Cover Image: Chainsaw Man, Vol. 1

Chainsaw Man, Vol. 1

This story starts with an orphaned boy and his dog. A tried and tested formula. But what if the dog was a chainsaw, and the boy hunts devils for the Yakusa. Things start to get interesting in the most absurd way, and it only gets weirder. But is Chainsaw Man worth reading?

Some might recognise the author and artist Tatsuki Fujimoto as the mangaka of Fire Punch; with its final volume releasing in October 2019. Initially, a sleeper hit, Fire Punch has gained more popularity over the last eight months. This momentum seems to have jumped over to Chainsaw Man, after hearing it come up on podcasts and seeing it pop up on my twitter feed, I had to take a look.

Denji, the Chainsaw Man
The series follows Denji, an orphaned boy who’s in the employ of the Yakuza after his father committed suicide. Leaving Denji indebted to the gangsters for a large sum of money, the young boy has to come up with some creative ways to make money.

His main revenue stream is hunting down Devils for the Yakuza with the aid of his best friend, loyal Chainsaw Devil Pochita. But after leaving the Yakuza and gaining the ability to turn into a Chainsaw Man for ‘reasons’, Denji’s small world is opened up.

With Denji’s potential spotted by agent Mikima and being a sixteen-year-old with no prospects, he joins her Public Safety Devil Hunter team. Specifically, experimental Division Four, where all the oddballs are. Chainsaw Man is a Shōnen after all.

But why would Denji subject himself to a life of danger and extreme violence? He is a sixteen-year-old boy, girls! Or to be more exact, Mikima although this seems like a lazy and obvious reason. The way Denji acts is pretty much like any boy of his age. Well, with a little added Shōnen-ness mixed in with a healthy amount of The Inbetweeners (a UK comedy series about teen boys everyone should watch).

What the hell are devils though?
Devils are demons which generally cause havoc and destruction. However, some devils allow humans to form contracts with them, allowing for mutually beneficial arrangements. A Devil’s form is based on a thing, with the strength of the Devil determined by how scary that thing is. For example, a Ghost is more feared than a Tomato. Thus a Ghost Devil would be stronger than a Tomato Devil.

Home Manga Comedy
Sabrina Heep
TRANSLATOR
Amanda Haley
Amazon

Chainsaw Man is the violent story of Denji, a sixteen-year-old boy and his chainsaw dog in a world plagued by Devils. With new chapters published weekly in the west via Viz Media’s Shonen Jump. There are currently four volumes out physically in Japan. Unfortunately, no plans on the horizon for an English physical release (as of posting)

covers  - Is Chainsaw Man worth reading?

Denji, the Chainsaw Man

Sell a nut

It’s like the extremely violent American Pie we never knew we needed.

Pochita - Is Chainsaw Man worth reading?

What the hell are devils though?

Strengths
Personally, Chainsaw Man wins my (non-devil) heart on three fronts.

Firstly the completely over the top action is very well done. Readers may remember that I mentioned my love of 2000AD in this blogs first post. Well, Chainsaw Man nails the more absurd elements of 2000AD. If you want to see a showdown where one fighter has chainsaws sprouting from his arms and face, and his opponent has katana arms and face. Well, this is the manga for you!

Secondly, the series is hilarious. Yes, the humour is quite crude in places (but may not be to everyone’s taste). In a medium where translations are so crucial for comedic effect, having the jokes almost served up on a plate is quite nice. A particular ‘romantic‘ scene caused a slightly embarrassing moment where I let slip quite a loud, spontaneous laugh on a public bus. It’s like the extremely violent American Pie we never knew we needed.

Thirdly the characters. It feels like every enemy is a concept taken to it’s most ridiculous extreme. The Division 4 team members, once introduced, become quite lovable idiots who you end up caring for quite quickly. The powers of certain devils are very creative; the Fox Devil is particularly brilliant in its concept and visual implementation.

