Cover Image: Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange

Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange

Summer has turned into Autumn and we find ourselves returning to Mill Grange for more adventures with Thea, Tina, Sam and Shaun, alongside all of the volunteers plus some new faces too.

Sam having purchased Mill Grange is now working hard to turn it into a retreat for people like himself that are struggling to find their feet back in the real world after struggling to adjust after leaving the armed forces. Sam is still fighting his own demons but with Tina there by his side and with a little help from Bert and Mabel things could be getting better.

Things are getting exciting for Thea too as they have found the remains of a Roman fortlet within the grounds of Mill Grange. Thea is delighted with the discovery and soon finds herself becoming the lead Archaeologist on the site. This is a job that Thea loves and she is soon making the most of her time exploring. It is also taking her mind off Shaun, her boyfriend who is a famous Archaeologist who is away filming on a new tv series.

Shaun is away filming his new tv series which is proving to be incredibly difficult especially with the land owners who have no idea how much work is involved in the dig as their daughter has been the one doing all the planning. This has not gone down well causing more and more stress for Shaun who just wants to return to Mill Grange to film the unveiling of the Roman fortlet, and of course to see Thea.

Things are coming on quickly at Mill Grange but will they be ready to open as a treatment centre for who their first guests arrive.

This was such a wonderful treat to return to Mill grange and meet up with all of the characters we met in the first book. This book mainly focuses on the relationship of Sam and Tina. Sam is still crippled with claustrophobia and is still sleeping in a tent in the garden. Tina is by his side every night, but with the weather changing and the nights getting cooler she is not sure how long she can remain outside with Sam.

Tina is also finding her feet working as Sams partner at Mill Grange and she becomes very unsure of herself and her closeness to both Sam and Thea as she feels they are all keeping secrets from her.

I really enjoyed meeting up with Bert and Mabel again. They are such a loveable couple who just want to be able to help people. Bert has been a huge support to Sam and is really helping him conquer his demons.

We also meet some new characters within this book which all bring something new to Mill Grange and can't help staying.

This instalment has been a delight to read. The writing style of the book flows well and you can almost smell the scent of autumn dripping from each page

I am already looking forward to further adventures from Mill Grange.
I started reading this book and initially liked it but after a while I lost interest in it and could not stay invested in the actual story.  I liked the blub and the overview of what it was about, but sadly is just was not for me.  This book was just a little too fluffy for my taste, although I can see other people just loving it because of the sweet storyline and the quaint autumnal setting.
Thank you so much to NetGalley and Aria & Aries for my copy of Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange by Jenny Kane in exchange for an honest review. It published September 10, 2020.
This was such an atmospheric read that was so much more than your average cozy, feel-good romance. I felt like it respectfully and gently broached the subject of PTSD and related issues that come along with PTSD, specifically combat-related. I found the portrayal was honest and showed the gamut of support, disrespect and frustration that sufferers deal with. I think this book is a good opportunity to learn to be gentle and understanding of everyone, and to remember that everyone goes through hard stuff and we don't know every detail/response/reason.
I also really enjoyed the archaeology theme of this book. I learned quite a bit! I cannot say I've come across this topic very often, especially in a fiction and definitely kept my attention!
I will definitely be returning to Mill Grange to keep up on what everyone is doing!
Another instalment from Mill Grange, and the characters are nicely developed. It felt good to learn more about them since book one, and I enjoyed the various additional characters and situations. There's more to come I think xx
The first thing that drew me to this book was it's very charming cover. I'll admit I'm very drawn to books with autumn scenery on their cover.
This is the second book in the series but I was able to read it as a stand alone and not feel as though I've missed anything.
Once I started reading it I found myself zipping through the pages as I got into the interesting story line.
The author deals with a tough subject but made it look easy to do so.
Healing and rehabilitation are key here to moving on and making the kind of life he needs to live with his girlfriend. Deals with anxiety,claustrophobia,PTSD.
This is a feel-good book not to be missed as the author deals with the issues with compassion.

Published September 10th 2020 by Aria
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
4.5 Stars

Heart-warming, emotional and wonderfully uplifting, it’s impossible not to fall under Jenny Kane’s spell with her cosy and addictive new novel, Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange.

