Cover Image: Last Night

Last Night

I’ve read a few of this author’s previous rom coms and enjoyed them, which is why I requested this title.  However, it’s just too sad and I can’t read it!  Not for me & I DNFd it at 30%.  I’m sure there would be a happy resolution if I were to continue it but losing a close friend in your 30s when I turn 34 next week just upsets me too much.  Apologies to the author and publisher for not reviewing sooner.
One thing you can be assured of when you pick up a book by Mhairi MacFarlane is that you are going to be in for a rollercoaster of a ride - but one that you will love and this story is no different.
I didn’t read anything about the book before I started reading it
This wonderful book explores friendships, love, loss, and illness.  Extremely thought provoking bringing out a whole variety of emotions.
Loveable characters
This book was such a fun and brilliant read. I was completely hooked and fell in love with the characters right away.
I really enjoyed this book and can’t believe it sat in my ‘to read’ list for so long. A lovely read that I finished in 2 days. Thank you to NetGalley, the author and publisher for the ARC copy
I’m a huge fan of Mhairi McFarlane’s books and I think this one is her best so far. The bereavement storyline is so beautifully written. I lost a close friend a few years ago and some parts made me nod in recognition while also trying not to sob in public. The characters seem so real and the romance is just lovely too. And it’s funny! I think this is one I’ll reread.
This was an incredibly sad yet moving tale that shows how quickly our lives can change following the loss of a loved one. I found myself tearing up at several moments as the grief and raw pain experienced by the characters is incredibly moving. There are some lighter moments to balance it out but ultimately this is a book that provides an intrinsic look at the shockwaves caused by death so not one to read when the world is feeling particularly heavy
Love Mhairi McFarlane books. Eve has loved Ed for what seems like forever but never seems to be the right time. Then a dreadful tragedy happens and Eve thinks about what her life is like.
Every Mhairi McFarlane book I read has me completely and utterly hooked. She unreal.

Each book draws you in and makes you love the characters, (well most of them any).

Keep doing what you do Mhairi. Xx
This book was so much fun to read, and I love the way in which it is written.

Thank you NetGalley for my complimentary copy in return for my honest review.
Nice little book to read over coffee on a Sunday morning! Really enjoyed it, not my usual bag but I really liked it and would defo read more from the author 😃
TW: Grief, Death of a Friend, Mentions of Childhood Abuse, Parent with Alzheimers

Last Night wasn't what I expected, but once I got through the shock I absolutely loved it. When I first requested this from NetGalley I knew I enjoyed McFarlane's writing and I was like "oh sweet, a second chance romance I'm 100% down for this". I hadn't mentally prepared as to how much of the book centered on the MC's journey through the grief of losing her best friend. It's quite a visceral look at grief and how it can be all encompassing, however it also shows the glimmer of hope in the period after, that they're not going to all be bad days.

Eve is our main character who has always had a deep secret love for Ed. Ed is a member of their group of 4 along with Susie and Justin, lifelong friends who have never been torn apart - until now. We are left with them navigating their friendship after losing one of the loves of their lives and how they may interact with each other moving forward.

We are also shown the familial impact of grief, through the lens of Finlay (the best friends brother who has been distant from the family for years) and Iain (the father who has Alzheimers and thinks things are still from well over a decade ago). Eve, as the best friend, is left to help the family move forward when Iain can't remember Finlay and nobody even wants Finlay around.

I was shocked several times throughout this novel from revelations that were made, I was saddened by the gut-wrenching depictions of loss and love, and I was left feeling warm and fuzzy from the romance that grew in the backdrop of tragedy.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for providing an eARC in exchange for an honest review, however I ended up purchasing the published copy on release date and read purely from that one along with an audiobook on loan from my library.
Another absolute corker from Mhairi McFarlane.

She has the ability to make me laugh and cry in just one page and Last Night did that in abundance. Moving, funny, and oh so wonderful.

Thanks to net galley and the publishers for the opportunity to read and review.
Mhairi McFarlane writes beautifully, intelligently, and with great emotional intelligence. It is laugh-out-loud funny in parts, but also very sensitively written on the subject of grief at death, and the complexities of relationship. She has an exceptional talent.
Mhairi McFarlane takes a different approach with her fifth book.  In Last Night, we see a lot more emotion and vulnerability compared to her previous novels.  Even when tackling the tough subject of grief, Mhairi's trademark razor sharp wit still shines through her writing, making this an enjoyable, thoughtful read.  Long time fans of Mhairi will enjoy.
A lovely super cute book, an easy read.   The characters were relatable, and the story was good. I would recommend.
Big fan of Mhairi McFarlane. I feel like her books kept me sane during the lockdowns. Fun and super easy to read. Would recommend
Really loved this book.  It made me laugh and cry.  I was invested in the characters.  I would actually love a sequel.  Would highly recommend this book.
Snortingly funny and sad, how does Mhairi McFarlane do it? "Last Night" is another absolute belter of a book with BIG feelings. Huge! I adored it.
I read this in basically 1 sitting, completely engrossed in Eve’s story - her friendships, grief, humour and potential romance.

Like McFarlane’s other books this is very much of its time and place, yet also universal in its themes.  Despite dealing with quite heavy themes (as the plot is driven by the sudden death of a young woman) there’s also lots of humour - a really enjoyable read.