Cover Image: Christopher Hobbs's Medicinal Mushrooms: The Essential Guide

Christopher Hobbs's Medicinal Mushrooms: The Essential Guide

This book actually is essential - it's easy to follow and teaches the reader much about the power of medicinal mushroom. You learn which ones to get, how to find them, how to store them, and how best to ingest them and for what ailments. Everyone should have this book.
This book is full of hints tips and tricks for using mushrooms. Whilst the wrong ones can be dangerous when the right ones are used in the right way they can work wonders.
This book makes menfeel confident about choosing the right ones each time  .

Christopher Hobbs medicinal mushrooms is an amazing book jam packed with information about mushrooms.
This book explains what medicinal mushrooms are, how and why they are good for you, where to find them, how to eat them, how to grow and forage them, what they look like and way more information!
I never knew much about mushrooms and this book has taught me so much! I really want to go on the hunt for some mushrooms now.
Yet another fantastic book on mushrooms!
In this guidebook you will find excellent photographs of mushrooms, information about different species of mushroom & fungai, how to cook, dry, prepare and identify them as well as about the mushrooms component breakdown,  the dietary value, nutritional value, medicinal purposes of them and how to use medicinally.

I will definitely be using this book for, as the book suggests, guidance on how to make things with fungai!

Thank you so much to Netgalley, Storey Publishing and Christopher Hobbs for the eARC. All opinions are my own.
Chock-full of information about the medicinal benefits of mushrooms written by a man who has long been passionate about their healing properties.

I like that he backs his information on each type of mushroom on research findings and human studies. This is an absolute MUST for me when it comes to health and life. Our immunity is now more important than ever due to COVID and I for one would not mind getting protection from mushrooms which I would love to eat at every meal anyway!

A lot of practical information are also included such as how to buy the best mushrooms, how to store them, how to make powders from them,  all of which I found so useful.

There is a section on how to make your own mushroom medicine as well and it doesn't seem to be that difficult a thing to do, surprisingly.

Other pluses about the book are that it is highly readable and the photographs are plentiful and gorgeous to boot.

Interestingly, there is a chapter on psilocybin, the possession of which I am sure could land me in jail or worse!
--Stupendous Mushroom Book--

I received an advanced review copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley and here are my thoughts.

I have been waiting for THIS book on Mushrooms!

This book focuses on the top medicinal mushrooms, tells you how to obtain them or grow them. And tells you how to prepare them.

All the scientific information and usage details you could want.

AMAZING photographs.

I was practically salivating while looking through the preview copy. It wasn't because there are cookbook style pictures of "mushroom recipes". No, I was just stunned at how beautifully this book was created. The combination of words, photographs, and scholarship.

Outstanding.

Mushroom people, this one is for you!!!
A fantastic mushroom guidebook for those interested in the medicinal benefits of mushrooms but don't know where to start.

Christopher's life-long interest and expert knowledge of mushrooms is evident from his clear explanations which he manages to make wonderfully simple for the lay reader.  He describes the multitude of under-appreciated medicinal benefits they have - from the simple dietary benefits through mood and energy boosting, sleep promotion, immune support, infection treatment to heart disease prevention, memory and cancer support, and more.

This fully comprehensive guide tells you all you need to know: how to buy, forage or grow mushrooms yourself and how to process and store all the different varieties.   For those worried about the perils of mushrooms there are clear explanations of how to distinguish edible ones from their poisonous look-alikes.  It is full of helpful hints, such as how to assess mushroom quality and little-known tips such as the need to freeze dried mushrooms for a few days before storing to kill any larvae that might be present.

Accompanied by beautiful photographs this is a highly informative and attractive book.  The only downside being that as Christopher is based in the USA some of the descriptions and references at the back are not relevant to those in the UK.
I found this book to fascinating,  and informative, as well as deeply researched. I greatly enjoyed learning more about mushrooms and the hope they hold for the human body. I cannot wait for this book to come out so I can purchase it for my library.
Packed to the gills with information! This is a book that you will open again and again to reference. Christopher Hobbs knows his fungi for sure!

Thank you to Christopher Hobbs, Storey Publishing, and #NetGallery for an eARC of #ChristopherHobbssMedicinalMushrooms in exchange for an honest review.
While I may never be comfortable actually picking and ingesting mushrooms, this was a very helpful guide for learning about mushrooms.
If your looking for a complete source of information that covers variety, benefits, foraging and preparation look no further.  What Hobb's has put into this guide is a plethora of information for any one that has an interest in learning about mushrooms.  With everything from the anatomy of a shroom to the preparation, it's in here.
 I especially liked that he groups varieties into health benefits they are touted for i.e.: heart disease prevention and support.  Whether you are looking to add mushrooms as a food source or for a medicinal purpose, the information you need is inside the cover of this book.

The author has included multiple reference photo's to help guide you in your search, whether that is an aisle in your supermarket or in the wild.  He also includes labels to stay away from.  As someone who attempted to harvest chaga and found themselves with a burl instead, I highly recommend extensive research before attempting to harvest on your own.  Hobbs's guide is one resource for those jumping into the world of fungi.