Sam’s experiences in the forces had changed him forever. He had returned back to England after serving abroad a broken man. The atrocities and shocking events he had seen unfold in front of him still haunt him and have left him with crippling anxiety, claustrophia and PTSD. Now the owner of Mill Grange, a beautiful house in the picturesque village of Upwich, Sam is determined to help out fellow soldiers who like him have been changed forever after returning back from their tours of duty. Sam is going to ensure that Mill Grange will be an ideal retreat for injured army personnel and hopes that by helping others deal with their own demons, he might find a way to vanquish his own. Sam has got plenty of people helping him out from village stalwarts Bertie and Mabel Hastings to the woman who means everything to him: Tina Martens…

It breaks Tina’s heart to see Sam so defeated. Despite her best efforts, Sam seems to still be haunted by devastating events in the past and there doesn’t seem to be anything she can do to help him – save help restore Mill Grange. Tina stands shoulder to shoulder with the man she loves – even if it means sleeping in a tent in the garden because Sam cannot face the thought of walking through the imposing doors of Mill Grange. Tina would do absolutely anything for Sam, but she cannot seem to shake off this feeling that he is keeping secrets from her. What is Sam hiding? And will it impact his relationship with Tina? Or succeed in making it stronger than ever?

Prior to Mill Grange being sold to Sam, celebrity archaeologist Shaun had discovered a Roman fortlet on the grounds which is now being overseen by his girlfriend, Thea. Thea is looking forward to rolling up her sleeves and getting to work – even if she is missing her boyfriend. Thea cannot help but miss his company and worry about the fact that her partner is working over in Cornwall and seemingly getting very close to another woman. Is Thea letting her imagination run away with her? Will Shaun be able to prove to her that she is the only one for him? Or will this be a case of out of sight, out of mind?

With so much upheaval in the air, one thing is for certain: life in Mill Grange is anything but boring!

Jenny Kane deftly juggles humour, pathos and drama in an irresistible romantic tale imbued with plenty of warmth and wit. Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange is a wonderful tale that touches on some very serious subjects and tackles topics like PTSD with depth, nuance and compassion without being trite or overblown.

The lives and loves of the Upwich community are as intriguing as ever and their trials and tribulations will keep readers glued to the pages and unable to put Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange down.

Feel-good, emotional and wonderfully compelling, Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange is another must-read novel by Jenny Kane that shouldn’t be missed.
A story about a group of friends from all walks of life wanting to provide a rehabilitation program for veterans, such as the manor’s owner, Sam. Sam, who has a debilitating case of claustrophobia, was an intriguing character who was my favourite in the story. He was ill and he knew he had to recover in order to move forward and have a future with girlfriend, Tina by overcoming his fear of being indoors. This made him real and I really like it when character’s are flawed and we get know to their vulnerabilities.

Tina was a great supporter to Sam and one that made me understand her when she was unsure if she had rushed into things with Sam. It was a very realistic situation and one that made it the story relatable.

I also enjoyed the sustainable aspects of the story and it was cute to read about the chickens and the relationship amongst them. It was borderline a novel that I consider “Hallmarky” – very cute, sweet, and charming, but maybe it was the holiday aspect that was missing that make me now fully label it as a Hallmark novel.

However, there are a lot of characters and a lot of different personalities within this story. I wasn’t aware this was a part of a series and I may have been able to have a better grasp on all the multiple characters. With that being said, it was difficult to keep track of who’s who and who is with who. I feel that the author should have slimmed down the amount of secondary characters, as well with the many protagonists. This took away from me fully enjoying a story that I know would have I thoroughly liked.
It was lovely to be back with all the familiar characters and to meet a few new ones as well. One of my favourite parts of this story was the different storylines which run alongside each other. There are several romances playing out, the hint of more to come and Mabel and Bert provide a great role model as the old married pair. They are particularly down to earth and tuned in to life at Mill Grange and offer good advice and lots of humour.

As before, the archaeological aspect adds a lot of interest- so much so that I totally believed in the two digs. You get to find out a little more about Sam's family in this book and see how he is coping with his PTSD and claustrophobia. With a gorgeous setting and a cast of well- established characters, this is a great sequel although it could be read as a standalone. There is still potential for a return trip so here's hoping!

Thanks to the publisher for a copy of the book
This was supposed to be a light and fun fall read, but it fell rather flat.

I didn’t realize that there was another book with these characters before this one when I started reading this book,  I even did a little research when I started to see if I was missing something and didn’t find much.  I wish I would have known that when I started.  One of the issues I had with this book was the lack of character development.  It was obvious that we were supposed to know these characters already and that was a big disappointment.

I kept trucking along and got to know the characters some along the way, but I just wasn’t that interested in them or their lives.   Not much seemed to happen to them in the story.