Combining this all together makes Chainsaw Man so easy to read. It’s the first manga I’ve managed to binge forty-odd chapters in a workweek in quite some time. Chapters ending in fights make you want to see what happens next, finishing an arc makes you want to see what stupid antics Denji will get up to in the next one.

Weaknesses
The humour might not be to everyone’s taste. Yes, it a little crude early on (in my eyes it gets less so as the story and characters mature) and that will put some people off. Also, characters motivations at first are a little too Shōnen in places, but I can excuse it on its other strengths. This might not be the case for everyone, but I’d say read on a little more if you are feeling put off as things do improve.

The art of Chainsaw Man

Chainsaw Man’s world is such a grim place. The characters are always in back alleys, basements and other dark and dirty locales. The art nails this sense of place. Even with the humour lightening the mode, you can always see that Denji’s existence is horrible per reasonable standards of living. Although this lovable idiot seems to be happy enough.

The action flows nicely, and the panelling gives perfect comic timing. Even in the deadliest of fights, there is a touch of comedy. With such a focus on violence, the combat is frenetic, choppy (pun) and gruesome without being completely disgusting.

Devils stand out from the cast by being heavily shaded, almost scribbled in places. They pop right out of the page at you. Their designs range from comedic dog chainsaws, disgusting zombies, and then to weird abstract forms. Each one is unique, and every time a new devil is mentioned, I can’t wait to see its design.

One final cool touch is the inclusion of scanlines. It gives the art a unique grindhouse vibe which I’ve not seen into many other series. I think it could become overused, but luckily Fujimoto has kept it an occasional feature and not overplayed it.

Is Chainsaw Man worth reading?
Hell yes! Be prepared to sign that Devil’s contract, as you’ll suddenly lose several days to the Chainsaw Man binge that will follow. The series is pure adrenaline-soaked fun with plenty of comedy to lighten the mood. You’ll breeze through the chapters without realising what’s going on in the world outside and once catching up, be left waiting for your weekly fix.

I’ve enjoyed Chainsaw Man so much that I aim to rectify missing out on Fire Punch. Being so close to Christmas, this has gone straight onto my Amazon gift list. Let’s hope I’ll be a lucky boy on December 25th. Well if not, it’s not too long until my birthday.

Chainsaw Man was selected in our Manga Worth 2019 list. Why not see what else was?
I was interested in previewing this title to see if it would be appropriate for my library's YA collection. This volume is even if it has quite a bit of violence. The context of the story makes up for a lot of it. The main character inherited his family's debt and decided to become a demon slayer to earn money. He barely can live because of how much the debt is. He befriends a cute little chainsaw demon dog. An accident happens and he and the demon dog merge bodies and become chainsaw man. Then he starts working for an organization of demon slayers and is happy for the first time because he's able to get things he couldn't before. I'm interested to see where this story goes.
Thank you so much to Viz and NetGalley for the review copy!

I knew nothing about this going in, and it was interesting to say the least. I'm very curious on where it could go from here, and I think there's an anime as well that I plan to check out.
Pachito is so cute!!!

Denji's situation has an overall gloomy feeling to it as well, but I'm hoping he gets more hopeful over time! I also really enjoyed this art style as well. I'd recommend it if you like action packed, gory, and interesting manga!
Chainsaw man is about being in a world of devils and devil hunters, Denji is a poor young man who will do anything for money, including selling organs and taking on odd, dangerous jobs hunting down devils with his pet dog, Pochita.

This manga is interesting right off the back with its protagonist, he is struggling with the debt that was left behind by his father and is just trying to survive and while it isn't easy is is accompanied by is dog who just helps him move forward but things takes a turn for the worst when he is betrayed and gets the power of a devil and when he unleashes it he becomes chainsaw man.

