Cover Image: Mother Loves Me

Mother Loves Me

Mother Loves Me by Abby Davies is an intense psychological crime thriller that hooked me in immediately! This is Abby Davies's debut novel and what a debut!
Mirabelle is 13 years old and lives in a house with the windows boarded up. She has never seen the outside world, but why should she need to? Her mother sees to her every need, dresses her in frilly dresses, does her hair, paints her face. Mother loves her and calls Mirabelle 'her doll'. On her 13th birthday mother brings Mirabelle a special gift, a sister...now there are two dolls in the house and  Mirabelle knows only one is needed.
Well! What a book! Mirabelle automatically brought out my maternal side! I felt so sorry for this young girl who was becoming very, very aware of the danger she was in. I wanted to save her from page 1. Mother absolutely terrified me! Well and truly! A fast- paced, tense story that has you on the emotional rollercoaster straight away! I just couldn't stop reading! My heart was in my mouth with all the twists and turns to this intense book!
Thank you to @fictionpubteam and  NetGalley for the book to join in today.
An entertaining read , one of those books where you just have to keep on reading to find out what happens, though I found it extremely far fetched in parts especially near the end which really ruined it for me.
Well, this book was a wild ride! It surpassed all my expectations with its intense plot, stunning characters, and beautiful writing.

The book starts as Mirabelle turns 13. Every morning Mother paints her face, brushes her hair and gets her dressed. Mirabelle is Mother’s little doll. Then one day mother brings home another little girl, and she begins to sense something isn’t quite right...

This has to be one of the creepiest books I’ve ever read. The way Mother acted - especially as Mirabelle showed signs of puberty and her reactions to it were off the scale and I was so invested in finding out why.

I really felt for Mirabelle. I clocked what must have happened from the beginning, but it didn’t spoil the story. All she’d ever known was life with her and her mother. But when another little girl is welcomed into the house, she doubts her mother loves her and feels she isn’t good enough. I also found Mother’s backstory interesting, and I loved trying to work out why she was the way she was. I connected with Mirabelle and was desperate for her to see the truth and get to safety. I never could have predicted the wrath of Mother and what she would do to keep her there. But Mirabelle had such determination, and that just made me more invested - she refused to give up.

I was literally holding my breath in parts - absolutely terrified that when Mirabelle was hunting around for evidence mother would appear and stop her. I couldn’t stop reading because I needed to know what was going to happen next. It only got more of a rollercoaster and I was addicted to the story, the characters and what would happen next. There were so many twists and turns, most of which I didn’t see coming.

I am excited to see what this author writes next, I will definitely be the first in line to buy their books. I will recommend this book to everyone!
Brilliantly creepy and fantastic characterisation - a Room-style drama in some ways but very much it's own book. Would definitely recommend.
This was an a amazing read! It was creepy and chilling and oh so atmospheric! An absolutely great debut. I Loved the suspense and the twists. I finished this in one sitting as it had me gripped from the very beginning.
I really enjoyed this darkly disturbing book. Seriously creepy with bogeyman seemingly everywhere. This would make a fantastic movie! Very well written and flows seamlessly, really looking forward to more from this author.
Wow what a fantastic debut book.  I cannot wait to read more by Abby Davies.  This was a really gripping psychologic thriller with so many twists and turns I could not turn the pages fast enough.
Brilliant! This was well written and extremely creepy. I was mesmerised from beginning to  end The characters and storyline were fascinating. I thought about this book for days after I finished it.
Thank you Abby Davies for such wonderful writing and thank you Harper Collins and Netgalley for giving me the opportunity to give my unbiased opinion.
This is creepy! If you put to one side what’s normal and what’s real you will fall into the spell of this and it will suck you right in! It’s creepy and  pretty sinister. I really enjoyed it!
Woah Nelly....!!!

This is a book and a half that hits the ground running and doesn’t stop!

A total creepfest of a book seriously chilling, and bloody brilliant...unique storyline and I loved the characters too.

Mirabelle lives alone with her mum, and her mum says Mirabelle has a medical condition, and if she is exposed to the light, she will die. So she stays in the house 24/7 away from the light and people, her mum also dresses her up and paints her face like a doll, and on Mirabelle's 13th birthday, Mother brings home another child,  another doll this time it’s a 5 year old girl she calls Clarabelle, Mirabelle wonders where she came from and what will now happen to her?!

Brilliant story, I couldn’t stop reading it and didn’t get much sleep before or after I’d finished, one of my books of the year!!!!
Mother loves me is a creepy read and a good all rounder considering it's Abby Davies debut novel.

At thirteen Mirabelle has never seen the outside or ventured past her boarded up windows.
Every day her mother sits her down and applies make up as if she was a doll.
She is in fact a human doll to her mother.
She takes her out of her bedroom and plays with her when she sees fit.

One day mother comes home with a five year old called Clarabelle and soon things start to fall apart for Mirabelle and she realises that life is not how it should be and mother has secrets about her past, Clarabelle and more to the point her  mothers twin sister.

This book is a usual story, slightly exaggerated but Abby is great at creating suspense and the story will have you hating mother and turning pages quicker than mother can apply doll make up!

I'm really looking forward to more in the future from this author.

