Cover Image: Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange

Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange

The best way to describe this book is to say it’s Hallmarks version of a novel. A cutesy, easy-going, bit more dramatic than necessary read with multiple characters to keep track of. It’s cozy and is enjoyable for a quick fall weekend read. I personally found the characters a bit too dramatic for my liking, but that’s why I related it to a Hallmark movie. I have to be in the mood for Hallmark movies (*ahem* Christmas), but if that’s your thing all year you would probably enjoy this even more.
Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange by Jenny Kane. Published by Aria and Aries on the 10th September 2020.

This is the second book of this series/duology.
Sam and Tina are readying Mill Grange for the Armed Forces personnel who will come to the Grange as a half way station between rehabilitation and the outside world. They are using the archaeological dig of a Fortlet in the grounds to provide training that can be used in other capacities, therefore giving those who come transferrable skills. They are being helped by Thea (a friend), who knows about archaeology and how to supervise a dig site. Her boyfriend Shaun, is a Presenter and Archaeologist, who fronts a TV show, and wants to film an episode at Mill Grange to give the house and what it aims to do publicity. Shaun however, is filming another dig and things are going slightly off plan.
Also, as part of the Mill Grange team there is Bert and Mabel. Bert helps around the place and is playing an important part in Sam’s life. Sam suffers from PTSD and has claustrophobia, as one of his symptoms. Bert, with Tina’s help and encouragement, as trying to help Sam over come this. Mabel is going to help the personnel with the cooking and planning of menus.
There are other side characters but I don’t want to mention them, as it would give too much of the plot away.
It was a well written book, good character portrayal. Jenny handled the PTSD with understanding and compassion. You felt you were able to step into the character’s shoes and experience things from their perspectives.
I would recommend this book and you don’t have to have read the first book to enjoy this one.
Thank you to Netgalley, Jenny Hale and Aria and Aries Publishing for an E ARC copy to read.
I came to understand that this is a sequel to a previous book. I really enjoyed the book and the characters based around Mill Grange near Exmoor during archeological digs and a television program. The characters and settings would have benefited from more descriptions, however, and I admit that I was a bit lost at the beginning as I couldn’t get a sense of understanding of the characters nor the relationships between them. I noticed one grammar error where “to” was used instead of “too” in dialogue between characters about half the way through the book. Overall, I did really enjoy the story but felt it could have been better, so I’m giving 4.5 stars.
Thanks Netgalley and the Publisher.  I really enjoyed this feel good, nice characters and nice storyline read.  Perfect for autumn coming up.
When we last left Mill Grange, Sam had purchased the property with plans to make it a site where others, like him, returning from the military with ongoing traumatic issues to deal with could find some peace and perhaps further their reintegration into society.  While the Grange is still being renovated and equipped for that purpose, Thea is excited about the find of a Roman fortlet on the property, and is working with her presenter-boyfriend Shaun to get his wildly popular television show to do a piece about both the fortlet and Sam’s plans to work with veterans of the services suffering from PTSD.

This series is so full of friendship, information and love! Tina is in love with Sam, while Sam is struggling with his father’s disappointment in his choices, and his inability to cope with severe claustrophobia.  In addition, Tina is also feeling a bit ‘left out’ with the easy camaraderie from her friends, her need to still manage the trust means hours away, and with Thea so busy with the fortlet and other work, Mabel now managing meals for guests, and Shaun off filming in Cornwall for another dig of what could possibly be an 11th century church, not to mention interference in his relationship with Thea all masterminded by the daughter of the house in Cornwall, and Thea’s old friend and workmate at the Roman Baths site turning up: people are often too busy to think, let alone spend quiet or quality friend time with each other.

