Cover Image: How to Save a Life

How to Save a Life

__________________________________________

I had seen so many good things about this book! So I knew I had to request a copy and I was kindly accepted :)

It’s based on the lives of three characters and how their paths cross through life after an incident when they were young. It also shows how certain actions or things you do/say can Impact you and others for the rest of their lives! It’s quite a thought provoking novel!

I really liked how throughout the book there were Instructions on how to save a life . It was very clever and felt like you were genuinely learning something as well as enjoying a story.

I was particularly keen on the characters, they had their likeable traits but at times I found them annoying but to be honest they were very genuine and real people! It was very much real life!

I did at some parts throughout the book find myself wondering where it was going as it didn’t really have a ‘plot’ as such. It just tells the story of their lives. But I enjoyed the book never the less and it was cleverly written.

It isn’t my usual book genre so it was a nice change and Eva is a very talented writer!

Thank you @netgalley and @panmacmillan for the opportunity to read and review how to save a life.
Joel, Tim, Kerry, three people many of us have met in our life, not with the same story but the same hope, spirit and determination. I loved this book. It was emotive just at the right times, and with a strong enough narrative to take you through their lives.
Would recommend and buy.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review.
One night Joel’s heart stops. Standing on the sidelines of the football pitch, Kerry sees Joel fall. Her first aid training kicks in and she performs CPR to save Joel’s life. Her friend Tim freezes and is unable to help.

How To Save a Life deals with the events of the following 18 years. Joel, Kerry and Tim’s lives intertwine, sometimes straying apart, sometimes colliding together. The book discusses guilt and fate and shows how easily somebody’s life can fall apart - but also how someone can pick up the pieces and start to rebuild.

The book dives into hard-hitting issues and important topics, dealing with substance abuse, mental health and dealing with death. I was absolutely engrossed in the stories of the characters - the impact one action can have on somebody years later and how they deal with this. When I read the description I wasn’t expecting to love this book as much as I did - it really surprised me. It’s really well-written, and I’m still thinking about it now a few weeks later. I definitely recommend it!
What a beautiful book! A love story involving three main characters and told from each character's point of view. Follow Kerry, Tim and Joel's entwined lives starting from a fateful event on New Year's Eve 1999. Joel, a popular and talented footballer has his whole life mapped out as a promising football apprentice with Dolphins FC until his heart stops whilst playing football with his friends on the eve of the new Millennium. Kerry who hopes to become a doctor starts to work on bringing Joel back whilst Tim who also dreams of becoming a doctor simply freezes.

WIthout giving too much away you follow all 3 character's lives against a backdrop of major events that we have all lived through like 911, 7/7 bombings in London etc. Sometimes life doesn't always work out how you planned; in your career or your love life and every time you think certain characters are getting their lives together, something else happens to change the course of their futures.

The detailed medical side of the book is informative and explained well and fits perfectly into the structure of the story and ultimately you realise there are many ways to save a life.

Thank you to Eva Carter and NetGalley for the chance to read an advanced copy of How To Save a Life. Expect this beautiful love story to be a popular read next year. A 5 star read!
This story follows two people after a life changing moment. It is a coming of age story that takes an in-depth look into topics I haven’t seen covered in books before and some that I have like substance abuse.

The important steps to take in an emergency are cleverly woven into the story and means that this book carry’s a very important message.

I was close to tears at the end and then I read the authors note and I was in floods.
Absolutely loved this book from page one. Three incredible main characters, dozens of delicate topics written about sensitively and informatively (addiction, depression, PTSD, terminal illness, unrequited love, unwanted pregnancies, miscarriage, abortion). Definitely had the feel of Sally Rooney’s Normal People, I loved Kerry and Joel just as much! Really loved that it was set in my hometowns of Brighton, Worthing and Arundel too!

I went into this book thinking it may be a teen-romance read but it was SO much more than that! Would love to find out what happens to Kerry, Joel and Tim in their 40s!

I will definitely be recommending this to all my friends... A beautiful book!

Thank you so much to the publisher, author and Netgalley for this digital ARC.
This book follows three 18 year old medical students and friends, Kerry and Tim, and Joel - a promising footballer about to sign for the Dolphins. On New Year’s Eve, at a party Kerry and Tim are watching a football match and Kerry, who fancies Joel, witnesses him dropping to the ground.  When he doesn’t move, she realises something is badly wrong and runs to help, administering CPR, while Tim on the other hand, stands frozen unable to move.

The story goes on and is then told from the three perspectives over the next 18 years and gives us an insight into their own personal lives, their thoughts dealing with personal topics including depression and mental health and this draws us in and makes the characters come to life and the story so realistic.  The narrative is excellent as we see them crossing paths and coming in and out of each other’s lives. in the aftermath of that since that fateful millennium eve.

