Cover Image: Mother Loves Me

Mother Loves Me

This is a really solid debut thriller, with a good dose of horror meandering through the narrative. I really enjoyed reading this and was kept in the edge of my seat, unable to guess how things would progress.

The setting is vividly described and I felt transported to the world Davies created. There’s some genuinely unsettling moments and Mother is a truly scary character!

A very well paced, twisted tale - Davies is an author to watch out for.
A gripping read! Highly recommend for fans of Shari Lapena and other authors of mystery/crime/thriller. An absolute must read
This book started off so well and dragged me into it's creepy home with Mother and Mirabelle, and the later addition of Clarabelle.  The atmosphere, tension and unpleasantness of their lifestyle came through the book perfectly and I was well and truly hooked.

However, halfway through the book it stopped being thrilling and started being unrealistic and unbelievable,  and I struggled to connect with what was happening.  It made me annoyed that it started so well, and then crossed a line into ridiculous.  The ending was rushed and silly too.

2.5* for the first half of the book, nothing for the second half, sorry.
Mirabelle is not like other children. She’s dressed and made up to look like a doll - and must do as Mother says as Mother knows best... or does she??

Now that wasn’t what I was expecting!

Mother loves me is like watching a horror movie where the baddie just doesn’t give up.

Set in the late 70’s I loved the description of the psychedelic clothes and wallpaper and could imagine how difficult it was for Mirabelle to do anything without the mod cons we are used to today - even the fact there was no phone!

It kept me guessing all the way though as I was never quite sure what was going to happen or what the outcome would be.

It was quite dramatic in places with the added bit of gore and horror too.

A really chilling tale any an excellent debut by Abby Davies. I really hope she’s got more novels in her as I loved this one and can’t wait for her next.
This is a creepy read.  I found it a slow starter but once I was in I was hooked.  This is a well written debut novel and I can't wait to read more from this author.

I would like to thank NetGalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Wow what a great read this was, gripped me from the first page, loved everything about this story and a great ending x
WHAT HAVE I JUST READ ? I am going to be having proper nightmares for sure. What a thriller, what a book!

𝐎𝐧𝐞 𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥. 𝐌𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞’𝐬 𝐦𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐨𝐯𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫. 𝐒𝐡𝐞’𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 ‘𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐭𝐥𝐞 𝐝𝐨𝐥𝐥’. 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫, 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐩𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐬 𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐡𝐚𝐢𝐫. 𝐁𝐮𝐭 𝐚𝐬 𝐌𝐢𝐫𝐚𝐛𝐞𝐥𝐥𝐞 𝐠𝐫𝐨𝐰𝐬, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐝𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬𝐞𝐬 𝐧𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐭 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐚𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐥𝐥, 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐜𝐞 𝐩𝐚𝐢𝐧𝐭 𝐧𝐨 𝐥𝐨𝐧𝐠𝐞𝐫 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐬 𝐪𝐮𝐢𝐭𝐞 𝐬𝐨 𝐩𝐫𝐞𝐭𝐭𝐲. 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐌𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐢𝐬𝐧’𝐭 𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐩𝐲

I could not put this down. It was fast-paced, creepy and I just needed to know what was going to happen next !

Mother. My god - what a character. Mother Gothel meets Mary Shaw. Terrifying. Psychotic. But brilliant. And Mirabelle - I was rooting for her from page 1.

The authors writing style was so engaging, the attention to detail was brilliant and the plot was so original, twisted and terrifying. She lured you into a false sense of security and then WHAM. This book gave me goosebumps. Amazing.

A must read.

Thank you to Abby Davies, Harper Collins and Netgalley for my copy of this little gem
Dark and twisty thriller with a shockingly unusual storyline. Part thriller. Part horror. Scary stuff.
I requested this book after hearing so many recommendations for it. When I first started to read I was unsure but after a few chapters I was sucked in. What a gripping creepy story it turned out to be, and brilliant for a debut novel. It would make a great film. Highly recommended
Thanks to netgalley for the chance to read this book.

Oh wow!!! What a book. Couldn’t put it down.

When Mirabelle celebrates her 13th birthday mother brings her a present another little girl called Clarabella who is only 5.  Clarabella tells Mirabelle that her real name is Emma and she wants her mummy. This sparks thoughts in Mirabelle that mother is telling them both lies and goes snooping to find evidence that proves mother is not her mom.  She makes a plan for her and Clarabella escape.  Can they escape without getting caught.
Oh my goodness! I am still shivering! This is a great psychologist thriller that taps into all our fears! A really great piece of writing that I didn’t want to end.
I have read some amazing books over the last year, but this one is definitely right up there as one of my favourites!
Such an intense, psychological thriller that I honestly could not put down, and if it wasn't for the fact I have 2 small children, I would have read in one go.
Very fast paced, with a main character that you can't help be drawn to, and you feel her pain, fear, and triumphs throughout.
Fantastic book that I would highly recommend to anyone who likes these sorts of books.
Without a doubt , 5 stars for me
This book brings you in with a bang! The whole set up from the start hooks you from page one. I love a horrible character in books, and this mother is crazy! Just when you think she can't get any worse, she steps it up a level.
I loved Mirabelle, she was incredibly well written, and I felt like I went through everything that she did. This book was unlike anything I have read before, and I just had to keep turning the pages to see what happened next, an easy 5/5
I would firstly like to thank Netgalley and the publishers for allowing me the opportunity to read this book in exchange for an honest review.