This manga from the first volume is filled with a lot of gore but it does have its share of emotional panels and at times it is funny but gore is the highlight of this manga. So far I have enjoyed my reading of this mangs and  can't wait to get my hands on the other copies.
Unfortunately I just wasn't a fan of this story. I found myself reading page and totally forgetting what I just flipped past. I'm not sure if I was just having a bad day or if it was just a bad genre for me. I tried reading it over the course of a few weeks and was just unable to muster up the motivation to finish.
Chainsaw man Vol. 1 packs a punch! Tatsuki Fujimoto's previous series left me with complex feelings (specifically on execution of certain sensitive topics), so I was interested to see his approach to similar themes (such as death, kinship, and trust) in this series. Fujimoto pacing is snappy, but never rushed. He reveals important plot points well, without an excessive use of written exposition, and this allows readers to come to their own conclusions in due time. This first volume introduces the main cast concisely but clearly, and it definitely feels like each of them has true weight and stakes in this world. Through lively linework and smart writing, Fujimoto leaves readers with questions about desire and desparation as well as a desire to read on.
After mostly reading books where the lead characters are paragons of virtue/heroism, it's nice to get into a title centered on an anti-hero. The premise of Chainsaw Man is simple and (so far) character-driven. Goal 1: Get out of debt. Goal 2: Have toast with jam for breakfast. Goal 3 is .... also simple and honestly not surprising for a character his age. As much as I enjoy the established titles that have detailed world-building involved, it's nice to start with something this new and refreshing. (I received a free ARC via Netgalley in exchange for my honest opinion.)
I never dreamed I would get so invested in this book.  Engaging, Emotional, funny. All around very good.
This book was not what I expected and found it to be so much better. I loved getting to to see the character and was sad about how things were for his life but he kept going. He was reckless but didn't have much of a choice of how things were going for him. I'm just so excited about coming across this manga and can't wait to see what's in store for the next books because apparently theres a couple out there now so now that I've read this I need to see what happens next!
Okay, I really dug this one, it's got laughs, sad-ish moments, action, and a good story. Denji is stuck in the paying-off-parental-debt trope, working for the yakuza as a devil hunter along with his trusty devil-dog Pochita. He gets double-crossed on a job and killed by a devil, set to be turned into a zombie when his devil-dog saves, turning Denji into a human/demon hybrid. Now he's Chainsaw Man, working as an official government devil hunter, just happy to have a place to live and regular meals, dealing with teen boy stuff. Will he be able to get along with the other agents? Will he get ousted from the agency? More importantly, will he get to touch a girl's boobs?
The story is fun, Denji is a great character, and Power is intriguing, and the art is great. Looking forward to volume 2!

#ChainsawManVol1 #NetGalley
Wow. This will be the shortest, harshest review I have ever written. It’s that bad.

Denji is a boy who inherited his father’s debt to the Yakuza when the latter killed himself. In order to pay off that debt, Denji sells his own body parts and hunts devils with his pet devil named Pochita, who is a cross between a dog and a chainsaw. When Denji is killed, he is given life anew by Pochita and becomes the eponymous Chainsaw Man.

Now, I’m down for ridiculous pitches like this, but the resulting story must be well-written. This manga reads like it was written by a 10-year-old. Instead of a series of intricately crafted cause-and-effect events, this one feels like a child telling a story: “This happened and then this happened and then this happened . . .” Between the random, jarring transitions and the absolutely terrible dialogue, this is one of the worst books I have ever read.

Since this book is getting a good number of decent reviews, obviously many won’t agree. If you are a manga fan looking for some crazy, mindless entertainment, you may enjoy this. I, however, won’t be reading any more from this series.

*Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for providing this ARC in exchange for my honest review.
Everybody has their own stuff to inherit from their parents. It could be material hand me downs, priceless life lessons, tons of wealth, or humongous amount of debt. Unfortunately, not everybody is born sucking a silver spoon. Some were born sucking a rotting dog’s toenails. Add in the wicked imagination of a mangaka and an opportunity to make the saddest, darnest story, and here we are sitting for the next few hours digesting the first volume of Chainsaw Man.
There is a morbid joy that one gets reading this book. It's really dark. There is murder, gang violence, and demons all within the first few pages. The protagonist deals with extreme poverty and post-traumatic issues related to his poverty and his father's suicide. It is a lot to unpack in the first chapter.

