Cover Image: Freckles

Freckles

This novel was requested in an attempt to read outside my "comfort zone". It has not been a successful experiment. I didn't like this book, I don't like this type of book and I'm not the correct person to review it. I will say this one thing however; certain texts are enhanced by the use of minimal punctuation and this isn't one of them.
Allegra moves out of her dad’s to live in Dublin and to work as a traffic warden, she wants to find her mom.

I found this book quite slow and even though I enjoyed the ending, I did struggle to read this.
I did enjoy this new story from an author I have read in the past and always liked her books..  Written in a bit of a different style in my opinion, for example, no speech marks etc when someone is talking which I found a little difficult to get to grips with initially, but once I had got over that, I got into the story.  I was never quite sure where it was going to end up or what was going to become of Freckles in the end but in that way, it had me turning the pages to find out.  I was a bit concerned that it wasn't going to end up how I was hoping, but, although not as I expected, it did all come together in the end!

Thank you to Net Galley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book (albeit a bit late - sorry!) in exchange for an honest opinion, which is what I have given.
Took me awhile to get into as some of the characters were hard to take to in the beginning, definitely one to stick to as it  ended up being an enjoyable read.
I loved this book and thought it read like a song, so beautiful. Allegra Bird is a quirky character and after an angry motorist shouts at her during her day as a traffic warden "you are the sum of the 5 people you spend the most time with" she starts to seek and explore her 5 and it wasn't who she thought it was going to be
A story of relationships, genuine connections, authenticity and hope
Cecelia Ahern has created another spellbinding book that will keep you wanting to read from page 1. It is a lovely story of connection, relationships and authenticity.
I have given Freckles by Cecelia Ahern three out of five stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️

I really enjoyed learning about the characters in this story and I thought the character development did not go amiss, however this was probably the main part of the book that kept me from putting it down.

It’s definitely a slow read, unfortunately for me I’ve been in a reading slump for the majority of 2022 so this didn’t help bring me out of the slump. There are a few jumps into the past which I thought at first were a little random however, as you read on it starts to make sense and you can put two and two together with what the author is trying to get across to the audience.

The ending of this book was so wholesome and a “feel good” moment which I thoroughly enjoyed and thought our main character, Allegra Bird, deserved.

I really enjoyed learning about Allegra Bird and thought she was a very kind and caring character with unresolved issues which she was desperate to deal with. Allegra definitely grew as a person towards the end of the book and will strive forward now knowing who her real friends and the most important five people in her world are.
I wanted to love it, but unfortunately I didn't. I struggled to get into it and it just felt a bit too meh for me. It was an ok read but not one I would recommend or one that I would read again.
Without a doubt one of my all time favourite reads. Freckles drew me in and when I had to put the book down I just couldn't wait to be back with Allegra again! Complex, beautiful and gripping. My only fault is the book wasn't long enough. I love Freckles and can imagine it on the small screen.
My initial impression was this is not for me .It appeared too 'modern' for me and not my usual type of reading.. However, I persevered and found myself wondering what was going to happen. The main character was a crazy mixed up kid who I thought, at first may been on the spectrum but the more I read and learned about her suggested otherwise.  I found this an incredibly sad story and although the ending was happy in some ways, it still left you feeling sad. What I thought was a typical 'chick lit' story turned out to be extremely insightful and explored a lot of the issues around today. all in all, a good read.
I've read many if Cecelia Aherns books and enjoy them immensely. However,  this one felt different. Still a good read but not as magnetic as her earlier ones.
Cecialia Ahern is a wonderful writer, easy to read and very compassionate. not usually my cup of tea but I still quite enjoyed this title.
Another incredible book by Cecilia Ahern - what a beautiful story packed with heartwarming, uplifting and though-provoking narrative. This novel is funny and sad in equal parts but ultimately uplifting and life affirming.
Recommend to anyone in need of a deep and meaningful novel.
It was okay — that’s the best I can say for it. The storyline was rather slow and the style of writing without any quotation marks for spoken words was rather unusual. Easy enough, mindless read though and it all comes together nicely at the end but not the most amazing book I’ve ever read.
My first Cecilia Abernathy book.
Not sure what I thought of it when I finished it but on reflection it was an interesting read and a departure from my usual reads.
I struggled to like some of the characters which is why  my rating is 3 stars ⭐️.
Going to read some of her other books now to get a better feeling for her writing.
Thanks to Netgalley for allowing me to read this book in return for a fair review.
I have always been a big fan of Cecelia ahern and this one lived up to my expectations and I loved it once again! This book is fab and I would definitely recommend picking it up as a summer read - solid 5 stars from me!
I find Ahern's books I either absolutely adore or absolutely not for me.

Sadly, this was one of the latter. I DNF it at 30%
Written in typical Ahern style, this was a great read, easy but with a little undertone.

I'd recommend this for a holiday read - thanks for letting me review this.
You are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. When a stranger sats this to Allegra Bird, nicknamed Freckles, it turns her highly ordered life upside down. Allegra is very likeable and I liked the storyline idea but found this book a bit slow and lacking a bit of depth. Overall not bad though!
24-year-old Allegra Bird has the perfect routine to her daily life. She lives in the garage extension of a wealthy family - rent cheap on the assumption she will babysit whenever they need her, and every day she starts her morning with a coffee and Belgian waffle before starting her beat as a parking enforcement officer. But there's a reason Allegra moved from her small Kerry town, away from her beloved dad, to a seaside suburb in Dublin but she hasn't built up the courage yet to fulfil her mission. When a man angry at his parking ticket berates her one day, he says something that shakes Allegra to the core and she starts a new project to surround herself with the type of people she wants to learn from but in the process she learns more about herself.

CW: Self harm

This book surprised me in how much I ended up enjoying it by the end (genuine tears in my eyes/lump in my throat at some bits at the end!). I think I was being a bit snobby thinking this was going to be fine, but nothing amazing and while it wasn't the best book I've read this year, I thoroughly enjoyed the story and Allegra's journey.

While not specifically stated on page, it definitely reads like Allegra could be neurodivergent- she isn't always the best socially in terms of understanding social cues and etiquettes and the best thing to say, and she also likes order and routine, and if these are messed up, she can get very upset. I felt for Allegra as she sought to understand the '5 people in your life' saying, and how she reached out to those she admired in the desire to learn from them.

I was iffy about Tristan developing a close relationship with Allegra at first, considering how he had acted towards her but I actually grew to really like their friendship and how we leaned more about Tristan, his 'Rooster' identity and how he was striving to be more, and how Allegra helped him do this.

I loved the father-daughter relationship in this too and Allegra's bond with Pops was just so, so lovely though I'm biased as I am also very close to my dad so I love reading similar. Sometimes a girl just needs her dad, and it was this type of scene near the end that brought me to tears. Pops was a wonderful character, odd in his own way exactly like Allegra but totally accepting of the type of person she was.

There were moments in this that were hard to read due to a myriad of reasons from Allegra's experience of self harm when she was younger, to even the awkward and second hand embarrassment a reader could feel when she was committing a social faux pas. I loved Allegra's job as a still life model, and this control over her body, and the way she was able to see parts of herself in others work was just so interesting to read.

I'd definitely recommend this book, and would also recommend the audiobook if people had access to it as it was a great listen.