What Kane has done here is brought in the archaeological moments and friendships (along with hiccups to work out along the way) and added new people into the mix, changing dynamics while pushing our main characters forward in their growth. With the addition of Helen, opportunities to use archaeology and the tasks required are highlighted for the veterans coming to Sam’s program while money woes, a new employee, a new batch of chickens to mix with Tony Stark’s crew and some lovely moments featuring the wise words of a five-year old boy bring us to new opportunities, new hopes and plenty of smiles all around.  A lovely foray into friendships, romances, the steady if not always forward progression of overcoming limitations and trauma, and plenty of laughs and advice from unlikely corners, I can’t wait for the next installment.

I received an eArc copy of the title from the publisher via NetGalley for purpose of honest review. I was not compensated for this review: all conclusions are my own responsibility.

Review first appeared at <a href=” https://wp.me/p3OmRo-aNt  /” > <a> I am, Indeed </a>
I enjoyed this book. I had never read anything by this author. I liked the story and the characters.
It takes a village, doesn't it?  This is a sweet story, with a little romance, about helping one another.  Sam and Tina are working to create a facility for wounded veterans,  Sam himself has PTSD from his deployments which has manifested as claustrophobia.  At the same time, young Thea, an archeologist, is working in the area while worrying about her relationship.  There are some delightful people in the village- Burt and Mabel in particular.  It will make you smile.  Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.  This is a light read that touches on some tough subjects and does so with heart.
I loved this charming story and found it hard to put down. It was full of brilliant characters and a really interesting plot lines and kept my attention throughout. Based in a town on the Somerset and Devon border, where I live, so I found it fascinating to read about places I knew really well. I was fascinated by the archaeological themes in the story and will have to go and check some of the actual sites out for myself now.

I loved Tina and Sam's story, they are such a great couple and I was rooting for Sam the whole way through, hoping he could overcome his PTSD induced claustrophobia. Bert and Mabel were fantastic secondary characters, I liked how supportive they were. In fact, I loved them all.

This is the second Mill Grange book and I actually hadn't read MidSummer at Mill Grange, so didn't know any of the characters. However, this made absolutely no difference to my enjoyment of this lovely story, but I will be going back to read it now. I do hope there is another book in the series.
It’s like coming home to old friends.

Starting where off we lect the Mill Grange gang, we find Sam welcoming the first of his military veterans and Bert helping him battle his demons.

Shaun is away filming at a site in Cornwall and oblivious to the devious twenty something heiress' attempts to dig her claws into him and delay his time at her parents estate.

A few new faces join the gang at Mill Grange and I am hopeful that book 3 will expand on their relationship.
Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange was a charming read. I liked how the author dealth with severe claustrophobia, as the story shows just how crippling mental illness sometimes can be. I thought the concept that Sam and Tina is setting up at Mill Grange for veterans were pretty neat, especially considering the mental health aspects. I also really liked several of the dynamics between the characters, whether it's Sam and Tina, or any of the other ones. The plot and storyline was overall well written and the characters were complex and had character development through the story.

Overall, it was a good and engaging read.
Loved loved this book! The author tackled some difficult issues and has a remarkable creation!
Her passionate handling of PTSD was a stroke of genius and I felt Sam’s pain because my husband and son both have PTSD from their tours in Iraq 🇮🇶 and Afghanistan 🇦🇫! It’s not easy coming home and adjusting back to civilian life and then to have individuals not supportive make it all that much harder. However, the place Sam and Tina & others are setting up to rehabilitate and refuge will enable those suffering a chance to seek acceptance for their differences and sufferings. Setting up new things can cause internal issues and just wait for these fireworks!

Thea is trying to maintain a long distance relationship, but she is worried that a woman at the other end is moving in on her territory. However, her partner seems to be clueless of the advances which can acerbate a situation that he may not be able to extricate himself from if he is not careful. Women can set traps especially if they are young and it’s more of hero worship. Issues the galore with young love!

Parental interaction and behind the scenes behaviors can truly affect relationships if honesty is not up front between partners. Parents that are estranged from adult children can be difficult and when others interfere it does make for a rocky road. Watch for the bursts of emotions in the course of this quandary!