The birth of the chainsaw man is interesting and surprisingly sweet. I'm not sure those feelings carry over to Denji's immaturity. He seems to be an adult with a deep, close relationship with his pet; but very few other redeeming qualities. His limited dreams and desires are the lens through which we understand the austerity of his circumstances.

The title has some sexualization, violence, and gore.
Denji was down on his luck, selling body parts to pay his debt to a mobster when he met a little chainsaw monster named Pochita. Despite barely having enough to feed himself, he took the little guy in and took care of him. The devil-dog paid Denji back by merging with the kid when he was on the verge of death. Now, when he is in great peril, Denji can call on his friend's power to transform into...Chainsaw Man!

Creator Tatsuki Fujimoto drops us into this strange version of our world filled with monsters call “devils.” This is a bit like Pokemon in that they come in all shapes and sizes and seem to roam around the world, however, that's where the similarities end. These creatures are deadly, even the adorable ones like Pochita. An organization is tasked with hunting them, kind of like a supernatural version of animal control.

This is a pretty fascinating concept; however, it gets bogged down by Denji's immaturity and overall lackluster personality. He's been dealt a bum hand in life, but even when he gets a chance to rise up the food chain, he still wallows in his bad luck. His only real quest is not for a better life or to have a few bucks in his pocket, but to touch some boobs. Seriously, that's all he wants.

While this might have been great for a laugh in an ‘80s teen sex comedy, it feels really out of place in this day and age. There are better ways to get Denji's unrequited love for his new boss at the monster hunting organization than a lust for her breasts. It takes away from the credibility built up throughout the story.

The design for the Chainsaw Man is pretty epic. It starts out simple with Denji waking up from what should have been his death with a pullcord sticking out of his chest. You can probably guess what happens when he pulls it. Denji sports a total of five chainsaws (one on each leg, one on each arm, and fortunately, one on his head, not elsewhere), turning him into a blood-drenched warrior hacking his way through devils big and small.

Fujimoto often depicts Chainsaw Man as a blur, with the sharp blades spinning at such a fast pace that your eyes can't focus on them. You can imagine a heavy metal soundtrack booming when the character appears on the page. It's super gory and pretty awesome. It's also not overdone as it takes a lot for Denji to pull the trigger on this transformation so every time it happens, it's a treat.

Chainsaw Man introduces us to a world of monsters, forcing its main character to become one in order to live there. It has a tremendous amount of potential if it can avoid the groan-worthy juvenile humor it seems to divert so much attention to.
Chainsaw Man is an interesting manga, and certainly one of the most visually interesting mangas, as well mythologically engrossing, I’ve come across in awhile.

The story revolves around a young man, named Denji, trying to escape his father’s debt by hunting down demons with his pet demon dog, named Pochita, who has a chainsaw on his head. While this is a ridiculous image and concept, the first chapter goes out of its way to ground it with a very heartwarming relationship between the two characters to where I can’t help but keep reading. Unfortunately, as you can read from the descriptions, the two are killed by a demon and in a last ditch effort to keep Denji alive, Pochita sacrifices itself by fusing with Denji to bring them back so they can “live their dreams.”

Honestly, it kinda fucked me up with how much I came to care for these two in the span of just an issue.

Anyway, Denji slaughters the demon with his newfound chainsaw powers where he gets a chainsaw for a head and arms, before being recruited by a professional demon hunting corporation. And that’s the concept of this series.

While the start was incredibly strong and immediately resonated with me, the following chapters weren’t as emotionally engrossing but were certainly still entertaining and make it clear that Denji’s quest for happiness and to live a simple life of freedom is still out of reach. There’s a dark undercurrent to the story despite the silliness of the concept, but honestly, I feel the concept also works in helping provide some levity to how serious some of the matter can be in the subtext. It honestly reminded me a bit of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in how a silly concept with high stakes and proper wit, comedy and characterization can make for a good story.

