Cover Image: Sydney and Taylor Take a Flying Leap

Sydney and Taylor Take a Flying Leap

Sydney is a skunk and his good friend, Taylor, is a hedgehog with Big Ideas. His latest Big Idea is a strong desire to fly. Sydney has always supported Taylor's Big Ideas but he is not sure about this one. He just can't imagine a flying hedgehog. Birds and a bat try to help but can a timid, round ball of a hedgehog ever really fly? Maybe - with a bit of luck, some ingenuity, and - of course - the help of good friends. Bottom line - keep on dreaming and pursuing your big ideas!
Parents, teachers, and librarians are always on the lookout for books to give to kids that are transitioning from early readers to chapter books. This series is a great choice. Though you might want to have some tuna fish sandwiches nearby.
Thanks to Net Galley for the eARC. #SydneyandTaylorTakeaFlyingLeap #NetGalley
This is such a sweet chapter book for kids dipping their feet into longer books. I loved Sydney and Taylor and the friendship and kindness within the story. Definitely recommend for budding readers!
This book is super cute and super funny. Great for beginners when it comes to chapter books. Will grab a child’s attention in a heartbeat. Well done!
I had so much fun joining Sydney and Taylor on this journey! Whether you're like Taylor and always have a big idea, or you're more like Sydney who knows hedgehogs can't fly, you will enjoy relating to these fun woodland characters who remind us that no matter how crazy the idea is, If we have faith in our friends, together we can soar! This is the perfect beginning chapter book to hook the reluctant or timid readers in my classroom.
Sydney and Taylor are best friends; They do everything together and then one day, Taylor decides he wants to fly. The problem with that is hedgehogs do not fly! Sydney points this out but his best buddy is determine to achieve this great act.  Sydney does his best to talk Taylor out of doing this but Taylor doesn't want to hear any of Sydney's objections. After many failed attempts at flying; some which could have injured Taylor, Sydney finally decides to help his buddy out. Kids will enjoy this funny and kind story about two best friends who are quite different.
I am always on the look out for early chapter books to engage my beginning readers and this series has it all. A cast of engaging, funny animals friends, laugh-out-loud adventures, and captivating illustrations. Sydney and Taylor already have a fan following and I know readers are going to be delighted to join these two friends on their next adventure.

Perfect for grades 1-3 for all levels of readers.
A great second book in a sweet and kind beginning chapter book series.  I love the illustrations and how the story all ties together through it's little details.  My six year old loved this book as a bedtime read together.
How cute was this! Not only was it silly but it had a great message of working together & achieving things we set our minds on, even if that’s a hedgehog wanting to fly! I loved all the illustrations and how easy it was to read! It’s perfect for beginning readers & I cannot wait to see this on library shelves soon!
A new early chapter series starring lovable, entertaining animals friends & bright, eye-catching illustrations…
I really enjoyed this book. The full-color illustrations are fantastic and help immerse the reader in the story and setting. The text is clear to read, with generous white space, Great vocabulary for independent readers. The story is funny, with mild suspense. The friendship between Sydney and Taylor is realistic, even if they are a skunk and hedgehog!
Sweet book that helps children understand the importance of friendship, believing in yourself, supporting others, and not giving up on your dreams no matter how big they might be.

Sydney and Taylor are a cute little skunk and hedgehog who happen to be best friends and burrow mates. Taylor is known for his BIG ideas and he has a doozy this time! Taylor seeks help and advice from Sydney and other wildlife friends in order to make his dream come true.
Simply Adorable! Sure to be a big hit with elementary readers. I loved this sweet easy chapter book and want to get my hands on the first book.. This chapter book along with the first one would make for some fun spring time reading. If you have a beginning reader, and one that has wanted to read fun chapter books please look into this series.
In the newest adventure of Sydney and Taylor, Taylor has another big idea. Today, he is going to fly. Sydney has some concerns about this, mostly being the fact that hedgehogs do not have wings, therefore cannot fly. Taylor isn't about to let a little silliness like no wings stop him as he asks birds, and a deer, and eventually a bat to help him achieve his dream. A delightful colorful story about the fact that sometimes supporting your friends, means helping them out so they can do it safely. Bright and colorful with a fun cast of characters.
This is the first Sydney and Taylor book I have read, but I have already requested the first book from my library (Sydney and Taylor Explore the Whole Wide World) and look forward to Sydney and Taylor and the Great Friend Expedition coming next year. The illustrations in this early reader are adorable, although I will enjoy seeing them in printed form since the digital ARC did not always align the text and illustrations.
In this story, Taylor the hedgehog wants to fly, which his practical friend Sydney (a skunk) informs him is impossible. Undaunted, Taylor seeks help elsewhere, making one attempt after another, and expressing his disappointment in Sydney's lack of encouragement.  Like many friendship stories, these two experience disagreement, but come together in the end, as true friends always do. It is a sweet, reassuring, funny story that beginning readers can enjoy independently.  Fans of Frog & Toad, Charlie & Mouse, and Henry & Mudge will love this new series, which is perfect for K-2nd graders.
Thank you to #netgalley for the eARC. Opinions are my own.
Sydney and Taylor are two fun-loving creatures who always make everything an adventure! The quirky but loving relationship between these two friends makes this a must-read.  Jacqueline Davies always finds a way to delight young emerging readers into the world of fiction! Thanks for sending to #bookallies to reveiw!
An adorable book about a skunk and a hedgehog who are best friends. Taylor is a hedgehog who wants to fly like a bird. Sydney keeps telling Taylor that he can't fly. Taylor tries many methods of flying, but it is Sydney who brings Taylor's "Big Idea" to fuition. Of course, there are complications with the plan, and Taylor has to come up with one more "Big Idea" to save the day.

Delightful and a great book for early chapter readers. I have put this on the list of things to give as a birthday gift.
I received a digital ARC through NetGalley from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children’s. This chapter book is good for ages 6-8 who are just starting to gain confidence as chapter book readers. Stanley the Skunk and Taylor the Hedgehog are the best of friends who support each other. Taylor wants to fly, but Stanley tells him hedgehogs can’t fly. Through trial and error, Taylor experiments with flying and by the end the two friends see the benefits of being a supportive team. Wonderful color illustrations. My son loved this and doesn’t want to wait till 2022 for the book in the series.
A great book appropriate for elementary, virtual school, or home use. Thoroughly enjoyed by my second graders.
Thanks to NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.

Sydney & Taylor Take a Flying Leap is an adorable early reader book. The two best friends live in a burrow, and Sydney the skunk is a bit more reserved while Taylor the hedgehog is full of "Big Ideas". When Taylor decides he wants to fly, he consults a variety of other animals on how to make this wish come true. Great story about friendship, and supporting your best friend no matter how crazy their big idea might seem. Beautiful illustrations make this story a treat to read.
The author's series The Lemonade War has been very popular with 3rd and 4th grade readers, as well as their teachers.  Many of the titles were nominated for New Hampshire's "Cochecho Readers Award".  I'm sure this (I hope series) will delight new "readers".