Cover Image: The Man I Married

The Man I Married

Thanks to Netgalley for the preview of this book. It was ok. It started off well but it then became ridiculous with numerous sub plots that added nothing to the story.  The characters were immense annoying
did not like this book, could not gel with Lucy or Paul would not recommend it to anyone.  Thanks for the opportunity to read
Dark and twisty just like I like it. Would definitely recommend it to other thriller lovers. This kept me so engaged and transported me from reality.
I thoroughly enjoyed this dark and twisted psychological thriller. The author quickly drew me in with her portrayal of such relatable characters and her vivid descriptive narrative. Once I’d read the first few pages I was hooked and I flew through the book, completely gripped by the disturbing mind games and chilling twists and turns. This is an absolute must-read for anyone who enjoys psychological thrillers.
# The Man I Married # Netgalley

Wow were do I start it’s just a phenomenal book. Wow, still trying to pick my jaw up off the floor it’s been a very tense last couple of chapters we’re I have been sat right on the edge of my seat, with my heart rate pounding. For Lucy. Talk of a love story from heaven that’s exactly what Lucy thought she had when she met Paul. Only they didn’t really know each other. Paul wanted to get married ASAP and Lucy went with it only because on paper everything he said there really was no argument against it. But then Paul’s like that comes across, as such i idealistic person only he likes to manipulate things on his terms. Being a psychiatrist who’s not going to believe him. Giving reports for prisoners who are facing possible release. His just part of his job. Lucy being a prison probation officer. As she starts to read the terms of his probation after he takes children and uses and sells them. Lucy is under no one’s opinion that he will stop, unlike she thinks is psychiatrists. Lucy knows when he’s says the psychiatrist says I am now cured. Do you think that Lucy. She answer they are the experts not me. Yet she knows full well
He will go straight out and commit the same crimes again. When she meets Paul the psychiatrist who she thinks had given the prisoner his full support for his release and then finding out he didn’t. It was suddenly from that first meeting that Lucy’s life was changed. She didn’t  think she would see him again how wrong was she. This just as to be a must must read honestly the twist and turns are just out of the world at one point I even wondered which direction it would go next because believe you me you can not predict the ending not at ok, it’s just shock after shock at each twist wow bloody awesome. A magnificent example of a real phycological thriller. This is the first book I have read by this author but it’s definitely not going to be its last
I don't know what I expected from this book but holy page turner. I was creepy and so good. I enjoyed every page of this book. Talk about a psychological thriller. Ill definitely be reading more from this author.

Thank you Netgalley, the author and publisher for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Thank you Netgalley for a copy in exchanged for a fair review.
THE MAN I MARRIED was so psychologically creepy. It reminded me of Behind Closed Doors by B. A. Paris. Enjoyed the book.
Thank you to Netgalley and Hera Books for the arc of this book by Elena Wilkes.

4 stars- this had me gripped from start to finish this follows Lucy and Paul and about something in which Lucy discovers about Pauls secrets and past not gonna spoil but a must-read pageturning gripping book! well done to Elena Wilkes for writing an amazing book!! recommend highly.
A quick thrill ride of a read!  A bit chilling. a bit thrilling, some good twists and turns and shocks, but nothing too original or mind blowing!  Overall, if you are looking for a quick, decent read, which will give you a few thrills, chills, and shocks, then this is your book.  If you’re looking for a completely original, mind blowing book, this may not be the one that gets you.  I think it is definitely worth reading though!
So this book had lots of good, but also a bit of bad! Firstly it was written so well - I loved the style of writing!
I loved the suspense and the anxiety that went along side the gaslighting and mental abuse!
I really did not love Lucy - who was a complete muppet!
I really didn’t like her ridiculous pouty friend Emma!
I am not onboard with the ending! It was trying to be enlightening and spiritual but it was just rubbish!
Some of it was far fetched!
What was the point of Simon?
Why doesn’t Paul get caught out - that dude is never at work!!
Worth a read for the sheer evilness of perfect Paul.
I really enjoyed this book.