I also found the main character of Denji to be rather realistic and easy to root for. While at the end of the day, he’s still a straight man, I can’t help but want to see this straight man achieve his dreams because of everything he’s endured and all the hard work he’s put in to get where he is.

If anything, I’d have to say that the characters I don’t like so far are the humans. They’re written well, or at least decent enough for the roles they provide in Denji’s life to the point that I actually want to see Denji take them out as the story goes on. I don’t trust Makima or Hayakawa, though I suspect that Hayakawa might actually be easier to turn to Denji’s side than Makima. Something about Makima gives me Big Bad vibes, or at least antagonistic vibes. I can’t see her becoming someone Denji can truly trust, and I hope as he develops, we get to see him outgrow his crush on her.

The art itself is visually appealing, though I’ll admit I noticed a distinct lack of backgrounds in a lot of the panels. There doesn’t need to be backgrounds in every panel, but it felt like at times there was just nothing behind characters. Considering the crunch time to put out these chapters, I can’t say I’m surprised, but I just feel that’s worth bringing up.

Overall, I would recommend this series for newbies to manga, as well as established manga readers, just because there is something fresh to it. While the concept is odd and the plot itself isn’t anything too enticing, the character work and art is the lifeblood of the series, and I look forward to reading more of it.
Wow, this was amazing!

I had very low expectations for this. I heard about this for awhile, but I’m not the biggest fan of gore, so I wasn’t sure I would enjoy it, but the minute I started reading I was absolutely hooked.

It’s one of those mangas that shows that it is gory, and while it is full of gore, it’s also incredibly funny at times. It knows how to balance the tone out, so while it can be bloody and horrific, it never feels depressing. I actually really enjoyed the humorous and wholesome moments, because they fleshed out the characters with it. I don’t think it would’ve been easy to read if it was bleak and depressing all the time, and I think it’s a testament to the authors skill that they were able to balance out such contrasting tones without causing whiplash. I also appreciate how most of the character motivations were very wholesome, either desiring a normal life or try into to save their pets. I relate so much to this.

The introduction of Power was insane. She’s blood hungry and hates humans and I didn’t know what to make of her, but the minute she mentioned how her sole motivation was to save her cat I was like “I completely understand you.” All the characters are fascinating and interesting, and I can’t wait to see how their stories progress.

I’m really eager to read the next volume, because the cliff hanger has me wanting more.
Okay so hands down the reason I wanted to read this was 'chainsaw dog demon', who wouldn't want to see that? The first volume incorporates chapters 1 to 7 and it is a wild ride from start to finish.

First up, you will feel sorry for Denji, the main character, pretty much the entire way through so be prepared for that. He has so many debts due to his late father that he struggles to even be able to afford a slice of bread each day. I don't know how many times I said 'aww' in total but it was over 5 for definite. His devil-dog Pochita is seriously adorable too, just a round little devil dog with a chainsaw through it's body.

Pochita is basically the only real friend Denji has ever had, and this shows greatly through his inability to socialise. The very first chapter ends up with him being brutally attacked (in case you weren't aware, this series is super gory) to the extent he's hacked up but Pochita uses his devil powers to basically give him heart in exchange for the promise that he lives out his dreams.

But, dreams-wise he isn't after much. All he wants is a safe place to stay where he'll be fed and can relax and he gets that pretty much straight away but with a catch - he has to work as a devil hunter for the government. Not a bad trade off for a former devil hunter really!

He ends up with powers thanks to his chainsaw-devil-dog too - when fighting he can turn parts of himself into chainsaws and attack with them. It's very cool but it leads to him kind of being held captive by the organisation because of the weird situation of him being part devil.

