during World War 2 who meet each other through various circumstances and become friends.  I enjoyed the characters along with the setting and liked the fact that this book wasn't set right in London like so many books of its type tend to be.  There were wonderful descriptions of the settings as well as the multitude of characters.  It leaves you wanting more!  Fortunately, I see that there is a Christmas edition following this book which I am hoping will continue the saga.  Thank you to Netgalley for this free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
Set during the early stages of WW2 this is a heartwarming  tale of three women and how they cope. Set in the village of Porthcurno in Cornwall this makes a nice change from the usual city based stories. Gutsy Londoner Violet moves down to Cornwall with her two nieces to escape the worst of the blitz. Here she meets local girl Hazel who has troubles of her own. Eva is also evacuated from London, and as these three girls cross paths they form a friendship that spans the book. This is obviously the first in a series and I for one can’t wait to see where we find the women in the next instalment.

Thanks to #NetGalley and the author #BettyWalker for this advanced copy of #WarTimeWithThe CornishGirls
This was a really charming book that was just what I needed during these "interesting" times.  It took me away to a different time in beautiful Cornwall, England.  The characters were interesting and real, they faced hardships with grace.  The plot was a different look at WWII England, from the point of view of the women who were left behind when men went to war. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.  4 stars.

Thanks to NetGalley and Avon Books-UK for the ARC of this book, the review is unsolicited and all opinions are my own.
Three women from different places, who’s stories come together . It was an interesting war time book. At times you felt for each of the characters. But they prove how women handled situations with strength.
Wartime with the Cornish Girls tells the story of three different women whom have issues of their own. Their stories do come together and are interwoven through out most of the book. You have Hazel who is from Cornwall, Violet who is from London (East End) and Eva who grew up all over the place due to her father being in the Military.
The friendship these women forage in the first book of the series seems quick and long lasting. This could be due to the where they work or the time period.

This story is a great way to pull you into their world and feel like you are there. I am excited for this series and will be checking it out.
A bit different to have a wartime book set in Cornwell. The stories of Eve,Hazel and Violet all come together when they meet in Cornwall and work in the army listening centre ,a top secret establishment.
Three women from completely different lives all helping each other get through the miseries of wartime.
I enjoyed this book. I liked the characters straightaway and the book had a good flow to it.
Looking forward to the next book in the serie.
This is the story of three young women living in Cornwall during World War II. The first third of the book sets the scene and establishes the circumstances that brought the three women together in Cornwall. I didn't find this part especially interesting. However after the women's paths began to intersect, the story became more entertaining.
There are several details I hope will be changed in future installments in this series. I found the overuse of the word "bloody" and derivatives thereof to be annoying. Even worse, following a great many of its uses, someone chastised the original speaker for use of "language". Yes, please stop so I don't have to read about it any more. The repeated East End slang became cliche and threatened to transform the characters into caricatures. Fortunately the wicked aunt and uncle dropped out of the plot. They were one dimensional enough to be predictable. Since the abusive husband was only mentioned and was not present in the story, his character did not seem as simplistic. I was rooting for him to die in action. At this point, I realized that I had become invested in the story.
In spite of a few shortcomings, the three main characters are appealing. I would like to read more about them. The novel itself has a cozy feeling. It focuses on daily life on the English homefront.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.
There are 3 POV's in this book and i enjoyed all of them. There is Violet who is from the East End and moves to Cornwall to help on her Aunts farm and get away from the bombing in London. She is the custosian of her sisters 2 teenage children after her sister is killed in an bombing raid.  There is Eva the Colonels  daughter and moves to Cornwall to get away from the bombing after almost dying in a blast and finally there is Hazel who is living in her cottage with her teenage son after her abusive / violent / drunk husband has gone to fight in the war.

The way the lives of the three women intermingle is very well done and i had a real dislike for Uncle Stanley and Aunt Margaret so much so that i didnt even want to read Violets bits. I did but would have liked some sort of comeuppance for them, him especially. George is a very sweet and kind character and i love the Colonels stiff upper lip no need for crying attitude i feel it is very on point for the time period. The scene on the cliffs with Eva and the professor could have maybe been expanded slightly the peril part are she seem to infer alot from not alot if that makes sense.

I have just realised that Professor Templeton (maybe) named after the rat is Charlotte's web, very apt.

