Cover Image: The Wife's House

The Wife's House

I usually love a good psychological thriller. This one had plenty of good elements but it just didn’t hit the mark for me. I didn’t like or relate to any of the characters, and many of the events sort of strained belief. Especially the protagonist... I kept shaking my head asking, what is she thinking? Who would do that? Many thriller lovers may enjoy this one, though! Thanks to Net Galley and the publisher for the complimentary digital review copy of this title.
3.5 STARS

If you are in the mood for a roller-coaster of a thriller, then 'The Wife's House' is just your cup of tea! The main protagonist is a wealthy but lonely widow who is living in a beautiful home on the California coastline and grieving the sudden loss of her beloved husband. She begins to receive odd messages and feels as though someone is watching her. She also might have a problem with alcohol addiction which makes her narration all the more unreliable. She has very few connections to the California town where she lives, and so when young triplets befriend her, she welcomes them into her life.

They seem caring and lively and smart at first. The widow becomes charmed by them, and she eventually offers her home to them as they have recently fallen under very difficult circumstances.
While not a choice I would have made, I certainly sympathized with her motivations. She was lonely and looking for company and solace after the loss of her husband.

I enjoyed the California setting of this thriller and the way the plot unfolded to finally get to the truth of all of the mysterious cards and notes. This is one imaginative story, which I certainly did not see coming. I love the author's writing and was very excited to read her first venture into the thriller genre.

'The Wife's House' was a very fast-paced and suspenseful thriller with an incredibly creative ending. All the loose ends came together, and finally the main character fought back and took control of her life. Of course her husband Juan's death was not what it seemed, but then again the widow was not at all what I expected either! This was a fun, suspenseful and fast read. I look forward to seeing what Arianne Richmonde comes up with next.
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy to review on netgalley.  And apologies in my delay,ive been having a slow reading time.

This was a fantastic read with plenty of twists and turns. You will find yourself wanting to jump in and give her a good shout and shake to wake up
Layered to build suspense and forebending sense of tension.

Unpredictable and thrilling.

I highly recommend and cant wait to read more from this author.

Published 24th August
My mother always told me not to sleep in glass houses...However, when the narrator's husband dies and leaves her a large glass house on a cliff, she moves in. Her own thoughts start to envelope her and she's thankful when three neighbors befriend her. Like all good thrillers, the three have their own secrets.

Due to the husband's criminal activities, you already feel there is something sinister going on and find yourself turning the pages to find out what is going to happen. The one person POV is refreshing as many of today's books are told from multiple POV. There also aren't many characters to sort out.

The writing is fluid and pulls the reader deeper and deeper into the narrator's world. Well done!

Thank you for allowing me to read this and give my honest opinion.
This is a psychological thriller set in Big Sur in a house of glass. The story is told from the widow of a man who died in a car crash a result of shady dealings with criminals.  Before he died he bought the house for his wife. As his widow becomes more and more agoraphobic in the house she is befriended by 3 neighbors who have their own agenda with her. She is told as someone who is not very bright and unable to think for herself. As a result she allows her life to be influenced by these neighbors.

I was unable to connect with the main charcter but the setting of this book is spooky and well done. It is a interesting thriller that will keep you turning pages to see how it turns out. A good book for a day of escape in the same vein of Ruth Ware .

Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley. My review opinion is my own.
This thriller had me super excited when I first started reading it. A depressed widow all alone in a huge house on the side of a cliff in California, suspicious that someone is looking in and possibly stalking her. Then the triplets who used to live in the house come along and end up talking her into letting them move in with her. Safety in numbers right, but does she really know these 3 young kids? The twists keep coming and the reader is left to speculate if she ever going to feel safe in her own home again?

