Cover Image: I Lie in Wait

I Lie in Wait

I lie in wait by Amanda Brittany
4/5 stars

-Netgalley Arc-

1 year ago, Amelia’s sister Lark vanished into thin air from a family holiday cottage , convinced she was abducted but with no leads the case has gone cold.
Now In present time, Amelia and her father have gone back to the cottage to try retrace their steps in hopes to find a vital clue in finding Lark.
However on the second night another girl has gone missing and someone is determined to make sure their secrets stay hidden.

Another great read by this author! Kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, and can honestly say I did not see that end coming! 🤯
This was a great read, enjoyed it thoroughly, was hooked from the first page, loads of twists and turns, would recommend it x
Another book with a split timeline which I admit I do like. Very intense at times, lots of twists and turn with a very unexpected ending! Love a boo that keeps me guessing.
I loved this.

So fast paced and dark with so many amazing and interesting twists!!!

I thought the character was completely relatable and still likable despite her personal tragedies.
I had a theory on how it was going to end earlier on but quickly changed my mind because of clues only to find out I was right.

I also love that there were multiple reveals here
This book has two timelines,  both quite close to each other so found myself flipping back and forth to remember where I was in the story
I did enjoy this book though
Firstly a big thank you to the publishers for my copy on netgalley. This is a new author for me but will definitely be reading more .
I whizzed through this and thought it was a really great addictive thriller .

Written in alternate narratives and timelines this really entices the reader in and keeps you on your toes .

Unpredictable and with twists and turns.

A fantastic page turner that has a omg moment.

Published 28th August
I lie in wait is a suspense thriller set in the Scottish Highlands and people stuck in the estate because of the terrible weather and snow.
The narration is in now and then format. Amelia narrates their trip to the vacation home and their time in the vacation home one year back.

Caroline, Amelia’s mother, had cancer and wanted to take a trip with her family for one last time. She was separated from Robert, Amelia’s father, and came with her partner Jackson. But the day Lark goes missing, they never saw Jackson, again. Between losing her mother and sister disappearing, Amelia’s relationship with her partner William becomes strained and they part ways.

The books start with Amelia’s narration but are interspersed with Ruth’s, the owner of the estate, narration. The reader can see the major characters through her eyes, which gives readers a wider perspective.
Brittany’s writing is interesting, and she used uncanny elements to describe the vacation home. Trapped in a snowstorm with a probable kidnapper/killer on the loose couple with no electricity and a masked will bring in the absolute thrill.

The book ends in a two-fold twist that the reader will not see coming.
The book is intriguing and addictive from the start.

My rating is 4 stars.

Thank you NetGalley and HQ for the free copy of the book for my honest review.
Thank you to Netgalley and HQ for the arc of this book by Amanda Brittany.

5 star read for me- had me on the edge of my seat, a quick read for me as it was very page turning and i was engrossed and wanting more.  This follows a year long disapperance of Amelia's sister named Lark, she disappeared without any traces left at all....  on their scottish holiday.  The case turned into a cold case as the police were determined in that she was abducted but no leads to go off...

I loved this book ! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
I love a psychological thriller and this one didn’t let me down and kept me gripped until the end! The writing creates a great atmosphere within a beautiful setting.
Thank you to Netgalley and HQ Digital Publishing for this e-arc copy. Overall, a fast-paced thriller that kept me turning the pages and wanting to know right up until the reveal. The reveal, however, decreased my overall positive feelings about this book. This was my first book by Amanda Brittany and would definitely consider checking out more of her works!

What I liked: the setting - a perfect thriller setting! The characters - give me damaged characters and I will become attached. They felt real from the first page. The pacing - fast, never dragging from page one. The second twist of the novel - presented well and something I hadn't considered.

What I disliked: there are two separate twists and only one paid off in the way I wanted. The first felt like it came out of left field and I didn't like the way it was presented in the novel (I actually had to go back a couple paragraphs to see if I had missed something). I am also not a fan of two cases that seem connected but in the end ultimately were not (this however is personal preference).