Was this a bad book?  No.  Would I recommend it?  Maybe.  If you like a book with a lot of fluff and light on plot, then this book may be for you.  If you like more substance to your stories, then give it a pass.
When I was invited to take part in the blog tour for ‘Autumn Leaves At Mill Grange’, I had forgotten that it was the second book in the Mill Grange series.  I hadn’t read the first book in the series but not to worry because ‘Autumn Leaves At Mill Grange’ works perfectly well as a standalone.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading ‘Autumn Leaves At Mill Grange’  but more about that in a bit.
It didn’t take me long at all to get into this book.  In fact by the time I got to the bottom of the first few pages, I knew that I wasn’t going to find it easy to put this book to one side for any length of time.  I must be psychic because that is exactly what happened.  My Kindle wasn’t exactly glued to my hand but it might as well have been because it travelled everywhere with me.  I found that I was particularly drawn to the character of Sam, as we have something in common.  Like Sam, I suffer from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, but mine stems from a very different experience to that of Sam.  I won’t bore you with the details but needless to say that it impacts on my life every day.  I was interested to see how Sam would deal with his condition and whether or not he managed to overcome it.  The pages turned over increasingly quickly as my need to know what happened grew and grew.  All too quickly I reached the end of the book and I had to bid farewell to Sam and the others.
‘Autumn Leaves At Mill Grange’ is extremely well written and I can’t believe that I have left it this long to discover how fantastic an author Jenny Kane is.  She grabs your attention and draws you into the story.  You then end up becoming that wrapped up in each character and their story that you couldn’t stop reading even if you wanted to.  Jenny has one of those writing styles that is easy to get used to and easy to get along with.   In fact reading one of Jenny’s books seems more like a chat between friends than reading an actual book.  I felt as though I was part of this story which is all down to Jenny’s characters and her fantastic, realistic and very vivid storytelling.
In short, I really enjoyed reading ‘Autumn Leaves At Mill Grange’ and I would have no hesitation in recommending this book to other readers.  I will definitely be reading more of Jenny’s work in the future.  The score on the Ginger Book Geek board is a very well deserved 5* out of 5*.
When I saw this cover I was like this must be something like Katie Fforde.
I am a hugeeee Fforde fan. But this wasn't really what I expected. It wasn't bad, it is solid 3 stars read.
But I just wanted more...
A well written an entertaining book.  Good plot  and character dynamics .  Very nice setting.  I received an advance ebook from the publisher and this is my unbiased review.
Having already read Midsummer Dreams at Mill Grange, I was very excited to get my hands on the next book in the series, Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange.  I really enjoy it when an author decides to create a series - it gives the reader more time with characters (such as Mabel and Bert!) but it also offers the opportunity to get to know other characters in a way we perhaps hadn't in previous novels.

Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange focuses on the set up of a retreat for injured army veterans, following Sam Phillips purchase of Mill Grange.  Sam himself suffers from crippling claustrophobia, and as a result he has not yet been able to cross the threshold of his new project.  His girlfriend Tina is keen to help him overcome his fears and is willing to do whatever it takes to help him.

Thea has remained at Mill Grange after the change in ownership to take over as Manager.  However with the discovery of a Roman fortlet within the grounds, she is keen to utilise her archaeological skills to uncover the treasures beneath the soil - her only disappointment is that Shaun, her handsome new celebrity boyfriend has had to leave to film for his show Landscape Treasures in Cornwall.

This is such a lovely novel, and a perfect sequel to Midsummer Dreams at Mill Grange.  I love the setting of Mill Grange, and it was such a treat to return there to learn more about these characters.  Sam is a fascinating character and whilst his situation is difficult, watching him work to overcome his problems is inspiring, particularly while he works hard to help others in similar situations.  The change in Tina was also lovely to follow, as she finds her way in a new relationship, particularly one which comes with issues.

I am more than happy to recommend this novel, but it would be a shame to read just Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange, so grab yourself a copy of Midsummer Dreams at Mill Grange too!
This is a sweet and slow paced story about love, friendship and work, ready?
I’ll start saying that this is the continuation of the book “Midsummer Dreams at Mill Grange”, so I would recommend you to start reading the first book of the series, the characters connections are assumed to be known and you could feel a little bit lost in the beginning, but don’t worry it is worth the read!
This is an interesting story with two couples as the main characters, their relationship and they problems, and how they will try to be better and change their problems with each other’s help. I think this book is written to show us (the readers) that if you ask for help or have someone on your side it always give the strength you need to face your fears, and this is something we all should know. With the right person on our side, the problems and fears can be something trivial, but first we have to share the fears.
On the other side, I loved the archeological part of the story, I think all houses have a past and it’s really interesting to discover who lived there and the story of why they left, don’t you think? In this case we will know some secrets and interesting facts from the past and how is related to the living ones.
This had been a sweet and interesting read, I am sure that Mill Grange will enchant you with their guests. Ready?
The best way to describe this book is to say it’s Hallmarks version of a novel. A cutesy, easy-going, bit more dramatic than necessary read with multiple characters to keep track of. It’s cozy and is enjoyable for a quick fall weekend read. I personally found the characters a bit too dramatic for my liking, but that’s why I related it to a Hallmark movie. I have to be in the mood for Hallmark movies (*ahem* Christmas), but if that’s your thing all year you would probably enjoy this even more.
Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange by Jenny Kane. Published by Aria and Aries on the 10th September 2020.