There are so many other dynamics that this author develops into the storyline, but It is done without clouding the characters or the flow of the book.
The inspiration that gave her the epiphany for this book was brilliant! Every single thought came together as a perfect sound pitch of a piano key. Her vision for this book must have been amazing because I am blown away by each characters unique history because they weaved together as a family!
I hope that there is going to be a sequel with this exceptional family of characters because I will buy it!

Thank you to the authors and publishers who work diligently for us the readers!

I received an advanced copy from NetGalley and these are my willingly given thoughts and opinions.
This was my first book by this author, It was pretty enjoyable. I would give this book a 3.5 star rating! It was a pretty Quick and easy read!
I absolutely loved this story about two archeological sites, both country house based and two couples and being a huge Time Team fan enjoyed the filming element and subsequent tensions associated with this in the story. Shaun is presenting archeological shows for filming and is close friends with Sam who has bought a country house which he hopes to use for recovering ex army traumatised people where they can relax, participate and join in the archeological discovery of a Roman site, unusual for Cornwall. There is jeopardy all round - the young Sophie whose crush on him threatens Shaun's relationship with Thea. There's Sam who has ahuge phobia about entering buildings and sleeps in a tent outside. Tina whose story I very much enjoyed is working on her relationship with Sam. The story follows many twists and turns as there is a race against time and a competitive film company pitching to film at Mill Grange. Even so all is not what it seems. Will Sam overcome his phobia,; will Sophie see sense; can Thea untangle mysterious occurrences ; will the filming happen at Mill Grange. As in Shakespeare there's a long way to go before all falls into harmony and the read to find out what happens is compulsive. I highly reccomended this start to a new series from Jenny Kane. The plotting and characterisation is flawless.
I have not read the first book, but it does not detract from my enjoyment. This book was a great escape for everything that is going on at the moment. I could just curl up with this story and enjoy the town of Mill Grange. I enjoyed all of the autumn vibes, and I look forward to more from this author.
When you have to stay where you are. Use your books as your escapism to far flung exotic lotations, feel the sun, the sea the sand, and go on a journey with the characters of the book and get lost in the pages. It will help transport you somewhere else eben just for a little while.
Autumn Leaves at Mill Grange sounded like a really fun, light-hearted read.  It was light-hearted but I just didn't really care for the characters.  The setting is what drew me to this book, and that part was wonderful.  Thank you to Netgalley for this free ebook in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this lighthearted story. It was lovely to be reacquainted with some familiar characters again. I especially love Bert and Mabel. I found the character of Sam really intriguing  and enjoyed finding out more about him. The plot line kept me hooked until the end. I highly recommend this book, Mill Grange is a gorgeous place to escape to.
Another hit in the series. Continues where the first one ended. We are shown the stories of Sam and Tina, Thea and Shaun and of course Bert and Mable (liked her much better in this one than the first book). Only thing missing was Jude and Holly, who briefly showed up in the first book. Their story, a Christmas one, is one of my favorites. Highly recommend this book, series and author.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an early review copy.

Sam’s time in the forces has changed him forever.

Now, with the support of his friends, he is eager to help make Mill Grange a beautiful retreat for those injured in the army.

But, due to his claustrophobia, this means Sam is living in a tent on the grounds of Mill Grange.

With the help of his neighbours the charming, Bert and Mabel, Tina is more than determined to find a way for him to get over his fears. But she’s got this feeling that a secret is being kept from her by Sam.

Thea, is thrilled to lead the excavation of a Roman fortlet. Her boyfriend Shaun is filming in Cornwall. Thea’s missing having his company, especially now that there’s someone else is vying for his attention..

Will Sam be able to conquer his fears and get Mill Grange open to those he wants to help????

Thoroughly enjoyed reading this second book and catching up with the characters again.
A great follow up in the series at Mill Grange. It was lovely to be in the Exmoor countryside again, and to visit the Culmstock Beacon, an added bonus. This second in the series at Mill Grange was a wonderful  re-introduction to some of the largre than life characters - I especially like Bert and Mabel. Looking forward to the next adventures at Mill Grange.