I struggled what to give this novel as a star rating and up until the "big reveal," I thought it was five stars. However, as any thriller reader knows, it is all about the big reveal.
I would like to thank the author, the publisher and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book. I found it quite hard going and the timeline was confusing to begin with, I am glad I persevered as it had some good twists that I wasn't expecting.
I actually DNF'd this book which is something that I do very rarely. I just found all the characters cold and unlikeable and the writing style quite stilted.
I received this book as a free ARC from Netgalley, and it really didn't disappoint. This novel was such a quick read and i couldn't seem to put it down. Some of the Characters were written so well, and so human. I did not see the end coming at all, and i am rarely surprised with thrillers anymore. Fair warning the first chapter could be a huge trigger warning for some people. All in all i rate this one 4 stars, some of the writing could have been better, and i dont think the description of the book, was accurate. The main character was very annoying at times, and was very unlikeable.
Missing girls and murder on a creepy Scotland estate

Amelia returns to Scotland, somewhat against her better judgement, in a misguided effort to try and better understand why her sister Lark and her dying Mum’s boyfriend Jackson went missing a year ago.

Before too long history is kind of repeating itself as another young girl Elise goes missing.

A twisting tale of mystery, premature death, masks and Amelia over and over again “grasping her chest” keeps the reader’s interest.

An excellent twist at the end too which I certainly didn’t see coming.

Thanks to NetGalley for a free copy of this  book in exchange for a fair review.
This was a great, well written read. The way it was written provided so many things I need in a thriller; thrills, chills, twists & turns, and shocks!  I thought the author wrote this book in a way that definitely captures your attention and keeps it until the very end!  I would highly recommend, especially for those looking for a quick, well written book, that will definitely give you some great thrills chills and shocks!

Will buzz around platforms, and use lower Amazon reviews number on release date!
I Lie In Wait by Amanda Brittany came out in August and its a great read! Featuring past and present storylines along with the “locked room” trope that I always enjoy, this is set in the Scottish Highlands which I liked.

Grab it now and read it this afternoon.

Take a look:

One year ago, Amelia Taylor’s sister, Lark, disappeared from a family holiday in the Scottish Highlands.

The police are convinced that Lark was abducted, but with no new leads, the case has gone cold. Amelia is certain the answer lies at the holiday cottage and she returns to the place where her sister went missing.

But during her second night at the cottage a shrill scream cuts through the darkness, just as it did a year ago, and a sense of dread engulfs everyone.

Another girl has vanished.

Leading the search, Amelia is convinced that both girls are alive, waiting to be found. But someone is determined to keep her from the truth at all costs…

Will Amelia be able to find her sister, or is she too about to find herself in danger?

A must-read for those who gravitate towards mysteries and suspense novels!

Available now, get it here for free!
5  from me

Wow! The words 'I couldn't put this book down' are so cliched and yet SO true! Obviously, I had to put it down at times (small matter of needing to go to work for example) but I thought about it when I wasn't reading it. My tiny mind tried to work out who could and could not be trusted, it tried to grasp onto a concept of who the killer was, it tried to second guess the truly awe-worthy mind of Amanda Brittany - and it failed woefully!

It's quite a simple story but it absolutely captivated me from beginning to end - some of the characters (Ruth springs to mind) were so devilishly created that I almost wanted to laugh out loud at their audacity.

The hideous, uncomfortable, family tensions were palpable and perfectly captured. The teenage angst, arrogance and moodiness emanated from the pages and the trials and tribulations of long term relationships vs new relationships was spot on.

As was the fear. The stone cold - oh god what's going to happen next, don't go out there, don't go up the stairs alone! etc scenarios were horribly good.

Among all of this cleverness, trauma, deception and cleverness, also sat a poignant layer of grief.

This book has the rare balance of being good from beginning to end!

Just perfect.
thanks to netgalley and the publishers for allowing me to review this book.
enjoyable intrigue and well worth a read.
A year ago Amelia's sister Lark disappeared while they was in the Scottish Highlands . They was there for a last holiday for their mum who had cancer.
Amelia's father decides to go back to the Highlands as he thinks Lark is still alive and was abducted.
Ame!ia her father her brother and his carer all go to scotland
Whilst there Amelia's mother's friend turns up too
Another girl then goes missing
Then people start turning up dead.
Thanks NetGalley
When Amelia Taylor’s seventeen-year-old sister, Lark, vanishes into thin air from their holiday cottage in the Scottish Highlands, her dad, Thomas, wants to return to Drummondale House to see if they can find out what happened to her. The story is told chiefly by Amelia and tos and fros from the present to a year ago.

I totally adored the descriptive style of Amanda Brittany, which I found to be emotive, haunting and affecting. The use of concise chapters meant I was never bored and the narrative was well structured. I Lie in Wait was a story that was packed with mystery and twists as it spiralled its way to the surprise denouement. It is a must-read for fans of the psychological thriller genre. I look forward to reading many more books from this author. I read I Lie in Wait with relish and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

Overall, an enjoyable and easy to read domestic thriller.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request, from HQ via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.