Wow. So, when I was a kid, thunder and lightning in October meant mushrooms. Seeing the changes in our front yard, the cracks in the soil gradually getting bigger as these cute fungi emerge, always fascinated me. I enjoyed picking them but it wasn't until I was in my late 20's did I ever have a taste of fresh mushrooms. They were so good, sautéed with garlic  or scrambled eggs and spring onions. With this thought in mind, I decided to read this book. My expectations were apparently very simple compared to the reality that I faced while being immersed in the pages of this book. It's totally awesome, like who knew there's a whole universe of mushroom out there (the author, obviously)? There's so much to see, so much to learn. This is a great addition to your library or a gift to that someone who enjoys the outdoors.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Storey Publishing for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an unbiased review.
Soooo much information, and even more amazing photographs of mushrooms.  If you or someone you know is interested in holistic usage of fungi, this is definitely a book worth picking up.
I really liked this book. The information is easy to comprehend, it’s very interesting, I learned a lot.
The picture were relevant and beautiful. I recommend this book.
Thank you, NetGalley, Storey Publishing, and Christopher Hobbs for this arc. In exchange for an honest review.

Christopher Hobbs Medicinal Mushrooms The Essential Guide is a delightful and informative read. The phrase "you learn something new every day" is correctly applied to this guide as every page is filled with information, explanations, and great photos. The information discussed includes the benefits of everyday dietary needs to fighting infections, assisting bodily pains, and advancing organs' well-being widely expressed in this book. Also included are details on the identification, harvesting, and storage of mushrooms. Directions for making tinctures and extract powders are reviewed.  As a homeschooling family, this beautiful book inspires us to take the time to explore and forage for mushrooms. This book is a resource we will refer back too often and one I will recommend.
"Forest therapy" is right! Foraging and identifying mushrooms is like no other experience. Nature is truly miraculous, generous and endlessly fascinating. As a forager and fungi lover, this book is such a pleasure to absorb and learn from.

Connecting with nature, in this case fungi, is super sensory. We rely on nature and it relies on us and this book is chock full of information on how and why. I learned much more about healing/medicinal properties and nutritional values of various fungi. Though I've always loved eating fungi I haven't paid as much attention to nutrients and healing as flavour and texture...it is beneficial to be more mindful of that and, in fact, seek out fungi with particular purposes. There is much more than merely drying them and grinding them into powder to use as seasoning and making stock. They are nutritional and healing powerhouses used as salves, tinctures, anti-inflammatories, Vitamin D boosters and to improve insomnia, amongst many others.

The astounding photographs capture the earthiness of fungi and nature in colours and textures humans simply cannot replicate. Christopher Hobbs does a brilliant job of educating and communicating so naturally, full of passion and firsthand knowledge. If only this were to be required reading...people would be hooked! Mycology is pure joy. So is nature. Sometimes people look but don't see. This beautiful book helps the reader to appreciate what is around (and beneath!) us. I'll definitely be buying a copy of it to complement field guides. However, you needn't be a forager or mycologist to glean information from this book. Those interested in nutrition and feeling better (nearly everyone?) would benefit as well, as would hikers, walkers and armchair nature lovers.

My sincere thank you to Storey Publishing and NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC of this enthralling book. Much appreciated.
An extremely interesting book, full of useful - and good to know - information. Although it is an American publication and some information applies to fungi that may not be found in other countries, much is relevant to multiple locations. It is definitely worth reading and something I shall also be purchasing for my dad.

It is well written and researched, which is of course vital when you're talking about something that could be fatal if mistakes are made. I read this book feeling from the beginning that I could trust the information, though I would always advise people to be careful and double check everything.
This was fascinating! Who knew mushrooms were so beneficial?  Not being an expert at mushrooms (but love eating them!) I enjoyed much of this book.  My only issue was- where do you find these mushrooms to buy?? Unless you are an expert, foraging for them, can be extremely dangerous! Thankfully, Mr. Hobbs has included mushrooms that should be easily found in a well stocked grocery store, so there are some I can buy and try!  Still, it was interesting to read about the many 'shrooms out there and their medicinal qualities. Good read for foragers, and natural medicine folks!
An outstanding book on mushrooms,  giving experts and beginners information to help us decide how to find and use these powerhouses of health in incredible detail. I couldn’t put it down. I will buy a paper copy for my family to use for help in the future. Even a simple hint on how to increase the vitamin D in your bought mushrooms by cutting them and leaving them in the sun for half an hour before cooking can improve the woeful lack of vitamin D in our diets. Such a great book all round, get it.
Interesting look at mushrooms and their medicinal purposes. Author gives you a guide to the how and what of each mushroom beneficial to medicinal under the guise of his journey with the fungus and certain study trials. I am not a big connoisseur of mushrooms but I study botany and I thought this was an interesting book.

What did I like? Author gives a well rounded amount of information about a variety of medicinal mushrooms. I also enjoyed the part where the mushroom was cut up, and used for tinctures in a step by step way.  I’m not a huge fan of mushrooms but I think most of the ideas in the book can be used in a variety of botany related medicinal purposes. I’m more likely to buy a powdered form but unfortunately you never really know what your getting in a powdered form.

Would I recommend or buy? This is for die hard fans of mushroom lovers but I still found the study interesting. I think the author did an amazing job and has shown quite a bit of knowledge about a majority of mushrooms. I would definitely love a copy. I’m hesitant to really try foraging for mushrooms mainly because certain poisonous ones look similar to edible ones. Still this was a fun and educational book.

I received a copy to read and offer an opinion. Five stars and educational read!