Not my usual type of book, but so glad I read it!  Highly recommend.
How to Save a Life involves three main characters;  Kerry, Joel and Tim.
Kerry and Tim have been best friends since primary school and are both hoping to become Drs, Joel is a superstar footballer who has a bright footballing career ahead of him. Celebrating the New Year, Joel collapses and Kerry delivers CPR whilst Tim watches on - shellshocked - unable to help.
The book details how each of the characters stories intertwine with each other, Kerry and Joel, Kerry and Tim and so forth for many years.
We read how once promised aspirations are snatched away in the blink of an eye and how each character deals with the fallout.

It is cleverly written with advice on how performing CPR is critical until medical. tried help arrives.
The story is heartbreaking in sections and throughout, I couldn't help to think that there were many 'sliding door moments.'

I really enjoyed reading How to save a life.
The first chapter had me gripped, and it didn't let go of me till the end. I won't spoil this book for you, but this is one of my favourite reads of 2020. I am going to get the paperback for my reading buddies, and I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Amazing title too!
I really loved this book and I was heavily invested in Kerry and Joel's characters and really wanted to see a happy ever after (Tim not so much).

The story centres on what happens when a life is saved through CPR, the repercussions and fall outs when the path you thought you were on, gets changed.  It also covers, over 18 years, other heavy topics like depression, addiction, obiligation, fear and guilt but without it being a sad, melancholy read.

Throughout the book there are instructions on how to give CPR and the importance of acting fast which was a great refresher for me and may even help a reader save a life in the future.

Great book and would definitely recommend!
Date reviewed: August 13, 2020

When life for the entire universe and planet turns on its end and like everyone else you "have nothing to do" while your place of work is closed and you are continuing to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation,  superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. And it is way too hot to go outside, so why not sit in from of the blasting a/c and read and review books??  BTW - stay home and save lives!!!!!!!! No tan is worth dying for.

Joel’s heart stops as the rest of the world welcomes the start of a new century. What happens next will change the course of three people’s lives forever.

It’s nearly midnight when Joel’s heart stops. Kerry saves his life, performing CPR for eighteen long minutes, whilst her best friend Tim freezes, unable to help.

That moment of life and death changes the course of all three lives over the next eighteen years: each time Kerry, Joel and Tim believe they’ve found love, discovered their vocation, or simply moved on, their lives collide again.

Structured around the four simple steps that can save a life, this is both a love story and an exploration of what it means to be brave – because bravery isn't just about life or death decisions; it’s also about how to keep on living afterwards. . .

First off, I cannot get the lyrics to the Fray's song "How to Save a life" running through my head as I am a HUGE "Grey's Anatomy" fan and that song is redolent in all seasons: I actually told hubby that went he show is over, we would be cancelling our cable.

I absolutely loved this book - its structure is unique and I loved how it brought the characters back time and time again as we all say in my one book club that we have people in our life that we run into time and time again years apart and that they are there for a reason. (We all have people that we pray we don't run into again but that is a whole different book club discussion!)

The book was wonderfully crafted and totally readable - I absolutely inhaled it in one sitting (yes, I read super-fast).  I feel like I am pregnant with this book as it comes out nine months from today and that I cannot wait to give birth to it - mark its release date and/or pre-order it as you will want to read this book.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I love emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube  Millionaires/etc. " on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🚑🚑🚑🚑🚑 (And hope that somehow McDreamy and McSteamy are there waiting for you!)
Such a lovely, fantastic book! I liked the three characters equally which is unusual for me. Excellent writing and character development. Perfect for your book club as the story deals with many controversial subjects and decisions.
I would say that the main theme of the book is self-actualisation, finding your own happiness and working hard to have the life you want. And, sometimes or in all times, how to thrive on your "option b".
I loved this book. Kerry, Joel and Tim will stay with me forever.
How To Save A Life tells the story of Kerry and Joel, both students. Joel is popular, a promising footballer, about to sign for the Dolphins under 23’s. Kerry is less popular, friends with Tim, both a little on the nerdy side.
New Years Eve 1999 sees them at a party, Joel playing football, with Kerry and Tim among the spectators, when Joel suddenly drops to the floor and doesn’t move. After a few moments Kerry realises something is badly wrong and rushes to help.
The book follows Kerry, Joel and Tim throughout the next few years and each chapter is told from one of their perspectives. For whatever reason, I expected How To Save A Life to be a light-hearted read. I was wrong. It is a beautifully told, passionate and descriptive story of life, mistakes and joy. I loved it and would thoroughly recommend it. It’s one of those books which I raced to the end because I wanted to know what happened and then was so sad when I realised  I had finished it. Top marks.
Many thanks to the author, Netgalley and the publisher for allowing me to read an advance copy of this book.
I was expecting this to be a little like One Day, but it actually came across more like Normal People, high calibre writing and a book that literally could save a life.