It kept me on the edge of my seat.

So many twists and turns.

Brilliant read, edge of your seat thriller!! Loved it. Would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting a well thought out story.

I am really looking forward to reading more from Elena Wilkes in the future!
A twisty thriller! Lucy and Paul fall madly in love with each other from the very first moment. They met one night in a bar, hit it off, and got married rather quickly. Just when Lucy thought everything was perfect she finds a photo  from Paul's past. On top of that she reads text messages that Paul had been hiding. Lucy starts to realize she doesn't know her husband like she thought she did. She noticed something was off with Paul. His entire mood changed. He became angry and controlling.
This book took some pushing for me to get into it.  The premise was interesting - how much do we really know the people we form relationships with?   There was some interesting intrigue and I do think there were some moments of what a domestically violent relationship looks like.  Lucy is a probation officer over seeing released criminals including a sex offender who gets under skin and targets her personally after his release.  She meets a psychologist named Paul and despite her resistance to forming relationships they form one ridiculously fast.  I think what kept me from from really getting into this story is that Paul was clearly.a bad guy from the start and despite Lucy recognizing many of those flags she still falls deeper into him.
This book was good and I enjoyed it, but I felt there were too many stories and sub-plots within that were just dropped with no explanation.  The last chapter got me even more baffled.
The Man I Married by Elena Wilkes again uses a familiar theme, the evil husband who initially is too good to be true. A one night stand leads to disaster a heady relationship that begins to fray at the edges. This just read as a been there, done that kind of story. Not terribly original, but not horrible. Thanks to Netgalley for an advance copy.
The Man I Married is an outstanding cautionary tale for anyone who is even contemplating beginning a relationship - let alone marriage! I loved every minute I spent with Lucy and Paul - getting to know them as individuals and as a couple.  But to my amazement - I knew NOTHING about them after all!  This book is wonderfully crafted so that you are continuously asking yourself "would that bother me" or "WTF did he just do" as you are eagerly turning the pages.  This author is extraordinary gifted at illuminating the cold hard truth about people - you truly only know a fraction of what the person you are with wants you to know! A MUST READ for anyone who loves guessing, enjoys intricately designed plot twists, and fantasizes about smacking both main characters for being so naive.  An excellently written and exquisitely thought-provoking debut novel!  I can't wait to read Elena's next one!  I highly recommend this book to all!  😁👍🏼
Going into this I had I had no idea this was a debut! I thoroughly enjoyed this. I would have loved to see Paul’s perspective as well while he was interacting with his wife. I enjoy an ending that leaves the reader to decide what they think happened at the end of the story.
Twisty thriller asking how well do you really know your spouse or your partner?
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it the characters.  I would call it a psychological thriller that literally leaves you guessing until the last page. It was a great read and I would recommend it for people who enjoy suspense.
I did not finish this book. It was too slow moving, didn’t keep my attention & was a little unbelievable. I would be interested to read another book by this author though to give them another chance.
Lucy and Paul meet and it seems they're married in no time. Lucy thought she had everything she had ever wanted... but she's wrong.

Paul doesn't seem to be the same man she married a short time ago. He's lied about so much of his past.  And he usually says one thing and then later on, deny that's what he said.  Or he will accuse Lucy of saying or doing something that she knows she didn't.    He's hiding text messages from .. someone.  And that someone seems to be following Lucy.

So we ever truly know what's real and what's fiction?  How well do you ever know the person you've married?  Is he the sane one and you aren't?

This is a dark psychological thriller filled with twists and turns that bounce around like a gas-filled balloon.  It is suspenseful from the beginning, but it does lag here and there.  The characters weren't as defined as they could have been.  I absolutely did not like the ending.. it felt a bit rushed and it left me with more questions than answers.

Many thanks to the author / Hera Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of THE MAN I MARRIED.  Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.