I'm sorry to say that it just seemed a little too unbelievable to me. Is someone really that gullible to just let strangers move in with them? I sure hope not. As much as I wanted to root for the main character, I just couldn't get past her naivety. I did enjoy the ending of the book at least so was glad that I finished it, but ended up feeling like it was just a 2 star read for me.
A beautiful home on the side of a hill. What could possibly go wrong? Apparently, a lot. The wife is a widow. Her husband Juan was killed in a fiery car crash, and all she has left is Cliffside, a huge mansion on the side of the hill in Big Sur. She wanders the property, the beach, the house—all alone, trying o pick up the pieces of her shattered life. But then, things start to happen: a drone flies over, flowers on her doorstep. What is really going on here? Enter a set of triplets who befriend her, and all of a sudden things are looking up. Or are they? This is a psychological thriller at its best. It had me on the edge of my seat—wanting to read it, but not wanting to turn the next page to see what would happen next. Honestly, I would read a couple of pages, put the book down because the suspense was too much and then pick it up again because I couldn’t stand it. I did not figure out the ending ahead of time, which was a definite plus for me. Nothing was as it seemed. Stick with it. It is an awesome read! Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the opportunity to review this book.
I love a good twisty thriller and had high hopes for this one, sadly it fell short for me. I found myself not that interested or invested in the plot or characters, and found the overall story a bit predictable and not that much different (or better) to other psychological thrillers that I've read. Not a bad thriller, but not the most exciting I've read either.
Five stars because it was such a compulsive read. Right from the first moment you are pulled into this story. A widowed wife, a fabulous house overlooking the sea. Mysterious messages. Who is watching and why? And what is buried in the wood?  Parts of the plot I guessed, parts I didn't.  I read it in two sittings simply  because I wanted to know the answers, to see if my assumptions were right or not.  I think it almost has the feel of a horror movie without the gore.  And friends quickly became foes.  I simply couldn't see a way out for the heroine but hoped there was one.
Recommended.  My thanks to Netgalley for an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Juan buys his beautiful wife the house of her dreams. It's set on a cliff with a beautiful view of the beach. Juan dies not long after in a car accident and she turns to alcohol to help her through. Someone sends her strange notes and she runs into three people on the beach which are triplets Dan, Kate and Jen who said they lived in the house previously. They are very helpful and she lets the triplets stay in her home. Everything is not as it seems though. A twisty story but a bit unrealistic in areas.
Thanks Netgalley for the advance ecopy.
I won’t lie I struggled with this one a little bit - I really wanted to like it but it just didn’t get there for me. Don’t get me wrong I think it was well written and had me easily turning the pages but I just didn’t connect with the main character (maybe because she is never named?) and I found a lot of what happened to be a little unrealistic which curbed my attention. Thank you to Netgalley and Bookouture for this digital copy to read and review.
The Wife’s House is a thriller that is told exclusively from the narrator’s POV. She’s the widow of a dead man. So far all standard for a thriller. But from the beginning, the book has some truly eyebrow-raising moments, mainly moments that are cringe-worthy. For example, the characters in the book aren’t simply pretty. They’re perfect teeth; Aegean green-eyed; chiseled jaw beautiful. The narrator compares them to characters you find in a soap opera, which is good because they don’t have much depth past being pretty.

The part that is extremely cringe-worthy is that the only person of color in the book, Juan, is dead because he got caught up in some shady deal with a client. Juan is biracial, half white and half Mexican; he’s tied to shady money and drugs somehow. Is this really how POC need to be portrayed in a mainly white book, one where everyone has creamy skin and any irregularities have been surgically removed or hidden?

Cliffside, the house, is the white whale, the house that everyone wants but no one can have. Juan moved the narrator into the house with a vague story about making the owner an offer they couldn’t refuse. The house is beautiful, all steel and glass that’s supposed to glow when the sun hits it just right. That author goes almost overboard to ensure that it’s praised as stunningly beautiful. I guess no one cares that they’re on display in a glass house on the side of a mountain? Is it me or does this feel like you’re a bug in a jar waiting to be picked off?
Also, the architect who designed the house was a recluse. Is anyone getting Where’d You Go, Bernadette vibes? And is that’s what the author was going for, is this the psychotic version?

The narrator is grieving, which translates into her drinking too much, lots of champagne and wine. It’s not too terrible aside from a few times where she drives. She’s mourning her dead husband and that makes it easy for the triplets to fit themselves into her life. They’re all pretty and flatter her by paying attention but by the time she starts questioning why they want to be her friend, she’s already let them move into her house, use her car, run errands for her, make her meals, and violate every kind of boundary she sets.