What I really enjoyed about the first volume though was the fact it made me go through a few emotions in what's really a short amount of time. I was scared for Denji, I felt sorry for him, and he also made me laugh on a few occasions with how ridiculous he can be (I can't spoilt his biggest dream but I can assure you, it'll have you chuckling when you read it).

In terms of other characters the only one who really stood out was Power, a devil (known as a fiend after they took the body of a human) who's female but pretty cunning. She tricks Denji into doing things and lies but I'm hoping in future volumes she might have some kind of redemption arc where she ends up being a good devil.

Overall, it's a solid first volume and it definitely made me want to read more!

Will update this with a link as soon as it's live on my site - going up on November 1st!
When you think of a manga named “Chainsaw Man” what comes to mind? Is it literally a man made of chainsaws just mowing down people left and right? If you thought that you wouldn’t be wrong, but you wouldn’t be exactly right either. “Chainsaw Man” Vol.1 by Tatsuki Fujimoto published by Viz Media tells a story that you wouldn’t really expect, with great action scenes as well as lighthearted moments too.

Within the world of “Chainsaw Man” everyday normal people live with devils who hunt eachother down. These devils can come in different forms. So for example a devil could turn people into frogs that devil would be the Devil Frog. Seems silly but you never know that very well may be a thing in this world. In this story we follow a man named Denji and Pochita, his devil dog who has a chainsaw for a body. We quickly find out that Denji is in debt beyond belief, so much to where he’s selling off his body parts in order to pay off his debt.. In a sad turn of events Denji is murdered, but Pochita gives him his heart so he can live. Then boom! Chainsaw man is born, and this is where the plot really kicks off.

We’re introduced to how the world works almost immediately after Denji dies. As well as  what may be happening behind the scenes,also who else hunts the devils. As well as some other devil classes. But what really makes the story stand out is the blend of humor, action, and wholesomeness. As said before Denji is a very poor man, hes a fish out of water. Because of this a lot of humor comes into play. Watching him being exposed to something as simple as balanced breakfast and think this is what the 1% of the world eats is heartwarming. The only other friend he had was Pochita so it’s clear he doesn’t really know how to socialize with other people, just dreaming of the day where he could ask a pretty girl out on a date and spoil her.

But since he has never talked to a girl, he’s almost like a horned up teenager fighting his urges not to creep people out. A lot of the humor is very childish but it still lands everytime. We see him get into all sorts of situations because he was perhaps thinking with another head. Because of that it causes some funny moments with people he comes across.

But when the action scenes hit, they hit hard. It’s humorous to see the story go from quirky antics to bloody fights in a few short pagesYou’d expect nothing less from a manga called “Chainsaw Man” and oh boy does it deliver. Whenever we see him go in full chainsaw mode it’s almost a work of art. It makes you wonder how much more gruesome can they get? Especially since other characters are just as dangerous as Denji, making the fight scenes more interesting each time.

“Chainsaw Man” Vol.1 really came out of the doors swinging. With a name like that, how can you not read it? The manga is self-aware of itself too because they acknowledge how ridiculous his powers are and that’s what makes it so much more enjoyable. They don’t overdo it with the fighting and sprinkle in some great moments in it to keep the story rolling smoothly. Of course, it ends in your typical manga style with a cliffhanger leaving you wanting more.
Overall, I think it was a decent intro to this manga series, although I am not as hooked as some other people right now. I find the concept really interesting and the art style is also quite good but there were just not as many exciting events in this first volume as I hoped. Especially the backstory of the protagonist was a bit rushed in my opinion, although I found him a likable character in general and I think that he has a lot of potential. There are also some interesting side-characters introduced which made me a bit curious for a the next volume. I was not necessarily blown away by this manga but I will definitely continue with the series to see how it will develop. 3.5 of 5 stars overall.
Such an entertaining beginning to the series! Can not wait for more in this series and if you're in to action manga (or horror though it really leans more to the other) then you're going to love this.