This is the second book of this series/duology.
Sam and Tina are readying Mill Grange for the Armed Forces personnel who will come to the Grange as a half way station between rehabilitation and the outside world. They are using the archaeological dig of a Fortlet in the grounds to provide training that can be used in other capacities, therefore giving those who come transferrable skills. They are being helped by Thea (a friend), who knows about archaeology and how to supervise a dig site. Her boyfriend Shaun, is a Presenter and Archaeologist, who fronts a TV show, and wants to film an episode at Mill Grange to give the house and what it aims to do publicity. Shaun however, is filming another dig and things are going slightly off plan.
Also, as part of the Mill Grange team there is Bert and Mabel. Bert helps around the place and is playing an important part in Sam’s life. Sam suffers from PTSD and has claustrophobia, as one of his symptoms. Bert, with Tina’s help and encouragement, as trying to help Sam over come this. Mabel is going to help the personnel with the cooking and planning of menus.
There are other side characters but I don’t want to mention them, as it would give too much of the plot away.
It was a well written book, good character portrayal. Jenny handled the PTSD with understanding and compassion. You felt you were able to step into the character’s shoes and experience things from their perspectives.
I would recommend this book and you don’t have to have read the first book to enjoy this one.
Thank you to Netgalley, Jenny Hale and Aria and Aries Publishing for an E ARC copy to read.
I came to understand that this is a sequel to a previous book. I really enjoyed the book and the characters based around Mill Grange near Exmoor during archeological digs and a television program. The characters and settings would have benefited from more descriptions, however, and I admit that I was a bit lost at the beginning as I couldn’t get a sense of understanding of the characters nor the relationships between them. I noticed one grammar error where “to” was used instead of “too” in dialogue between characters about half the way through the book. Overall, I did really enjoy the story but felt it could have been better, so I’m giving 4.5 stars.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  I really enjoyed this feel good, nice characters and nice storyline read.  Perfect for autumn coming up.
When we last left Mill Grange, Sam had purchased the property with plans to make it a site where others, like him, returning from the military with ongoing traumatic issues to deal with could find some peace and perhaps further their reintegration into society.  While the Grange is still being renovated and equipped for that purpose, Thea is excited about the find of a Roman fortlet on the property, and is working with her presenter-boyfriend Shaun to get his wildly popular television show to do a piece about both the fortlet and Sam’s plans to work with veterans of the services suffering from PTSD.

This series is so full of friendship, information and love! Tina is in love with Sam, while Sam is struggling with his father’s disappointment in his choices, and his inability to cope with severe claustrophobia.  In addition, Tina is also feeling a bit ‘left out’ with the easy camaraderie from her friends, her need to still manage the trust means hours away, and with Thea so busy with the fortlet and other work, Mabel now managing meals for guests, and Shaun off filming in Cornwall for another dig of what could possibly be an 11th century church, not to mention interference in his relationship with Thea all masterminded by the daughter of the house in Cornwall, and Thea’s old friend and workmate at the Roman Baths site turning up: people are often too busy to think, let alone spend quiet or quality friend time with each other.

What Kane has done here is brought in the archaeological moments and friendships (along with hiccups to work out along the way) and added new people into the mix, changing dynamics while pushing our main characters forward in their growth. With the addition of Helen, opportunities to use archaeology and the tasks required are highlighted for the veterans coming to Sam’s program while money woes, a new employee, a new batch of chickens to mix with Tony Stark’s crew and some lovely moments featuring the wise words of a five-year old boy bring us to new opportunities, new hopes and plenty of smiles all around.  A lovely foray into friendships, romances, the steady if not always forward progression of overcoming limitations and trauma, and plenty of laughs and advice from unlikely corners, I can’t wait for the next installment.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at   I am, Indeed
I enjoyed this book. I had never read anything by this author. I liked the story and the characters.