When Kerry  jumps into action on New Year’s Eve, with all of her St Johns Ambulance learned skills little did she know it would spark a lifetime of events.  As fireworks are going off all around Joel collapses. Kerry rushes to his aide whilst best friend Tim freezes only to take the credit later on.

For Joel, who had a promising footballing career, he can no longer see a future for himself and takes the path of self destruction. Kerry puts those around her first and misses the opportunity to live the life she imagined for herself. Tim seems to reap all of the rewards, in his education, his home life and the relationship he forms with Kerry. But is this who they all were really meant to be?

Missed opportunities, miscommunication, missed timings and missing letters.. so many what if moments. Does it all work out in the end? Read it and see!
Wow I read this amazing book in a night, It tells the story of 3 Teenagers , Joel, Kerry & Tim and what happens to them over the next 18 years after Joel has a heart attack on  New years Eve & Kerry Gives him CPR and saves his life.

I would recommend this book to everyone as it such a good book to read

With thanks to Netgalley & Pan macmillion for the ARC of this book on exchange for this review
A reminder that sometimes, some lives are just meant to be intertwined because of one event. The book serves two purposes- to inform the reader of what to do if you're with someone who goes into cardiac arrest and secondly, to take you on a journey through the 3 charactes relationships where the outcome is determined by one event in the characters history. Its well written with highs and a lot of lows. The ending was inevitable but satisfying. I liked how each character has a story arch that intertwines but each chapter is clearly earmarked for one character and their story, it helps the reader to get to know each of the 3 main characters.  Its disappointing that Tim doesnt have a real conclusion. Despite all the sad events in the book, it has a happy ever after feel but in a realistic way. It wont let me link to goodreads but I'll post the review on there too.
This starts out reading like a Young Adult book about teenage love but as it followed the main 3 characters through their lives into their mid thirties it it really grew on me. The narrative flowed and it was a great page turner. I'm having a bit of a stressful time at present and can't really cope with intricate plots and acres of erudite description, so this book really hitt he spot. It's set in Brighton which I know very well so that was a nice touch for me. I could see this as a Monday night type drama series about thwarted amabitions and love. I was glad there were no nasty murders or "thriller" just a bittersweet tale with flawed, human characters.
A love story involving ordinary people over an 18 year period, quite hard hitting at time so not an airy fairy romance.  A real roller coaster with realistic situations with many twists and turns with a nod to real life events in the background, 9/11, terrorism etc.  The story is told from the viewpoint of the 3 main characters, Kerry, Joel and Tim with their journey through life with all the obstacles thrown at them, as they mature from optimistic 17/18 year olds.  Well drawn and believable characters dealing with the nitty gritty of the medical world.  Totally gripping but enjoyable at the same time.  Definitely worth a read.
How To Save A Life - Eva Carter
Publisher: Pan MacMillan,  Mantle Books
Publication Date - 11/3/2021

No Spoilers
 ⭐️  ⭐️  ⭐️  ⭐️  ⭐️

I was invited to read a selection of books due to be released in 2021 and this one caught my eye.
Told in alternating chapters Kerry, Tim and Joel, these are 3 ordinary people, bound together by an extraordinary event which happens on New Year’s Eve 1999.  Several events, spanning the next 18 years, conspire to bring them together and then drive them apart again but it always feels incredibly real and absorbing. . I usually read crime novels but I found the medical setting very interesting and it was obviously very well researched. I learned a lot too.
Well written, realistic characters and an engaging and interesting plot, this would make a great tv series or film. It would also be a fantastic Book Club pick due to the many moral conundrums it throws up throughout.

I’ve read a lot of books in lockdown but this has to be my favourite to date. I can’t  recommend it enough.

I’d like to thank the author, publisher and netgalley for providing me with this advance digital copy in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.
How to save a life

I devoured this book in hours. I haven’t read anything as gripping in a long time. Bravo Eva Carter.

How to save a life tells of three protagonists- teenagers when we meet them - and weaves their life stories over decades as we see them love, lose, fail and continue to carry on.

I loved the character Kerry and genuinely found myself raging at circumstances which occurred and seemed to get in her way but that is testament to how well Carter crafts her and how keenly I wanted her to succeed.

The medical side of things was incredibly interesting and well researched. I found it fascinating and it was a great hook for each character as they had their own dealings with medicine and how their own lives are saved both literally and metaphorically.

All in all I couldn’t recommend this book more. I cared, I laughed and read the last few chapters with baited breath. Brilliant read.
5 stars.

Thanks to panmacmillan, to netgalley and the talented Eva Carter for the ARC which I received in return for this honest review