Cover Image: We Are Not Like Them

We Are Not Like Them

As the story is told by POVs of both sides, it reminded me of 𝑆𝑚𝑎𝑙𝑙 𝐺𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑡 𝑇ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 by Jodi Picoult which I love and recommend along with this book if you are interested in learning about institutional racism.

This book makes us think about racism, but ultimately this is also about friendship between the two women, which I think softened the harshness and difficulty the racism topic brings to the book.  I liked that about this book.

It’s really interesting that this book is written by co-authors, a white author and a black author.  I think it’s really great to see a collaborative effort on racism.  I didn’t feel like this book was written by two authors, so I think it successfully integrated both voices.

Thank you @netgalley and @hqstories for giving me the digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
It was a thought provoking story.    A little self righteous in some places and almost predictable in others.  But still well written and kept you interested to the end.
When a black teenage boy is shot the lives of two women are turned upside down. Jen is white, Riley is black. They have been friends since they were five years old. Jen’s husband is one of the police officers involved in the shooting. How will this affect their friendship?
As the community takes sides will their friendship survive?
This is a thoughtful and emotive read which is topical in our current world.
This book had me in tears from the start. A very powerful and current topic at the moment it is a difficult subject to read about but the authors make you like both characters who are thrust in a difficult and tragic situation. This book is packed with strong female characters I loved Gigi my favourite by far. A must read.
Thanks to netgalley for my advanced copy.
I love that this book was written by one black and one white author, who had previously worked together as an author-editor publishing partnership. We Are Not Like Them was completed shortly before the murder of George Floyd, but as the novel's Black characters are painfully aware, there was no shortage of people to mourn already - Tamir Rice, Eric Garner and Trayvon Martin are all named.

The novel focuses on Riley, a polished, highly educated Black newscaster, and her best friend Jen, a white woman who describes herself as a knockoff Gwyneth Paltrow (the trailer park version). Jen wants desperately to be a mother; she's married to a cop, and struggling with being part of his highly traditional family (in which she chafes at having to be in the kitchen making appetisers while the men watch football games). Jen is heavily pregnant and has almost achieved her dream, including a potential change of career, when her husband is involved in the shooting of an unarmed Black teenager and everything swiftly goes to hell, including the years of loving friendship between Riley and Jen.

This novel explores the limits of understanding and some of the awkwardness that occurs when Jen's understandable desire for everything to be OK, and to keep her family together, clashes with Riley's increasing awareness of the racism that's been directed at her all her life and the trauma of knowing young Black people are constantly killed on the streets. I also loved the secondary characters - Gigi, Riley's magnificent Grandma, Lou, Jenny's chain-smoking bartender mother and even Cookie, Jenny's monstrous mother-in-law who still loves her family and whose loyalty, no matter how misplaced, eventually comes into its own.
“It’s a paradox, loving someone precisely because you know them so well, inside and out, and at the same time nursing a small fantasy that they can be different in the specific ways you want them to be.”

Fantastic novel about the complexities of race and friendship. The authors did an excellent job writing this story together and creating empathy for all characters. Also a great reminder that the most difficult conversations truly make a difference. Highly recommended.
I really, really enjoyed this book. It was amazing! The way the story was told - raw and truthful struck me a lot. In parts it was difficult to read, however the story being told was a difficult one.

I don’t feel like I can say too much about the story as I don’t want to give too much away. The story was told with passion, humanity and overall rawness.

I would absolutely recommend this to everyone.
WOW I’m not even sure where to begin with this book and nothing I write will ever do this justice. It was such a powerfully emotive read on such a current book that will leave me thinking about it for a very long time.
The story follows Jen and Riley who have been best friend since they were 5 and both alike in many ways except one big way, Jen is white and Riley is back. Jen’s policeman husband is then involved in the shooting of a black teenager who was unarmed which causes both women’s worlds to be turned upside down and inside out. Jen has to support her husband through the aftermath of that fateful night while being heavily pregnant and Riley is the lead journalist on the story through the news channel that she works for and is dealing with the stark reality that this could have indeed been her loved ones that suffered brutality at the hands of the police force.
The way that this story is told is incredible, it doesn’t shy away or gloss over the difficult topics and although it makes for difficult and uncomfortable reading at times it deals with the emotions, difficulties and uncertainties experienced by black people in the USA on a daily basis, and it did it masterfully. One of the unique things about this book for me was that it was written by an author from the black community and an author from the white community and so both sides were explored with equal attention and mastery which gave for the reader a very truthful and realistic account.
I can’t tell you anything about this book without spoiling it and I refuse to do that so all I can say is I cannot recommend this book enough, please read it.
This was a very timely read due to what’s going on right now in the world.  An AMAZING story and one that will stay with me for some time to come.
This was a good book, which I raced through in one sitting.
Through the story of Riley and Jen we see a wonderfully close friendship, which is put under immense pressure.
As events unfold and larger issues in society need to be confronted, the cracks start to show and it makes each woman question how well they really know each other and whether they can ever really understand life walking in another persons shoes.

I thought this was a good book, with a number of thought provoking paragraphs. It is well written, flows smoothly and deals with a difficult topic in a very balanced way.
I am happy to recommend this book and rated it 4 stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️.
I’m not sure I can do this book justice with my review. Such a powerful, important read of what is unfortunately a very current topic. I want to thank HQ for giving me the opportunity to read this emotional and thought provoking book.