Thank you to Net galley and Harper Collins UK for the advanced copy.
An incredible read. I was hooked after the first chapter. The way Abby writes of Mirrabelle's battle with her feelings towards Mother as the story unfolded really made me feel part of the story.
I was on the edge of my seat, confused, fearful for Mirrabelle, constantly surprised and even emotional throughout the book
Holy Moly !!  What the heck have I just read.  Well I’ll tell you ..  An absolute spine chilling thriller of a book.  This book was just fantastic.  I had heard a few people say how good this book was and they certainly weren’t wrong. This is a creepy and sinister book and honestly at times my heart was in my mouth.  This is the authors debut thriller and I certainly cannot wait for her next book.  5 massive ⭐️ from me.
Mirabelle and her mother live alone. Mirabelle has a condition, Mother tells her, that if she is exposed to the light, she will die. Mother also likes to dress her up and paint her face like a doll. But on Mirabelle's 13th birthday, Mother brings home another doll,  a 5 year old girl she calls Clarabelle.  Where did Clarabelle come from and why does she insist her name is Emma?

Told entirely from the point of view of Mirabelle as she realises that at 13, she is no longer useful to her Mother playing the part of a compliant doll and, as Mirabelle starts to think for herself, she begins to see Mother in a new light and wonders what exactly "Mother" is hiding.

This book is so good! It hits the ground running and it seriously does not let up for a moment. It is chilling, claustrophobic and totally riveting.  It totally gave me vibes of The Act, the true crime drama where Patricia Arquette plays the part of the mother with Munchausens, along with glimpses of Baby Jane (the make up anyway!).  At times I was literally shouting at the book, with major goosebumps and my heart in my mouth as the suspense and tension skyrocketed! I just had one criticism in that at times Mirabelle seemed like a supremely mature 13 year old.  Having a 13 year old girl myself, I did question some things but I have to say it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the book. Overall though, pretty unputdownable 4.5/5*
This was a lovely read a first time writer and great debut. Loved the suspense and the twist and kept u on the edge and guessing well done more like thid
This was a really gripping, chilling read which I found very hard to put down. I read this book in two days which is no mean feat when you have three kids.

The reader is aware from the start that there is something very wrong with Marabella’s home life. As we follow her around her everyday routine we are made aware of the locked and covered windows alongside Mother’s habit of painting Marabella’s face so she looks like a doll. This made me immediately alert and I found I wanted to keep reading to find out what was going on but also put the book down as I wasn’t completely sure I wanted to know.

Marabella is a very sympathetic character who I felt incredibly sorry for. It was utterly heartbreaking to see how much she had been manipulated and brainwashed by mother. My heart went out to her as she scrambled to try and please mother whilst not understanding what she was doing wrong. I just wanted to reach into the book and give her a hug. Mother was a very sinister character who has obviously had a lot of trauma in her past which slowly gets revealed as the book went on. I, unsurprisingly, hated her and hoped she’d get her just desserts.

The story is told from Marabella’s point of view with the reader getting to discover the truth about her situation and mother at the same time as she does. I thought this was very effective and made me feel more involved in the story. There were a few moments when I felt like screaming into the book as I thought the truth was obvious but Marabella hadn’t figured it out yet.

Overall I thought this a fast paced, gripping read which grabbed my attention from the first page. It really managed to get inside my head so that I started to feel everything the characters were feeling. The ending was amazing but a shocking one which took me completely by surprise. I will definitely be recommending this book to everyone!

Huge thanks to Jen Harlow for inviting me onto the blog tour and to Harper for my copy of this book via Netgalley. If you like chilling, dark and gripping thrillers then you need to read this book.
I liked the whole idea behind this book. It was unique and kept my attention for the most part. Found it dragged a little in the middle but picked up again and I enjoyed the ending
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review on netgalley . This is a debut author and a fantastic debut thriller.

A deeply dark disturbing thriller that will get right under tour skin. Exciting and unpredictable.

I whizzed through this .

Every parents nightmare told through the eyes of the child.

Fast paced and chilling i look forward to reading more from her

Published 17th September
Thanks to HarperCollins UK, HarperFiction and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

In 'Mother Loves Me', Abby Davies written a psychological thriller that truly lives up to its billing. Too many novels are labelled as psychological thrillers, without any special recourse to the complexities of the human condition and how this is expressed in both thought and deed. This does not apply to Abby Davies, nor does it apply to 'Mother Loves Me', which elucidates in chilling detail how the powerful notions of maternal love can be distorted by an irreparably damaged human psyche. The mother-daughter bond, explored through the lens of what vaguely be described as munchausen by proxy, is powerfully and thoughtfully deconstructed by Davies in this edgy and twisty thriller. Because make no mistake, the unusual parameters of Mirabelle's relationship with her mother is just the beginning. As a human doll who is subjected to the aging process outlives its usefulness, Mirabelle fears this is the motivation behind the appearance of a new, 5 year old sister, Clarabelle. As the story plays out, Davies expertly ratchets up the tension, and just when you think the story has reached its apogee, she surprises us with yet more bone chilling revelations. Haunting, horrific and dark - a tour de force of a psychological thriller.
Absolutely brilliant story. One of the most gripping ones I've ever read. So dark and creepy and tense. Brilliant x