Cover Image: The Puzzle Women

The Puzzle Women

A sincere thank you to the publisher, author and Netgalley for providing me with an ebook copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is not my usual genre,  however I wanted to take the opportunity to read something from outside my norm. And I am glad I did!! Thank you for  opening up my mind to something totally different. Characters were so well developed that I felt as though I knew them. I love when a book draws you into the story and it feels like you are living it with them.
I knew from my experience with Anna's other work, in particular her debut novel, The Rabbit Girls, that The Puzzle Women would be equal parts devastating and beautiful, and in this second offering Anna has refined those elements into a work that is insidiously gorgeous, heart-breaking and heart-warming at once: something that is truly bitter-sweet.

The reality of domestic abuse is laid bare: the threats, the double-edged mercies, the terrible violence. Papa is a shadow that falls across the characters and the narrative, skirting the edges of everything, always a step behind or, frighteningly, a step ahead, mirrored by the constant oppression and surveillance of the socialist DDR. It's pervasive and constant, but there is hope: kindness, compassion, the want to do right and to be done right by, and most of all, most importantly of all, love.

Lotte's chapters in particular are full of absolutely joyful descriptions of mundane things and actions, from baking a cake to playing with her favourite soft toy or trying, desperately, to remember the face of her mother. They are a delight, providing warmth and levity in a world that, for Rune, is so grey and unrelenting.

An inspiring and honest tale of survival, and the realities, cost, and consequence that survival can demand.
Wow I loved this... though I thoroughly enjoyed this authors first book! I have not moved for 3 hours as I really needed to find out what happened to lovely Lotte and the incredibly brave Ruan. The author wrote this book with such emotion and empathy I really felt their pain and the traumas they had suffered. A lovely unexpected happy ending! The icing on the cake! Well Done Anna
This was my first time reading a book by this author.  Well it sure won't be my last. I really loved this book and read it in one  sitting. The book was really well written with good characters.
3.5 stars

Lotte is an interesting character... taught to be independent,she uses it to her full advantage,as she tries to solve the mystery of a notebook sent in the post,possibly from her dead mother.
So,there's a mystery to solve,well two,if you count what did happen to her mother.
At times this book is brutal.
Mostly though,there's love.
A mother's love,sibling love,and the love and support of friends.

Set in fairly recent past,of which I know nothing of the history,it's made me want to read up some more.