Cover Image: Kiss Myself Goodbye

Kiss Myself Goodbye

Totally engrossing and fascinating – a family memoir like no other, that surprises and enchants, and with so many twists and turns that it’s quite dazzling. A family tree would have been useful, in fact. It’s well-written, meticulously researched, with a cast of wonderful and intriguing characters, funny and tragic and endlessly unpredictable. A great read.
Memoir With Wit And Sincerity....
A family memoir told with wit and sincerity. As the author begins to uncover the many, many layers of his enigmatic aunt he uncovers even further food for thought alongside a social commentary of the time, It’s an Intriguing tale, indeed a compelling one and compelling enough to keep the reader entranced from the first page to the last.
Ferdinand Mount’s beloved Aunt Munca was always surrounded by mystery, and half a century after his childhood the author tries to uncover the half-truths and outright lies she told about her life.
This is a superbly written and very entertaining memoir, with plenty of gossipy detail about the Mount family history and their tenuous connections to various great figures and events of the last century. Munca, with her self-appointed nickname and past just out of reach, is a truly fascinating character and it is easy to get swept up in the author’s enthusiasm for his aunt’s life.
My only criticism of this title would be that some sections are a little confusing - the author gets so caught up in events that he forgets to explain who everyone is. The addition of a family tree would help matters enormously.
Readers may wonder why they should pick up the family history of a semi-well known journalist and author. To pass this title by would be a mistake though, as anyone interested in British social history, genealogy or simply the intimate moments of others’ lives should enjoy this delightfully compelling memoir of an extraordinary woman and her family. This would be an excellent addition to biography collections.
Kiss Myself Goodbye is a very enjoyable romp through Mr Mount's family history, in particular, that of his Aunt Munca. As a boy and young man he is fascinated by the anomalies of his aunt's background and her secrets make for amusing reading. His perseverance as an amateur detective pays off in spades as he unravels her life, her marriages and children and realises that everything she said about her life was a lie. A highly entertaining read. Many thanks to NetGalley and Bloomsbury for the opportunity to read and review Kiss Myself Goodbye.
What a whirlwind read. Could not put it down. Thoroughly researched and spanning a huge range of topics and themes. Fascinating characters and plot. The only drawback for me was that some of the digressions (such as about Motorsport and cricket) could have been condensed a little, although integral to the story they could been more concise to remain strictly relevant to the plot as they got a bit dull. In addition, a family tree would have been helpful, though I can see how that would give away some spoilers later on, though it could have been a work in progress, starting with only a few family members with more being added on in later pages. It was just a little confusing to keep up at points!
Ferdinand Mount is a British gem who writes like a dream. I would probably enjoy reading a shopping list written by him.

This is an amazing shaggy dog story in which he attempts to discover the truth about the life of his aunt who aunt who weaved a web of obfuscation and confusion.

What shines through is the author’s pride and love of family and he uncovers an incredible story beautifully told.

Sheer pleasure from start to finish.
A compelling and well researched story of a life that seems barely possible now in this world of computerised documentation. It's all here - lies, deception, ducking, diving, false identities and a rip-roaring tale to boot. It's a proper rags to riches story that is revealed, layer by layer, by the author.
To quote Sir Walter Scott "Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!" This book is a delicious account of how a family has risen in society, whilst all the time not ever being true to its roots due to the tangled web of lies and deceit.
I loved it, and (due to my own ignorance) had no idea of who the author was until after I had read it, and the book wasn't spoiled for the fact.
It's written beautifully and with feeling for those involved, where there could have been a well-deserved disgust at how people have acted, there's a presence of it all happening 'in its time' and that despising the behaviour wouldn't be healthy or fair, as many of the conclusions are based on very well-researched hunches, if not actual fact. The amount of research is staggering and adds hugely to the narrative, and the results show just what can be achieved in researching your heritage - at your peril!
There's a touch of Mapp (Mapp and Lucia) in Betty, and I loved her all the more for this. Yes, she must have been a force to be reckoned with, a snob - given her roots, but all the same such a character!
There's such a feeling of love from the author to his family - regardless if they are biological or otherwise, this marks the author out as someone who has taken a huge amount of thought as to how and why this book needs to be written.
I was lucky enough to have the chance to review this book, prior to publication, and it's one I would certainly add to my collection, I thoroughly enjoyed it.
It's thought-provoking, heart-wrenching and a real eye-opener. All is not always as it seems, let us not judge anyone based upon Title and material wealth.
One small addition I would like to add is that a Family Tree is added on the final publication, as I found myself having to keep rereading previous pages to remind myself who was who!
I longed to like this book. Ferdinand Mount  writes so well: I thoroughly enjoyed Cold Cream but this is a muddle. The first chapter is all about visiting childhood houses which is not particularly interesting. Then as the narrative continues we meet the aunt but are never emotionally engaged with her. The story meanders here and there but never grips. I Eventually gave up.
Thank you for the advance copy- I am genuinely sorry not to give this a better review.