Cover Image: Dragon Detective

Dragon Detective

Mell Eight has started on the young kits stories with Nickel’s - yet not really Nickel’s story. Zinc’s egg twin, Platinum, is the focus of Dragon Detective. Nickel is on Platinum’s trail as are the scientists who held Platinum captive.

We learn what happened to Platinum during his time in captivity and get a glimpse of what may have happened to other dragons. Eight also shows us what is ahead for Lumie, Nickel, and Platinum and possibly Alloy.

Detective is action-packed and at times very funny due to Lumie’s exploits. Eight lays the groundwork for what is to come and I am beyond excited for this journey. So far the scientists are ahead, but I think Eight will have our dragons give them a run for their money.

I cannot wait for the next book and if you are just starting with this one, you have picked the right one!

I received an ARC of this book and I am writing a review without prejudice and voluntarily.
I know that this was Nickel’s story, but once again, Lumie stole the show. I adore that little dragon. ❤

I don’t want to give anything away, but it becomes apparent pretty early in Dragon Detective that another tortured dragon has been found – or close to being found. Things aren’t always as they seem though and it’s not always easy to know who to trust.

Dragon Detective skips a few more years in the life of Dane, Mercury and their growing family. As much as I’ve loved spending time with the parents in this adorable family, I think I’m going to enjoy getting to know the kits even better. Nickel and Platinum’s story continues in Dragon Soldier.
Like the rest of the series Dragon Detective is short on pages but long on entertainment. Nickel and Platinum were wonderful characters and I loved seeing an older Nickel as he takes the lead in an investigation that leads him to Platinum. I'm looking forward to the next book to get more of this fascinating world and its wonderful characters.

*I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book provided by NetGalley*
Dragon Detective seems okay, when I was starting my read I really didn't know it was a series. So it was talking about the characters and I could tell that we were going to get some background dumping.

I would recommend if you are really into dragons but I stopped just because it is a series. I would rather go back and read the beginning until this point. It's hard for me to get into series mid-way.

Did not finish for personal reasons but the first chapter seemed good so I would recommend if you are into the author or dragons or both!
The Supernatural Consultant series is a series I always look forward to.

I know when a new book comes out that I will enjoy it, and that it will be a quick and fun read with characters I love and root for. Found family is a favorite trope of mine, and this series has it in spades, with (immensely powerful) father figures who choose each other and their children (dragon kits), and build a loving and protective home.

In the fourth entry in the series, there is more of a focus on Nickel, one of the older kits, who is working with Dane (the Supernatural Consultant of the title). They continue their mission to try to track down the scientists who are doing cruel experiments on dragons, and this brings Platinum, who has escaped from a lab, into their lives.

Platinum is a great new character, and I am very interested to see where their relationship is headed. The other kits, and their family with Dane and Mercury, are as always a hilarious and mischevious delight. They are a highly unique, and very loving, family. With the switch in focus, we get less of Mercury and Dane, whose characters and relationship I love, which was disappointing. But I do like seeing the kits' characters coming more front and center as well, I just wanted a little bit more of a balance there.

I'm excited for the next book in the series!
I wasn't a fan of this book, was more a novella that was rushed through with only a little bit of a story which was quite haphazardous and didn't flow the same way that other short stories can do.
I received a free copy of this book from Netgalley. I am leaving my honest review.

This is the fourth book in the series and unfortunately where I began.  The story stands on its own but I am missing relevant information that I would have has if I read the first three in the series.

It was a decent read but a little juvenile for my taste.  Perhaps I should read the others in the series.
An entertaining novella and a good addition to this series.
I liked the plot, the characters and the world building.
It's better to read the series in order to enjoy it.
Recommended.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
This is the fourth story in a series, and best enjoyed when read in series.

Dane, a demigod, and his husband Mercury, a precious dragon shifter, have been diligently assisting dragons in need for the past ten years, while also raising their clutch of mis-matched and genetically-modified (by evil human scientists!!) kits.