I enjoyed this book and recommend it. This is book 1 and i will hopefully be able to read book 2 also.

There are trigger warnings for domestic violence & sexual assault

This book was provided to me by Netgalley and Avon publishing. Although the book was provided to me the stars are mine to give.
⭐ Review ⭐

Wartime with the Cornish Girls - Betty Walker

E-ARC - Release date 18th February 2021!

The story follows three women; Violet, Hazel, and Eva, who all meet in a small Cornish town surrounding a secret military base during the Blitz in 1941.

It took me a couple of chapters to get into to it but once I had, I couldn't put it down! I loved watching the characters and relationships blossom and the elements of mystery running throughout.

Overall, I found it a cosy, heartwarming read with a few twists and turns along the way - I recommend a read!

Thank you to @avon_books and @netgalley for this e-ARC!
I love books like this, all girls together, getting organised, making things happen.

I feel it definitely need a sequel, I really want to find out more about the Cornish Girls.
Now this is the novel I needed! I have been reading so many heavy WW2 Historical Fiction novels recently that this story was such a breath of fresh air, just like a perfect Cornish day! This story centers around three extraordinary women—-Violet, Hazel, and Eva—— who cross paths in a small Cornish town during WW2.  Each woman deals with personal struggles and triumphs whilst forming lasting bonds of friendship and love.  I can’t wait for the next book in this series.  I was so entertained by this book.  I highly recommend it! Thank you to NetGalley and Avon Books UK for this ARC!
Such a truly beautiful story. Set during the start of World War 2. It's the story of three women working at a secret location, two of them as cleaners and the third in the secret codes and information section.
This is the first book I've read by Betty Walker but it certainly won't be the last.
Thanks to Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me to read it.
I really enjoyed this book and having visited the 'listening post' a few years back on holiday it bought it all back to me. The storyline was strong and I liked the way each chapter, to start with, went between the three main characters. There were a few twists and turns on the way that kept you hooked into the story. I'm left wanting more to find out what will happen with Miss Hopkins and Mr Postbridge. Please don't leave me waiting too long for the next book. I would highly recommend this easy to read and most satisfying story. Thank you.
I was immediately swept into the world of these characters and wanted to know more. The friendship formed from 3 very different women is strong @nd supportive. They stand by one another and help make life a better place.

The references to the wartime work in Cornwall and the secret missions is engaging @nd based on reality.

A really lovely book that will sprinkle, love, mystery, excitement and friendship into your reading and will leave you wanting to know  more.
Thank you for the chance to read this book

This was a book about a group of woman who were thrown together in Cornwall due to various events in their life

I enjoyed the book and can’t wait for the next one
Three girls, three stories all set in the Cornish seaside surrounding a secret military base. Good characterization and plot, although I did want more descriptions of the countryside. It ended abruptly but I did find that there is a continuation in the next book which I look forward to reading.
Historical fiction set in world war 2 is one of my favorite genres.  This book is quite different from most as it is mainly set in Cornwall in one of the centres that intercepted and decoded messages which were an integral part of war work.  Three women with different jobs, backgrounds and problems become friends, they all have one thing in common their desire to find true love and survive the war. I really enjoyed this book and will lookout for the next in the series.
Thank you for the chance to read this book in return for a full and frank review.

This was a book about a group of woman who were thrown together in Cornwall due to various events in their lives. It centred around a communications station in Porthcurno in Cornwall.
I have never realised there were so many listening posts - though I do vaguely remember that a cable came from America to Cornwall for communication purposes

Some of the story is predictable though not all by any means. It does finish on a cliffhanger that makes you want to know what happens to the characters in the next book. The author is honest that this will be part of a series.
It features an Aunt and 2 nieces leaving the bombing of the East End of London, a dancer who had run away from home to go to London and gets caught in a bomb blast there and a wife caught up in a abusive marriage with a husband serving in the War  and her son as well as the characters at the Communication Station.

I enjoyed the book and found myself reading 'just a bit more' - as I read before bed often this meant a few late nights when I should have been going to sleep. I do like books like this anyway showing what life could be like during  and between the Two World Wars - so it was a typical read for me.
what a perfect story! Three young women in WW2 end up befriending each other in the village of Porthcurno in Cornwall. They all have sadness to deal with, but draw strength from one another. This is a ‘feel good’ book.