I've got chills!!
A dark, claustrophobic, sinister read that sent shivers down my spine throughout!
I was completely gripped from start to finish!!
There were a few minor plot annoyances, but overall a intense, captivating read that I just devoured.
Mother was a real villain, and while, yes she had a reason for being like she was, I felt great satisfaction for truly hating her! An excellently-written, completely unhinged character, whose madness and evil ways terrified me!
Mirabelle was an brilliant narrator, and quickly became someone to root for! Her naive courage dominated the book, and I loved her!
I CAN'T WAIT for this author's next! Highly recommend this one!
WoW and Breathe!

Mother Loves Me by Abby Davies was one of the creepiest and darkest psychological thriller books I read in a long time. it was a excellent and I ended up reading it in one sitting. I was hooked from the very first few pages and before I knew it, it was sunrise! So, I would advise not to start a book just before you go to bed!!! So glad I was Day off the next day!

Mother Loves me The story is about a young girl called Mirabelle - the perfect little doll, who has been kept locked inside a cottage by her Mother. Mirabella is not allowed to go outside not even to go and play in her garden. Her mother tells her she has an allergy to the sun and how dangerous it is to go outside, even for a few seconds. Mirabella' 13 birthday is approaching and all she wants to do is go outside and play in the garden. She knows the answer is going to be NO of she asks her mother.
Then, just before Mirabella's birthday her mother brings home another little girl called Clarabella who is only 5 years old.
Mirabella starts to ask questions on where Clarabella has come from. etc.........Mother becomes annoyed with Mirabella and she is No longer her perfect little doll, Clarabella is taking her place!

OMG.......What a book!!!! I highly recommend this latest book By Abby.

Big Thank you to Netgalley and HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction for the arc of Mother Loves me by Abby Davies.
Mother Loves Me by Abby Davies is an intense psychological crime thriller that hooked me in immediately! This is Abby Davies's debut novel and what a debut!
Mirabelle is 13 years old and lives in a house with the windows boarded up. She has never seen the outside world, but why should she need to? Her mother sees to her every need, dresses her in frilly dresses, does her hair, paints her face. Mother loves her and calls Mirabelle 'her doll'. On her 13th birthday mother brings Mirabelle a special gift, a sister...now there are two dolls in the house and  Mirabelle knows only one is needed.
Well! What a book! Mirabelle automatically brought out my maternal side! I felt so sorry for this young girl who was becoming very, very aware of the danger she was in. I wanted to save her from page 1. Mother absolutely terrified me! Well and truly! A fast- paced, tense story that has you on the emotional rollercoaster straight away! I just couldn't stop reading! My heart was in my mouth with all the twists and turns to this intense book!
Thank you to @fictionpubteam and  NetGalley for the book to join in today.
An entertaining read , one of those books where you just have to keep on reading to find out what happens, though I found it extremely far fetched in parts especially near the end which really ruined it for me.
Well, this book was a wild ride! It surpassed all my expectations with its intense plot, stunning characters, and beautiful writing.

The book starts as Mirabelle turns 13. Every morning Mother paints her face, brushes her hair and gets her dressed. Mirabelle is Mother’s little doll. Then one day mother brings home another little girl, and she begins to sense something isn’t quite right...

This has to be one of the creepiest books I’ve ever read. The way Mother acted - especially as Mirabelle showed signs of puberty and her reactions to it were off the scale and I was so invested in finding out why.

I really felt for Mirabelle. I clocked what must have happened from the beginning, but it didn’t spoil the story. All she’d ever known was life with her and her mother. But when another little girl is welcomed into the house, she doubts her mother loves her and feels she isn’t good enough. I also found Mother’s backstory interesting, and I loved trying to work out why she was the way she was. I connected with Mirabelle and was desperate for her to see the truth and get to safety. I never could have predicted the wrath of Mother and what she would do to keep her there. But Mirabelle had such determination, and that just made me more invested - she refused to give up.

I was literally holding my breath in parts - absolutely terrified that when Mirabelle was hunting around for evidence mother would appear and stop her. I couldn’t stop reading because I needed to know what was going to happen next. It only got more of a rollercoaster and I was addicted to the story, the characters and what would happen next. There were so many twists and turns, most of which I didn’t see coming.

I am excited to see what this author writes next, I will definitely be the first in line to buy their books. I will recommend this book to everyone!
Brilliantly creepy and fantastic characterisation - a Room-style drama in some ways but very much it's own book. Would definitely recommend.
This was an a amazing read! It was creepy and chilling and oh so atmospheric! An absolutely great debut. I Loved the suspense and the twists. I finished this in one sitting as it had me gripped from the very beginning.