This is the first time the narrator is not either Dane or Mercury. Instead, Nickel, who is now an 18 year old dragon and a full-on detective working for Dane's supernatural consultant firm, tells half the story. The other half of the story is told by Platinum, an 18 y/o air dragon recently escaped from the experimentation lab where he's lived his whole life.

Platinum has been on the run for about three weeks. And, he's managed to hole up in a cabin in a tiny mountain town--learning how to survive on his own by taking odd jobs for cash. He smells the scent of dragons nearby though, so he knows he needs to move on before he's challenged for occupying the territory of another.

Nickel has taken on the role of lead investigator of a strange weather disturbance. At the same time, he's catching rumors of a new air dragon in the vicinity, and following a lead on some of the brutal human scientists who'd escaped capture by Dane and Mercury in a sting five years before. Nickel is a determined young man, bent on gaining justice for the dragons and eggs these cruel folks experimented on to steal their magic. Nickel and his kitmates have all survived such experimentation and he's more than ready to destroy anyone who plans to begin that business all over again.

This is a really interesting novella, with all the humor, twists and action that has become customary for this series. Nickel's kitmates are a hoot as usual, and a preteen Lumie is the wildest of this barely-tame bunch. His antics bring home not only Platinum, but a pair of kittens for the dragon kits to squabble over. Nickel's maturity and single-minded focus to his work is a great counterpoint to the actions of his dragon siblings. Meanwhile, Platinum's life is truly changing for the better. He's a special dragon, with untested and unwieldy powers thanks to the humans who experimented on him. It's good to see him get to use these powers to help himself remain free. It's also good to see that he and Nickel have an instant connection, one that may bear out a bit of romance in stories to come. In truth, Platinum is going to need a lot of TLC to connect with his kind in the real world, and I'm hoping that Nickel will be just the dragon for that job. He's got the strength, the smarts and the stamina, and I'd love to see a bit more of his heart as he hopefully gives it to Platinum.

Every review I've read from folks who have not read the series in order has lamented beginning in the middle, but not because the story can't stand on its own. More to the point, the richness and nuance of these characters' interactions makes the reader want to dig deeper. I know I'm really enjoying myself on these fights of urban fantasy.
A delightful short book (which I realized is number 4 in a series) on dragons living in the "human" world.
Really cute and sympathetic characters.
Perhaps because I jumped in later, I felt like I could use a lot more background information. But I'll check out book 1-3. I would have preferred to read the whole series in one book in one go though.
Good for anyone who enjoys fantasy, LGBTQ relationships and dragons. But let's be real, who doesn't like dragons?
Dragons!  And dragons with magic!  And elemental dragons with magic!  Right up my alley.

This book is the fourth in the series and the first I have read.  The story is easy to understand without reading the others but it is just as easy to realize that I was missing a lot of background information that would have enhanced my reading experience.  In fact, after reading the summaries of the earlier books it was obvious I was missing even more than I realized and this was a rich world populated with many other magical species.

This was a straightforward and solid story.  There really wasn't any detection or a mystery to be solved.  There wasn't a cliffhanger but there are threads left to be developed later.  I'm sure I would have enjoyed it even more if I had read the previous stories.

I received an ARC from Netgalley and from the publisher in return for a fair review.
I'm giving this a forward-leaning 3.5 stars mostly because I am intrigued by the world, but I am afraid that this isn't one of those series where you can just jump in at any volume and enjoy. It just felt like I was expected to know more about all the characters and the unique world that they're inhabiting than what was explained within the book.
That said, the story focuses mainly on Nickel and Platinum and the bond they have due to the evil scientists that are experimenting on dragons and torturing them (and may or may not be government-funded, I'm not sure). Nickel escaped them as a baby/kit and is now set on hunting them down and bringing them to justice with the help of the Supernatural Consultant Dane, and Platinum is on the run after finally escaping. A lot happens as the plot progresses and many happy discoveries and reunions take place.
It's, overall, a very positive book with action and warm-and-fuzzies galore. Definitely intrigued me enough to want to see if reading the preceding volumes would shed more light on things because it does definitely present a rather intriguing world.

Many happy thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the early read.