Jen and Riley have been best friends since they were 5 years old. Jen is white, Riley is black. One doesn’t see race as an issue, one unfortunately knows that it is. When Jen’s husband, a policeman, is involved in the shooting of an unarmed black teenage boy, both women’s lives are turned upside down. Jen is heavily pregnant with their first baby which was conceived through IVF and is now trying to support her husband through the aftermath of that night. Riley is appointed the lead journalist on the story by her news channel, and is facing the reality that this could have easily been her brother or any of her loved ones killed at the hand of police brutality.

This story explores so many emotions and the realities of the difficulties many black peoples face every day. As well as being a very well written story, it was an education. I really loved that this book was written by two authors, one white and one black, so that both of the characters experiences could be properly explained and narrated with honesty and truth.

I urge anyone who wants to support the need for change in the world to read this, and would suggest that anyone who doesn’t think there is a need for change to make sure they read it!
Jen and Riley are lifelong friends. But their relationship is threatened when Jen's husband, a police officer, is involved in the killing of a 14 year old black boy. Riley, a TV reporter, brings a black perspective to the story.

Jen considers herself 'colour blind' and her view of the killing (evocative of any number of black deaths at the hands of the police) is coloured by the impending prosecution of her husband. Riley is deeply impacted by the death and by her friend's ignorance of the prejudice Riley encounters on a daily basis.

There are important questions raised about the continued prevalence of racism in society and white privilege. Even towards the end of the story, Jen still seems blasé about the ways in which white people benefit at the expense of black people.

The story remains focused on the personal repercussions of the death rather than widening the story, which weakens any message. And introducing a mixed race relationship into the story seemed unnecessary.
Topical and very realistic portrayal of a biracial friendship. Thought provoking and kept me hooked til the end.
Brilliant contemporary story looking at how world events can affect friends from different ethnicities. Particularly topical with the Derek Chavin trial and murders of black teenagers in the US. Reminding us that life and friendships are complex and not binary depending on what your background and ethnicity are but that world events can influence relationships.
I received this as an ARC on NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review

Actual rate: 4
Good:
- Incredibly relevant storyline
- Hard hitting and emotive story
- three-dimensional characters who had motives and feelings that made sense

Bad:
- it didnt feel as in-depth as i wished

This book is so relevant and while it was a really difficult and emotive read, I did feel that it was important to keep the way the issues were presented. The characters inspired so much empathy and I felt myself hurting along with them and feeling exactly what they did. They definitely felt real and like this could be on the news tonight, which hurt so much.

Hard hitting, no-sugar-coating and sharply real.

I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. Its an important read, especially for adults who maybe arent very knowledgeable about the BLM movement and police brutality.

Overall: 4/5
We Are Not Like Them is a brilliantly written story about friendship and racism. What happens when white police officers shoot and kill a black child? What happens to the friendship of the officers while and her Black best friend?  Everyone should read this book, it is thought provoking and highlights the ways people can be unconsciously racist. Brilliant book.
The way this story has been told, with no gloss around the difficult parts struck me first. It makes for uncomfortable reading in places, but it's a difficult story, one that could have been lifted straight from a news reel out today, so it shouldn't be a glossy comfortable read about how it all comes good in the end, because these situations don't.

The way the narrative is set never allows the humanity of any of the characters to be forgotten, so each of them is seen as a whole, a crucial point in a story like this where the communication is that we need frank, honest dialogue for real change to happen. To allow us to grow and do better for each other. For some of us not to be so self obsessed and fear driven that we can't see past our own privilege.

It's hard to sum this book up without delving into the story itself and it goes against my grain as a reader to spoil something for anyone else. Just read this book. Read it with an open mind and learn something from it to take forward with you.
Riley and Jen have been best friends since childhood. Jen is white and doesn't feel like race has ever affected their relationship and Riley is black and has a slightly different experience. As adults, Jen is now married to a police officer and her husband shoots and kills an unarmed black boy. Riley is a local newsreporter and is involved in reporting the case. This book is such an interesting concept but I found that it maybe didn't go as indepth as it could have. The two women both narrate the story so we hear a lot of worry about her husband from Jen and hurt that Riley isn't in touch as much as she could. It's such a complex topic and I felt as though this book shyed away from that a little bit and made it more of a light read than it could have been. Although it was an enjoyable enough read I wouldn't mark it as a 'must read'.
Date reviewed/posted: March 28, 2021
Publication date: October 5, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you are continuing to #maskup and #lockdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #secondwave ( #thirdwave ?)is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today.

Not every story is black and white.

Riley and Jen have been best friends since they were children, and they thought their bond was unbreakable. It never mattered to them that Riley is black and Jen is white.

And then Jen's husband, a Philadelphia police officer, is involved in the shooting of an unarmed black teenager and everything changes in an instant.

This one act could destroy more than just Riley and Jen's friendship. As their community takes sides, so must Jen and Riley, and for the first time in their lives, the lifelong friends find themselves on opposing sides.

But can anyone win a fight like this?

We Are Not Like Them is about friendship and love. It's about prejudice and betrayal. It's about standing up for what you believe in, no matter the cost.

This is a searingly awesome book - race and police are so relevant right now and this book proves that in one millisecond everything can turn on its ear. Not all police are racist or "bad" but some are and this book covers that range of officers. This is expertly crafted and the alternating narrative was well handled as both voices were strong and handled well. I will recommend it HIGHLY to friends, family, patrons and strangers on the tube, especially those with books as they are easy to chat to. (And once they figure out that I am Canadian, not American, they tend to talk to me even more! ... lol ... )

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🚓 👮‍♂️🚓👮‍♂️🚓
Very good book. Some intense and thought provoking issues written in a sensitive manner. How far would you go to defend a friendship of decades?