The Wife’s House is a typical thriller. Fans of Lisa Jewell and Ruth Ware will appreciate the unreliable narrator and the last 50 pages that are full of killings and torture. It’s a little far-fetched but readers will enjoy it.
Thank you for NetGalley for the chance to read this book in exchange for an honest review. This book was a book of 2 part the first 70% I really wasn't into, the story was weak and so far fetched who really lets 3 young strangers (children really) move into their million pound house? I was at one pointing considering giving up but I am glad I did the last 30% was so much better, fast paced and full of twists and turns and I didn't guess the ending at all. However I didn’t like any of the characters and overall the story was just to ridiculous so it is a weak 2.5 stars from me.
#The Wife's House #NetGalley

The wife's house was beautiful but the husband was a real piece of work!  How could you do that to your wife?  If he were my husband, I would not accept it.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.  The characters were realistic and believable.
I loved the setting of Big Sur and the town of Carmel.  The descriptions of the house and the views transported me there and were enjoyable to read.   However, the main character, supposed to be well educated but just seems too trustworthy and naive.  I personally didn't like this book and it seemed to be too predictable.
Shades of Hitchcock. Or more Du Maurier. It is taut and unbending in its spiral of emotion and intrigue. A widow coming to grips with lost is given a new twist through characters of shady background, with agendas of their own. It is gripping and holds you captive till the end. I love it ,every word.
A lonely widow, struggling with her grief, receives odd messages and gifts plus she worries that someone is using a drone to spy on her. Vulnerable, she seizes on a friendship with triplets in their late teens as surrogate children but soon suspects they have an ulterior motive for their kindness...
The Wife's House begins as a psychological thriller. The mysterious messages, gifts and the drone spying on her begins to develop the tension and raise questions about what the widow is hiding and who would want to harm her.
She has intense vulnerability. Never given a name, which is very peculiar, the widow has been bullied and has low self esteem so she earns our sympathy. Childless and lonely, her motivations are easy to understand but her actions stretched credibility in my opinion.
I seriously had to suspend my disbelief at reading this book. The plot developments were so extreme and unlikely that it frustrated me at first but then I focussed on the positives. The writing is very good and the descriptions of the widow's experience over the course of the book were vivid and easy to imagine.
The suspense and tension builds up well and there are plenty of hints about the various mysteries in the plot. Juan's death becomes suspicious and we wonder what has been buried behind the house. Perhaps the widow is not quite what she appears...
Plus the full truth of the triplets motives needs to be explored and revealed. The triplets are almost like the baddies from melodrama once they show that they are too good to be true, but they are not quite as united as they seem which gave them a humanity and potential for redemption.
Overall,The Wife's House was an entertaining read. The ending was brilliant as the strands finally come together. It transformed into more of an action thriller as the widow fights to save herself from people, nature and unknown enemies.
This is a tricky one to review....it had all the elements to make it a great book but for me it just didn't hit the mark. I found it a little irritating that the main character is never named, but that is a rather small niggle. My main issue is that it is very unbelievable. This is probably more about me than anything else - I am aware that it is a fiction but for me I like to be able to relate to a thriller and be able to picture myself there, for me this was just too out there. I would say as thrillers go it was good, just not for me.
I love the concept of this book: a widow with a secret who remains in the cliffside dream-house she lived in with her husband. The book itself was well-written, and the author did a good job of crafting unlikable characters. But the believability of this novel drove me nuts. I can appreciate an unlikable or unreliable narrator, but I had to suspend a lot of belief to imagine anyone being as gullible as the main character in this novel. But if you are a lover of action-packed plotlines with lots of twists - this will be a really fun read for you!
The Wife's House by Arianne Richmonde is a pyschological thriller that you will not forget easily once finished. A story that has you glued to the pages from the off. Straight away I loved the house on the cover of this book and the author certainly carried this feeling on throughout the book. Her descriptions created more of a feeling of being there. It seemed like a paradise in my imagination.
This house is occupied by a widow. Her husband purchased it for them both, their dream home. Her husband,Juan, died in a traffic accident and she is left to mourn and live in this fabulous sleek house on a clifftop alone, and she vows never to leave their house. Mrs Trujillo (we are never told her first name) goes for a walk and she meets a set of triplets Jen, Dan and Kate and she finds herself relying on them more frequently. The story then slips into her past and we discover all about the widow.
This is a story that deals with grief, manipulation, lonliness among others.We see how lonliness attributes to manipulation and boy, does the author do it well! There were characters in this book I didn't trust from the beginning and I though the widow was so naive at times, I wanted to shake her. This story was atmosheric from the start and then started ramping it up to creepy levels.The twists and turns added to the tension and I was unable to put the book down at one point, food was rather late that day. A thrilling and creepy read for me anyway, another new author discovered!
Thank you to Bookouture Books-On-Tour and Netgalley for the book so I could enjoy getting creeped out for my review today!